Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady's quotes when saying Pats "win with graciousness" is a complete crock.

ReMeDy

"I approach the game and I have respect for my opponents. That’s the way our team always plays... When you don’t win... You just gotta shut your mouth and listen to it."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/tom-brady-on-richard-sherman-we-win-with-graciousness/

Sigh, okay, time to whip out the evidence. For the sake of better accuracy, I'm going to dismiss issues of players not currently playing for the current Patriots team, so for example, Rodney Harrison yelling at Brian Billick on the sidelines is a no go:

1.) The Patriots in their 2007 campaign were notorious for running up the score. Brady was quoted as saying they're trying to kill people. They're trying to blow them out if they can. Audio available upon request, but here is the quote here:

http://besteversportstalk.blogspot.com/2007/11/tom-brady-were-trying-to-kill-teams.html

2.) Brady vs. Ravens. After Brady slides, he exchanges heated words with Ray Lewis:

3.) Here Tom Brady is getting in the face of Anthony Smith from the Steelers. Sorry for low quality.

4.) Brady yells at a ref after the Patriots lose against the Panthers. Brady complains all the way into the tunnel, with profanities in tow. I wonder why Brady didn't complain about the tuck rule or that pass interference call to win against Cleveland...

5.) In Superbowl 2007 after the loss to the Giants, Belichick prematurely left the field without a handshake and didn't even wait for the Patriots team. Way to respect your opponents, Bill!

6.) Vince Wilfork tries to poke a defender in the eye.

7.) In one of the wins against the Colts, the Patriots complained about stadium crowd noise being pumped in. Turned out CBS took responsibility, and it wasn't really crowd noise, so the Colts deserved no blame.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d803f1ce4/printable/cbs-takes-responsibility-for-crowd-noise-discrepancy-at-indy

8.) Few years ago on an interview with 60 Minutes, Brady when asked who throws the worst spirals in the NFL, Brady said Peyton Manning (video upon request). Really? He couldn't have picked, oh I don't know... some 2nd or 3rd string QB?

Why cant Brady and the Patriots keep their mouths shut? They do this nonstop, and I'm sick of it. Just last game, Belichick complained about Welker taking out Talib, calling it the "worst he's seen." Argh, just shut up already! This is why I'm glad the Pats aren't in the Superbowl so I don't have to add more to this list. If they want to pretend like they win with graciousness, why cant they also pretend to lose with graciousness?

"I approach the game and I have respect for my opponents. That’s the way our team always plays... When you don’t win... You just gotta shut your mouth and listen to it."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/tom-brady-on-richard-sherman-we-win-with-graciousness/

Sigh, okay, time to whip out the evidence. For the sake of better accuracy, I'm going to dismiss issues of players not currently playing for the current Patriots team, so for example, Rodney Harrison yelling at Brian Billick on the sidelines is a no go:

1.) The Patriots in their 2007 campaign were notorious for running up the score. Brady was quoted as saying they're trying to kill people. They're trying to blow them out if they can. Audio available upon request, but here is the quote here:

http://besteversportstalk.blogspot.com/2007/11/tom-brady-were-trying-to-kill-teams.html

2.) Brady vs. Ravens. After Brady slides, he exchanges heated words with Ray Lewis:

3.) Here Tom Brady is getting in the face of Anthony Smith from the Steelers. Sorry for low quality.

4.) Brady yells at a ref after the Patriots lose against the Panthers. Brady complains all the way into the tunnel, with profanities in tow. I wonder why Brady didn't complain about the tuck rule or that pass interference call to win against Cleveland...

5.) In Superbowl 2007 after the loss to the Giants, Belichick prematurely left the field without a handshake and didn't even wait for the Patriots team. Way to respect your opponents, Bill!

7.) In one of the wins against the Colts, the Patriots complained about stadium crowd noise being pumped in. Turned out CBS took responsibility, and it wasn't really crowd noise, so the Colts deserved no blame.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d803f1ce4/printable/cbs-takes-responsibility-for-crowd-noise-discrepancy-at-indy

8.) Few years ago on an interview with 60 Minutes, Brady when asked who throws the worst spirals in the NFL, Brady said Peyton Manning (video upon request). Really? He couldn't have picked, oh I don't know... some 2nd or 3rd string QB?

Why cant Brady and the Patriots keep their mouths shut? They do this nonstop, and I'm sick of it. Just last game, Belichick complained about Welker taking out Talib, calling it the "worst he's seen." Argh, just shut up already! This is why I'm glad the Pats aren't in the Superbowl so I don't have to add more to this list. If they want to pretend like they win with graciousness, why cant they also pretend to lose with graciousness?

Numero Ocho por favor. 

The reality is that no one would ever accuse the Patriots of being gracious, least of all Bill Belichick. Maybe that doesn't bother some people, but it would bother me if they were my team. Brady is far, far from the worst offender in that organization but he has had some absolute doozies, that is for sure.

The Seahawks are fast approaching Patriot levels, though. Something interesting I noticed from the Championship games. Every Bronco (from Peyton, to owner, to Elway) who was interviewed on-field immediately following the game had something gracious to say about the Patriots almost immediately (and in Peyton's case, it was immediate). NOT A SINGLE Seahawk (player, coach, owner... and this includes Wilson) had a single gracious thing to say about the 49ers in the on-field interviews immediately following the game. That to me truly speaks volumes about the differences between those two organizations.

My little opinion...if you just have 8 times in over a decade to point to as poor winners/losers...well I think that's a pretty good track record for being pretty good sports. I mean they did win more than any other team in the decade...thats a lot of opportunity to act a fool and I don't think any of those qualify even close to what Sherman was doing this weekend. I like Sherman...think he got carried away and no way he should have been interviewed so closely after a heated game...but there is no excuse for what he said. I may think Bill is a bit of a sour-wuss win but especially lose and Tom kinda is starting to mirror his coach...he is much different than that laughing energetic kid in 01 but I think the Patriots are pretty classy.....minus Spygate....that was poor sportsmanship imo...bending rules, unethical imo but that is just my opinion...but I got no problem being a little animated after a big game...even with Sherman...and I've seen nothing close to what he did from NE. I'm sure anyone could find a dozen of our own little shinnanigans if we looked. I don't know why we are still trying to drag NE and Brady down...their season is over...stop piling on jeez.

NE has 10 times more class than Seattle....which has made a cottage industry of taunting, boasting, cheap shots and illegal drug use.

Compared to Seattle...New England is a bunch of boy scouts

..That was the point Tom Brady was making

While I don't like the Patriots and watching them lose makes me nearly as happy as watching the Colts win, this is 100% accurate.  The Seahawks are quickly replacing the Patriots as my most hated team because of how they act, and it's all a reflection on their head coach.  You have to respect how the Colts and the Patriots have run their teams during the past 10 to 15 years of excellence.  The same certainly can't be said for Seattle.

One player for Seattle acted a fool...

NE had it's coach and QB poo poo the rest of the playoffs.  

Who has class?  

NE has 10 times more class than Seattle....which has made a cottage industry of taunting, boasting, cheap shots and illegal drug use.

Compared to Seattle...New England is a bunch of boy scouts

..That was the point Tom Brady was making

You can hate on NE all you want and we all have. But, Tom Brady has done nothing wrong since he has been in this league other then represent the QB position well with class and passion.

The Broncos win is not a moral victory for us either IMO. Same with Eli and the Giants who did it twice in the Super Bowl. The Pats kicked the crap out of us (the Colts) a few weeks ago and showed how far we have to go to compete with the big boys on the biggest stages.

No matter what......you will find things that irritate you about many NFL players or teams. That's just how it works in a competitive professional sport where often emotions are at it's highest and teams often do whatever it takes to win.

You can hate on NE all you want and we all have. But, Tom Brady has done nothing wrong since he has been in this league other then represent the QB position well with class and passion.

The Broncos win is not a moral victory for us either IMO. Same with Eli and the Giants who did it twice in the Super Bowl. The Pats kicked the crap out of us (the Colts) a few weeks ago and showed how far we have to go to compete with the big boys on the biggest stages.

No matter what......you will find things that irritate you about many NFL players or teams. That's just how it works in a competitive professional sport where often emotions are at it's highest and teams often do whatever it takes to win.

Not always

Not always

What is this.......the Vatican or the NFL? I thought these guys were supposed to be football players not Priests.

Even Peyton has said stupid things before like "We had some protection problems" after we lost to Pittsburgh.

So what. People take every word or action so seriously. It must be the age of heavy internet use and media frenzy since well.......I can't imagine this type of crap going on when Montana/Marino were in their primes.

49ers fan: "Marino is SUCH a choker."

Dolphins fan: lolz Montana is SUCH a system QB

49ers: Who has the ringz buddy.......

Dolphins fan: WHO HAS THE RECORDS

49ers: rings rings rings.......

Dolphins fan: SYSTEM SYSTEM SYSTEM

Sigh........

What is this.......the Vatican or the NFL? I thought these guys were supposed to be football players not Priests.

Even Peyton has said stupid things before like "We had some protection problems" after we lost to Pittsburgh.

So what. People take every word or action so seriously. It must be the age of heavy internet use and media frenzy since well.......I can't imagine this type of crap going on when Montana/Marino were in their primes.

Sigh........

There is a difference between yelling at your own players and mad mouthing opponents.

Peyton is well known for his demanding style within this team.

The OP, gave quite a few examples. I know you don't agree but those were facts. Calling Brady a class act is a stretch. We got several incidents to prove otherwise.

Sigh........

That argument would've occurred in the stands or at a bar.  Maybe around a water cooler, too.  Social media/internet usage was still in it's infancy in the mid-1990s.  That was when the computer labs at my university were full of nerdlings playing DOOM or talking to each other via Usenet or IRC.  

Ah, the internet - opening up more new ways for people to annoy each other than ever before.

There is a difference between yelling at your own players and mad mouthing opponents.

Peyton is well known for his demanding style within this team.

The OP, gave quite a few examples. I know you don't agree but those were facts. Calling Brady a class act is a stretch. We got several incidents to prove otherwise.

Meh many rich athletes to me are all pretty corrupt behind the scenes from what I have heard. I don't buy the public image of many of them....even those on our own team. Just ask them to hopefully win games and stay out of jail but most of them IMO ain't no angels......

:)

And with that I will leave you all to argue to your hearts content on this subject.

Dont forget the playoff game where the pats beat san diego & pats players all gathered at the fifty yardline & did the lights out dance....

that was a nice classy move, it was funny though cause LT got pretty upset about it...

Looking back I actually think that was hilarious since it made Tomlinson lose his marbles. lmao  :popcorn:

Talk about pulling a quote out of context. He was asked about Richard Sherman's comments about Crabtree and I am pretty sure the Pats and every other team has never acted the way he did after a loss or win. No team or player is perfect but Sherman took it to a whole other level.

Talk about pulling a quote out of context. He was asked about Richard Sherman's comments about Crabtree and I am pretty sure the Pats and every other team has never acted the way he did after a loss or win. No team or player is perfect but Sherman took it to a whole other level.

Here she comes to save the day...

mighty_mouse_1.jpg

For contexts sake... your might mouse, and Brady as the damsel....

in every thread.

ha wow, every offense is trying to kill people.  That isn;t an example of poor sportsmanship or lack of class.. Nice try though.. oh let me guess, the Broncos weren't running up the score this year either right?  All those 4th quarter, up by 2-3 scores down at the 1-2 yard line and throwing passes still?  Or Manning on the Colts in 04?  nope, that was just good ole hard football!  The Pats though, those classless jerks were just running up the score on those poor helpless NFL football teams!

What a joke.

lol, you're using ON THE FIELD heated talk between rivals as an example of low class and poor sportsmanship?  Ray Lewis was in his ear all game, and I don't know if you know this or not.. probably not, seeings how it would totally destroy your entire argument on this one, is that Ray Lewis respects the hell out of Brady and thinks he is the best QB in the league.

Weak.

hahahhaaha!!  Oh poor Anthony Smith!!  The same Anthony Smith that was talking trash and making fun of all of Brady's receivers BEFORE the game to the MEDIA.  Nice try again Remedy.. you sound like the most bitter fan ever and it glows through all of your posts, its sickening.  You do your talking ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD, not into a microphone... He called out Brady's receivers and referred to them as numbers because he said they weren't good enough to know their names... brady scored a TD ON ANTHONY SMITH and let him know it... Anthony Smith is a nobody and he was the classless one calling out the Pats receivers before that game.. Brady made sure he reminded him of his stupid comments on the field, after scoring on him...

oh poor, poor anthony smith!  I want my QB doing that stuff, I want my QB sticking up for his teammates and getting fired up during a game.   Its funny, Plaxico Burress calls out the Pats offense BEFORE the game to the media and talks trash, and Brady responds to his comments and everyone piles it on Brady because they ended up only scoring 14 in that game...  And everyone is like "well you have to back it up on the field!"  Then fast forward to Anthony No-Body-Cares-Who-I-Am Smith talks trash BEFORE the game to a microphone and Brady goes and obliterates him and his pathetic team and does his talking ON THE FIELD and you have Colts fans crying about poor Anthony Smith's wittle itty bitty feelings getting all hurt.

Pretty pathetic.

Ahh finally you actually get to something that at least mildly supports your argument.  Obviously not one of Brady's finer moments, but in the context of that game, which was a Monday Night Football game on prime time that came down to the wire and his tight end gets basically tackled in the back of the end zone... a flag is thrown and then the flag was PICKED BACK UP... and the refs offered no explanation whatsoever of why it all went down like that... Yea.. in the heat of the moment, Brady wanted some explanation and he was giving the ref an earful on his way to the tunnel.

Fast forward 15 minutes later when he did his post game presser and had some time to calm down and let the adrenaline leave his body, he was cordial and respectful like he always is.

I don't even think this is an example of poor sportsmanship or class, but at least it can be argued, unlike your first 3 points.

The most overblown and out of context point in SB history.  The game clock should have run off and the game should have been over... Everyone thought the game was over, including Belichick and Coughlin, like 500 media people, the security staff, body guards, etc...  

You obviously didn't watch that game or suffer from memory loss.. because everyone ran out onto the field thinking the game was over.. Belichick met Coughlin at mid field and shook his hand, then the refs had to tell everyone that the game was not really over and that there was 1 second left on the clock...  so they wasted everyones time and made them go and snap the ball 1 time, then Belichick ran to the locker room.  Suggesting that he didn't shake his opponents hand is a complete fabrication and an outright lie.  He did shake Coughlins hand at midfield when they and everyone else thought the game was over already.

Nice try though, I know you really have to reach to find stuff to support your argument.

I doubt he was intentionally trying to poke his eye and moreso poke his facemask.. but at least you found something that can be argued to support your point.   2 out of 6 so far.

This in no way supports your argument.  First of all, it doesn't say who was complaining about it.. secondly, it was something the league had to officially address and there was evidence from the broadcast that something like that could be happening.  The league investigated and the networks had to get involved and they determined the root cause of the issue.

This is something that they not only had to address for the Patriots, but to all of the viewers at home as well.  It deserved an explanation and it was explained.

Link or it didn't happen..  I don't remember anything like this and Ive been around these forums since 2002.. If Brady said that, im sure there would have been 100 threads on it and half the city of Indy would be out with pitch forks.  

If you have the video, id love to see it.  Video gives the full context of comment as well, so if you have a video then Im not sure why you wouldn't post it with this point like you did for all the others

You come off as bitter and full of hate and its pretty pathetic.  I'll be rooting for the Broncos in the Super Bowl, but honestly its fans like you and some others that are similar here on these Colts boards that make it so incredibly difficult to root for them because I know how obnoxious you all are and how much more obnoxious you'll be if Manning wins another SB.  

Its like you get some sort of moral victory just because another team beat the Patriots.. something your team couldn't do.  Its pretty sad really, this whole mentality that well hey we didnt beat them but its just as good if team X, Y or Z does!  I wonder if your hate for the Patriots outweighs your love of the Colts.  It really does appear that way.  I've honestly been disgusted by a few fans on these Colts forums and they way they have acted not only all season long but especially after Denver (not Indy) beat the Patriots in the AFCCG.

You talk about class and sportsmanship, well why don't you take a look in the mirror and do some soul searching yourself... because a lot of you here seriously lack both and then try to justify behaving like animals because Rodney Harrison 7 years ago said something you didn't like.

Luckily the Pats aren't going anywhere.  They've been to 3 straight AFC Championships and I think that next year they'll have as good a shot as anyone else to be right back in the hunt... and i know that tears you up inside because its obvious that you have an unhealthy hatred for Brady and the Pats that twists your perception of reality to see things in your bias, hate-filled glass.

I'd honestly recommend a therapist, because its not healthy to bottle up so much hatred and animosity towards things that are outside of your control.  You'll live a longer, happier life if you let go of all that hate and anger.

Grow up Peter Pan.

Hater thread!

Apparently not everyone caught Brady's entire quote, which was actually IN the article... I can see how someone with an agenda would just read the first part and then lose their mind with excitement over the opportunity to lambaste him and the Patriots.

But let's revisit.

We win with graciousness, when we lose we could do better. Some teams don’t always do that or that’s not their program.”

We win with graciousness, when we lose we could do better. Some teams don’t always do that or that’s not their program.”

Someone missed that part of the quote. 

None of the scenarios the OP presented came in a winning situation. Killing teams in 2007 wasn't about sportsmanship, it was the team's reaction to the video scandal. 

This is 100% weak sauce. Brady is right, and no one on the Patriots has ever even come close to doing what Sherman did on Sunday night. It doesn't even really bother me that much. Fans talk about sportsmanship and class... we're clueless as to what these guys are really like. It's ridiculous, it's presumptuous, and it's a foolish exercise. 

Don't forget about Brady kicking up his leg last year and trying to nail Ed Reed in the you know where.

That was more of a "scared poopless please don't hurt me" reaction than an "I'm going to injure Ed Reed" reaction. Doesn't color Brady in a better light, but I don't think it was malicious, lol...