Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign LB Henoc Muamba

MTC

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not entirely uncommon for an undersized LB to convert to Safety in the pros.  The problem is he would likely be in the same mold as Landry and if the Colts are going to be looking for a new safety it will likely be one that is more of a coverage safety.

Does he even have the speed to play safety?  Hopefully he can be a coverage ILB.

That could very well be that he didn't enter the draft.  I didn't do any checking on it.  I just have to think though that if any team had any interest at all, they would have made contact with him at the very least after the draft as a possible UDFA signing.  Then again, maybe if a player doesn't make himself eligible for the draft, then he can't be signed as an UDFA?  I really don't know about that.  

Teams are wary with guys that don't go the traditional NCAA to NFL route, and rightly so.  Henoc, for instance, has not played against tougher competition.  So as a big fish in a small pond, you don't really know what you're getting because you're looking at film that most NFL starters would easily be able to accomplish.  So you wait for them to build at least a little bit of a track record.  With Henoc, think of it as like a player that went from Juco to NCAA to the NFL, except that instead of it being 3 years from Juco to NFL, it's 6. 

The NFL is a bit confusing with its rules on how you get into the league.  Basically, you have to go through the draft if you played in the college.  You can't just play, circumvent the draft and pick a team you want to sign with.  I guess theoretically you could, but I don't see why any player would ever do that.  It puts off the money making and lowers the amount of money they could have other wise made if they did enter the draft.   At any rate, they do make exception for guys in other leagues, people who didn't play in college, but they have some other requirements before you can sign an NFL contract (i.e. can't be contracted with both the CFL and NFL), but these are the type of guys that teams take chances on, so no franchise is going to cry collusion or anything over that. 

However, I've always wondered what the reaction would be in a scenario such as this:  A player, who plays an impact position, is decorated as one of the best all time players in the SEC and is a unanimous 1st overall, 1st round pick.  However, said player wants to play for only one team, say, the Colts.  So he does not declare eligibility for the NFL draft and goes to play for the Arena League instead.  After one season, the player signs with the Colts.  And lets say, years down the road, he goes on to the HOF.  I wonder what everyone's reaction to something like that would be.

Teams are wary with guys that don't go the traditional NCAA to NFL route, and rightly so.  Henoc, for instance, has not played against tougher competition.  So as a big fish in a small pond, you don't really know what you're getting because you're looking at film that most NFL starters would easily be able to accomplish.  So you wait for them to build at least a little bit of a track record.  With Henoc, think of it as like a player that went from Juco to NCAA to the NFL, except that instead of it being 3 years from Juco to NFL, it's 6. 

The NFL is a bit confusing with its rules on how you get into the league.  Basically, you have to go through the draft if you played in the college.  You can't just play, circumvent the draft and pick a team you want to sign with.  I guess theoretically you could, but I don't see why any player would ever do that.  It puts off the money making and lowers the amount of money they could have other wise made if they did enter the draft.   At any rate, they do make exception for guys in other leagues, people who didn't play in college, but they have some other requirements before you can sign an NFL contract (i.e. can't be contracted with both the CFL and NFL), but these are the type of guys that teams take chances on, so no franchise is going to cry collusion or anything over that. 

However, I've always wondered what the reaction would be in a scenario such as this:  A player, who plays an impact position, is decorated as one of the best all time players in the SEC and is a unanimous 1st overall, 1st round pick.  However, said player wants to play for only one team, say, the Colts.  So he does not declare eligibility for the NFL draft and goes to play for the Arena League instead.  After one season, the player signs with the Colts.  And lets say, years down the road, he goes on to the HOF.  I wonder what everyone's reaction to something like that would be.

Have you ever heard of Kurt Warner?

I know its the CFL and everything but why would a guy leave a team where he is the star on and starts every game to go to the NFL just to play on special teams this guy is going to be great just you watch I can bet every one said the same thing about freeman when we signed him

I would say for starters I am sure like most athletes he thinks he would be more than a Special Teams guy but you see this kind of thing all the time were a star player in the CFL takes a chance at the NFL.  The reason why?  It's the NFL and it's where most of those players dreamed of playing their whole lives and they have their chance.  They are going to take it because there is no promise they will get another one.  Worst case scenario he gets released and can go back to the CFL.  It's not like they wouldn't take him back. 

I would say for starters I am sure like most athletes he thinks he would be more than a Special Teams guy but you see this kind of thing all the time were a star player in the CFL takes a chance at the NFL.  The reason why?  It's the NFL and it's where most of those players dreamed of playing their whole lives and they have their chance.  They are going to take it because there is no promise they will get another one.  Worst case scenario he gets released and can go back to the CFL.  It's not like they wouldn't take him back. 

He would be welcomed back, and depending on how old he would be, could make an easy 6 figure deal. Having a non-import starter who can play extremely well in the CFL is in-valuable to teams in that league due to a required Canadian - Import ratio teams must meet.

I know its the CFL and everything but why would a guy leave a team where he is the star on and starts every game to go to the NFL just to play on special teams this guy is going to be great just you watch I can bet every one said the same thing about freeman when we signed him

Money! Big time jump in pay and benefits if he sticks.

I am from & live in the Peg and I can tell you that Bomber fans are unhappy about losing him.

About his being 1st overall pick, take that with a bit of a grain of salt, though. Being Canadian there is a premium on certain position prospects due to having a "Canadian" filling a position that might normally go to an "import" (there's a nationality quota in the CFL).

That being said, he 's been a stand up guy (we Canadians are all so nice - Toronto's mayor excepted) and he's been one of the truly bright spots on a dismal team. He has not been, however, as dominating as Freeman was.

I would call him a bit of a long shot to make the starting roster, but hey, no stone unturned by Grigson. Cool that the best Blue Bomber opted for my beloved Colts.

Have you ever heard of Kurt Warner?

Yeah, but Warner went undrafted in the 94 draft and then played arena football for like 3 or 4 seasons.  Everyone had a chance at picking him  What I was talking about was making yourself undraftable to every team but one.  Take John Elway for instance.  He didn't want to play for any team other than the Bills, who knew this and agreed to sign him him one year afte the played in the CFL.  Almost like collusion, but technically legal as far as I'm concerned.

Hey all, I don't post much but I live in Winnipeg and have seen him play many times. He was the only player worth a crap on our defense will be a beast on the Colts. The signing will be very similar to Freeman. In the CFL, I would argue that Muamba > Freeman BUT i'm not sure if that will translate to the NFL. I am taking all things into account... not just the highligh plays we watch on ESPN. You could tell that opposing teams would always have a gameplan that started with containing Muamba.

Yeah, but Warner went undrafted in the 94 draft and then played arena football for like 3 or 4 seasons.  Everyone had a chance at picking him  What I was talking about was making yourself undraftable to every team but one.  Take John Elway for instance.  He didn't want to play for any team other than the Bills, who knew this and agreed to sign him him one year afte the played in the CFL.  Almost like collusion, but technically legal as far as I'm concerned.

John Elway was drafted by the Colts and then traded to Denver when he refused to play for the Colts.

Hey all, I don't post much but I live in Winnipeg and have seen him play many times. He was the only player worth a crap on our defense will be a beast on the Colts. The signing will be very similar to Freeman. In the CFL, I would argue that Muamba > Freeman BUT i'm not sure if that will translate to the NFL. I am taking all things into account... not just the highligh plays we watch on ESPN. You could tell that opposing teams would always have a gameplan that started with containing Muamba.

Hey fellow Pegger. I thought I was the only one here from Winnipeg.

I think you might be mistaken because Elway used the threat of playing baseball for the Yankees to force a trade to the Broncos

I kind of feel like the fact that we were in a bidding war with the Patriots for him is a bad sign. The Patriots have a young and promising LB core with Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower. If anything, it means they wanted a depth guy. But I'm okay with giving him a chance especially if it means we don't have to spend our 2nd round pick on a LB now. I'd love Skov, Smallwood,etc.. in the third though. Maybe we can get that corner we need now.

But I hope this fairs a lot better than some of Grigson's other attempt to find players "in the trenches".

Muamba seems like a pretty active player who tackles really well from what I've seen.  A sideline to sideline hunt you down type of guy. My initial question in his conversion to the NFL is will he be quick enough to diagnose plays in the running game and avoid/shed blockers enough to make plays.  His athleticism tells me yes, but one of the things I noticed with CFL ball is how far the D line lines up away from the O line.  It's like a huge gap in between the two, which I'm sure gives you more time to diagnose the play and react.  In the NFL the O Line and the D line are quite a bit closer so to me when a running play is called you have less time before a lineman is up on you.  It seems that you have to be much quicker with your read and reaction in the NFL versus the CFL.  I wonder how much of an adjustment it will be for him.  Freeman had to adjust a little bit and he turned out alright, so hopefully it will be that way form Muamba.

I kind of feel like the fact that we were in a bidding war with the Patriots for him is a bad sign. The Patriots have a young and promising LB core with Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower. If anything, it means they wanted a depth guy. But I'm okay with giving him a chance especially if it means we don't have to spend our 2nd round pick on a LB now. I'd love Skov, Smallwood,etc.. in the third though. Maybe we can get that corner we need now.

But I hope this fairs a lot better than some of Grigson's other attempt to find players "in the trenches".

If he does turn out to be a depth player even for us I think it's still a good pick up.  I do think we'll be adding another guy in the draft or free agency.  If our plans are to bring in a FA to be the starter I think our talent level for the depth players would be much improved with maybe Muamba and Mcnary subbing in behind whoever the starter would be.  Although in my own eyes I feel Mcnary has enough skills to play along side Freeman.

John Elway was drafted by the Colts and then traded to Denver when he refused to play for the Colts.

I think you might be mistaken because Elway used the threat of playing baseball for the Yankees to force a trade to the Broncos

I think OffensivelyPC was proposing a hypothetical scenario using Elway, and was not talking about what Elway really did ... IMO.  He probably should have just said "QB X" instead of using Elway.  Or that's what I got from it.

If he does turn out to be a depth player even for us I think it's still a good pick up.  I do think we'll be adding another guy in the draft or free agency.  If our plans are to bring in a FA to be the starter I think our talent level for the depth players would be much improved with maybe Muamba and Mcnary subbing in behind whoever the starter would be.  Although in my own eyes I feel Mcnary has enough skills to play along side Freeman.

As long as he turns out to at least be a capable starter. We'll draft a LB eventually, but I hope the core with Freeman, him, and Mcneary will be good enough until we are in a position to fully invest in a LB.

I think OffensivelyPC was proposing a hypothetical scenario using Elway, and was not talking about what Elway really did ... IMO.  He probably should have just said "QB X" instead of using Elway.  Or that's what I got from it.

esmort is correct.  It might have been clearer to say QB X, but I was just drawing from an example where a player manipulated the draft, and then changed a few facts so that he manipulated the draft without having actually entered into it.

Henoc Muamba - LB - Colts

Former CFL ILB Henoc Muamba's contract with the Colts is for three years and includes $107,000 guaranteed.

It's a solid sum for a player GM Ryan Grigson is essentially signing off the street. (That's how ex-CFL players are viewed in contract terms by NFL teams.) Muamba was a high-impact middle linebacker for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and is only 25 years old. Always casting a wide net for talent, Grigson unearthed Jerrell Freeman from similar obscurity and he's become a high-end NFL starter.

I think they are making a bit too much out of the guaranteed money portion of his deal.  He will only get paid that if he is on the active roster when the season starts. I haven't seen a whole lot of Muamba so only time will tell, but most of what I've seen looks pretty good. 

If it all works out the way it should I wouldn't be mad if we had the following 4 linebackers as our ILB group.

Jerrell Freeman, Shayne Skov, Henoc Muamba, Josh Mcnary

There are some unknowns in there but I think it has a good likelihood of being a strong group if it all panned out right.

Sheppard, Conner, Angerer, and the other fellow who was getting burnt all over the place in the San Diego game can all kick rocks. It is now time to show them the door bro!

Henoc Muamba - LB - Colts

Former CFL ILB Henoc Muamba's contract with the Colts is for three years and includes $107,000 guaranteed.

It's a solid sum for a player GM Ryan Grigson is essentially signing off the street. (That's how ex-CFL players are viewed in contract terms by NFL teams.) Muamba was a high-impact middle linebacker for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and is only 25 years old. Always casting a wide net for talent, Grigson unearthed Jerrell Freeman from similar obscurity and he's become a high-end NFL starter.

LOL "solid sum" for a guaranteed $107,000 salary.

Amount sounds too low to even be legal within NFL minimum salary rules.

LOL "solid sum" for a guaranteed $107,000 salary.

Amount sounds too low to even be legal within NFL minimum salary rules.

The NFL minimum for first year players is $420,000. That number is also his first year's salary. His salary for the remaining 2 years of his contract is 510K then 600k. The $107,000 number that people have talked about is not his 1st year salary as you have implied. What it means in 107K of his first year's contract is guaranteed. So if he doesn't make the team , he guaranteed 107K. That number is a "solid sum" for what a "street free agent " gets when signing an NFL contract. Maybe not a lot of money for some people but probably a pretty good sum of money for guys from the Canadian football league where salaries probably average 50-60K,