Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most humiliating loss in SB history?

The Laughing Man

A similar thread over at another forum posed the question of whether this was the most humiliating loss in the history of the Superbowl. The overwhelming majority of the posters have chosen this year's Broncos, which surprised me somewhat. Granted, 8 points with the greatest offense of all-time  (helmed by a record-setting QB who was lauded as the greatest ever going into the game) is pretty pathetic, and they were favored to boot.

On the other hand you have the '07 Pats, who were undefeated and favored heavily (helmed by a record setting QB who was lauded as the greatest ever going into the game), and who were favored by double digits. The Pats only put up 14 with the (then) greatest offense ever. The difference, of course, is that they made the game competitive against already established they could compete with them during the regular season.

And of course you have other teams like the '68 Colts...

In any event, what are your thoughts?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This years broncos loss by far!

IMO the Seahawks were NOT that much better than the Broncos - no way no how!    If the two teams played 10x the Broncos would win the majority!

I would be legitimately surprised if that Broncos won 1 game in a series of ten against the Seahawks.

07 Patriots and this year broncos loss are both humiliating. I say the more humiliated loss goes to the 07 Patriots. Going undefeated all the way to the superbowl and then losing. That is really embarrassing. I really don't know. I say both teams goes head to head. If only i could simulate the 07 Patriots vs. 2013 Broncos. The loser would take the cake in most humiliating loss.

07 Patriots and this year broncos loss are both humiliating. I say the more humiliated loss goes to the 07 Patriots. Going undefeated all the way to the superbowl and then losing. That is really embarrassing. I really don't know. I say both teams goes head to head. If only i could simulate the 07 Patriots vs. 2013 Broncos. The loser would take the cake in most humiliating loss.

Pats would win that, They had physical receivers to

Broncos would win. 

http://www.whatifsports.com/NFL/boxscore.asp?GameID=10854648&teamfee=-1&theme=-1

2007 Patriots/Giants was actually a GREAT game though. Tight physical game till the end that could go either way. Brady got them the lead in the end too. The miracle helmet catch/escape with Eli was one in a million.....

This was much much worse. This was a knockout punch from the start. There was no "game". I never felt like Denver would get going. Seattle is a great team and all but even the soft dome Saints gave them a tough game in Seattle for the playoffs.

Not too many here were even picking Seattle to win outside a few. Most felt SF would outscore them in the end in the NFCCG.

A similar thread over at another forum posed the question of whether this was the most humiliating loss in the history of the Superbowl. The overwhelming majority of the posters have chosen this year's Broncos, which surprised me somewhat. Granted, 8 points with the greatest offense of all-time  (helmed by a record-setting QB who was lauded as the greatest ever going into the game) is pretty pathetic, and they were favored to boot.

On the other hand you have the '07 Pats, who were undefeated and favored heavily (helmed by a record setting QB who was lauded as the greatest ever going into the game), and who were favored by double digits. The Pats only put up 14 with the (then) greatest offense ever. The difference, of course, is that they made the game competitive against already established they could compete with them during the regular season.

And of course you have other teams like the '68 Colts...

In any event, what are your thoughts?

Well....the most sickening to me was that SB the Colts lost to the Jets...thanks for bringing it up. :censored2:

But I'd have to say that getting trounced as badly as the high-flying Broncos did the other day is the worst humiliation in Super Bowl history.

At least the 07 Pats took it down to the wire against a Giant defense that was pretty tough in its own right.

I was going to say that it was a toss up between this year's Broncos and the '07 Patriots.  But, then I remembered this and have to give the edge to the '07 Patriots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rly4BuUKZS0

I can't even get over the hilariousness of this.The slowdown of the video made it all the more juicy. 

This years broncos loss by far!

IMO the Seahawks were NOT that much better than the Broncos - no way no how! If the two teams played 10x the Broncos would win the majority!

This was the worst possible matchup for Denver. They would be lucky to keep ANY game within 10 points of the Seahawks. Peyton plays exactly into how Seattle wants QB's to play.

Seattle is and was by far the better team.

If I had to choose only between the 2007 Patriots and 2013 Broncos, it is definitely the Broncos. 2007 Patriots were at least competitive till the end. 2013 Broncos, you didn't even feel a consistent pulse.

Overall, if you were to ask me, yeah that 49ers whooping of the Broncos 55-10 takes the cake :).

If I had to choose only between the 2007 Patriots and 2013 Broncos, it is definitely the Broncos. 2007 Patriots were at least competitive till the end. 2013 Broncos, you didn't even feel a consistent pulse.

Overall, if you were to ask me, yeah that 49ers whooping of the Broncos 55-10 takes the cake :).

But this Broncos team was hailed as the greatest offensive machine the NFL had ever seen - and it had the statistics to back it up.

Yeah, maybe the 2007 Patriots was billed as the same (Brady had 50 TDs didn't he?) but the Broncos were absolutely eaten alive by the Seahawks. 8 points from such hype is, in a word, humiliating. To me, yes, it tops my list.

If we really want to start talking about humiliation, why don't we start with the 2-14 Texans. Kinda lame picking on a team that beat 15 other rivals to get to the big dance. Me thinks some hidden agenda's floating around on here.

Or perhaps just celebrate a magnificent all round game by Seattle?

2007 Patriots. Undefeated status on the line. Unique situation and probably would have been heralded as the best team in NFL history. Although even if they won the SB that year I personally wouldn't even consider them the best Patriots team, let alone in all of NFL history. Imo the best Pats team was 2004 whether they won the SB or not. That team was amazing.

In the eyes of many if the Pats went 19-0 they'd be the GOAT.

Its still way up there, Broncos hardly put up a fight, It was complete domination from the first snap on

They  dominated themselves on the first snap with a fantastic display of ineptitude. Then the Seahawks made them their female dogs for sixty minutes.

Any time Denver got something going, the Seahawks either made a play or Denver found a way to screw it up. Or both at the same time.

I'd say the Bronco beatdown is maybe #3 or 4. Us losing to the Broadway Joe and the Jets way back when was pretty bad so I'd put that at #2.

The Giants and Pats played the last week of the season in NY and the Pats scraped out a 38-35 win that came down to the final possession so their SB game with the Giants was not surprising or humiliating. The fact that they lost was the stunner because they had not lost all season but had several nail-biters throughout. And that Giant defense front was every bit as good as the Seattle secondary this year which is why the score was so low.

I would easily say this year's Broncos is more humiliating because the game was never competitive. The Broncos also had the most historic offense of all time, better then the Pats in 2007 so this IMO would rank as the worst.

Although I might put the Rams/Pats 2002 SB up there as well but again that game was also competitive to the end.

2007 was not humiliating at all. Game was competitive and came down to the final possession. A tough loss and unexpected and an upset but not humiliating. Both teams had played just a few weeks earlier with the game decided by 3 points.

This 2013 SB is stunning in that it was not competitive. But many SBs have been the same way.

Pats '07 was a great game though, in hindsight. It was humiliating in the sense that they got so close to perfection and lost it by the thinnest of margins (the blue and red paint on David Tyree's helmet, basically). 

But c'mon, in terms of competitiveness, I don't think there's any comparison to the actual game that took place the other night. The Broncos were favored, they also had a record-setting offense, and they cumulatively pooped themselves like 10 seconds into this one. 

I almost added the '85 Pats team too, but that was a case of Cinderella's coach turning back into a pumpkin against one of the greatest defenses ever assembled. Plus, it gets lost in history, they at least took a 3-0 lead in that one before the carnage began.  ;)

2007 Patriots. Undefeated status on the line. Unique situation and probably would have been heralded as the best team in NFL history. Although even if they won the SB that year I personally wouldn't even consider them the best Patriots team, let alone in all of NFL history. Imo the best Pats team was 2004 whether they won the SB or not. That team was amazing.

In the eyes of many if the Pats went 19-0 they'd be the GOAT.

They dominated themselves on the first snap with a fantastic display of ineptitude. Then the Seahawks made them their female dogs for sixty minutes.

Any time Denver got something going, the Seahawks either made a play or Denver found a way to screw it up. Or both at the same time.

I'd say the Bronco beatdown is maybe #3 or 4. Us losing to the Broadway Joe and the Jets way back when was pretty bad so I'd put that at #2.

Lol who is the Broadway Joe?

Super Bowl 35 Ravens over Giants..34-7..Besides the kickoff return, the Giants were never in Ravens territory the entire game.

Baltimore allowed only 152 yards of offense by New York (the third lowest total ever in a Super Bowl), recorded 4 sacks, and forced 5 turnovers. All 16 of the Giants' possessions ended with punts or interceptions, with the exception of the last one which ended when time

expired in the game. New York's lone touchdown, a 97-yard kickoff return, was quickly answered by Baltimore on an 84-yard touchdown return on the ensuing kickoff. The Giants became the first team since the Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII to not score an offensive touchdown and the fifth overall (joining the Bengals as well as the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IX, the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII and the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl VI.)