Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Luck was just a tad more conservative, he might have got this team to the SB

1yrdandacloudofdust

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't lose to New England because Luck wasn't conservative enough...

We lost to NE because our defense gave up more than 250 yards rushing. That's not an Andrew Luck issue.

If you think Denver lost badly in the Super Bowl, you had better Thank God that the Colts weren't in the game, because Indy would've lost much worse!!

It would not have been pretty.

We're a good team. And in the regular season, we can beat almost anyone as we proved this year.

But the playoffs are a completely different story. And we've got a lot to do to get better.

Since you're a new member, welcome to the family! Hope you enjoy the website!

We didn't lose to New England because Luck wasn't conservative enough...

We lost to NE because our defense gave up more than 250 yards rushing. That's not an Andrew Luck issue.

If you think Denver lost badly in the Super Bowl, you had better Thank God that the Colts weren't in the game, because Indy would've lost much worse!!

It would not have been pretty.

We're a good team. And in the regular season, we can beat almost anyone as we proved this year.

But the playoffs are a completely different story. And we've got a lot to do to get better.

Since you're a new member, welcome to the family! Hope you enjoy the website!

Disagree not saying we would have won but Denver offense couldn't do % cause Peyton can't scramble, luck would have converted a lot of those third downs scrambling. Not to mention we also had beaten the Seahawks already

He can't throw the pick on the opening drive, no doubt.  He knows that.  The second wasn't his fault.  The others were understandable given the situation.

That said, it was an uphill battle regardless of what he did.  This team is lacking in talent and experience across the board.  A young and inexperienced QB and team vs. Belichick in Foxboro is not a good combination.  Had Wilson and the Seahawks been forced to travel to New England for a playoff game, I wouldn't have liked their chances either. 

I'm still baffled that he threw 7 (!) int in the post-season, while only throwing 9 during the regular season. That can't happen again.

That's a bit misleading IMO.  He didn't throw a pick against the Chiefs until they were down 31-10, and won the game, so I would subtract that from the analysis. 

Starting the Patriot game with a pick deep in Colt territory is a different story.  That set the tone. 

The way the Hawks came to play at the SB..

I rather sit that one out..

In a silly thread to begin with, this tops the list.

So you would have rather lost where they did than gone onto the Super Bowl to face Seattle because they would have blown Indy out?

That's a bit misleading IMO. He didn't throw a pick against the Chiefs until they were down 31-10, and won the game, so I would subtract that from the analysis.

Starting the Patriot game with a pick deep in Colt territory is a different story. That set the tone.

Agree. Those stats are very misleading, but a couple of those picks were unforgivable. When you're down by quite a few points, you have to take chances you wouldn't normally take.

Do people really pin a last second hail mary interception on the QB?

I'm not sure that conservative is the right word.

Luck threw an INT to start off the Patriots game. It was a slant pass, a very conservative route and usually a routine throw. The DB got a great jump on the ball. He threw an INT to start off the second half of the Chiefs game, a check down to Donald Brown that was picked off. He also had INTs that bounced off of our receivers hands/shoulders and landed right into the hands of the defender--again, conservative routes and conservative throws.

He did have a few bad reads and poor throws that contributed to the total number of INTs in the playoffs.

Overall, the teams that we played outplayed us as a whole.

That's a bit misleading IMO.  He didn't throw a pick against the Chiefs until they were down 31-10, and won the game, so I would subtract that from the analysis. 

Starting the Patriot game with a pick deep in Colt territory is a different story.  That set the tone. 

Sort of like that first Broncos snap in the Super Bowl.

peyton-manning2.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

It's hard to get from under those mistakes.

You play to win!  The only time you play conservative is when you're up by two touchdowns, you have the ball 1st and 10 with one second on the game clock!  OK OK, you can play conservatively when the game is yours and not while you're on the way to victory!  The game must be yours before you could even think of playing conservatively!

Disagree not saying we would have won but Denver offense couldn't do % cause Peyton can't scramble, luck would have converted a lot of those third downs scrambling. Not to mention we also had beaten the Seahawks already

Plus, the Seahawks were just sitting on the short routes. They knew Peyton wouldn't challenge them deep. We know Luck has no problem gun slinging it all game. Heck, that's the reason we beat them here when we played. Peyton is good at getting rid of the football, but with Seattle, you have to have the ability to extend the play because their rush will force you out of the pocket and their coverage on the backend is air tight for the first few seconds.

Peyton gets happy feet the longer he holds the ball. He doesn't like having to extend a play. His entire game is built around putting the football on a spot before the receiver is even there. Couldn't do that against Seattle because like I said, he didn't have the time and the receivers couldn't get there. I think we actually would've gave them a game, had we been in the Super Bowl. Our defense would be what blows it though

Yep.

There's no worse feeling then losing the big game

For the life of me, I will never understand that line of thinking. It is for the scared and those who just want to be safe. It means that a team that made it all the way to the big game and lost somehow had a bad season. What you are saying that you would have not wanted them to win the AFCCG and not have the excitement of those two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. I have been to both Super Bowls the Indy Colts were in and the entire experience is more than just the game. The Saints experience, other than the game, was just as much fun as the Bears.

Yep.

Agree with you, I find it much easier to brush off any playoff loss within a day or two but that SB loss to the Saints LINGERED for the entire offseason for me.......ugh.

If we ever make it back to the big one (and I hope it's soon). I hope we feel as if we have an excellent chance of winning and are relatively healthy going into the game.

I don't know if people know by now but winning at Foxboro is not really an easy task.

Don't forget we used to do it so many times before in the past........with Manning and Dungy and the old guys. We flat out owned the Pats in New England.

So I understand the frustrations lately to see a Colts team suddenly start losing in Foxboro.

Yes, this was sarcasm......for those who don't always sense that on the internet.

For the life of me, I will never understand that line of thinking. It is for the scared and those who just want to be safe. It means that a team that made it all the way to the big game and lost somehow had a bad season. What you are saying that you would have not wanted them to win the AFCCG and not have the excitement of those two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. I have been to both Super Bowls the Indy Colts were in and the entire experience is more than just the game. The Saints experience, other than the game, was just as much fun as the Bears.

Nope..

Agree with you, I find it much easier to brush off any playoff loss within a day or two but that SB loss to the Saints LINGERED for the entire offseason for me.......ugh.

If we ever make it back to the big one (and I hope it's soon). I hope we feel as if we have an excellent chance of winning and are relatively healthy going into the game.

Agreed!

Yep.

I have a lot of friends who are Browns fans. You don't have enough time for them to tell you all the worse things than losing the big game.

Losing the big game is my second favorite way for a season to end.

I have a lot of friends who are Browns fans. You don't have enough time for them to tell you all the worse things than losing the big game.

Losing the big game is my second favorite way for a season to end.

friends that are browns fans? Time to get new friends

The loss to the Steelers in 05 was/is worse for me. No clue why.