Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the SB window closed in Denver?

SilentHill

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to ask, possibly losing pieces like Decker, DRC, and Moreno.

Who will replace them, and who can they sign to make the team better?

IMHO, unless Manning takes a pay cut, the Broncos SB window is closed.

No team that has Peyton Manning as their quarterback has a closed window.

Unless the Broncos get players to make up a physical front seven and stop being Peyton centric and play D not to hold on to a lead but to generate scoring or to keep opponents from scoring, the Broncos are not going to be back in the SB.

It was not till the Colts' D said "enough is enough, we will run the ball on O and stop the run on D and generate turnovers and stop relying on Peyton excessively" did the Colts win a SB.

yes

Unless the Broncos get players to make up a physical front seven and stop being Peyton centric and play D not to hold on to a lead but to generate scoring or to keep opponents from scoring, the Broncos are not going to be back in the SB.

It was not till the Colts' D said "enough is enough, we will run the ball on O and stop the run on D and generate turnovers and stop relying on Peyton excessively" did the Colts win a SB.

ditto

I don't think any of those players are irreplaceable. I'm not sure what their options are this offseason regarding the salary cap but I'm sure they could find a couple of decent players to replace Decker and DRC. You could argue that the pieces are already in place to replace Moreno.

If Manning has another good year in him then I could see the Broncos challenging again next year. If Manning retires then I have no idea what would happen at QB and the potential success of the team would obviously come into question. They'd still be a good team though.

..That's a strange thought..

Manning's salary declines as his contract progesses....doesn't it?

That's not an issue...

They drafted Ball to replace Moreno...

If they cut Champ.(or if he retires) .they can pay Cromartie..

...and Decker is highly unlikely to leave..under any circumstances... would you?

//Denver lost 5 defensive starters as the season went on..and all can be back..

..the issue is the matchup with Seattle....they could use a faster No. 3 receiver

These questions are always kind of tough to answer and if being closed mean they will very likely not win a SB, then sure one could say it about the Oakland Raiders . . .if we are looking at it in the terms of their chances are reduced from this year and will start to fall off, then I think it will depend on a few things . . .

1) How will the mentality of the coaches and players (outside of Manning) will handle the loss? . . .  what is the mental strength of them . . .it did appear that some of them quit  before the game was over . . . and if there is a good portion that might have a hand over one player like Manning, may not be able to right the ship,  . . . we know manning will be fine . .

2) Decker might want to stay to play for a ring, but if he wants to get a 3-6 year deal, which he might and he does not see much after Manning he might want to leave . . . the same will be true for Moreno . .

I do think a few FA looses should not really effect their chances much, perhaps the offense will not be as strong as this year . . . given a weak AFC they do have a good chance to win the division and perhaps get back to the SB . . .  the colts should be strong and likely the Pats will not be weaker, so those two will give the Broncos a fight . . .

As it stands now, and could change, the NFC seems like it will be the stronger conference for the remainder of Manning's career . . . so as winning a SB is concerned it looks like Denver will have its work cut out for them . . . as for what it is worth or not . .  . luck, hangover and what not . . .it tough to get back to a SB after a SB lost from the prior year . . . which perhaps only leaves the following year . . .

Peyton did not show any drop off this season and they should be back next year . . .it might just depend if they can buck the trend and get back to the SB, after a lost, and try to beat the NFC . .  .we['ll see

That's not an issue...

...and Decker is highly unlikely to leave..under any circumstances... would you?

..the issue is the matchup with Seattle....they could use a faster No. 3 receiver

Let me correct myself...Manning's salary declined from the first year

..it does goes up in 2015 but it can be reworked....it was designed that way...

the bottom line is: Manning';s salary isn't going to block Denver ...from acquiring players

They will try to retain DRC as much as they can.

Decker isn't getting any money from anywhere. Anyone noticed how he completely disappeared in the Super Bowl? That's not uncommon for him. He can completely disappear for games at a time.

Moreno is the only toss up. They have Ball, but it wouldn't hurt to keep him.

As long as you make the playoffs you have a chance. Unless you think Peyton can't get into the playoffs their windows isn't closed.

That's not an issue...

"Manning's salary declines as his contract progesses....doesn't it?"

In 2014 Manning counts $17,500,000.00 against the cap

"They drafted Ball to replace Moreno"

Yes

"If they cut Champ.(or if he retires) .they can pay Cromartie.."

Broncos have roughly $7,100,006 in cap space right now available.....Cromarties scheduled right now to be on the books for all but $6 of that.....they will need to restructure a bit or release

The way I understand it they have TE Joel Dressen at 2.5 mil

...and TE Jacob Tamme at 2.5 mil...They only need one of them..going forward

Wesleyy Woodyard is about $3,000,000 and he lost his job late in the year

Champ is at 9 mil.........

Denver is going to have the money to resign Decker and Cromartie

......Beating Seattle or SF...that's another story...but they're set for battle in the AFC

If you're in the game, the window isn't closed. Anything can happen once you're there

agreed but there are teams that are bad matchups for them, such as we saw Seattle, How that game was going to go was predictable, Not necessarily the complete domination that Seattle showed but similar, Seattles defense was just a bad matchup for the Denver offense regardless who was QB, Denver receivers have trouble getting off physical coverage, Now if it was San Fran in the SB vs the Broncos then the Broncos have a much better shot and could have very well won but for Denver to have won vs Seattle it would have taken Wilson to crack under the moment and for that defense to go in not only believing there own hype but playing like it, Neither happened. Seattle played up to there potential..The superior team to Denver as both teams are currently constructed so they won

If they want to win they better focus on that defense. Manning will be great with any offense.

If they want to win they better focus on that defense. Manning will be great with any offense.

This is the best point..Eric Decker leaving wont crush the Denver offense...

You might think its ridculous but Id bet you Bubba Caldwell would gain 1,000 yards receiving if Decker left..

How many yards did Blair White get in 2010 with Peyton?

The way I understand it they have TE Joel Dressen at 2.5 mil

...and TE Jacob Tamme at 2.5 mil...They only need one of them..going forward

Wesleyy Woodyard is about $3,000,000 and he lost his job late in the year

Champ is at 9 mil.........

Denver is going to have the money to resign Decker and Cromartie

......Beating Seattle or SF...that's another story...but they're set for battle in the AFC

Likely cut Tamme, They would save 3 mill with only 5 dead cap http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Broncos

agreed but there are teams that are bad matchups for them, such as we saw Seattle, How that game was going to go was predictable, Not necessarily the complete domination that Seattle showed but similar, Seattles defense was just a bad matchup for the Denver offense regardless who was QB, Denver receivers have trouble getting off physical coverage, Now if it was San Fran in the SB vs the Broncos then the Broncos have a much better shot and could have very well won but for Denver to have won vs Seattle it would have taken Wilson to crack under the moment and for that defense to go in not only believing there own hype but playing like it, Neither happened. Seattle played up to there potential..The superior team to Denver as both teams are currently constructed so they won

But you cant assume Seatte or SF will be in the Super Bowl from the NFC next year....

You probably should just try to win your division and your conference..and see who shows up in February

The Broncos window of getting back to the superbowl is closed. Peyton is good enough for them to win 10 or 11 games but they will not have the #1 seed next year. They have one of the toughest schedules in the league next year having to play the NFC west, Patriots, Colts, Bengals, Chargers 2x, and Chiefs 2x. Last year they played a fairly easy schedule but they have to face some great defenses this year. 

I think the Colts, Patriots, Chargers and Bengals will all be improved next year. Getting back some of their key players back from injury but not really losing anyone like the Broncos will.

Likely cut Tamme, They would save 3 mill with only 5 dead cap http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Broncos

Good stuff , Gavin...

Why does Peyton's 'dead money' drop to $5 mil after next year ?  What's the advantage to that if the cap hit is high 

..and where does Chris Kuper ($5,000,000) fit in...?  He didn't play at all this year, did he? 

The Broncos window of getting back to the superbowl is closed. Peyton is good enough for them to win 10 or 11 games but they will not have the #1 seed next year. They have one of the toughest schedules in the league next year having to play the NFC west, Patriots, Colts, Bengals, Chargers 2x, and Chiefs 2x. Last year they played a fairly easy schedule but they have to face some great defenses this year. 

I think the Colts, Patriots, Chargers and Bengals will all be improved next year. Getting back some of their key players back from injury but not really losing anyone like the Broncos will.

Denver returns 5 injured defensive starters next year...they will be improved on 'D' through health alone..

...I dont see where the  improvement from Cincy and SD will come 

Closed, no. But I think it's going to be tough for all AFC teams for at least the next two years or so. And as others have said, the schedule for the Broncos looks brutal in 2014. 

They will be able to replace Decker's production, I think. Demaryius Thomas is the most physically gifted receiver they have, the hardest to replace if he goes... Decker's good but not great. Don't forget, with Manning as his QB, he literally doubled his production. 

Not just Sea or San Fran but i don't think they matched up well with the Panthers or Saints either. All four of those teams were ranked top 5 in defense and could run the ball. To beat those kinds of defenses not only do you need a QB that can throw from the pocket, but is also mobile and that has a big arm. Peyton is great but he's a statue and doesn't have a strong arm. Luck and Big Ben are the only guys from the AFC that have those qualities.

From winning a SB it is, from getting back there? No....but they cant run into Seattle again and probably not even San Fran

Good stuff , Gavin...

Why does Peyton's 'dead money' drop to $5 mil after next year ?  What's the advantage to that if the cap hit is high 

..and where does Chris Kuper ($5,000,000) fit in...?  He didn't play at all this year, did he? 

The 'Dead Money" is money the team is penalized for cutting said player, As to Manning (or most any other player in the nfl) they can choose to cut and pay the 'Dead Money' or keep said player and pay there salary for that year thereby taking on the cap hit. As to Peytons dead money question...Im not sure on that......It might have to do with pro rated bonuses still left....Not 100 percent sure

The Bengals are the only AFC team comparable to the 49ers or Seahawks, they have one of the top 5 rosters in the league just an inconsistent QB. The Chargers always give Peyton problems and Rivers is back to playing at a pro Bowl level. Peyton will get them to 10 wins max, but their schedule is tough. I think the Patriots, Colts, and Bengals will be the top 3 teams in the AFC and all match up well vs the Broncos.

Denver returns 5 injured defensive starters next year...they will be improved on 'D' through health alone..

...I dont see where the  improvement from Cincy and SD will come 

To be fair, the Broncos lost Vickerson, Wolfe, and Von Miller up front.

Luck and Big Ben are the only guys from the AFC that have those qualities.

Joe Flacco showed me something this year with his OL issues while making plays like Big Ben though not at the same level. If you give him an OL close to what Brady or Peyton has, he has better boot leg and roll out abilities and the arm to go with it. Not to mention, Gary Kubiak will utilize those boot leg and roll out abilities too.