Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt's Cap Status Update....

NewColtsFan

Saw this on ESPN.com and just confirmed with OverTheCap.com....

Colts have $13.4 Mill left in cap room.    That's 10th in the NFL.

Here's a link with roster salaries and cap hits and dead cap money, etc.      Everything you wanted to know about the Colts financially but didn't know how to find....   it's in the link....

Enjoy!          :thmup:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Colts&Year=2014

I really "hate" to be "that guy" but I can't help but wonder.......... how in the name of apple juice is our defense making more $$$ than our offense yet our offense is better than our defense???

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

becuz our defense has more veteran players (therefore have more expensive contracts)....and our offense still has a lot of young talent (2012 draft class) still on rookie contracts and not as many vets on that side.....which equals more money spent "Right Now" on Defense than Offense.

$13.4 mil left with the draft to come.  I like that.  It seems like enough money to sign all the draft picks, plus another free agent or two

Which brings me to my next point... why is DLP still out there? What is wrong? I would love to hear the dirty on what is up with dat!

$13.4 mil left with the draft to come.  I like that.  It seems like enough money to sign all the draft picks, plus another free agent or two

Or - extra money to spend in the next couple years when all the young guys need to be re-signed.

I'm for improving the team but at this point I'm not sure there are too many FAs out there that are worth anything, or they're much of an upgrade over guys on the roster.

I really "hate" to be "that guy" but I can't help but wonder.......... how in the name of apple juice is our defense making more $$$ than our offense yet our offense is better than our defense???

:lol:  :funny:  lmao I like your angry statement of sheer dumbfoundedness there [what I bolded] or maybe shocking surprise would be a better way to phrase it...

Like for instance, "how in the name of apple juice" is Matthew Hasselbeck making $1,750,000 in salary as a backup QB with a possible bonus of $1,500,000? I respect Matthew's experience naturally & I want him to win a ring sure, but  that's just darn good money as a backup. But, then I remind myself of Curtis Painter & I realize that you must pay handsomely for quality & SW1 is cool with it. 

I never really kept track of what a quality backup QB really makes. It appears to be good work if you can find it. Not too shabby actually. I'm just saying. Of course, it also depends on what city you live in too & the cost of living among different cities too. 

That would be an interesting article the highest paid QB backups & what goes into GMs & owners forking over the most dollars to a veteran who will never see the field but will mentor the next hopefully elite QB. Like what criteria goes into figuring out how much Kellen Clemens in San Diego & now Mark Sanchez in Philadelphia gets? Just thinking outloud...Backup QBs are so vital & yet they are seldom if ever talked about. 

According to that list, only Kelvin Sheppard was eligible for a workout bonus of $30,000. Strange because I thought all NFL clubs were in the practice of giving out a workout bonus if a designated athlete remained on the roster through a specific date? 

I will confess that I am no workout bonus expert, but doesn't a workout bonus create the incentive to stay in shape & physically fit? I would have thought that a little extra cash in a player's pocket would be a better motivator to stay lean & mean than a stern strength & conditioning coach myself. 

"Dead money" I always find that expression funny. They should call it "highway robbery money" because the athlete in question never panned out & they took the owner who signed the check all the way to the cleaners. 

Samson Satele cost us $1,066,668 against the cap. Wow, that's a lot of Benjamins right there. SMH...Yes, it's all about calculated risk I know. I'm just glad he is finally gone. 

I realize football is a team sport & that everyone on the roster must do their part to help whatever squad you play for to secure a win & that in the age of the internet nothing is private anymore, but posting base salaries online  is not real conducive to bonding as a collective unit. 

Jerrell Freeman is making $570,000 in base salary vs say Pat McAfee making $2,750,000. Okay yes, we are talking LB vs punter & CFL vs NFL experience I realize that, but publishing how much 1 person makes over another can rub people the wrong way & royally tick them off.

It's the same reason why your boss probably doesn't disclose how much money they make annually in the company newsletter. Such information can lead to intense resentment or depression & kill chemistry overall. 

Is it just me or does the name Xavier Nixon sound like a Stan Lee comic book villain that got locked up by the Feds & keeps mumbling "I'm not a crook" over & over again from his prison cell? I kid; I kid.  :P

Just kidding! It's late & my sarcastic meter just flipped on. Feel free to contribute here my fellow forum members...I really have nothing left here to say at this point on this topic. 

"Anyone? Anyone?" --A "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" film joke reference...Yes, SW1 just dated myself timeline wise I know that.  haha

I would have to say they are saving money for next year Free Agents.

But if they are going to spend more money,I wish they would spend it in the secondary?

I'm not 100% sold on the players we have in that position right now.

L.L. and Toler are injury prone,and we still need somebody to take over for A.B.

Freeman is making only $575,000 this year, and Kelvin Sheppard is making $749,925 this year.  Our contract situations are weird. 

That's easy.

Most of our offensive weapons are still in their rookie deals Luck, Allen, Fleener, Richardson, Hilton etc.. That will change soon though.

Hopefully we can keep them all. I could part ways with Ballard.. But hopefully we keep Fleener AND Allen.. Luck and TY ARENT going Anywhere obviously

Here's a link with roster salaries and cap hits and dead cap money, etc.      Everything you wanted to know about the Colts financially but didn't know how to find....   it's in the link....

So what the heck are they doing that is more than enough money to sign one more good player and still be able to pay your draft picks.

becuz our defense has more veteran players (therefore have more expensive contracts)....and our offense still has a lot of young talent (2012 draft class) still on rookie contracts and not as many vets on that side.....which equals more money spent "Right Now" on Defense than Offense.

Plus, we spent a lot on defense this offseason and haven't seen them play.

Freeman is making only $575,000 this year, and Kelvin Sheppard is making $749,925 this year.  Our contract situations are weird. 

You have to understand that guys play for cheap in their first 4 years.  The system is designed to make sure that you play for cheap for 4 years of your career.  They do that with the rookie salary cap, the exclusive rights free agent set up and the restricted free agent set up.

Once you have paid your dues for those 4 years, you can get some big money deals assuming you are good enough.

:lol:  :funny:  lmao I like your angry statement of sheer dumbfoundedness there [what I bolded] or maybe shocking surprise would be a better way to phrase it...

Like for instance, "how in the name of apple juice" is Matthew Hasselbeck making $1,750,000 in salary as a backup QB with a possible bonus of $1,500,000? I respect Matthew's experience naturally & I want him to win a ring sure, but  that's just darn good money as a backup. But, then I remind myself of Curtis Painter & I realize that you must pay handsomely for quality & SW1 is cool with it. 

I never really kept track of what a quality backup QB really makes. It appears to be good work if you can find it. Not too shabby actually. I'm just saying. Of course, it also depends on what city you live in too & the cost of living among different cities too. 

That would be an interesting article the highest paid QB backups & what goes into GMs & owners forking over the most dollars to a veteran who will never see the field but will mentor the next hopefully elite QB. Like what criteria goes into figuring out how much Kellen Clemens in San Diego & now Mark Sanchez in Philadelphia gets? Just thinking outloud...Backup QBs are so vital & yet they are seldom if ever talked about. 

A high level backup such as Hasselbeck is worth about 3 to 4 million per year on the open market.  So we got him at about the right price there.  

Thing to remember is guys in their first 4 years of service have never really hit the open market and are on cheaper contracts then guys who've been in the league 5 years or more.  

Which brings me to my next point... why is DLP still out there? What is wrong? I would love to hear the dirty on what is up with dat!

Really? Consider googling him and read up on him.

Go to a Saints forum and the fans explain it. Just like EDS, the UDFA from GB, they Both played between guard tandums that were among the best. Now think about Poor Satele. His Guards may have been the Worst tandum both years. Ouch!

An example that showed this season. Paul Kruger was only OK when Suggs wasn`t on the field and was highly effective when he played.

If the colts are doing such a great job now with our man Grigs, explain one thing to me. 8 of our top 10 cap hits are on defense. Why is our defense so poor (26 th)? Is it top pay for mediocre free agent talent? No wonder some of this average talent signs with the colts....for more than they merit and they can only get that much money any where else....go Greg's!

It's actually more like $16.5m. Our cap, adjusted for 2013 rollover, is $133.3m. Only the top 51 contracts + dead money count against the cap prior to the regular season, and that number for us is $116.8m. According to Spotrac, that gives us the 7th most cap space, for right now. http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

If the colts are doing such a great job now with our man Grigs, explain one thing to me. 8 of our top 10 cap hits are on defense. Why is our defense so poor (26 th)? Is it top pay for mediocre free agent talent? No wonder some of this average talent signs with the colts....for more than they merit and they can only get that much money any where else....go Greg's!

Way to not get it!

:facepalm:

Really? Consider googling him and read up on him.

Go to a Saints forum and the fans explain it. Just like EDS, the UDFA from GB, they Both played between guard tandums that were among the best. Now think about Poor Satele. His Guards may have been the Worst tandum both years. Ouch!

An example that showed this season. Paul Kruger was only OK when Suggs wasn`t on the field and was highly effective when he played.

Good points. If Thomas returns to form and Thorton progresses we may be fine with Holmes or Costa.

But I hate counting on "ifs".

So what the heck are they doing that is more than enough money to sign one more good player and still be able to pay your draft picks.

Dunno?

I know some will be held for the season and the inevitable injuries that we all know are going to come.

No team spends all their money.    You always hold some in reserve.

But maybe they think a player is still going to come free?    A veteran who will be cut in the next 5 weeks prior to the draft,  or be cut after the draft?

Otherwise,  I don't know.....

goes to show, you can spend all the money in the world on one side of the ball to try and improve it but if they don't play as a " TEAM " or perform like we expect, it means nothing except wasting money on guys who are overrated. sorry but I was never sold on Walden or Toler. was against the signings and said they would not be worth the contracts they were given.

Take a look at the Colts record since Grigson has taken over. Do you really know why and what makes free agents? Do you know how the cap space works? Do you know the inside and outsides of aquiring players for the NFL? Did you pay any attention to the players that had to be aquired when Grigson was hired? Were you aware of the serious dead cap space Grigson had to deal with when he joined the Colts? Were you aware he won the GM of the year from the NFL?

I'm pretty happy with what we have. I would like to bring in a guard on a 1 yr deal because I worry if Thomas will be ready to go or 100% effective coming off those two big injuries. Everything else...I'm good to go with the draft.

Our best offensive players, in no particular order: Luck, Wayne, Hilton, Ballard, Cherilus, Castonzo, Allen, Fleener. Six of the eight are still on rookie contracts, and Wayne is on a fairly discounted contract. Cherilus is among the highest paid at his position. So we're getting a discount on seven of our eight best offensive players.

Our best defensive players, in no particular order: Mathis, Davis, Freeman, Landry, Redding.... Honorable mention for Toler, Walden, Chapman. All but two of them are on veteran contracts. Only Davis and Mathis are being paid elite or near elite money for their position, and maybe we're getting a little bit of a discount on Redding, but he's still making veteran money. Landry, Toler, Walden are being paid about average money for players with their years of service. So we're only really getting significant discounts on two of our eight "best" defensive players.

I purposely left out this year's signings for anyone who is new to the team, but if you include Jackson and Jones, it becomes even more obvious. Even the Nicks signing doesn't balance it out, because Nicks is on a low-rent deal. This will begin to balance out as our young offensive players come up for new deals over the next two years.

That should explain the discrepancy for anyone who sincerely wonders. Others will just ignore.

Our best offensive players, in no particular order: Luck, Wayne, Hilton, Ballard, Cherilus, Castonzo, Allen, Fleener. Six of the eight are still on rookie contracts, and Wayne is on a fairly discounted contract. Cherilus is among the highest paid at his position. So we're getting a discount on seven of our eight best offensive players.

Our best defensive players, in no particular order: Mathis, Davis, Freeman, Landry, Redding.... Honorable mention for Toler, Walden, Chapman. All but two of them are on veteran contracts. Only Davis and Mathis are being paid elite or near elite money for their position, and maybe we're getting a little bit of a discount on Redding, but he's still making veteran money. Landry, Toler, Walden are being paid about average money for players with their years of service. So we're only really getting significant discounts on two of our eight "best" defensive players.

I purposely left out this year's signings for anyone who is new to the team, but if you include Jackson and Jones, it becomes even more obvious. Even the Nicks signing doesn't balance it out, because Nicks is on a low-rent deal. This will begin to balance out as our young offensive players come up for new deals over the next two years.

That should explain the discrepancy for anyone who sincerely wonders. Others will just ignore.

Ding-ding!    Ding-ding!!    Ding-ding!!!

For the crowd that likes to default to....   "what is Grigson doing?!?   Why is he spending so much on Defense and not enough on offense?!?"....   Superman's post here explains it so anyone can understand it.    Anyone. 

Well,  maybe not JShipp,   but ALMOST anyone!!  (lol!)

This is why Superman is Superman.....   he comes along out of nowhere to save the day!

This is correct.  

Key to understanding the cap situation is how cheap players are when they are on rookie contracts in comparison to vets who almost always cost 3 million or more if they are expected to start.  Shoot Hasselback costs almost 4 million in cap space and he's just a really good backup.

This is why drafting well is so important to putting together a championship team.  Because players of TY Hilton's ability for example don't play for $706,850 in total cap hit when you sign them off the open market.   When he hits the open market HIlton's going to likely be looking for 7 or 8 million a year.  But for right now his cap hit is so small it's not really even worth mentioning and doesn't make a blip on our cap space.  

And Luck is only 6 million against the cap right now, but when we re-sign him it will likely be for 20 million a year against the cap.