Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady's quotes when saying Pats "win with graciousness" is a complete crock.

ReMeDy

"I approach the game and I have respect for my opponents. That’s the way our team always plays... When you don’t win... You just gotta shut your mouth and listen to it."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/tom-brady-on-richard-sherman-we-win-with-graciousness/

Sigh, okay, time to whip out the evidence. For the sake of better accuracy, I'm going to dismiss issues of players not currently playing for the current Patriots team, so for example, Rodney Harrison yelling at Brian Billick on the sidelines is a no go:

1.) The Patriots in their 2007 campaign were notorious for running up the score. Brady was quoted as saying they're trying to kill people. They're trying to blow them out if they can. Audio available upon request, but here is the quote here:

http://besteversportstalk.blogspot.com/2007/11/tom-brady-were-trying-to-kill-teams.html

2.) Brady vs. Ravens. After Brady slides, he exchanges heated words with Ray Lewis:

3.) Here Tom Brady is getting in the face of Anthony Smith from the Steelers. Sorry for low quality.

4.) Brady yells at a ref after the Patriots lose against the Panthers. Brady complains all the way into the tunnel, with profanities in tow. I wonder why Brady didn't complain about the tuck rule or that pass interference call to win against Cleveland...

5.) In Superbowl 2007 after the loss to the Giants, Belichick prematurely left the field without a handshake and didn't even wait for the Patriots team. Way to respect your opponents, Bill!

6.) Vince Wilfork tries to poke a defender in the eye.

7.) In one of the wins against the Colts, the Patriots complained about stadium crowd noise being pumped in. Turned out CBS took responsibility, and it wasn't really crowd noise, so the Colts deserved no blame.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d803f1ce4/printable/cbs-takes-responsibility-for-crowd-noise-discrepancy-at-indy

8.) Few years ago on an interview with 60 Minutes, Brady when asked who throws the worst spirals in the NFL, Brady said Peyton Manning (video upon request). Really? He couldn't have picked, oh I don't know... some 2nd or 3rd string QB?

Why cant Brady and the Patriots keep their mouths shut? They do this nonstop, and I'm sick of it. Just last game, Belichick complained about Welker taking out Talib, calling it the "worst he's seen." Argh, just shut up already! This is why I'm glad the Pats aren't in the Superbowl so I don't have to add more to this list. If they want to pretend like they win with graciousness, why cant they also pretend to lose with graciousness?

And lets not forget the time Tommy ,after an open day victory over the Bills in which he didnt play well, ran off after the game pouting and refused to let Suzy Kolber do her job. ....or the time when some of his goons gunned down a couple of reporters at his wedding in South America.......stay classy Tom

Also, lets not forget how borish Bill snubbed Peyton's extended hand after the 06 Championship game....stay classy Bill :D  :D   

ha wow, every offense is trying to kill people.  That isn;t an example of poor sportsmanship or lack of class.. Nice try though.. oh let me guess, the Broncos weren't running up the score this year either right?  All those 4th quarter, up by 2-3 scores down at the 1-2 yard line and throwing passes still?  Or Manning on the Colts in 04?  nope, that was just good ole hard football!  The Pats though, those classless jerks were just running up the score on those poor helpless NFL football teams!

I wont respond to all your points because from what I gather, we have a disagreement in football philosophies. In my opinion, QB's should not be bad mouthing opposing teammates no matter what the situation is, because QB's are held to a higher standard. How many QB's do you know get into heated exchanges on the field, or bad mouth refs? You may be the type who thinks Richard Sherman's antics were acceptable. In that case, no evidence in the world will change your mind, because that's how you enjoy the sport.

I've had similar discussions like this with Patriots fans. Patriots fans generally have a hard-nosed approach to the sport of football. An "everything goes if it means winning" mentality. It's the same reason why they're fine with Underwood being cut before the Superbowl (I feel bad he had a Pats logo shaved into his head before then) or Collie being cut, signed, cut, signed, etc. since those fans value the NFL more as a business and trust Belichick so much that they will defend him no matter what.

I'm requesting no. 8

I didn't post evidence for no.8 because I'm not sure if it's alright to post a "60 Minutes" video on YouTube. It was originally taken down, and I wasn't going to risk it if no one wanted it due to YouTube's 3 strike rule. I converted it to an audio clip. I'm mistaken in that the question was "who throws the wobbliest spiral in the NFL," not the "worst," but I think it's the same thing, since a wobbly spiral is a bad spiral to begin with, so I still think Brady was out of line here.

http://www.davidjscott.com/misc/whoHasWobbliestSpiral.mp3

Talk about pulling a quote out of context. He was asked about Richard Sherman's comments about Crabtree and I am pretty sure the Pats and every other team has never acted the way he did after a loss or win. No team or player is perfect but Sherman took it to a whole other level.

Not really. I copy pasted the exact quote in my topic. "I approach the game and I have respect for my opponents. That’s the way our team always plays... When you don’t win... You just gotta shut your mouth and listen to it." The videos show that is a contradiction.

To me, Sherman and Brady are a lot alike. Sherman bad mouthed a player on the field, and Brady has done the same, yet off the field they act like perfect gentlemen. No doubt emotions on the field are at play, but the problem is Brady is a QB. Brady needs to keep his emotions in check, and while he has gotten better since 2007, he still has issues, like cussing at the ref leading into the tunnel.

I wont respond to all your points because from what I gather, we have a disagreement in football philosophies. In my opinion, QB's should not be bad mouthing opposing teammates no matter what the situation is, because QB's are held to a higher standard. How many QB's do you know get into heated exchanges on the field, or bad mouth refs? You may be the type who thinks Richard Sherman's antics were acceptable. In that case, no evidence in the world will change your mind, because that's how you enjoy the sport.

I've had similar discussions like this with Patriots fans. Patriots fans generally have a hard-nosed approach to the sport of football. An "everything goes if it means winning" mentality. It's the same reason why they're fine with Underwood being cut before the Superbowl (I feel bad he had a Pats logo shaved into his head before then) or Collie being cut, signed, cut, signed, etc. since those fans value the NFL more as a business and trust Belichick so much that they will defend him no matter what.

I didn't post evidence for no.8 because I'm not sure if it's alright to post a "60 Minutes" video on YouTube. It was originally taken down, and I wasn't going to risk it if no one wanted it due to YouTube's 3 strike rule. I converted it to an audio clip. I'm mistaken in that the question was "who throws the wobbliest spiral in the NFL," not the "worst," but I think it's the same thing, since a wobbly spiral is a bad spiral to begin with, so I still think Brady was out of line here.

http://www.davidjscott.com/misc/whoHasWobbliestSpiral.mp3

Not really. I copy pasted the exact quote in my topic. "I approach the game and I have respect for my opponents. That’s the way our team always plays... When you don’t win... You just gotta shut your mouth and listen to it." The videos show that is a contradiction.

To me, Sherman and Brady are a lot alike. Sherman bad mouthed a player on the field, and Brady has done the same, yet off the field they act like perfect gentlemen. No doubt emotions on the field are at play, but the problem is Brady is a QB. Brady needs to keep his emotions in check, and while he has gotten better since 2007, he still has issues, like cussing at the ref leading into the tunnel.

I dunno- I would check on other QBs. MacMahon could dish it out. Wouldn't surprise me Bradshaw and a host of others have also. Nor do any of us hear 90% of the talk that does go on during a game.

We all like to see this violent game and cheer on big hits (not wishing injury of course) then complain when they trash talk on the field.

Sherman apparently is quite the intellectual. As other NFL players have said..you're hyped in the game atmosphere where your job is to violently hit and then shut it down after the game and back to a normal person. Which they do. In Sherman's case he caused the INT to get Seattle to the SB and not more than "60 seconds" passed before that interview. That's not much time to shut your game mantra down.

Understanding it now I'm not upset with Sherman which I was with my first reaction. Just goes to show 1st reactions are not always right.

I was hoping to hear a cogent argument to back your claims, but instead I was treated to partisan analysis like this. As you admit, you misquoted Brady in the first place, most likely blinded by your hatred from him. But hey, we all make mistakes when we're angry.  People have noted Manning has thrown ducks for decades for years now. He's never thrown the prettiest ball, and I've heard commentators rib Peyton on the highlight reel talking about tossing up a duck. It doesn't matter if the pass wobbles when it's put in the perfect spot. I love how you say Brady slighted Peyton, yet has said that he thinks Peyton is the best ever. Care to adress that? I know you're a cantankerous partisan by all accounts, so I'm sure that you'll say that he was being disingenuous. ;)

And I'll just leave this here, because it's clear that this guy is going to cherry pick what information he presents. Instead of a cut clip, here's a full interview discussing PM:

I was hoping to hear a cogent argument to back your claims, but instead I was treated to partisan analysis like this. As you admit, you misquoted Brady in the first place, most likely blinded by your hatred from him. But hey, we all make mistakes when we're angry.  People have noted Manning has thrown ducks for decades for years now. He's never thrown the prettiest ball, and I've heard commentators rib Peyton on the highlight reel talking about tossing up a duck. It doesn't matter if the pass wobbles when it's put in the perfect spot. I love how you say Brady slighted Peyton, yet has said that he thinks Peyton is the best ever. Care to adress that? I know you're a cantankerous partisan by all accounts, so I'm sure that you'll say that he was being disingenuous. ;)

And I'll just leave this here, because it's clear that this guy is going to cherry pick what information he presents. Instead of a cut clip, here's a full interview discussing PM:

I'm just going to point out that the clip provided by ReMeDy and this interview are not the same.

People have noted Manning has thrown ducks for decades for years now. He's never thrown the prettiest ball, and I've heard commentators rib Peyton on the highlight reel talking about tossing up a duck. It doesn't matter if the pass wobbles when it's put in the perfect spot.

Yep- it's well known he does throw a wobbly ball. Perfectly place so it doesn't matter if it spirals, floats or whatever.  Taking wobble as an insult is just off base

I'm just going to point out that the clip provided by ReMeDy and this interview are not the same.

And what's your point? I'm saying that the preponderance of evidence (interviews, quotes, etc. ) points to the circumstances being the exact opposite of what that poster views them to be through his narrow prism.

And what's your point? I'm saying that the preponderance of evidence (interviews, quotes, etc. ) points to the circumstances being the exact opposite of what that poster views them to be through his narrow prism.

Well seeing as you said,

Instead of a cut clip, here's a full interview discussing PM:

You insinuated the interview you posted and the clip ReMeDy posted were the same.

Well seeing as you said,

You insinuated the interview you posted and the clip ReMeDy posted were the same.

No, I didn't. If I was to insinuate that the interviews are the same, I would have used an indefinite article instead of a definite article. Nice try though.

The point of the last 2 posts is to show that this person is choosing to present doctored, isolated incidents of Brady's thoughts on Manning instead of showing unabridges instances which contradict his assertions, which are far more numerous.

No, I didn't. If I was to insinuate that the interviews are the same, I would have used an indefinite article instead of a definite article. Nice try though.

The point of the last 2 posts is to show that this person is choosing to present doctored, isolated incidents of Brady's thoughts on Manning instead of showing unabridges instances which contradict his assertions, which are far more numerous.

I wasn't arguing that Tom has a great respect for Peyton.

Like I've stated a millions times already I respect Tom for caring about Peyton during 2011.

And if I remember correctly that interview was when Tom was young guy, and back then he wasn't the compadre with Peyton as he is now, and did say it in a disrespectful manner.

So the point ReMeDy was making still holds because the Patriots are not always gracious, and you can't try and say they are.

But truly I could care less about anything these next two weeks except watching Peyton in the Super Bowl.

I wasn't arguing that Tom has a great respect for Peyton. Like I've stated a millions times already I respect Tom for caring about Peyton during 2011. And if I remember correctly that interview was when Tom was young guy, and back then he wasn't the compadre with Peyton as he is now, and did say it in a disrespectful manner. So the point ReMeDy was making still holds because the Patriots are not always gracious, and you can't try and say they are. But truly I could care less about anything these next two weeks except watching Peyton in the Super Bowl.

1.) No team is always gracious. They are composed of human beings, and human beings are fallible. You're going to have instances where one of your 53 guys doesn't do what complies with the standard etiquette.

2.) Prove the bolded. All we have is a cut clip, with no context. He may have added a qualifier afterwards or laughed to denote that he was joking. We don't know because the OP wanted to further his agenda with doctored evidence.

More importantly, why is it disrespectful if it's true? I sat here and tried to think of a QB who throws a higher percentage of wobblers and couldn't think of one. It's a signature of his play, and like I said earlier, it's something people have noticed forever.

You can hate on NE all you want and we all have. But, Tom Brady has done nothing wrong since he has been in this league other then represent the QB position well with class and passion.

This is pure horse poop.  Brady is one of the biggest crybabies in the entire NFL, second only to Phillip Rivers.  Sally Sissy Nancy ALWAYS cries for a flag after every good defensive play against his receivers.  He gets one nine times out of ten, and every time if he's in Foxboro.  There were at least two blown calls against the Colts a couple of weeks ago that would have extended Colt drives, but you don't see Luck whining to zebras.  Contrast that with the clearly uncatchable ball that was ruled PI in favor of the pats solely due to Brady being a whiny child.  My 18 month old nephew is less of a baby than he is.

2.) Prove the bolded. All we have is a cut clip, with no context. He may have added a qualifier afterwards or laughed to denote that he was joking. We don't know because the OP wanted to further his agenda with doctored evidence.

I did not doctor anything. I've been on this forum for a long time, so I'm not going to intentionally post misleading stuff like that, unless the source was fabricated to begin with, but I trust 60 Minutes not to do that.

This is pure horse poop. Brady is one of the biggest crybabies in the entire NFL, second only to Phillip Rivers. Sally Sissy Nancy ALWAYS cries for a flag after every good defensive play against his receivers. He gets one nine times out of ten, and every time if he's in Foxboro. There were at least two blown calls against the Colts a couple of weeks ago that would have extended Colt drives, but you don't see Luck whining to zebras. Contrast that with the clearly uncatchable ball that was ruled PI in favor of the pats solely due to Brady being a whiny child. My 18 month old nephew is less of a baby than he is.

This guy gets it!!! I wish I could like this more then once