Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most humiliating loss in SB history?

The Laughing Man

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you know if a.player isn't humiliated losing by three?

Not sure if you are just trying to be contrarian here for the sake of playing devil's advocate. But I have never heard any football player who has ever lost any game by 3 points much less a Super Bowl, describe the defeat as humiliating.

Not sure if you are just trying to be contrarian here for the sake of playing devil's advocate. But I have never heard any football player who has ever lost any game by 3 points much less a Super Bowl, describe the defeat as humiliating.

have you ever heard a player losing in the superbowl say it was ok, because they only lost by 3?

Of course not but the point of the thread was not that losing was Ok but if this SB loss was the most humiliating.

and my take is, if you lose by 1 or 50 its the exact same outcome. They made it to the final two. They didn't get it done. But they really have nothing to be ashamed of or guilty about

and my take is, if you lose by 1 or 50 its the exact same outcome. They made it to the final two. They didn't get it done. But they really have nothing to be ashamed of or guilty about

Again though the thread was about the loss being humiliating. I get what you are saying as a loss is a loss but when one team is significantly outplayed in a SB that they were favored to win it has a different feel then just another loss. Which is probably why Manning flew off the handle by his standards when he was asked if the loss was embarrassing whereas his teammates, Welker and Bailey, both described the loss as embarrassing. I think if I was a Denver fan, I would be sick over the fact that the team looked unprepared and uninspired to play.

If we really want to start talking about humiliation, why don't we start with the 2-14 Texans. Kinda lame picking on a team that beat 15 other rivals to get to the big dance. Me thinks some hidden agenda's floating around on here.

Or perhaps just celebrate a magnificent all round game by Seattle?

How is it lame because I want to share my opinion? So you weren't critical of any other team in 2011 when YOU went 2-14? Get the hell out.

Humiliating?  No way, they got beat by a better team.   Add the fact that Denver played very flat and poorly and you get a blowout.

Seattle gave up 300 yards of total O.   The 85 Bears held NE to 120 TOTAL for the game.    That was the All TIME BEATDOWN.

And why does NO BODY in the media talk about the GREAT John Elway's play in the BIG game?  He had ONE in 5 games, losing 3 of them.  And in his 1st SB win he threw for 123 yards and an INT no TD's.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00/super-bowl/

John Elway was down right pitiful in his first 4 SB games.    But he wins his last one and plays well and it's a love fest for the Great John Elway.      Manning's book is not finished yet, if he gets there again and wins it....     Nobody will remember this "humiliating" loss.

I personally think Denver had a great year considering all the injuries they went through..

How is it lame because I want to share my opinion? So you weren't critical of any other team in 2011 when YOU went 2-14? Get the hell out.

I explained why. And I am staying put.

For the record, the only team I complained about during our 2-14 was the Colts. I don't patrol other teams' boards to gloat, stir thing up, or whine like a baby. I have better things to do. But please stay. I kinda like watching your sour grapes spill all over this forum. Regularly.

I explained why. And I am staying put.

For the record, the only team I complained about during our 2-14 was the Colts. I don't patrol other teams' boards to gloat, stir thing up, or whine like a baby. I have better things to do. But please stay. I kinda like watching your sour grapes spill all over this forum. Regularly.

LOL. Please explain how I have "sour grapes", o holy one, who thou never ever criticized a team during your 2-14 campaign which I'm sure is completely true.

No but its not humiliating...

The Pats losing by three is no where near as humiliating as losing by 40.

I don't find the final score to be biggest factor in what made 18-1 humiliating, but it was part of it.

It's the culmination of all of the chest thumping of the media/many Pats fans of how the Giants had no chance and how this was the best team ever assembled. Brady mocking the G-men's D with his "only 17 points" quote just compounded the issue.

I don't find the final score to be biggest factor in what made 18-1 humiliating, but it was part of it.

It's the culmination of all of the chest thumping of the media/many Pats fans of how the Giants had no chance and how this was the best team ever assembled. Brady mocking the G-men's D with his "only 17 points" quote just compounded the issue.

Agreed...

The 2007 Superbowl is considered one of the greatest games of all time.

Let that sink in.

How is that embarrassing?

Disappointing for Patriot nation, yes, but humiliating? That game was an epic freaking battle.

I don't think humiliating means what you think it means.

What Denver and Peyton did last sunday was just pathetic.Worst Superbowl I've ever seen.

It was humiliating for the AFC too since it made us look like the powder puff girls thanks to the softies in Denver who could not even handle the crowd noise.

Why is this humiliating for you...???  THIS is what you wanted  so you can   NOW post again.    You would have sworn off posting, would have sworn off football altogether  had the Broncos won...   Isn't that what I read  a few days ago...???

It was humiliating for the AFC too since it made us look like the powder puff girls thanks to the softies in Denver who could not even handle the crowd noise.

i guess the whole afc is the powder puff girls considering the best team in the afc got beat down by the seahawks.

i guess the whole afc is the powder puff girls considering the best team in the afc got beat down by the seahawks.

Why is this humiliating for you...???  THIS is what you wanted  so you can   NOW post again.    You would have sworn off posting, would have sworn off football altogether  had the Broncos won...   Isn't that what I read  a few days ago...???

You both can be so precious. Thank you for that!!!

:hippie:

Its still way up there, Broncos hardly put up a fight, It was complete domination from the first snap on, It was a bad matchup for the Broncos, Broncos never really challenged them from the first snap on

If 18 was a Bull Rider  he would have earned a golden buckle for staying on for 12 seconds . 

IMO Seattle was a bad match up for any team that day  .

Actually it was only humiliating for those with a vested interest in the Broncos , As a Colts fan I'm proud of our AFC South Champs they beat all the best teams including both SB participants .

Well the amazing thing is that you posted that you would be out of the country  and not able to post  during the game but I saw your conversations in status updates with Bogie laughing about the game. Guess your trip got cancelled or was that a bluff like other things I have read from you :dunno:  You may as well realize people have better memories than you give them credit for.

Well the amazing thing is that you posted that you would be out of the country  and not able to post  during the game but I saw your conversations in status updates with Bogie laughing about the game. Guess your trip got cancelled or was that a bluff like other things I have read from you :dunno:  You may as well realize people have better memories than you give them credit for.

I was out of the country for a week, even said so to Bogie in the status updates you all memorized since we lead such interesting lives apparently that are worth practically stalking. And if you want more information, I am heading to Vegas for a week at the end of the month for business. Maybe I can post there in the hotel, maybe not. My recent trip was cut short though due to my parents flu which is now getting better.

Never thought middle aged folks online would find me so interesting when they claim to try to avoid me. I never pay a lick of attention to your updates or posts really unless you reply to me which several of you do lately.

Maybe you should put me on ignore if you find me so offensive.

I was out of the country for a week, even said so to Bogie in the status updates you all memorized since we lead such interesting lives apparently that are worth practically stalking. And if you want more information, I am heading to Vegas for a week at the end of the month for business. Maybe I can post there in the hotel, maybe not. My recent trip was cut short though due to my parents flu which is now getting better.

Never thought middle aged folks online would find me so interesting when they claim to try to avoid me. I never pay a lick of attention to your updates or posts really unless you reply to me which several of you do lately.

Maybe you should put me on ignore if you find me so offensive.

Well as you put it this middle age lady is going to bed I'm tired of all the stalking I have been doing. :sleepy: FYI  your not nearly as interesting as you think you are. Ignore is now activated.

I must lead a very interesting life for as many people have commented about that one status conversation.

The 85 Bears held NE to 120 TOTAL for the game.    That was the All TIME BEATDOWN.

That was a train wreck for sure, but... 

The 1985 Patriots scored 362 points (to the 2013 Broncos' 606), went 11-5 (compared to 13-3) and won three road games to get to the Super Bowl. They were also 11 point underdogs to the team that nearly finished the season undefeated and that a lot of people regard as having the best single-season defense in the NFL. Ever. I think most observers would say that game went exactly as it should have. 

The Patriots lost that one by 36 points. The Broncos, favorites by 2, lost by 35. 

If you consider total yards that important, I won't begrudge your opinion, but I don't think that matters much. The Broncos got 8 points and a bunch of garbage yards in this one when Seattle clearly took their foot off the gas a bit. 

Thinking more about this question in general...

The 55-10 beatdown (SF/Denver, Super Bowl 24) was probably the worst one I've seen. I was rooting for Elway in that one. Had a buddy rooting for SF. He called my house every time San Fran scored, lol...

I'd say the Pats one in 07. The Seahawks were still the best team this year (record-wise and play-wise), and it honestly wasn't a surprise that they won. But I was stunned when the 18-0 Pats lost so casually to the Giants. 

Casually?

Did you watch that game?

The Patriots were winning with 3 minutes to go.  It also took a miraculous catch by Tyree to win that game.

Talk about misrepresenting the game.

And yes, this was the most humiliating loss in SB history.  Best offense in all of NFL history put up 8 points in garbage time.  From the first snap-safety, this game was an embarassment.

That was a train wreck for sure, but... 

The 1985 Patriots scored 362 points (to the 2013 Broncos' 606), went 11-5 (compared to 13-3) and won three road games to get to the Super Bowl. They were also 11 point underdogs to the team that nearly finished the season undefeated and that a lot of people regard as having the best single-season defense in the NFL. Ever. I think most observers would say that game went exactly as it should have. 

The Patriots lost that one by 36 points. The Broncos, favorites by 2, lost by 35. 

If you consider total yards that important, I won't begrudge your opinion, but I don't think that matters much. The Broncos got 8 points and a bunch of garbage yards in this one when Seattle clearly took their foot off the gas a bit. 

Thinking more about this question in general...

The 55-10 beatdown (SF/Denver, Super Bowl 24) was probably the worst one I've seen. I was rooting for Elway in that one. Had a buddy rooting for SF. He called my house every time San Fran scored, lol...

You forgot that the Pats also led at one point 3-0. lol. I believe it is still the only SB in history where the opening kickoff was fumbled.

In thinking about 1985, the Dolphins should have beaten the Pats that year in the AFCCG game which was played at the old Orange Bowl. Up until that game the Pats had never won there. Marino had a rough game throwing I think 2 or 3 picks. But as I look back on it now, as psyched as I was that the Pats made it, I wish we got a chance to see that Miami team again as they were the only ones that beat the Bears in 1985 and put 40 on them to boot I believe.