Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the SB window closed in Denver?

SilentHill

If your in the playoffs it isn't closed. Sorry thats the truth. Their division is getting stiffer...its the best in the AFC for sure but they have an opportunity...and while I wouldn't make them favorites they can put together a strong run or 1 great game against the NFC and they win. We preach any given sunday but we say oh they have no chance. Its hogwash. Going into the playoffs many times you would say some of the wild card teams had no chance...like NY or Pittsburg or even us in 06. Again...they won't be a favorite but they should be in the playoffs. You lose possibly the best LT in football, pro bowl lb/pass rusher, starting safety and corner and your going to face some adversity. We know teams lost more but that team was limited by its defense which wasn't strong before the injuries and overcame a big loss on its OL with great qb play and schemes. They can put together a run...its very possible. Again not a favorite but not out of the picture...like NE.

Also, they should open up almost 16 million by cutting Champ, Dreissan, and Tamme. That leaves them with as much money as we have because they already have 14-15 million now. They have holes to fill but no more than most teams not named seattle and sf. Should be able to resign Decker, Woodyard, Phillips, and Beadles....and they do have a first rd draft pick that should be able to contribute this year and maybe they hit on someone else too...it only takes a couple contributors immediately...Ball and Wolfe and Williams started to come on later in the year...they have some young guys getting better. Potroast looks awesome in the middle...add back a pro bowl caliber olb in Miller and they get better. They will be competitive...maybe not a #1 seed with the schedule they have but would you want to play Denver in the wild card game?? Maybe some would but they would be a dangerous team...and the other teams in that division have to play a similar schedule in the NFC West too.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your in the playoffs it isn't closed. Sorry thats the truth. Their division is getting stiffer...its the best in the AFC for sure but they have an opportunity...and while I wouldn't make them favorites they can put together a strong run or 1 great game against the NFC and they win. We preach any given sunday but we say oh they have no chance. Its hogwash. Going into the playoffs many times you would say some of the wild card teams had no chance...like NY or Pittsburg or even us in 06. Again...they won't be a favorite but they should be in the playoffs. You lose possibly the best LT in football, pro bowl lb/pass rusher, starting safety and corner and your going to face some adversity. We know teams lost more but that team was limited by its defense which wasn't strong before the injuries and overcame a big loss on its OL with great qb play and schemes. They can put together a run...its very possible. Again not a favorite but not out of the picture...like NE.

Also, they should open up almost 16 million by cutting Champ, Dreissan, and Tamme. That leaves them with as much money as we have because they already have 14-15 million now. They have holes to fill but no more than most teams not named seattle and sf. Should be able to resign Decker, Woodyard, Phillips, and Beadles....and they do have a first rd draft pick that should be able to contribute this year and maybe they hit on someone else too...it only takes a couple contributors immediately...Ball and Wolfe and Williams started to come on later in the year...they have some young guys getting better. Potroast looks awesome in the middle...add back a pro bowl caliber olb in Miller and they get better. They will be competitive...maybe not a #1 seed with the schedule they have but would you want to play Denver in the wild card game?? Maybe some would but they would be a dangerous team...and the other teams in that division have to play a similar schedule in the NFC West too.

Yes cutting them would free up some $. I assume Tamme/Dressan would have some sort of hit (I know Bailey does not)....But after cutting them they would then have to sign 3 CBs (Bailey cut/DRC FA/Harris Res. FA)...and I dont know that you want to cut both TE's and assume Orange Julius can stay healthy, because he hasn't for 3 seasons.  

But with that scenario you listed I do think they could sign Woodyard/Phillips/Beadles/Decker. But I dont know that they would want too spend all the $, with both DT and Miller becoming FA the very next season, on top of Welker/Julius Thomas....

My completely uneducated guess would be to say that of the 8 or 9 premium guys entering FA this yr or next, only about 4-5 will be signed....Im willing to bet DT is a lock, and that alone is going to cost some serious coinage. (I think he could command much more than Mike Wallace did this year)

Like I said in another thread, the NFC has a murderers row...

It will be hard for any AFC teams getting past SEA/SF/CAR/NO...also let us not forget about them Cardinals, Larry Fitzgerald is taking a paycut to make the team around him better and stay with the franchise. They are going to be dangerous, Bruce Arians has done a fine job with them Cardinals in his first year.

Now back to the AFC, the Bengals are going to be better this year, I'm sure their QB coach will be working extensively with Dalton so he doesn't make the same bone head mistakes that he did this year. The Bengals have one of the best receiving corp I've seen in years, they just need the right QB to get things done. 

Also lets not sleep on the KC, this was their first year and no one expected them to be this good, next year they will be even better, and I'm sure they will be adding couple key pieces on their receiving corp and add depth to their DE's.

The Chargers will be better next year, that team has potentials, they found a gem this year in Allen, that guy can make plays, he will be awesome to watch this year. They will most likely get Floyd back too. The SD defense will be better, that defense looked great at times this year.

Lastly the Patriots, they will get a healthy Gronk at the start of the year, lets hope he can actually stay healthy for a full season, then they will have both Wilfork & Mayo back this off-season, Wilfork at his age is still going to be a force in the middle of the D-Line and stopping the run, I think he will be rested and ready to go this season.

I see Spikes not being re-signed, he is a good run stuffer, but I think we need a linebacker that can cover people and Jamie Collins will be a good replacement for him

The Patriots will need to get a receiver that can go down field and that has size so Tom can throw it up there and expect his receiving to be able to make a play at it like he did with Randy Moss...

Oh God.....it's as if nobody in the AFC will have a shot now again. All because the media chosen golden Gods in Denver showed their true softness in the big game finally after feasting on cupcakes all season long. Look, the Colts when physically motivated and somewhat healthy BEAT the Seahawks, BEAT the 49ers and BEAT the Golden Gods in Denver. But, nobody has a shot.....remember that.

Honestly if I was a Broncos or Pats fan maybe I would be pessimistic if my team was in the big game. Neither QB has been too hot in recent years against physical defenses that can get rough with either QB.

Seahawks are a great team but even got a tough game from the soft dome Saints in the playoffs. The Seahawks lost to the Colts, Cardinals and 49ers. But, no.....they cannot be beaten. The Bucs nearly beat the Seahawks.....IN Seattle. The TEXANS of all teams nearly beat the Seahawks.

The Broncos laid one of the biggest big game eggs I have ever seen. Everyone was acting like they were a done deal to win it all and cap off this Peyton season which since week 1 was all about Peyton in this league. And it didn't happen. But, that does not mean other AFC teams cannot put up a bigger fight vs. the NFC's best either. Not saying we win but that does not mean we can't fight better and prepare better. The Broncos DO NOT represent the entire AFC's potential.

I won't be stunned if Seattle gets another title but lets also calm down. I remember when Green Bay won it all in 2010 they were screaming DYNASTY.....RODGERS IS YOUNG.....

As for Denver I think they may need canes if they get back to the big game since they looked slower then both of my parents.

Oh God.....it's as if nobody in the AFC will have a shot now again. All because the media chosen golden Gods in Denver showed their true softness in the big game finally after feasting on cupcakes all season long. Look, the Colts when physically motivated and somewhat healthy BEAT the Seahawks, BEAT the 49ers and BEAT the Golden Gods in Denver. But, nobody has a shot.....remember that.

Honestly if I was a Broncos or Pats fan maybe I would be pessimistic if my team was in the big game. Neither QB has been too hot in recent years against physical defenses that can get rough with either QB.

Seahawks are a great team but even got a tough game from the soft dome Saints in the playoffs. The Seahawks lost to the Colts, Cardinals and 49ers. But, no.....they cannot be beaten. The Bucs nearly beat the Seahawks.....IN Seattle. The TEXANS of all teams nearly beat the Seahawks.

The Broncos laid one of the biggest big game eggs I have ever seen. Everyone was acting like they were a done deal to win it all and cap off this Peyton season which since week 1 was all about Peyton in this league. And it didn't happen. But, that does not mean other AFC teams cannot put up a bigger fight vs. the NFC's best either. Not saying we win but that does not mean we can't fight better and prepare better. The Broncos DO NOT represent the entire AFC's potential.

I won't be stunned if Seattle gets another title but lets also calm down. I remember when Green Bay won it all in 2010 they were screaming DYNASTY.....RODGERS IS YOUNG.....

As for Denver I think they may need canes if they get back to the big game since they looked slower then both of my parents.

Feel better, now...???    :lol:     You're a trip.

I can't even debate this question yet. I am still attempting to dissect the SB. Ask me again in October around Halloween. I will be better prepared to answer the SB window question then. Right now, I'd say no, but are talking about getting there again or winning it like Gavin said? 2 completely different questions. 

The thing that worries me is KC & the Chargers are getting ready to make their SB runs next season in Denver's division...Losing  the way the Broncos did is a crushing blow, 1 that cannot be easily shaken off. How long does the symbolic sting of defeat linger? How do you go about erasing it or using it as motivational fuel next season? I have no idea. 

I like what 100GFB said the window is NOT closed, but time & age have made the widow smaller now for Peyton. Can he still achieve further SB glory? Sure, but father time escapes no one not even the great Peyton Manning. 

An excellent point SW.

We occasionally see teams lose in the playoffs and put up a gallant effort and gain a "moral victory" of sorts....and then bounce back to even better success the following season. But its usually a young team on the ascent. And we know the Denver Broncos are not on the ascent.

The clock is ticking fast, and although I agree with those who say that as long as Peyton is in there, they have a chance....there are plenty of areas for concern with Denver and your reference to their mindset next year may be at the top of the list.

That wasn't just a loss Sunday....that was a beat down as painful to watch as this....

I LOVE feasting on cupcakes - had some just the other night. Tends to make me sick to my stomach unfortunately, but when they sit there asking for it I can't resist.

A couple of fact corrections:

The Colts beat the Golden Gods in Indy, not Denver. Huge difference.

MANY (if not most) experts predicted that the Seahawks would win the Super Bowl. Even Bill Polian.

Most experts are predicting that the Broncos will be competitive, but will be limited by a more difficult schedule and potential salary cap issues. Most also assume that they will continue to have problems with teams like the Seahawks (and the Colts for that matter). The only person using the words "nobody in the AFC will have a shot" is you - purely so you can turn around and prove your own exaggerated allegation to be such.

The NFL is all about match-ups - "any given sunday" and all that. The Colts would be a better matchup against the Seahawks than the Broncos right now, but that doesn't mean that the Colts can get far enough to have the chance, Plus the Broncos would match-up better than the Colts against most of the rest of the NFC. They may not represent the entire AFC's potential, but they very much represent a big chunk of it's present. Thus the early - utterly meaningless and inconsistent - predictions which seem to offend you for some reason.

You can howl at the night sky all you want, but you're likely to hear Peyton's name a few times next year regardless.

You can howl at the night sky all you want, but you're likely to hear Peyton's name a few times next year regardless.

I have no need to do that, enough howling took place February 2nd.

And you have a nice night and week, don't eat too many cupcakes!

Ravens, if they can get their O together in decent shape, the physical brand of football they play can match up to the NFC West folks, just saying. Steelers will be mired in cap dire straits for a year or two before they have a resurgence. But then, once you count them out, they make noise.

Patriots, its a matter of odds that Gronk plays a whole season in 2014. 3 years in a row, he has missed the AFCCG or been hobbled in the SB. If Gronk plays, Pats have a great chance. Besides, Belichick might double down on defensive acquisitions and enjoy better health, so I would not count Belichick out.

Ravens or Patriots, I see from the AFC, frankly. Colts will be a dark horse and if we can get a top 2 seeding, Colts can really be dangerous. Broncos will be at best a wild card #3 or #4, IMO, with their NFC West schedule, and I am not convinced Fox and his team can win 2 on the road.

Plus, it is all about matchups in the playoffs and if the Packers don't face the 49ers (say the Seahawks end up facing the 49ers in the divisional round), then I like the Packers chances if they play at Lambeau Field vs the Seahawks. NFC West playing the AFC West is not going to be easy for them either, IMO.

Saints, I am not sold on Brees on the road, period. Rodgers can ball on the road, except maybe vs the 49ers.

Packers, 49ers, Seahawks, I see from the NFC.

Wilson wins back to back titles and gets an early head start on GOAT status.

At this point, for the sake of that to not happen, I am almost hoping and wishing teams would sign away guys like Kam Chancellor and Michael Bennett away from the Seahawks. :)

Rodgers, discount double check, do something about it. Ted Thompson, improve that thingy called the defense again :). Packers should do whatever they can to avoid a 49ers matchup, lol

I have no need to do that, enough howling took place February 2nd.

And you have a nice night and week, don't eat too many cupcakes!

Oh, I howled all right, and every day since. Getting a bit tired and bored actually.

Time to resume giving somewhat less of a flying :goat:  about the :poke:. My life is calling.

Carry on.

At this point, for the sake of that to not happen, I am almost hoping and wishing teams would sign away guys like Kam Chancellor and Michael Bennett away from the Seahawks. :)

Rodgers, discount double check, do something about it. Ted Thompson, improve that thingy called the defense again :). Packers should do whatever they can to avoid a 49ers matchup, lol

True that, Packers have major issues with the 49ers. But, to their credit it was a pretty close game in the postseason this year. Maybe the ridiculously freezing cold though kept it closer then normal......not sure.

Yes cutting them would free up some $. I assume Tamme/Dressan would have some sort of hit (I know Bailey does not)....But after cutting them they would then have to sign 3 CBs (Bailey cut/DRC FA/Harris Res. FA)...and I dont know that you want to cut both TE's and assume Orange Julius can stay healthy, because he hasn't for 3 seasons.  

But with that scenario you listed I do think they could sign Woodyard/Phillips/Beadles/Decker. But I dont know that they would want too spend all the $, with both DT and Miller becoming FA the very next season, on top of Welker/Julius Thomas....

My completely uneducated guess would be to say that of the 8 or 9 premium guys entering FA this yr or next, only about 4-5 will be signed....Im willing to bet DT is a lock, and that alone is going to cost some serious coinage. (I think he could command much more than Mike Wallace did this year)

The more I look at it the more I think Decker goes. They likely sign Caldwell cheap and find another vet wr. That would definately save them money...and it isn't like they can't win without Decker...he is a big luxury. They do have Virgil Green who is actually a good run blocker and saw more playing time than Dressan and played as much if not more than Tamme. He had that run out of the back field against New England when he lined up with Peyton...so he is athletic and would be solid #2...sure they could find a cheap 3rd string te. I would think they focus on LB, CB, and OLB (pass rusher) in FA and draft. They have more flexibility than people think...but they won't be able to do much except the draft if they resign Decker I assume. Just depends on what he gets on the market. I can't imagine a team sees him as #1 and give him Wallace money. I would think he would get somewhere around 6-8 max. but I could be wrong. If he gets more there are better options in FA for the Broncos. DT is a stud as he showed in the playoffs and Welker and Julius...Caldwell did alright coming in...they could make do with a second tier guy in FA...or rent a guy for a year and hope it goes well....kinda like we did with DHB.

The more I look at it the more I think Decker goes. They likely sign Caldwell cheap and find another vet wr. That would definately save them money...and it isn't like they can't win without Decker...he is a big luxury. They do have Virgil Green who is actually a good run blocker and saw more playing time than Dressan and played as much if not more than Tamme. He had that run out of the back field against New England when he lined up with Peyton...so he is athletic and would be solid #2...sure they could find a cheap 3rd string te. I would think they focus on LB, CB, and OLB (pass rusher) in FA and draft. They have more flexibility than people think...but they won't be able to do much except the draft if they resign Decker I assume. Just depends on what he gets on the market. I can't imagine a team sees him as #1 and give him Wallace money. I would think he would get somewhere around 6-8 max. but I could be wrong. If he gets more there are better options in FA for the Broncos. DT is a stud as he showed in the playoffs and Welker and Julius...Caldwell did alright coming in...they could make do with a second tier guy in FA...or rent a guy for a year and hope it goes well....kinda like we did with DHB.

Word is Decker wants #1 money WR money so he will be gone as someone will give that to him. I am also interested to see what they do with Welker. $6 mil seems like a lot for a guy that is declining and suffered the concussions. No matter who they have lining though, I expect Peyton to make it work. Don't foresee 55 TDs again but the O will be fine.

Miller is the other big ?. They can force him to play the last year of his contract or try to work something out with a lot of outs for poor behavior.

Didn't I tell you guys that John Fox is never going to win a Super Bowl?

I was proven right....again.

Manning could have went to S.F. instead and then had a real coach, but then again he wouldn't get to control the offense 100% and run the stats up all day as he pleases while playing a division of cupcakes. S.F. is just a quarterback away from winning the big game. Three consecutive NFC Championship appearances for Harbaugh. The defense is light years better than Denver's, and they have an established run game under Harbaugh.

This was the Broncos last chance with a quarterback past his prime. They will not make it this far next year. If they even survive the tougher schedule next year similar to how the Colts barely survived it after losing the Super Bowl, it will go back to the usual; one and done. I don't expect the AFC to remain this weak next year, and you have to admit Denver benefited greatly from the entire conference being weak all around.

It don't matter if Manning throws for 6,000 yards and 100 TD's next year. They aren't winning nothing with that one dimensional offense that was so easily shut down when they finally came face to face with a real defense, and Denver's own defense is a joke that isn't very threatening when they do finally play teams that don't wet the bed knowing #18 is going to be glaring at them on the other side of the field.

QB's past the age of 35 typically don't win Super Bowls in the twilight of their careers. Tried to say it all year long and no one wanted to listen of course.

Manning could have went to S.F. instead and then had a real coach, but then again he wouldn't get to control the offense 100% and run the stats up all day as he pleases while playing a division of cupcakes. S.F. is just a quarterback away from winning the big game. Three consecutive NFC Championship appearances for Harbaugh. The defense is light years better than Denver's, and they have an established run game under Harbaugh.

Manning on SF or SEA would have been scary. Chose his heart instead of his brain.

He may not have put up otherworldly numbers with either team, but he'd have an actual complete team+coach. Both of which are far more important in winning championships than being just front loaded on offense with nothing else to go with it.

This was the Broncos last chance with a quarterback past his prime. They will not make it this far next year. If they even survive the tougher schedule next year similar to how the Colts barely survived it after losing the Super Bowl, it will go back to the usual; one and done. I don't expect the AFC to remain this weak next year, and you have to admit Denver benefited greatly from the entire conference being weak all around.

It don't matter if Manning throws for 6,000 yards and 100 TD's next year. They aren't winning nothing with that one dimensional offense that was so easily shut down when they finally came face to face with a real defense, and Denver's own defense is a joke that isn't very threatening when they do finally play teams that don't wet the bed knowing #18 is going to be glaring at them on the other side of the field.

QB's past the age of 35 typically don't win Super Bowls in the twilight of their careers. Tried to say it all year long and no one wanted to listen of course.

Don't you have bigger things to worry about? Like the one dimensional team in New Orleans?

Nailed shut.

This same topic was brought up last year after they lost to the Ravens. Then they win their division again, and go the Super Bowl, mostly without two of their four best players (Miller and Clady). Don't know why anyone would expect their window would be shut now, all of a sudden. They still have cap flexibility, they have added good pieces the past couple years through the draft, and they have a great QB. They'll be in the mix as long as they get production out of their key players, including Manning, who just had the best statistical season of any QB in history.

I have to ask, possibly losing pieces like Decker, DRC, and Moreno.

Who will replace them, and who can they sign to make the team better?

IMHO, unless Manning takes a pay cut, the Broncos SB window is closed.

They can get back to the super bowl, but the result will be the same.

After looking at the Broncos as of now according to Over The Cap they have $7,105,672.00 dollars in cap space, I think they release Bailey, Kuper, Vickerson. Tamme and Dressen....which would bring them to roughly $24,854.836 in cap space with still 7 draft picks to sign.....After looking at that I dont think the door is shut but I dont think they get back there, I think a couple AFC teams close the gap enough

This same topic was brought up last year after they lost to the Ravens. Then they win their division again, and go the Super Bowl, mostly without two of their four best players (Miller and Clady). Don't know why anyone would expect their window would be shut now, all of a sudden. They still have cap flexibility, they have added good pieces the past couple years through the draft, and they have a great QB. They'll be in the mix as long as they get production out of their key players, including Manning, who just had the best statistical season of any QB in history.

Good points and I agree with all of them. Couple of thoughts here though. The AFC was a much weaker conference then the NFC all season which significantly helped the Broncos win the conference and Manning's stats. I have to believe the conference will improve heading into next season. I don't believe they will be better then the NFC by any stretch but with the Colts adding pieces, the Pats getting healthy, Houston getting a QB, and the AFC West being the best division in the AFC by far, I just don't see things being as easy for Denver. Not to mention that they have to play the NFC West as well which could be 3 losses right there which was their total from last season.

I also do not believe they will ever with a Super Bowl with John Fox as HC. JMO. But that SB was brutal on his part.

The best statistical season of any QB in History is impressive till you watch the Superbowl 4 times then it becomes laughable & embarrassing because it meant nothing in the Superbowl .

2 years = 1 playoff win       Tim Tebow did that did'nt he ?  

The best statistical season of any QB in History is impressive till you watch the Superbowl 4 times then it becomes laughable & embarrassing because it meant nothing in the Superbowl .

2 years = 1 playoff win       Tim Tebow did that did'nt he ?  

My bad 18 won 2 forgot about san diego

I really wouldn't call their situation "cap flexibility"

2 years = 1 playoff win Tim Tebow did that did'nt he ?

Not sure how that has anything to do with whether their window is closed. If a team is good enough to get to the Super Bowl, and it's reasonable to assume that they will have a strong roster the next season, they are still a contender.

That's a "you" problem. They have plenty of cap flexibility.

How are we defining flexability? Ability to sign other FA's? Or ability to resign there own FA?

Assuming they make the cuts discussed earlier in the thread (Bailey,2TE) we are talking about what, $24mil?

They'd then need to resign pretty much the entire secondary. Or sign new ones. At least 3 DL/LBs (Ayers Woodyard Phillips). As well as 3-4 offensive weapons (Moreno, Decker, Caldwell, Holliday).

I think they can kiss Moreno/Decker goodbye....Lets assume a cheap secondary and DL/LB core at $2 a piece, about 6 guys, theres $12 gone right there, the draft class will probably be around $4ish, now we are at $16. Caldwell/Holiday at $1 a piece. $18....We are looking at them having about $6mill left over to sign depth throughout the rest of the roster, with this hypothetical (and more than likely wrong) scenario.    

I just cant picture the Broncos getting better, only worse....Yea they will gain Miller/Clady back which is a huge plus. But does it offset the loss of the rest of there roster? I dont think so. 

Like I said in another thread, the NFC has a murderers row...

It will be hard for any AFC teams getting past SEA/SF/CAR/NO...also let us not forget about them Cardinals, Larry Fitzgerald is taking a paycut to make the team around him better and stay with the franchise. They are going to be dangerous, Bruce Arians has done a fine job with them Cardinals in his first year.

Now back to the AFC, the Bengals are going to be better this year, I'm sure their QB coach will be working extensively with Dalton so he doesn't make the same bone head mistakes that he did this year. The Bengals have one of the best receiving corp I've seen in years, they just need the right QB to get things done. 

Also lets not sleep on the KC, this was their first year and no one expected them to be this good, next year they will be even better, and I'm sure they will be adding couple key pieces on their receiving corp and add depth to their DE's.

The Chargers will be better next year, that team has potentials, they found a gem this year in Allen, that guy can make plays, he will be awesome to watch this year. They will most likely get Floyd back too. The SD defense will be better, that defense looked great at times this year.

Lastly the Patriots, they will get a healthy Gronk at the start of the year, lets hope he can actually stay healthy for a full season, then they will have both Wilfork & Mayo back this off-season, Wilfork at his age is still going to be a force in the middle of the D-Line and stopping the run, I think he will be rested and ready to go this season.

I see Spikes not being re-signed, he is a good run stuffer, but I think we need a linebacker that can cover people and Jamie Collins will be a good replacement for him

The Patriots will need to get a receiver that can go down field and that has size so Tom can throw it up there and expect his receiving to be able to make a play at it like he did with Randy Moss...

Fitz didn't take a paycut.

I LOVE feasting on cupcakes - had some just the other night. Tends to make me sick to my stomach unfortunately, but when they sit there asking for it I can't resist.

A couple of fact corrections:

The Colts beat the Golden Gods in Indy, not Denver. Huge difference.

MANY (if not most) experts predicted that the Seahawks would win the Super Bowl. Even Bill Polian.

Most experts are predicting that the Broncos will be competitive, but will be limited by a more difficult schedule and potential salary cap issues. Most also assume that they will continue to have problems with teams like the Seahawks (and the Colts for that matter). The only person using the words "nobody in the AFC will have a shot" is you - purely so you can turn around and prove your own exaggerated allegation to be such.

The NFL is all about match-ups - "any given sunday" and all that. The Colts would be a better matchup against the Seahawks than the Broncos right now, but that doesn't mean that the Colts can get far enough to have the chance, Plus the Broncos would match-up better than the Colts against most of the rest of the NFC. They may not represent the entire AFC's potential, but they very much represent a big chunk of it's present. Thus the early - utterly meaningless and inconsistent - predictions which seem to offend you for some reason.

MAC, 75% of the so-called "experts" picked Denver. Check every sports website.

I think you have a loose definition of expert. I think a lot of football people talked themselves into picking the Broncos because the wanted another win for Manning. But I guarantee the real experts put money on the Seahawks.

So you signaled out one team out of 32 that wouldn't win the SB and that same team came within one win of proving you wrong.....and you are bragging about this? Man, you should put down the guitar and move to Vegas.

I was responding to a troll who said that "everyone said it was a done deal".  The comment was clearly another absurd exaggeration designed solely to irritate people like me, and I was attempting to balance it with rationality by saying that "many (if not most) experts" chose Seattle.

Here's a site that compiles picks: http://pickwatch.nflpickwatch.com/p/week-8-picks-z.html

It says that 57% picked the Broncos, and multiple people that I heard pick Seattle aren't even on here.

So which statement of the three do you imagine is more accurate and reasonable?

Those eager to dump on Denver either only hear what they want to hear, or pretend that Denver was an overwhelming favorite just to make their loss seem like an even bigger failure. Was Denver way ahead in the power rankings during the season? Is the AFC held in higher regard than the NFC? Is the AFC west held in higher regard than the NFC west? Seattle was the super-sized (and healthy) version of EXACTLY the type of teams that gave Denver (and Peyton led Colt teams) fits.

Even those who picked Denver acknowledged that it was a brutal match-up, they just thought that Denver had shown enough improvement in the first two rounds of the playoffs to overcome it. For every wishful comment about Peyton and that top offense capping their season with a SB win, there was a graphic demonstrating the previous failure of EVERY other top offense and QB. The betting line was less than a field goal, and I'd be willing to bet that it was viewed as basically an even game, with the "home team" advantage given to the most popular player in the league playing in his brothers town. I wonder what the betting line would have been if Vegas had realized that it was going to end up being essentially a Seahawks home game.

In short, the idea that the Broncos were overwhelming favorites is pure fantasy.

I was responding to a troll who said that "everyone said it was a done deal".  The comment was clearly another absurd exaggeration designed solely to irritate people like me, and I was attempting to balance it with rationality by saying that "many (if not most) experts" chose Seattle.

Here's a site that compiles picks: http://pickwatch.nflpickwatch.com/p/week-8-picks-z.html

It says that 57% picked the Broncos, and multiple people that I heard pick Seattle aren't even on here.

So which statement of the three do you imagine is more accurate and reasonable?

Those eager to dump on Denver either only hear what they want to hear, or pretend that Denver was an overwhelming favorite just to make their loss seem like an even bigger failure. Was Denver way ahead in the power rankings during the season? Is the AFC held in higher regard than the NFC? Is the AFC west held in higher regard than the NFC west? Seattle was the super-sized (and healthy) version of EXACTLY the type of teams that gave Denver (and Peyton led Colt teams) fits.

Even those who picked Denver acknowledged that it was a brutal match-up, they just thought that Denver had shown enough improvement in the first two rounds of the playoffs to overcome it. For every wishful comment about Peyton and that top offense capping their season with a SB win, there was a graphic demonstrating the previous failure of EVERY other top offense and QB. The betting line was less than a field goal, and I'd be willing to bet that it was viewed as basically an even game, with the "home team" advantage given to the most popular player in the league playing in his brothers town. I wonder what the betting line would have been if Vegas had realized that it was going to end up being essentially a Seahawks home game.

In short, the idea that the Broncos were overwhelming favorites is pure fantasy.

I think it was the Denver O that had people picking them. Most historic of all time and Manning played pretty well in the playoffs as well vs SD and NE. I agree though it felt more like a pick'em game. I think the real X factor was Wilson who showed tremendous poise for a second year QB making his first SB appearance. In contrast, Kaep looked pretty lost last year vs the Ravens until the lights went out.