Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the SB window closed in Denver?

SilentHill

Yeah, Flacco has some mobility and a big arm but i think most of that superbowl run was because of the guys trying to win one for Ray Lewis. The emotion that those guys played with it was hard for them to lose. Flacco is a little mobile and he would have done better then Peyton but he's not mobile like Luck or Big Ben. Bootlegs will help but 5 to 7 times during the game vs the Seahawks as a QB you have to take off running or buy a lot of time and Flacco isn't known for that, Luck and Big Ben are.

Joe Flacco showed me something this year with his OL issues while making plays like Big Ben though not at the same level. If you give him an OL close to what Brady or Peyton has, he has better boot leg and roll out abilities and the arm to go with it. Not to mention, Gary Kubiak will utilize those boot leg and roll out abilities too.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From winning a SB it is, from getting back there? No....but they cant run into Seattle again and probably not even San Fran

that's ridiculous.  If they can get to a SB then they can win a SB.  Their window is not closed as long as Peyton is there.  

Joe Flacco showed me something this year with his OL issues while making plays like Big Ben though not at the same level. If you give him an OL close to what Brady or Peyton has, he has better boot leg and roll out abilities and the arm to go with it. Not to mention, Gary Kubiak will utilize those boot leg and roll out abilities too.

Flacco showed you something this year? You're easily impressed.

Flacco showed you something this year? You're easily impressed.

You have to compare him to what he had vs what he did not have.

His OL went down the toilet once Matt Birk retired and Bryant McKinnie was just happy getting a fat paycheck. Then, Caldwell's play calling got too predictable and losing Boldin and Pitta right off the bat did not help. Jacoby Jones went down for a whole stretch of games.

Listen, he is no Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to carry the offense on his shoulders when the offensive talent has injuries, but he has the base QB talent with a very good ceiling to build upon team support. I was mainly comparing him to Big Ben and Luck in the AFC, that is it. He is by no means someone you can rely on putting 30 pts consistently in the regular season and that is why I did not understand the contract he received. But he does have ability to make plays outside the pocket, that is my contention.

You have to compare him to what he had vs what he did not have.

His OL went down the toilet once Matt Birk retired and Bryant McKinnie was just happy getting a fat paycheck. Then, Caldwell's play calling got too predictable and losing Boldin and Pitta right off the bat did not help. Jacoby Jones went down for a whole stretch of games.

Listen, he is no Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to carry the offense on his shoulders when the offensive talent has injuries, but he has the base QB talent with a very good ceiling to build upon team support. I was mainly comparing him to Big Ben and Luck in the AFC, that is it. He is by no means someone you can rely on putting 30 pts consistently in the regular season and that is why I did not understand the contract he received. But he does have ability to make plays outside the pocket, that is my contention.

I realize what he had/didn't have in Baltimore, but Flacco has always been an overrated QB. And he in no way compares to Big Ben.

The Broncos need home field advantage to make it back to the superbowl and that's not going to happen with how hard their schedule is and the division they play in. Peyton is not going to win in a hostile environment with bad weather @ NE, @ CIn, or in Lucas oil where it will be emotional for him.

The crowd noise effected the way they played the same thing will happen to them on the road. Based on the schedule, the division they play in, and the players teams are getting back from injury and not losing into free agency. This is how i would rank the teams.

1st seed NE 13-3

2nd IND 12-4

3rd CIN 11-5 

4th DEN 10-6

5th PIT 10-6 

6th SD 9-7

The Broncos need home field advantage to make it back to the superbowl and that's not going to happen with how hard their schedule is and the division they play in. Peyton is not going to win in a hostile environment with bad weather @ NE, @ CIn, or in Lucas oil where it will be emotional for him.

The crowd noise effected the way they played the same thing will happen to them on the road. Based on the schedule, the division they play in, and the players teams are getting back from injury and not losing into free agency. This is how i would rank the teams.

1st seed NE 13-3

2nd IND 12-4

3rd CIN 11-5 

4th DEN 10-6

5th PIT 10-6 

6th SD 9-7

If the Steelers or Ravens make some moves in free agency, I would not be shocked if one of them takes the division back from the Bengals.

Peyton was there this year.......How well did that work out?

So...the Patriots had Brady this year.  They lost the AFCCG.  They will lose any and all future AFCCG's because they lost this one.  Their window has closed as well.

:facepalm:

It's possible but the Bengals have so much talent on both sides of the ball that even when Dalton throws 3 INT's they can still win. i do think the Steerlers will make the wildcard. Ravens not so much because Flacco is to inconsistent and he doesn't have the talent around him like Dalton does to make up for it. Pettine is a great d coordinator did great with Bills and now with Browns i wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens finished last in that division.

If the Steelers or Ravens make some moves in free agency, I would not be shocked if one of them takes the division back from the Bengals.

I take it you have no response to that....But to elaborate on my opinion more they could potentially have alot to replace this year:

Shaun Phillips

Erick Decker

Weslye Woodyard

And they might have to replace Both of there starting Corners if they dont match any offer sheet made on Chris Harris and they cut Bailey...Not to mention DRC is a FA,

Im not trying to make it sound like all these guys are not replaceable but losing Decker and Woodyard and maybe even Harris would be significant, of course you always have a shot with Manning but they need much more then Manning to beat Seattle if they run into them this time next year....and they certainly could

I take it you have no response to that....

To be perfectly honest, I initially felt that the facepalm was all the response that was needed to the previous ludicrous statement that you made.

... of course you always have a shot with Manning but they need much more then Manning to beat Seattle if they run into them this time next year....and they certainly could

So in what bizarro universe does "of course you always have a shot with Manning" mean the same thing as they have no chance to win a SB?

This is going to be a tough year for it Peyton, that schedule is brutal. His age and the talent around him will play a huge factor as well. Same exact thing happened to Farve the year after the spectacular season with the Vikings. I think will start to see the beginning of the end for Peyton. He'll go down as one of the best but that superbowl blowout will prevent him from being in the discussion of greatest of all time with Montana.

Any team that makes the playoffs has a chance. The Broncos will likely be in there.

In spite of what looks to be a grueling schedule next season, the Broncos will probably be in the playoffs thanks to their offense. This is in spite of their defense/special teams/coaching. Just like Indy all those years. That's not all because of Manning, but he's a big part of the reason that's the case. Players like Orange Julius, Welker, Thomas and even Jekyl/Hyde incarnate Eric Decker deserve credit as well. Not to mention the entire O-line.

That being said, again, they have a chance but it's a long one. They'll need their defense and/or special teams to step up all post season long. Between the two fielding a championship caliber defense is most important. Even if it sucks for the regular season, it needs to play lights out in the playoffs.You can't count on the offense to win it every single time. Eventually you'll run in to a championship caliber D and if yours isn't, you're screwed.

I can't even debate this question yet. I am still attempting to dissect the SB. Ask me again in October around Halloween. I will be better prepared to answer the SB window question then. Right now, I'd say no, but are talking about getting there again or winning it like Gavin said? 2 completely different questions. 

The thing that worries me is KC & the Chargers are getting ready to make their SB runs next season in Denver's division...Losing  the way the Broncos did is a crushing blow, 1 that cannot be easily shaken off. How long does the symbolic sting of defeat linger? How do you go about erasing it or using it as motivational fuel next season? I have no idea. 

I like what 100GFB said the window is NOT closed, but time & age have made the widow smaller now for Peyton. Can he still achieve further SB glory? Sure, but father time escapes no one not even the great Peyton Manning. 

So...the Patriots had Brady this year.  They lost the AFCCG.  They will lose any and all future AFCCG's because they lost this one.  Their window has closed as well.

No not because they lost this one....of course not, They also have to replace a couple of pretty good players as well with not alot of cap room right now either, I didn't say the Broncos are done competing and getting to the playoffs I definitly think they will, I just dont think they will be able to get enough to beat a team like Seattle before Manning retires, Not to mention the AFC wont exactly be a walk in the park for the Broncos with Gronkowski back for the Patriots (if he can remain healthy of course), I just think over the course of the next year or two the Broncos have more to replace compared to the Patriots....Not to mention I think the Colts will have a say in things next year especially with all the cap they will have

A nice post HCF. An interesting link there too. Are those pundits being a prisoner of the moment or does a seasoned QB's options diminish based on other teams like INDY, the Niners, or the Chargers breathing down Denver's neck? My answer: I am leaning toward only 1 SB on his resume now, because John Elway can't afford to give Manning a great o-line & a great defense. Not enough salary cap room to achieve both objectives. Priority #1: Protect Manning upfront & pray that he doesn't face Seattle, the Niners, or that Carolina D in an upcoming SB down the road. 

Gavin & 100GFB are making perfect sense today IMHO. 

No not because they lost this one....of course not, They also have to replace a couple of pretty good players as well with not alot of cap room right now either, I didn't say the Broncos are done competing and getting to the playoffs I definitly think they will, I just dont think they will be able to get enough to beat a team like Seattle before Manning retires, Not to mention the AFC wont exactly be a walk in the park for the Broncos with Gronkowski back for the Patriots (if he can remain healthy of course), I just think over the course of the next year or two the Broncos have more to replace compared to the Patriots....Not to mention I think the Colts will have a say in things next year especially with all the cap they will have

And I agree with the majority of that, but I don't by any means think the Broncos window is closed either.  

This is going to be a tough year for it Peyton, that schedule is brutal. His age and the talent around him will play a huge factor as well. Same exact thing happened to Farve the year after the spectacular season with the Vikings. I think will start to see the beginning of the end for Peyton. He'll go down as one of the best but that superbowl blowout will prevent him from being in the discussion of greatest of all time with Montana.

I have to agree. Chance for Peyton winning another SB-ring is getting thinner. It is largely depending on Elway. If he would build a solid supporting cast for him and could upgrade D they might have another shot at SB. 

My educated guess is that Peyton can play at his highest level for 1 or 2 more seasons, so they'd better hurry. 

I have to agree. Chance for Peyton winning another SB-ring is getting thinner. It is largely depending on Elway. If he would build a solid supporting cast for him and could upgrade D they might have another shot at SB. 

My educated guess is that Peyton can play at his highest level for 1 or 2 more seasons, so they'd better hurry. 

It costs money to do that. They have too much tied up in large contracts

Yes, I wonder if the Broncos will look like the Vikings did the year after they went to the NFCCG and lost to the Saints. The wheels came off. I can see that happening to Denver given their team situation and the players they will need to replace and the tough schedule. I am sold either on Elway being a great GM. Manning  makes every GM he plays for look great but this team was exposed in the Super Bowl with its inferior defense and predictable O.

Pretty much, SB losers tend to not go back the next year, look up the history. And Denver got lucky all postseason with the weather.

And there is no guarantee the AFC will be as weak again next year. Other teams will rise up, the better teams may not suffer as many key injuries. Someone else may snag the first seed.

Pretty much, SB losers tend to not go back the next year, look up the history. And Denver got lucky all postseason with the weather.

And there is no guarantee the AFC will be as weak again next year. Other teams will rise up, the better teams may not suffer as many key injuries. Someone else may snag the first seed.

Yes, that reality is entirely possible Jules. SB teams tend not to repeat the following year, especially the one that falls just short of glory. I wonder what would be better: Denver making the SB again with tremendous pressure on them to win or lose the AFC Championship Game & remove the media spotlight of hot scrutiny & intensity? A tough call there. 

Okay, I was wrong in the now locked Floyd Mayweather topic when I said this to SilentHill:

"Actually SH, it will be more epic when he cashes all those winning chips in tomorrow evening. Floyd knows which race horse to back #18." 

When I make colossal blunder predictions that don't pan out, I own it. The Broncos lost in unprecedented SB fashion & I missed both the boat & the harbor. It is what it is. 2 lumps on the noggin coming up. Oh well.

I guess in building a SB-contender team the biggest challenge is to stay under the cap and signing quality players with reasonable contracts. That indicates the real value of a GM.

I don't know Broncos' cap-situation. Apparently there are some positions to improve so they'll have to have cap-space or they won't have another shot at SB.

I dont know that the window is entirely closed. You get the playoffs, you got a shot....that being said, I dont think there team will be as good next year, as what they are this year....I think without some serious GM work, the Broncos are going to crash and burn pretty hard in the next 2 years...

You've got Decker, DRC, Harris, Jammer, Bailey, Moreno, Woodyard, Ayers, Phillips all FA this offseason....And you cant give out to much $, because the next year you have DT, Welker, Miller, all 3 TE, and both starting DTs all hitting FA....

So you have pretty much every skill position player hitting FA, as well as all of your best defensive players hitting, in the next 2 years. You cant pay everyone, and you gotta hope you NAIL every single draft pick.....It doesnt look good going into the long term, so they gotta win now. Which is easier said than done.

My guesses would be Bailey getting cut, signing DRC long term, and over paying for it, and maybe signing Phillips to another short term deal....Harris may give them a bit of a discount due to the injury and other teams being weary. But maybe not.....They are only going to lose players this offseason, and not "gain" anything......The following year, it probably all gets burnt to the ground.