Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Prospects that the Colts have shown interest in.

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2014-articles/march/colts-draft-prospect-interest-tracker.html

WR Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin (Pro Day)

WR Davante Adams, Fresno State (Private workout)

RB/WR Dri Archer, Kent State (Private workout)

S Nat Berhe, San Diego State (Pro Day)

OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada (Pro Day)

OLB Carl Bradford, Arizona State (Pro Day)

WR John Brown, Pitt State (Pro Day)

LB Preston Brown, Louisville (Pro Day)

S Deone Bucannon, Washington State (Pro Day)

DE/LB Scott Crichton, Oregon State (Pro Day)

OT Dakota Dozier, Furman (Pro Day)

RB Timothy Flanders, Sam Houston State (Pro Day)

RB David Fluellen, Toledo (Pro Day)

DE Taylor Hart, Oregon (Pro Day)

CB Jack Howard, Lane College (Pro Day)

TE Marcel Jensen, Fresno State (Private workout)

WR Ryan Lankford, Illinois (Pro Day)

DE Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State (Pro Day)

CB Keith Lewis, Virginia University of Lynchburg (workout)

RB Tre Mason (Pro Day)

C Marcus Martin, USC (Pro Day)

WR Eddie Poole, Bethune-Cookman (Pro Day)

OT Bryce Quigley, San Diego State (Pro Day)

OG Cyril Richardson, Baylor (Pro Day)

WR/KR Nathan Slaughter, West Texas A&M (Pro Day)

LB Marcus Smith, Louisville (Pro Day)

DT Will Sutton, Arizona State (Pro Day)

OL Josh Walker, MTSU (Private Workout)

S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois (Pro Day)

Marcus Martin sounds interesting to me. Heres what ESPN has to say about him.

Production 2 2011: Started final 10 games at LOG. 2012: Appeared in all 12 games starting 10 at LOG. 2013: Started all 13 games that he played at OC. Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses prototypical height with above-average bulk and a thick anchor. Estimated top-end speed is above-average. Durability 4 Carted off the field of the UCLA game with left knee injury in the 2013 season finale and missed their bowl game against Fresno State. Still recovering from injury at the NFL Combine. Intangibles 1 Strong overall makeup. High character individual and accountable. Highly respected by coaches and teammates. Elected as a junior captain this past fall. Brings added versatility with experience at both guard and center.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
Offensive Center Specific Traits
Pass Protection 2 Above-average flexibility and light on his feet. Moves well laterally to mirror rushers. Heavy hands and powerful upper body. Flashes ability to jar rushers with punch. Thick and strong anchor and can neutralize interior power moves. Must work on patience in sets and will get caught lunging making vulnerable to quicker interior rushers at times. Run Blocking 2 Quick first step and excellent range executing scoop/reach blocks. Above-average inline power and flashes ability to drive and steer defenders off the ball. Must learn to enter contact with better balance and will occasionally fall of blocks. Easy mover in space but can clean up angles climbing to the second level. Awareness 3 Still has development in this area. Will be a split second late identifying defensive line movement or pressures. Has the athleticism to recover when not in quality initial position. Better awareness as a run blocker but will be late adjusting on the fly and passes up color too often. Toughness 1 Physical and tough. Wiling to mix it up and flashes a nasty side. Consistent finisher and will avalanche defenders once getting them to the ground. Hustles downfield and looks to clean up piles.

1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

Ehh that knee injury bothers me.  Maybe it allows us to steal him as a late round pick.

We should just go BPA, we have ALOT of guys we're gonna have to replace after this season.  So even if a player may not fill a specific need right now, he will in a year.

And the more guys we can replace with draft picks the better we are gonna be cap wise.  

Ehh that knee injury bothers me.  Maybe it allows us to steal him as a late round pick.

We should just go BPA, we have ALOT of guys we're gonna have to replace after this season.  So even if a player may not fill a specific need right now, he will in a year.

And the more guys we can replace with draft picks the better we are gonna be cap wise.  

I agree that Id rather get a vet, but Im just speculating. 

IF they decide to go Center in the draft, then he sounds like he might be a good fit.

It's interesting that so far there aren't an abundance of Offensive linemen on this list. Lots of RB's n Wr's but only 3 safeties. Although I think these lists probably don't mean a lot. Just because they showed interest in these guys doesn't mean that they don't have interest in a lot of other players. These just may be the guys they don't know a lot about and want to get a closer look at.

It's interesting that so far there aren't an abundance of Offensive linemen on this list. Lots of RB's n Wr's but only 3 safeties. Although I think these lists probably don't mean a lot. Just because they showed interest in these guys doesn't mean that they don't have interest in a lot of other players. These just may be the guys they don't know a lot about and want to get a closer look at.

I think for a lot of players the game tape and the combine results tell you most of what you need to know about a player.

Plus even if you aren't at a pro-day you can still get the results of that pro-day on the internet.

On top of that the media is really good about following these players closely so you know ahead of time usually if there are any red flags on guys.  Not just arrests but the media gets so deep that you tend to know if players have a strong work ethic or not at practice.  

I think it would be a waste to draft a skill position on offense this year.  Get guys for the O-line and anywhere on defense.  There are only 3 positions on defense that we could not use either an upgrade or someone younger to be taking over in a year.  

I agree about the BPA comment - always.  Get one good long term player and you've had a good draft.  Regarding players to replace next year, that is overstated.  We will actually have a pretty stable roster next off-season.  The only significant re-signing decisions are Wayne, Redding, Castonzo and Nicks.  Wayne and Redding will be easy to retain on a 1 or 2 year cap friendly deal, or it will be time to move on anyway.  Nicks either becomes a core player or he doesn't.  Castonzo is the only future building block up in the air right now, and if he has an elite year, we'll have the cap space to franchise him.  Not expecting that, but the point is that core of our team is very secure through 2015.  Hopefully we make some wise extension decisions by the end of 2014, but Grigs showed us this year that he is very willing to let core guys go to the market.

Interesting for them to look at Tre Mason. Also surprised that Stanley Jean-Baptiste isn't on the list.

Remember how Pagano is basically trying to make the Colts into Baltimore lite? Pretty sure he sees Mason as a Ray Rice clone which is accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the highest rated players on their board. I guarantee he's their top rated RB.

Also nice to see that  they talked to Ward and Bucannon.

FWIW, Kiper has him listed at #48OVR with the knee injury.

Interesting for them to look at Tre Mason. Also surprised that Stanley Jean-Baptiste isn't on the list.

IF you read the article it says these are players the Colts looked at OR talked to. Neither Grigs or Chuck were at the Mason pro day. The chances of us drafting him, or any RB, have to be about the same as winning the lotto.

Plus, it's still early, they could still work out SJB.

IF you read the article it says these are players the Colts looked at OR talked to. Neither Grigs or Chuck were at the Mason pro day. The chances of us drafting him, or any RB, have to be about the same as winning the lotto.

Plus, it's still early, they could still work out SJB.

It's not a stretch to draft a RB at all.  I understand why people would make that assumption, but Bradshaw hasn't made the team yet.  You always need productive RB's on a rookie contract.

Remember how Pagano is basically trying to make the Colts into Baltimore lite? Pretty sure he sees Mason as a Ray Rice clone which is accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the highest rated players on their board. I guarantee he's their top rated RB.

Also nice to see that  they talked to Ward and Bucannon.

Cant say Im real impressed with Mason, He puts the ball on the ground quite  a bit (8 fumbles the last 2 seasons) Is impatient waiting for his blocks to set up a bit....runs up the back of them a bit to much, Does show good balance and good hands and good...but not elite speed, doesn't always explode through the hole

It's not a stretch to draft a RB at all.  I understand why people would make that assumption, but Bradshaw hasn't made the team yet.  You always need productive RB's on a rookie contract.

Late rounds for a rb, I think its also a given Bradshaw will make the team unless some serious injury happens and that can be said for almost any player

Besides Bradshaw, aren't all of the RBs on the roster on rookie contracts?

IMO, it's not a stretch to draft a guy in the late rounds, but I really doubt they'd blow a high draft pick on Mason when it's not a position of need. Just MHO.

I agree about the BPA comment - always.  Get one good long term player and you've had a good draft.  Regarding players to replace next year, that is overstated.  We will actually have a pretty stable roster next off-season.  The only significant re-signing decisions are Wayne, Redding, Castonzo and Nicks.  Wayne and Redding will be easy to retain on a 1 or 2 year cap friendly deal, or it will be time to move on anyway.  Nicks either becomes a core player or he doesn't.  Castonzo is the only future building block up in the air right now, and if he has an elite year, we'll have the cap space to franchise him.  Not expecting that, but the point is that core of our team is very secure through 2015.  Hopefully we make some wise extension decisions by the end of 2014, but Grigs showed us this year that he is very willing to let core guys go to the market.

Re: Wayne and Redding.  Honestly I think we need to consider moving on from them.  They are old and we need to be constantly trying to get younger.  Wayne we might have the guys on the roster to move on without him.  Especially if Nicks pans out and we re-sign him.  Redding we aught to consider drafting a DE to replace him.  

You also have to decide what to do with Castonzo.  I'm ok with re-signing him but he's not worth franchising.  

2016 though is when it all blows up.  

Luck, Mathis, Richardson, Toler, Vinny, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Ballard, Brazil, Chapman all hit UFA.  Presuming we tender Freeman, he'll be UFA too, the same with Overton, although I doubt a long snapper would draw a huge salary.   Mathis should go, too old too expensive.  Luck of course has to stay.  

Right now we are only committed to $60 million in salary for 16 players for the 2016 season and about 17 million of that is guaranteed.  But we'll have to choose who we bring back carefully.  

Re: Wayne and Redding.  Honestly I think we need to consider moving on from them.  They are old and we need to be constantly trying to get younger.  Wayne we might have the guys on the roster to move on without him.  Especially if Nicks pans out and we re-sign him.  Redding we aught to consider drafting a DE to replace him.  

You also have to decide what to do with Castonzo.  I'm ok with re-signing him but he's not worth franchising.  

Luck, Mathis, Richardson, Toler, Vinny, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Ballard, Brazil, Chapman all hit UFA.  Presuming we tender Freeman, he'll be UFA too, the same with Overton, although I doubt a long snapper would draw a huge salary.   Mathis should go, too old too expensive.  Luck of course has to stay.  

Right now we are only committed to $60 million in salary for 16 players for the 2016 season and about 17 million of that is guaranteed.  But we'll have to choose who we bring back carefully.  

Of the 2016's that I consider to be Mainstays I don't see Robert Mathis coming back. He had his best year this year but he will start to wear down. I see Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton as the mainstays in that group. Unless something drastically changes I don't see the others being retained or they are expendable.

Besides Bradshaw, aren't all of the RBs on the roster on rookie contracts?

IMO, it's not a stretch to draft a guy in the late rounds, but I really doubt they'd blow a high draft pick on Mason when it's not a position of need. Just MHO.

Agree about the later rounds being the only real look we'll have at RB's and I don't expect one then either, just wouldn't be a hugh shock if a good player is there.  Of course we have 2 RB's on rookie deals, but in 2 years we won't so having it staggered by 2 years gives you depth today at security tomorrow.

Yep, 2016 is what we are bracing for, and 2014 is a crucial year for most of the guys on that list.  In reality, odds are that only 3 of those names will prove to be franchise retention level talents and we know 1 of them already.  It will simplify to Luck, Allen and Hilton with an option to extend Mathis a year or 2 if he is still playing at a high level (chances are he will).  The others are very replaceable parts.

Agree about the later rounds being the only real look we'll have at RB's and I don't expect one then either, just wouldn't be a hugh shock if a good player is there.  Of course we have 2 RB's on rookie deals, but in 2 years we won't so having it staggered by 2 years gives you depth today at security tomorrow.

I get you.  But RB is such an undervalued position now, not too many guys get big second contracts.  There's always another rookie coming up to take their place.

It wouldn't surprise me if we take a guy in the later rounds, like last year.  People on the forum will have him being the next Sproles or Hester, until they see him play.  Then everyone realizes why he was available in the late rounds.

Of the 2016's that I consider to be Mainstays I don't see Robert Mathis coming back. He had his best year this year but he will start to wear down. I see Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton as the mainstays in that group. Unless something drastically changes I don't see the others being retained or they are expendable.

I think we should pick between Allen and Fleener and only re-sign one.  Chapman, Ballard and Brazil we might be able to bring back without breaking the bank.

Hilton I'm worried about.  He'll be one of the top FA Wide Receivers on the market and could draw a huge contract.  I'll be happy to if we manage to retain him for anything less then 8 milion APY.  What I'm afraid he's going to do is pull a Mike Wallace sized deal (12 million APY)

I think we should pick between Allen and Fleener and only re-sign one.  Chapman, Ballard and Brazil we might be able to bring back without breaking the bank.

Hilton I'm worried about.  He'll be one of the top FA Wide Receivers on the market and could draw a huge contract.  I'll be happy to if we manage to retain him for anything less then 8 milion APY.  What I'm afraid he's going to do is pull a Mike Wallace sized deal (12 million APY)

WHATT!?! No way we give up either Allen or Fleener. Thats nuts!

WHATT!?! No way we give up either Allen or Fleener. Thats nuts!

Then we're gonna be spending a ton of money on what is essentially a #2 TE.  Assuming Allen comes back at full speed I have to say I've just not seen enough out of Fleener to say he's the one we want to retain.  He's a decent player, but he's just not that impressive.  He's still got 2 more years of course but right now I only see him as an average starter.  

I don't think you have to worry about Hilton getting Mike Wallace.

Several reasons.

First,  as Mike Wallace has shown, Mike Wallace isn't worth Mike Wallace money!   

Second,   Wallace is a bigger player, roughly 6'0" and 195 give or take.   Bigger than Hilton.    It's rare when a smaller receiver gets big money.   Off the top of my head only DeSean Jackson is getting it and look how fast Philly is trying to unload him.   Too much maintenance.   The guy is never happy.

Third,  I think he's viewed as much as a slot guy as an outside guy, so that cuts into his earning power.

Fourth,  I think TYH loves the Colts, loves playing with Luck and loves Indy.    I suspect we'll get a modest home town discount if we approach early enough.

We may not keep him....   but I don't think TYH getting $12 Mill will be the problem.

I don't think you have to worry about Hilton getting Mike Wallace.

Several reasons.

First,  as Mike Wallace has shown, Mike Wallace isn't worth Mike Wallace money!   

Second,   Wallace is a bigger player, roughly 6'0" and 195 give or take.   Bigger than Hilton.    It's rare when a smaller receiver gets big money.   Off the top of my head only DeSean Jackson is getting it and look how fast Philly is trying to unload him.   Too much maintenance.   The guy is never happy.

Third,  I think he's viewed as much as a slot guy as an outside guy, so that cuts into his earning power.

Fourth,  I think TYH loves the Colts, loves playing with Luck and loves Indy.    I suspect we'll get a modest home town discount if we approach early enough.

We may not keep him....   but I don't think TYH getting $12 Mill will be the problem.

Hope you are right, but I can see some team being willing to pay him because of some of the flashy plays he's made.

Our best chance I think is to approach him early and get the contract done early before his agent has the time to get offers from other teams.

Luck we are fortunate to have the team option on.  It will be expensive but so will his contract, and it gives us some amount of flexibility to hammer out a deal with him.

Actually looking at it the 5th year option will probably be cheaper then Luck's long term deal.  The 5th year option for top 10 picks is equal to the transition tag amounts.  This year that amount is 14.666 million.  So I can say we will most likely be using that option.  We have to use it this year though.

I get you.  But RB is such an undervalued position now, not too many guys get big second contracts.  There's always another rookie coming up to take their place.

It wouldn't surprise me if we take a guy in the later rounds, like last year.  People on the forum will have him being the next Sproles or Hester, until they see him play.  Then everyone realizes why he was available in the late rounds.

RB seems to be valued in our organization though. From day 1 Pagano and Grigson said they wanted to be able to stop the run and run the ball efficiently. And that idea is demonstrated in Pep Hamilton's play-calling. Our RB corps isn't a sure thing. 2 guys coming off big injuries and 1 guy who appears to be a bust. Maybe not early, but Imagine if Mason, Seastrunk, etc...is there in the 5th or 4th(predicting a trade sometime during the draft). They would pull the trigger. I also think Tyler Gaffney is worth a look late.

Tom James from the Tribune-Star always likes to remind people that there is less correlation than people think between who we "show interest in" and then actually draft. He says it is generally about 50/50 on whether a drafted player was even approached at all by the Colts pre-draft.

Tom James from the Tribune-Star always likes to remind people that there is less correlation than people think between who we "show interest in" and then actually draft. He says it is generally about 50/50 on whether a drafted player was even approached at all by the Colts pre-draft.

I have to say that has to suck a bit from the prospect's perspective.  Imagine you are sitting at home on draft day and you get a call from someone you've never met or talked to in your entire life and they ask you if you are ready to join their team.

Of course you are ready because you want to play in the NFL.  But at the same time I'm guessing a prospect would rather be selected by a team where he's at least met the coaching staff.  

But IIRC, they put Werner through their own private workout before they drafted him. I think at least in the case of 1st round picks you want to have met them at least once. Even with 2nd and 3rd round guys, you want to know what you're getting. You don't just want to watch tape on a guy and then draft him months later with no type of interaction.

I think the 50/50 thing is because boards never fall they way people expect so you end up with someone who you didn't expect to get, or the guy you wanted is taken before you can select him.

It's all about keeping the cards close to the chest.  There's lots of head faking and misinformation given and received between scouts, gms, you name it.  No team really knows who another team really likes.  Heck, no one within a partiuclar organization knows what a team will do except for about 3 or 4 guys (I'm guessing VP of football ops, GM, and HC, maybe the head director of scouting). 

Haven't watched a ton of CB video yet, but from what I have watched so far I'd rather go Keith McGill or Bashaud Breeland over Jean-Baptiste.

Dri Archer? I am intrigued, especially if we could get him in the 5th round. He could be a heck of a returner and I could see doing some interesting things with him on offense to utilize that speed.

In all honesty, I would just take a mulligan on last year's offensive line selections. I would take a long, hard look at Weston Richburg from Colorado State as a center and Joel Bitonio from Nevada and Trai Turner from LSU as a guard.

On the bright side, Hugh Thornton can only get better, there is no way he can get worse.

On the bright side, Hugh Thornton can only get better, there is no way he can get worse.

I don't know why there is this misconception out there that Thornton was bad. He was inconsistent, definitely, but overall I'd say he played pretty well given his circumstances. He was a 3rd round draft pick who wasn't expected to start right away but was thrust into the starting lineup week two. He showed flashes of being a pretty good lineman for us. I'm very content going into the season with Thomas and Thornton as our starting guards. I think that minimizes the importance of going out and getting a big name center as well, which is why I think the Colts are fine with starting Holmes or Costa there.

If you were referring to drafting a guard for depth though, I'm OK with that. Can never have enough OL depth and competition.