Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most humiliating loss in SB history?

The Laughing Man

It's not even close, the Colts losing to the Jets was the most humiliating , because they embarrassed the entire NFL. On top of that, Shula was forced out of Baltimore due to this loss. Those Colt players who are still alive , will never get over the embarrassment of that game, even the ones that played two years later, and won Super Bowl 5.

Ah 1969. I will give you credit you somehow are able to fit your Baltimore Colts into any thread. And I am not sure I can disagree. But I think had Unitas played there is no way the Jets win so I think the Colts do get a bit of a pass for that game even though like you said it was embarrassing for the entire NFL. And as a result we have to still deal with Joe Namath. ;)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the part about Unitas. I guess it was a tough call for Shula , as the Colts were 13-1 , and Morrall was league MVP. However , after he was stinking it up early, he should have been pulled. Shula didn't repeat that mistake in Miami when Greise was injured during the regular season. He sat Morrall down , and played Griese in the playoffs.

It's not even close, the Colts losing to the Jets was the most humiliating , because they embarrassed the entire NFL. .

I would agree with that. The Jets beating the Colts was a huge embarrassment for the NFL in general and the Colts specifically. That win by the Jets set the stage for the merger.

Since then, there are a few Super Bowls equally humiliating for the loser. This last one by the Broncos among them.