Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft.. Bad news ... good news

dw49

I've read in a few places that this is the deepest draft in many years. Very deep at WR , OL , and CB and pretty much at least fair to good at all the rest. One reason this is true is with the new CBA resulting in no more mega contracts for the top of round one , players are deciding that it's not worth the injury risk to stay in school. The record of 98 declared underclassmen is up from 73 in 2013, 65 in 2012, 56 in 2011 and 53 in 2010. Last year half of round one were underclassmen. 

So my point is on one hand , this isn't a good draft to be without a 1st or a 4th . On the other hand , the Colts should be able to select good prospects in rounds 2 and 3. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the draft being so deep hopefully there are a lot of good options at #59 and Colts can trade back to somewhere in the top 10 of the 3rd and also get that teams 4th rounder as well.  If that doesn't happen I could see them getting back into the 4th in exchange of a 3rd rounder for 2015.  I hope they don't go back into the first this year.  Leveraging picks has to stop soon I would hope.

I've read from many sources that this is the deepest, best draft in a very long time.

Not having a 1 or 4 hurts big time.. Really have to nail picks 2 and 3, and hope that all of our injured guys come back strong

This draft will be brutal, just hope Grigs gets back to 2012 form, & hits on all draft picks this year...

This is why I'm not a fan of trading future draft picks, but Grigson has no problem doing so. Well, he's the one working for the Colts and I'm the guy who watches the games from home haha. In Grigs we trust

@CraigKColts: Grigson says Draft has depth and no first round pick is no problem.

This draft will be brutal, just hope Grigs gets back to 2012 form, & hits on all draft picks this year...

@CraigKColts: Grigson says Draft has depth and no first round pick is no problem.

Ha, good!!!

I used the word brutal, as a fan...

Watching the first round of the draft will have little "vested" interest for Colts fans...

But if Grigs can manage to score a solid starter or two in this draft (with the limited picks), it will be a win for the team!!!

I've read in a few places that this is the deepest draft in many years. Very deep at WR , OL , and CB and pretty much at least fair to good at all the rest. One reason this is true is with the new CBA resulting in no more mega contracts for the top of round one , players are deciding that it's not worth the injury risk to stay in school. The record of 98 declared underclassmen is up from 73 in 2013, 65 in 2012, 56 in 2011 and 53 in 2010. Last year half of round one were underclassmen. 

So my point is on one hand , this isn't a good draft to be without a 1st or a 4th . On the other hand , the Colts should be able to select good prospects in rounds 2 and 3. 

Maybe Grigson can trade Werner for a fourth rounder? Nah, nobody would give that much for him or Richardson.

Whats he supposed to say "I would have really liked to have that first round pick in a draft with as much talent as this one has, but I messed up big time and wasted our 1st round pick on a RB; and he turned out to be a scrub RB to boot" ....  he knows that is what most people are thinking (and he probably is as well), but no GM will ever admit such a thing.

Dynamite post.

Well said. The instant gratification fans expect have reached a ridiculous level. A rookie DE/OLB is going to take some time develop. Frankly, it is surprising that the team did as well as it did this year considering all of the new faces. It takes time for teams to mesh. Trent had no training camp with the Colts, The O-line was patchwork at best. The receiving corps were a mess after Reggie went down. Injuries on the defensive line, secondary, and LB corps.......amazed we made the playoffs. 

Next year should be a strong year, but year after next is the year it should all come together IMO. The Colts should be strong this year.

Yeah not having a 1st round pick is not a good thing...especially when your already drafting low in each round and you trade that 1st rounder.........Ah forget it

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I still think T-Rich can become a great RB, even if his first season with us was less than impressive.

He would never have been picked @ 3rd overall if he didn't have the tools and the talent to become a top level RB.

Let's just hope that he starts living up to the potential that's clearly there

I still think T-Rich can become a great RB, even if his first season with us was less than impressive.

He would never have been picked @ 3rd overall if he didn't have the tools and the talent to become a top level RB.

It's not hindsight for many of us

He was drafted #3 overall by a horrible scouting department in Cleveland and an outstanding O-Line in Bama.  See Ingram in New Orleans.

It's not hindsight for many of us

Agreed.  While I have no agenda against Trent or Grigson, this was a mistake from the beginning.  But I'm ok with it as I think Grigson has a very good college scouting ability and isn't a big spender.  Sometimes you take risks.  Sometimes it doesn't work oh well.

He was drafted #3 overall by a horrible scouting department in Cleveland and an outstanding O-Line in Bama.  See Ingram in New Orleans.

Grigson said if RG3 and Luck weren't in the draft that he would have taken TRich #1 overall. I guess the Colt's have a horrible scouting department as well?

And NFL GMs aren't dumb enough not to seperate the player ability from that of thier supporting cast. TRich wasn't drafted #3 overall because of his oline. He was drafted #3 overall because he was extremely talented. 

GMs and scouts's aren't amateurs.

Grigson said if RG3 and Luck weren't in the draft that he would have taken TRich #! overall. I guess the Colt's have a horrible scouting department as well?

Grigson will defend his trade regardless.  That is biased information.  Lombardi isn't known for his scouting abilities... lets leave it at that.

Grigson will defend his trade regardless.  That is biased information.  Lombardi isn't known for his scouting abilities... lets leave it at that.

He said it before the 2012 draft. Not after the trade.

And yes Lombardi is known for his scouting abilities. It's literally his only redeeming quality. And he wasn't even in Cleveland during the 2012 draft.

I don't think i've ever seen a post that was wrong on so many levels.

He said it before the 2012 draft. Not after the trade.

And yes Lombardi is known for his scouting abilities. It's literally his only redeeming quality. And he wasn't even in Cleveland during the 2012 draft.

I don't think i've ever seen a post that was wrong on so many levels.

I was under the understanding that Lombardi's only appealing feature was cap management.  ???  I will look it up.  

Either way Richardson has ability yes.  I never said he didn't.  His issue is without an oline giving him a gaping hole to maneuver in he fades rather quickly.  As I also mentioned look at Ingram... Same school, same O-Line environment, same results. Talented? Yes.  Vision? not so much... stats inflated by the ability to use talent at the second level.    

Wong on so many levels?  So GM's don't defend their trades good or bad?  Be it as it may the trade was a bad one.  a first rounder is usually an immediate impact player.  Richardson was not and didn't come close to being even 2nd round value.  his underwhelming ypc tells you that.  As I said in my original post.  You take chances and sometimes it pays off, in this case it didn't.  If Grigson said that well so be it.  I believe he is a better GM than that though or maybe has learned while being on the job because his drafting eye seems very satisfactory.  

Montori has a lot of physical tools. We are Desperate for Quality D-Line play.  Go Montori and make us crazy glad we spent that extra pick.

Trent, lose some weight dog. You are killing us everyday with what you DID!

Grigson is obviously not only going to protect his butt with his comments but also protect Trent. He is on our team for the next 3 years regardless and we all know he is kinda fragile mentally. One good thing that can come from it all is that it's in Grigson's best interest to do 1 thing....protect his two biggest investments. 1 protect AL and 2 make Trent look good....to do that he will definately continue to focus on the OL. I would expect to see him invest in a Center in free agency definately and probably draft a tackle and guard as well to sure up the line and look towards the future. I also look for him to resign Davis and depending on what that looks like bring in a safety or corner as well in FA. Who knows what we do...its still wide open....to many moving pieces and teams that are resigning and waiving guys. Tough to tell what the market will be but I don't see a guy like Mack or Byrd coming here...I don't think we spend on that level. We have a lot of needs. 3 RBs, a veteren WR, ILB we have no kickers under contract....a lot of work ahead.

Grigson said if RG3 and Luck weren't in the draft that he would have taken TRich #1 overall. I guess the Colt's have a horrible scouting department as well?

And NFL GMs aren't dumb enough not to seperate the player ability from that of thier supporting cast. TRich wasn't drafted #3 overall because of his oline. He was drafted #3 overall because he was extremely talented. 

GMs and scouts's aren't amateurs.

I have never heard that quote and don't know the context in which it was given; but if he was being 100% serious in his answer, and that answer was not given in an odd context, or in response to a badly worded question from the media than I just lost a little respect for Grigson.

His potential may be found in a ZBS. Which is exactly what alabama ran and he did so well in. Until he fibds a team that does that, he may not be much of anything.

Maybe Grigson can trade Werner for a fourth rounder? Nah, nobody would give that much for him or Richardson.

This is true because no one try's to trade off 4th round rookies and if the Colts did, it would be a instant red flag on the rookie in question.

As 6th rounders and undrafted FA prove themselves in year one and two, we HOPE our guy finally does it in year 4 because,

he is a Colt and Grigson was a GM of the year drafting 1st or 2nd every round. Yaaa Colts! What Colts gear did you get 4 xMas?