Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I SAY LETS WIN NOW..

Dark Superman

I know a lot of people want us to save a bunch of cap for the future in order to preserve money for our 2012 draft class..

But I say with the salary cap expected to raise roughly $20 million over the next two years.. And the talent we have on our roster now { we have a lot of talent returning from injury} I think we should front load a few contracts and go nuts in free agency.

Between next year and 2015 I think will be our best shot to build a solid Super Bowl contender team and make a run.

I'm not one to sit back and wait for the future.. I want to win now. I don't care if we have to sign a couple big names.. I just want to win.

And if we can resign a few key players while adding through free agency and the draft I truly do believe we could make a Super Bowl run..

Let's do this Grigson and CO.

Rant over.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patience Grasshopper

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Caine: No.
Po: Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?
Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

Um the Colts are in the top 6 teans in the arc and top 10 in the NFL right now. I'd say the only team that is head and shoulders above any other team is Seattle. Seattle can be beat as any other team in any given week. I think the Colts need to build wisely. I don't remember any team buying their way to a championship. Build a solid core which the Colts have done and add a piece here and there and Draft wisely and the super bowl will come. Maybe not this year or next but it will and there will be more then 1 if done correctly.

I know a lot of people want us to save a bunch of cap for the future in order to preserve money for our 2012 draft class..

But I say with the salary cap expected to raise roughly $20 million over the next two years.. And the talent we have on our roster now { we have a lot of talent returning from injury} I think we should front load a few contracts and go nuts in free agency.

Between next year and 2015 I think will be our best shot to build a solid Super Bowl contender team and make a run.

I'm not one to sit back and wait for the future.. I want to win now. I don't care if we have to sign a couple big names.. I just want to win.

And if we can resign a few key players while adding through free agency and the draft I truly do believe we could make a Super Bowl run..

Rant over.

I can't think of one championship team that was built the way you are suggesting. The redskins have been trying they for years to no avail

I don't think we should throw our money around just because we have it and it's burning a hole our pocket. However, I do agree that we're close to being serious Superbowl competitors and that we should be setting our sights on one or two big name signings at key areas of needs this off-season.

Alex Mack, Jarius Byrd and Sam Shields would be perfect.

I agree to a point, but also don't want to go all Dan Snyder on our cap space. IMO we need to invest in 2-3 playmakers at positions of need, along with re-signing Vontae Davis. This team lacks difference makers and it would be worthwhile to bring in a few guys who actually make a difference, rather than a bunch of average players who just plug in holes. Then as long as we draft well then next year we'll be in good shape.

Sign Byrd, Mack and an ILB, then draft well. Call it an offseason

I completely agree with the OP. With the cap going up to 140-150 in the coming years, and with money coming off the books (Wayne, Redding, ETC) we can spend big this year, and still be able to re-sign our own guys. We can also structure contracts in a way where we can cut guys after a year or two, or just front load a few. I actually think Grigs will sign some good players this offseason, but I want to see him go all out for one of Mack or Byrd, then guys like Jones, Shields, Dansby, ETC.

Rant over.

I believe you have to spend a certain % of avaialbale cap (90%?) space regardless

I agree to a point, but also don't want to go all Dan Snyder on our cap space. IMO we need to invest in 2-3 playmakers at positions of need, along with re-signing Vontae Davis. This team lacks difference makers and it would be worthwhile to bring in a few guys who actually make a difference, rather than a bunch of average players who just plug in holes. Then as long as we draft well then next year we'll be in good shape.

Sign Byrd, Mack and an ILB, then draft well. Call it an offseason

I agree with you, but we need depth. Something the coaches needs to figure out where to invest in.

I say other than Luck the rest of the 2012 class is replaceable in a couple years. If we draft correctly it shouldn't be a problem. I think the last guy worried too much about resigning our own guys and that is fine if you are happy with the status quo.

Ty Hilton and Dwayne are players I feel you can't replace. Fleener needs to have a great season coming up.

Rant over.

The best organizations have a plan and stick to those plans.  They are not changing coaches and personnel the way it is often suggested on this board.  

And hey, here is a newsflash - they can plan for the future and still win sooner than later.  The notion that the best chance for the Colts to win is between now and 2015 is simply flawed.   

What you suggest has never proven to be a strategy that works.  Winning March has really never correlated to winning in season.

Ty Hilton and Dwayne are players I feel you can't replace. Fleener needs to have a great season coming up.

TY had 5 good games last season. LMAOff about Dwayne. Good player and of course a real + blocker.

Luck doesn`t see the whole field so it isn`t likely anyone other than Overtargeted Reggie could have a Great Season. JMO

The best organizations have a plan and stick to those plans.  They are not changing coaches and personnel the way it is often suggested on this board.  

And hey, here is a newsflash - they can plan for the future and still win sooner than later.  The notion that the best chance for the Colts to win is between now and 2015 is simply flawed.   

What you suggest has never proven to be a strategy that works.  Winning March has really never correlated to winning in season.

We have lots of $$ to spend on player salaries because we have a bunch of 8-8 or worse type players. Not that we can`t go 6-0 in our loser Division AGAIN.

Seattle may have won the SB because they spent heavily in FA last off season on Quality one year players. Well, and they played $tat$ Manning.

We are Superbly positioned NOW to get at least 3 High Quality Difference making players locked up for the next 4-5 years.  Contracts are essentially 3 years anyway.

And have plenty of $ to lock a couple of difference making Veterans in what would essentially be 2 year contracts.

Plenty of money coming off the books over the next couple years to boot. With NO Guarantee we will be able or Want to Sign All our future FA`s.

You would have to be silly enough to hire Satele not to get it! JMO of course.

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

We have lots of $$ to spend on player salaries because we have a bunch of 8-8 or worse type players. Not that we can`t go 6-0 in our loser Division AGAIN.

Seattle may have won the SB because they spent heavily in FA last off season on Quality one year players. Well, and they played Manning Manning.

We are Superbly positioned NOW to get at least 3 High Quality Difference making players locked up for the next 4-5 years.  Contracts are essentially 3 years anyway.

And have plenty of $ to lock a couple of difference making Veterans in what would essentially be 2 year contracts.

Plenty of money coming off the books over the next couple years to boot. With NO Guarantee we will be able or Want to Sign All our future FA`s.

You would have to be silly enough to hire Satele not to get it! JMO of course.

You are a funny guy. 

There is a difference (vast one at that) between signing one year plug and play guys and signing big names to big contracts, which was the point I was debating. 

And tell me where I said don't sign free agents?  I said blowing up your long term strategic plan in order to make a splash now is a foolish way to run any organization.  The ones that do are losing NFL teams or bankrupt organizations. 

Lastly, why on earth do capitalize random letters?  Thinking the Colts are Superbly positioned for High Quality Difference making players does not make your point any more valid.

You are a funny guy.

There is a difference (vast one at that) between signing one year plug and play guys and signing big names to big contracts, which was the point I was debating.

And tell me where I said don't sign free agents? I said blowing up your long term strategic plan in order to make a splash now is a foolish way to run any organization. The ones that do are losing NFL teams or bankrupt organizations.

Lastly, why on earth do capitalize random letters? Thinking the Colts are Superbly positioned for High Quality Difference making players does not make your point any more valid.

I think your patented "Dear God" response would have worked great here. Kudos for trying to inform the uninformable.

Fleener came as close as one could to replacing Allen this year, so i imagine it should be too difficult. Ty will be more difficult I agree but via the draft I think we could find a very close WR specially if the next couple drafts are as WR heavy as this years draft.

TY had 5 good games last season. LMAOff about Dwayne. Good player and of course a real + blocker.

Luck doesn`t see the whole field so it isn`t likely anyone other than Overtargeted Reggie could have a Great Season. JMO

Pointing a finger at Luck is being pretty narrow minded. With the lack of a decent offensive line who can't run or pass block Luck hasn't had the time to read his progressions. Lucks ability with avoiding the rush is the only reason he didn't lead the NFL is sacks the last two seasons. AS far as TY having good games it is all based on Luck having the time to find him.

Fleener came as close as one could to replacing Allen this year, so i imagine it should be too difficult. Ty will be more difficult I agree but via the draft I think we could find a very close WR specially if the next couple drafts are as WR heavy as this years draft.

No players need to be replaced if the Colts can get some decent offensive linemen in. You don't get better with replacing players without adding players to make them all better. It takes 2 or 3 years for receivers to get to be an impact players in the NFL. TY, Fleener and Allen are all just now coming into the time when they will become better. Why do you think it is a good idea to replace players who are just now becoming good NFL players? Don't make sense to me.

YAY FOR SHOUTING IN A TITLE, GOOD JOB WE HAVE PLENTY OF "CAPS" SPACE.

But really a SBowl run is a crap shoot no matter how much of a all star March you have. Why gamble it all this season hoping the cap goes up, even if it does there will be wage inflation across the league. Give me stability and a chance to roll that SBowl die every year please than run the risk of being dragged into cap hell.

The route to success has and always will be draft well, especially with the new CBA and Rookie scale. FA is for glaring holes, show me contacts and getting you out of jail if you have camp injury. How many "one piece puts over the top" teams have succeeded in finding that piece in FA? I exclude the Broncos as that was an unusual circumstance.

Rant over.

No rant, it just makes sense. Get on it before Luck takes a big bite our of the salary cap. That is what Baltimore, Seattle and San Francisco did in the last two years.

Pointing a finger at Luck is being pretty narrow minded. With the lack of a decent offensive line who can't run or pass block Luck hasn't had the time to read his progressions. Lucks ability with avoiding the rush is the only reason he didn't lead the NFL is sacks the last two seasons. AS far as TY having good games it is all based on Luck having the time to find him.

If Luck took any more time to get rid of the ball, he would get delay of game penalties. Other great QBs don't need that much time to find their receivers.

Sooo, Coby Fleener didn't just have a good season this season? Ah, okay. So tell me, who was that tall 6'6-6'7 TE catching passes from Andrew Luck this season?

Was that another CFL gem by Grigson that we didn't know about?

I would certainly not consider TY or Dwayne irreplaceable. I would find them easily replaceable.

Name 2 TE's & 2 WR's that could replace those 2 in this draft &/or this FA class

Who can do what those 2 have done for this organization so far in their careers?