Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Prospects that the Colts have shown interest in.

But IIRC, they put Werner through their own private workout before they drafted him. I think at least in the case of 1st round picks you want to have met them at least once. Even with 2nd and 3rd round guys, you want to know what you're getting. You don't just want to watch tape on a guy and then draft him months later with no type of interaction.

I think the 50/50 thing is because boards never fall they way people expect so you end up with someone who you didn't expect to get, or the guy you wanted is taken before you can select him.

Totally agree.

It's all about keeping the cards close to the chest.  There's lots of head faking and misinformation given and received between scouts, gms, you name it.  No team really knows who another team really likes.  Heck, no one within a partiuclar organization knows what a team will do except for about 3 or 4 guys (I'm guessing VP of football ops, GM, and HC, maybe the head director of scouting). 

I know that if I were running an organization, I would want my OC and DC in on who we were targeting in the draft as well. They are the guys who will dictate scheme and will have to utilize the players.

Totally agree.

I know that if I were running an organization, I would want my OC and DC in on who we were targeting in the draft as well. They are the guys who will dictate scheme and will have to utilize the players.

And that makes a lot of sense.  I'm not in the group of those that are "need to know."  So I am obviously only speculating as to the handful of people who are pulling strings.  I just know that there's a handful of guys who do pull the strings and everone else is an informant - whether they are a scout or liar (i.e. a different team's scout).  It could be the OC and DC - that would make a lot of sense as well.  But if there's one thing that has been made obvious to me, it's that, out of the list of guys that we've worked out, a good portion of that is cloak and dagger moves.  And to me, it makes a lot of sense, even if I don't know who they are or are not interested in.

Interesting stat:

The Colts did not draft one person they tried out/worked out in last year's draft. 

?????????????

I'm not sure you're saying what you think you're saying....

We went and worked out Bjorn Werner....  several times.

We went and worked out Hugh Thornton.

We went and worked out Khalid Holmes.

Did I miss something in the translation??

I think that its interesting that of the 4 Private Workouts Colts staff had 3 of the 4 are considered/predicted late round to undrafted players, The only player on that list thats looked at as an early/mid round player of those 4 is Davante Adams, To me thats a clear sign that Grigson knows who he wants in the draft, The players he/staff talked to but did not schedule private workouts at there Pro Days I think Grigson has pretty much made up his mind on  whether he will pass on or wants

?????????????

Yep, I misread it.

I meant to say "met with", they did not formally meet with any of their draft picks from last season. 

Yep, I misread it.

I meant to say "met with", they did not formally meet with any of their draft picks from last season.

What do you mean met with? In the process of working out Werner, Holmes, & Thronton do you think they did not talk with any of them?

I think for a lot of players the game tape and the combine results tell you most of what you need to know about a player.

Plus even if you aren't at a pro-day you can still get the results of that pro-day on the internet.

On top of that the media is really good about following these players closely so you know ahead of time usually if there are any red flags on guys.  Not just arrests but the media gets so deep that you tend to know if players have a strong work ethic or not at practice.  

I think it would be a waste to draft a skill position on offense this year.  Get guys for the O-line and anywhere on defense.  There are only 3 positions on defense that we could not use either an upgrade or someone younger to be taking over in a year.

Dear God...

So if the Colts are not at a pro day workout, they are relying on media reports posted to the web for their info? That is really kind of funny. Let me just tell you that is not how they scout.

So Wayne is coming off his injury and while I love the Nicks signing, he has some of his owns hurdles to over come and even with that it would be a waste to draft a WR? What if after scouting they believe a player may be the next TY Hilton but they pass on him this year because that player would have no value?

I hope we get a DB. Looks as though we are looking more at S first over a CB. I Really want J.Ward but i dont think he makes it to us.Maybe we can get Bucannon or i could see us getting Reynolds in the 3rd with the Stanford connection.

I would rather get a CB in the 3rd Jean-Baptiste or McGill both would fit very nicely. I just feel more confident in Howell at FS than Toler at CB.

?????????????

John Boyett as well. They talked to him at the combine. 

Yep, I misread it.

I'm not sure this is true either.

They spoke with Werner after their 1-on-1 workouts....  Werner talked about it when he was drafted.

And I think their was a list that said we flew Holmes to Indy to meet with him.

Did you have a link for this?     Just askin......

This is an interesting list

?????????????

There was a picture of Pagano at Holmes workout

Also I wouldn't read too much into these particular personal workouts. I'm sure we aren't drafting Marcel Jensen, Dri Archer, and Davante Adams. Grigson seems to still be doing evalutations, so I'm sure there will be more private workouts. But seeing what Pro Days they've attended is a good sign of what prospects they already know and are familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a place to dump this.

I've done a bit of looking at Gil Brandt's stuff about the various Pro Day results  and thought it'd be interesting to note the particular ones in which the Colts either sent a position specific coach (and the players at that position) and which events they sent Pagano to. 

USC - Sent Pagano 

Pagano supposedly spent plenty of time with the linemen, likely Marcus Martin

Pittsburg State - Sent a special teams coach (Boyer? McMahon?)

Likely to see John Brown

Boise State - Sent Pagano and LB coach Jeff FitzGerald

Likely observing DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence

Toldeo -  Sent RB Coach David Walker

Likely observing RB David Fluellen

Washington State - Sent DB Coach (Roy Anderson?)

Likely observing SS Deone Bucannon

University of Nevada - Sent OL Coach Joe Gilbert

Worked out Joel Bitonio

Ohio State -  Sent The Chud

Also I wouldn't read too much into these particular personal workouts. I'm sure we aren't drafting Marcel Jensen, Dri Archer, and Davante Adams. Grigson seems to still be doing evalutations, so I'm sure there will be more private workouts. But seeing what Pro Days they've attended is a good sign of what prospects they already know and are familiar with.

Since this is reportedly an incredibly deep draft,  because of the volume of players, the large numbers, a surprising number of quality players will get drafted much lower than all of us -- me included -- believe.     It's a numbers game.

There will be 2nd round quality guys who go in the 3rd...    3rd round quality guys who go in the 4th...   and some guys may even fall two rounds.     That happens in deep drafts.

My point is don't bet the farm that we won't draft the guys you've referenced.   They may not play positions of need for the Colts, but if they've fallen a couple of rounds below where we have them graded, and suddenly we're sitting there in the 5th or 6th round and one of those guys is there,  we could draft one of them based on Best Player Available.    Stuff like that happens.

I think this is going to be a fascinating draft to watch unfold..........

• 2 weeks later...

If we were at Cyril Richardson pro day then we were at the Baylor pro day. It wasn't just Richardson working out Ahmad Dixson S etc . The same for USC Breslin was working too who could be a grab at OLB later. USC had a fringe CB that really stood out as well.

A private work is a different.

Not a fan of Tre Mason I think the best RB coming out this year is Stuckey. I don't think we are going RB. Unless it is 5th or later. Love to get a home run hitter in the mold of Percy Harvin like Archer or Thomas. We could use in return game put in a few plays at RB a couple at WR just a weapon.

Thorton is going to be solid at RG back home and comfortable. I am concerned about Thomas being completely healthy every time I have heard Grigs speak about it I feel he is beating around the bush. Louis is there and I think we have strong interest in Cyril Richardson and Trai Turner from LSU.  

I would keep 2016 in mind wouldn't let it effect taking best available player a lot can happen between now and then. This is football.