Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign LB Henoc Muamba

MTC

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited about this guy. He seems to have a high motor and energy and his teammates seem to love him. I will be rooting for him during the offseason to make our roster. 

I don't think pick-up changes our draft strategy AT ALL. I think Grigson is planning to go BPA every year with his top pick, then pick needs after that. I love that draft strategy myself and would always pick BPA if there is a stud landing in your lap. Don't reach on a need rather than taking a true play maker. I'm hoping that a stud corner/safety drops to us personally. I would rather pick up O-line in FA. 

Oh yeah, for a nickname for Freeman/Muamba( if he gets the job), I like the Terrance and Phillip idea.

In a related story, Ryan Grigson just went to Austria to find a BEAR of a Defensive lineman:  Heimlich Maneuver.  He has been the 'Choke-hold' of the Austria Boogie Bears for the last 2 seasons  6'4" 336  Accomplishments:

• 15 sacks (of McDonald's in one sitting)
  • Forced 25 Turnovers (mostly apple):  He calls them Strudels.
  • He deflected 3 passes (From Boogie Bear cheerleaders)

Heimlich's catch phrase:  "Ya gotta choke the life out of em."  Go Boogie Bears

2011-10-06_22.39.06-1024x564.png

So what are the expectations for this guy? Are we assuming he is our guy, or do you guys think we still sign or draft someone?

I don't think you can count your chickens before they have hatched.  At this point he's just a guy with potential that we are giving a tryout to.  

He could turn into the next Freeman or he could just be a camp body.  Training camp will tell. 

Guys we are expecting way too much from the kid..

Yes and no. As someone who has watched him play the last 3 years I think my opinion has some validity... He will make the team i'm 99% sure, for no other reason then special teams. He climbed his way into the starting lineup through ST in the CFL and will look to do the same im sure. He should make an immediate impact on ST but im not holding my breath for him being named the starter..Not yet at least.

All that being said, here's some inside knowledge on the kid. Hes done everything thats been asked of him. ST? one of the best in the CFL the last 2 years. He played ILB in a blitz heavy scheme (think dick lebeau's zone blitz scheme for a reference) and played very well had around 5 sacks, made plays behind the line all year that season with tackles and hurries etc.. Then this year was an all star, near the league leader in tackles and lead the league in FF when he was asked to play the more traditional role of a ILB in the NFL sense(roaming, coverage etc) and when the rest of his team fell apart and some even gave up (2 win season) Henoc consistently played lights out all year. Despite lack of talent on his team, as well as awful coaching. So on top of all that we know hes got heart and overall football instincts. Great pickup IMO.

He looks athletic and fast, good at shedding blocks and stopping the run. I think he's better at stopping the run then coverage but his coverage skills aren't bad. He's better then any ILB we have on the roster except Freeman. He has a lot of potential could turn out to be a starter if he does well in training camp. I still think will draft an ILB but CB, S, and pass rush are at the top of the list.

Yes and no. As someone who has watched him play the last 3 years I think my opinion has some validity... He will make the team i'm 99% sure, for no other reason then special teams. He climbed his way into the starting lineup through ST in the CFL and will look to do the same im sure. He should make an immediate impact on ST but im not holding my breath for him being named the starter..Not yet at least.

All that being said, here's some inside knowledge on the kid. Hes done everything thats been asked of him. ST? one of the best in the CFL the last 2 years. He played ILB in a blitz heavy scheme (think dick lebeau's zone blitz scheme for a reference) and played very well had around 5 sacks, made plays behind the line all year that season with tackles and hurries etc.. Then this year was an all star, near the league leader in tackles and lead the league in FF when he was asked to play the more traditional role of a ILB in the NFL sense(roaming, coverage etc) and when the rest of his team fell apart and some even gave up (2 win season) Henoc consistently played lights out all year. Despite lack of talent on his team, as well as awful coaching. So on top of all that we know hes got heart and overall football instincts. Great pickup IMO.

Good to hear from someone who actually watched him play.  From what I read, his speed is pedestrian, but that doesn't mean he plays slow in pads.  There are plenty of guys who run a fast 40.  Unless you're a WR, that's almost non relevant.

I'd be more concerned about his size and durability.

blog.colts.com

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS SIGN LB-HENOC MUAMBA

Posted by coltsindianapolis on February 6, 2014 – 8:20 pm

The Indianapolis Colts today signed undrafted free agent linebacker Henoc Muamba.

Muamba, 6-0, 238 pounds, spent the past three seasons (2011-13) with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League (CFL) after being selected with the first overall pick in the 2011 CFL Draft. For his career, the 24-year-old recorded 171 tackles, 53 special teams stops, 4.0 sacks, one interception and one fumble recovery returned for a touchdown. In 2013, Muamba was named a CFL All-Star and earned the Lew Hayman Trophy, given to the best Canadian player in the East Division. For the year, he played in all 18 games and totaled 106 tackles, 18 special teams stops, 1.0 sack and one interception. His 106 tackles ranked second overall in the CFL. Muamba was named the recipient of the 2013 Ed Kotowich ‘Good Guy’ Award, which recognizes a Blue Bomber player for their excellence in combining football ability, team camaraderie and extraordinary effort in the community.

In 2012, Muamba ranked second on the team with 65 tackles (20 solo), while recording a team-high 20 special teams stops and a career-high 3.0 sacks. He also led the league with five forced fumbles and was named the CFL’s Canadian Player of the Week twice.

Muamba played four years (2007-2010) at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. He is the school’s all-time career leader in tackles (149.5) and ranks fourth overall on the Atlantic University Sport (AUS) conference’s all-time career list. Muamba was named the AUS Defensive Player of the Year in both 2008 and 2010 and was honored with the President’s Trophy in 2010 for the top defensive player in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS). He was a three-time CIS All-Canadian and AUS defensive all-star, and participated in the 2010 East-West Bowl, which features the top CFL prospects each year.

Ryan Grigson continues to leave no stone unturned in his quest to build the Monster I like this signing .

I disagree you see teams take chances on guys like this all the time at this point in the off-season.  Kenton Keith, John Chick, Justin Hickman, Freeman (who I said is the exception to the rule and wouldn't have a problem if this guy turns out like again), Jeremy Kelley, Ceaser Rayford.  All of those guys have been CFL guys the Colts have brought in over the years.  Other than Freeman none of them really turned into major stars.  Maybe he can make the final roster but I don't have huge expectations for him right now.  If he works out I think he'll be more like a Hickman type of guy who might give you some help on special teams but that's really about it. 

I know its the CFL and everything but why would a guy leave a team where he is the star on and starts every game to go to the NFL just to play on special teams this guy is going to be great just you watch I can bet every one said the same thing about freeman when we signed him

It's everyone's dream to play in the nfl.

And if he succeeds the money help will be making in the NFL

I know its the CFL and everything but why would a guy leave a team where he is the star on and starts every game to go to the NFL just to play on special teams this guy is going to be great just you watch I can bet every one said the same thing about freeman when we signed him

It's every football,players dream to play in the NFL.

If he succeeds he will find himself making a ton more money too.

And that probably is one of the main reasons he picked the Colts over the other teams interested.  All Grigson has to do is point to Freeman to show how willing the team is to play a guy with CFL experience.  Not that the other teams wouldn't play a guy with that kind of talent but actions always speak louder than words.  

I would like to see him gain 10 lbs. of muscle and then he might be the thumper we need in the middle. I hope he's as good as advertised but I'm always a little iffy on Canadian players and from the lesser leagues in general. Some of them work out, many of them prove why they weren't in the NFL to begin with.

Possible transition to Safety?

Wasn't C.O. Prime a undrafted free agent that nobody wanted. I think Muamba has more potential. I still think we should look for a ILB but it should be a veteran and not another young guy when we already have two young guys.

C.O. Prime was an undrafted free agent that nobody wanted....to draft.  However, Muamba wasn't even wanted as an UDFA so he had to go to Canada.  That's the point.  If any NFL team felt that he would be a good NFL player, then he would have either been drafted or signed after the draft as an UDFA but Muamba was neither.  Nobody wanted to draft him and nobody wanted to sign him as an UDFA so he went to Canada.  

Now, it's certainly possible that he's refined his skills and improved as a player during his time in Canada and I think we're all hoping that's the case.  However, it's far, FAR from a guarantee so, as others have said, I don't see this in any way affecting what the Colts do in FA and the draft.

C.O. Prime was an undrafted free agent that nobody wanted....to draft.  However, Muamba wasn't even wanted as an UDFA so he had to go to Canada.  That's the point.  If any NFL team felt that he would be a good NFL player, then he would have either been drafted or signed after the draft as an UDFA but Muamba was neither.  Nobody wanted to draft him and nobody wanted to sign him as an UDFA so he went to Canada.  

Now, it's certainly possible that he's refined his skills and improved as a player during his time in Canada and I think we're all hoping that's the case.  However, it's far, FAR from a guarantee so, as others have said, I don't see this in any way affecting what the Colts do in FA and the draft.

Did some digging, I don't think he even entered into any NFL draft.  So it's not that nobody wanted him, it's just that nobody could have had the chance to draft him.  I can neither confirm nor deny this to be true, but in looking at some of the old espn list of prospects, Muamba wasn't on any of them.

Did some digging, I don't think he even entered into any NFL draft.  So it's not that nobody wanted him, it's just that nobody could have had the chance to draft him.  I can neither confirm nor deny this to be true, but in looking at some of the old espn list of prospects, Muamba wasn't on any of them.

That could very well be that he didn't enter the draft.  I didn't do any checking on it.  I just have to think though that if any team had any interest at all, they would have made contact with him at the very least after the draft as a possible UDFA signing.  Then again, maybe if a player doesn't make himself eligible for the draft, then he can't be signed as an UDFA?  I really don't know about that.  

I think offensive and defensive linemen are way more important than any other position of need myself.

I agree about OL but upgrades at ILB imo are more important than on DL.  Biggest concern with the DL are:

-Will Hughes be the guy to replace Redding and if so, when will he be ready to do so?

-Depth...Moala and Matthews are both FA's and both could be upgraded.  Also who will be Chapman's backup?

He's Canadian, so he went through the CIS instead of NCAA, then declared into the CFL . So your correct, he never declared for the NFL.

Good to hear from someone who actually watched him play.  From what I read, his speed is pedestrian, but that doesn't mean he plays slow in pads.  There are plenty of guys who run a fast 40.  Unless you're a WR, that's almost non relevant.

I'd be more concerned about his size and durability.

Agree like to hear from guys that have seen him play. Watching the tape he seems a little small to me for the inside, he looks like Freeman's little brother. With that said he seems to have a nose for the ball, play fast, tackle well, seems athletic, I like the signing think he makes the team, as a ST player to start & is Freeman's backup. Honestly he reminds me of a smaller Freeman. I would still draft a IIL with size, we will see. Sheppard played much better at the end of last year, & McNary looks very promising. It will be intrusting to see what Grigson thinks in the draft.

Nope, hes a LB

It's not entirely uncommon for an undersized LB to convert to Safety in the pros.  The problem is he would likely be in the same mold as Landry and if the Colts are going to be looking for a new safety it will likely be one that is more of a coverage safety.

I love this signing! Can see him being an impact signing. Don't care if he's undersized, he plays with speed and power which is the most important think. So long as he doesn't do a Bob Sanders I think we have a winner!

I'm being very optimistic about this and think him and Freeman within 3 years can be as good as Willis and Bowman are now.

Imagine if for starting linebackers in a few years time Adongo/Muamba/Freeman/McNary. All UDFA's and it could actually happen

I agree about OL but upgrades at ILB imo are more important than on DL.  Biggest concern with the DL are:

-Will Hughes be the guy to replace Redding and if so, when will he be ready to do so?

-Depth...Moala and Matthews are both FA's and both could be upgraded.  Also who will be Chapman's backup?

You are right but without a #1 pick an offensive lineman is very much the most needed. As good as Luck has been it was sure not an issue the offensive line can claim. If Luck was not mobile he would have been the most sacked QB in the NFL.

It's not entirely uncommon for an undersized LB to convert to Safety in the pros.  The problem is he would likely be in the same mold as Landry and if the Colts are going to be looking for a new safety it will likely be one that is more of a coverage safety.

Not uncommon, but just doesnt fit in this circumstance. Hes a downhill kind of defender, wouldnt be in either parties best interest in having him backpedal and play in zone all day, not his strength and its already a big jump as it is. He's made his living in the front 7 so far, I think he'll continue. He's only 24 so not much older then any senior in the draft this year, so I say its more likely they try and add 8-10 pounds with a cycle.. eerr.. sorry "workout regime" then try and convert him to safety. Just my not so expert, expert opinion.