Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

o-line needs

OLD FAN MAN

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The middle of the line.  I think we are going to get one of them back in Thomas.  I think we cut Satele, we just can't justify keeping him IMO based on his salary and production.  So I do think we'll be in the market for a Center.  So that leaves the other guard spot.  In a perfect world you slide Thornton in there but frankly Thornton started more out of need than performance and struggled this year.  While I do expect him to get better I wouldn't be bothered if the Colts make a move to improve the guard spot.

At the tackles I think we are pretty solid.  GC looks like a rock at Right Tackle and AC will be in the last year of his deal so I think he gets one last shot to show us he can be the franchise left tackle we want him to be.  If he cant you let him walk and address it the year following either in the draft or free agency.  I don't think it makes sense to address his spot right now as he's been pretty good, although he struggles with speed rushers, and his contract status. 

Hopefully Donald Thomas comes back healthy, because he was stout. People that are more knowledgeable than myself liked what they saw from Khaled Holmes, so I don't necessarily believe Center is a huge need...provided they like what he does in the offseason. Thornton looked terrible at times, but then other times he looked pretty solid. He will obviously get a lot better for next year so I'm undecided on that. I would like to see Geoff Schwartz on our roster for next year. He has been solid on every team he's been on, and at every position along the line. He would be better than any guard on our roster, Thomas included, and would allow Thornton to go back to learning the game.

I know a lot of people want Alex Mack at Center, but I think some cheap, veteran depth would be more prudent. Assuming we cut Satele, I'd like to see someone like Fernando Velasco, JD Walton, or Joe Hawley, be an under the radar signing.

The middle of the line.  I think we are going to get one of them back in Thomas.  I think we cut Satele, we just can't justify keeping him IMO based on his salary and production.  So I do think we'll be in the market for a Center.  So that leaves the other guard spot.  In a perfect world you slide Thornton in there but frankly Thornton started more out of need than performance and struggled this year.  While I do expect him to get better I wouldn't be bothered if the Colts make a move to improve the guard spot.

At the tackles I think we are pretty solid.  GC looks like a rock at Right Tackle and AC will be in the last year of his deal so I think he gets one last shot to show us he can be the franchise left tackle we want him to be.  If he cant you let him walk and address it the year following either in the draft or free agency.  I don't think it makes sense to address his spot right now as he's been pretty good, although he struggles with speed rushers, and his contract status. 

I agree, mostly. I'd like to see some veteran depth at guard. Reitz performed well, but couldn't stay healthy. Signing a couple guys who can compete at guard would be good, even if we pencil Thornton in at RG.

Definitely would like to see a new center. Don't know what to do with Holmes, but I'm not comfortable handing it over to him. If we can sign one of the three name guys who will be on the market, that would be great. If not, again, veteran depth to compete with Holmes.

We're set at tackle for now. We have to decide on AC's fifth year option this offseason. It's based on the 3rd-25th highest paid OL in the league, and it's not set until just before the 2014 league year starts. Based on today's numbers and my calculations (which could very well be wrong), it should be about $6.75m for linemen, for 2015. I'd do that for AC right now, fully guaranteed. And even if he doesn't quite earn that much over the next two seasons, we'll have time to groom his replacement or do whatever we want to do with that spot.

I agree, mostly. I'd like to see some veteran depth at guard. Reitz performed well, but couldn't stay healthy. Signing a couple guys who can compete at guard would be good, even if we pencil Thornton in at RG.

Definitely would like to see a new center. Don't know what to do with Holmes, but I'm not comfortable handing it over to him. If we can sign one of the three name guys who will be on the market, that would be great. If not, again, veteran depth to compete with Holmes.

We're set at tackle for now. We have to decide on AC's fifth year option this offseason. It's based on the 3rd-25th highest paid OL in the league, and it's not set until just before the 2014 league year starts. Based on today's numbers and my calculations (which could very well be wrong), it should be about $6.75m for linemen, for 2015. I'd do that for AC right now, fully guaranteed. And even if he doesn't quite earn that much over the next two seasons, we'll have time to groom his replacement or do whatever we want to do with that spot.

I don't know if Reitz will be back.  Don't get me wrong I like him but I don't think the current coaching staff is as high on him as the fans are here probably due to the injury issues.  He's a free agent along with Link and I think both men could be on their way out of Indianapolis.  So that does open the door to bring in someone who might be compete with Thornton for that Right Guard spot.  I don't think it will be a big name free agent so I am not sure who will be out there but it could be a draft pick as well. 

Holmes is almost a complete unknown right now.  I do think it's concerning at first glance that he couldn't even be active on game days when we were starting a guy with a broken thumb at center and playing undrafted free agents on the line.  With that said maybe Grigson looks at him as needing time to develop.  Still if you don't bring back Satele (which I don't think we are going to do) you are going to need at least another body at center even if you go with Holmes. 

I think they will pick up AC's contract unless they just have a left tackle they LOVE in free agency that they think is going to be the answer for years to come.  Still I think they bring him back for his last year and then deal with the left tackle spot after next season and either extend AC or bring in someone new then. 

I don't know if Reitz will be back.  Don't get me wrong I like him but I don't think the current coaching staff is as high on him as the fans are here probably due to the injury issues.  He's a free agent along with Link and I think both men could be on their way out of Indianapolis.  So that does open the door to bring in someone who might be compete with Thornton for that Right Guard spot.  I don't think it will be a big name free agent so I am not sure who will be out there but it could be a draft pick as well. 

Holmes is almost a complete unknown right now.  I do think it's concerning at first glance that he couldn't even be active on game days when we were starting a guy with a broken thumb at center and playing undrafted free agents on the line.  With that said maybe Grigson looks at him as needing time to develop.  Still if you don't bring back Satele (which I don't think we are going to do) you are going to need at least another body at center even if you go with Holmes. 

I think they will pick up AC's contract unless they just have a left tackle they LOVE in free agency that they think is going to be the answer for years to come.  Still I think they bring him back for his last year and then deal with the left tackle spot after next season and either extend AC or bring in someone new then. 

Yeah, I'm not saying Reitz will be back. I doubt he will; same with Link. I agree with you there. That's why I'd like to see some vet depth at guard. Thomas being healthy isn't a given either. Definitely think we could use a couple of guys who can really earn a starting job at guard, not just bottom of the barrel signings. For three years now, veteran guards have signed one year deals and performed really well. I'd like to see us get a piece of the action.

Agreed on Holmes. I don't know what to say other than that. That's why I'd love to see us sign a rock at center. Holmes can be a backup and rotate at guard.

As for AC, his fifth year option would lock him down for the next two years. I hope that's what we do.

This is where the politics of football are going to come into play, IMO....

We're coming into year 3....   the interior o-line triangle of G/C/G has badly under-performed for two years.   I don't think Grigson can try and go another year trying to patch the interior line with cheap guys.   

I think he's painted into a corner where he has to invest in a quality OL -- likely a center.   I think he's got to pay someone $5-7 Mill, perhaps even $8 Mill per if the player is Mack to make a statement to Irsay and the team that he's going to (A) protect Luck at all costs and (B) re-establish a power gunning game.    That's not going to come with some $3-4 Mill guy,  I don't think...

So, next year,  our interior lineman could be Thomas at LG/FA Center in the middle/Thornton at RG....   Holmes could be a back-up...   and we'd keep one or two out of McGlynn, Reitz and Linkenback, plus add some one else off the FA market for depth.    Someone has to be a quality 3rd tackle, I maybe forgetting someone that we already have?

I just don't think Grigson has a choice anymore.   If our 2014 offense looks a lot like the 2013 offense that has struggled and we still have Satele in the middle and an under-achiever at guard,  then I think Grigson risks some push back on a variety of levels.

He has to step up this off-season.    I'm not sure he has much of a choice....

Again,  just my gut instincts, and unfortunately, I have quite the gut!

We're coming into year 3....   the interior o-line triangle of G/C/G has badly under-performed for two years.   I don't think Grigson can try and go another year trying to patch the interior line with cheap guys.   

I think he's painted into a corner where he has to invest in a quality OL -- likely a center.   I think he's got to pay someone $5-7 Mill, perhaps even $8 Mill per if the player is Mack to make a statement to Irsay and the team that he's going to (A) protect Luck at all costs and (B) re-establish a power gunning game.    That's not going to come with some $3-4 Mill guy,  I don't think...

So, next year,  our interior lineman could be Thomas at LG/FA Center in the middle/Thornton at RG....   Holmes could be a back-up...   and we'd keep one or two out of McGlynn, Reitz and Linkenback, plus add some one else off the FA market for depth.    Someone has to be a quality 3rd tackle, I maybe forgetting someone that we already have?

I just don't think Grigson has a choice anymore.   If our 2014 offense looks a lot like the 2013 offense that has struggled and we still have Satele in the middle and an under-achiever at guard,  then I think Grigson risks some push back on a variety of levels.

I think you hit the nail on the head there...

It's put up or shut up time for Grigs with the O-line.

If the offense finds it's potential, the D will not be under so much pressure and Luck is going to show us so much more if he is free to execute and not have to hurry, a viable run game will free up the O so much.

Not saying the D doesn’t need improvement too, fix the O-line and my bet the D can hold it's own.

I'll be betting on Luck in a shootout, the Kid's got IT!

*see bolded: Is that a Freudian Slip or just a typo?

Im projecting the 2014 starting O Line to be:

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas(if healthy)

C- De La Puente

RG-Thornton

RT-Cherilous

Preferably however I'd like

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas(if healthy)

C-De La Puente

RG-Chad Rinehart/Willie Colon/Travelle Wharton/Gabe Jackson (if any are healthy by that time, Rinehart got injured vs Patriots I believe and Colone got injured in the last game of the season. I either want competition for Thornton with Jackson or a veteran solid Guard

RT-Cherilous

So basically we need everything but a RT. Same can say Castanzo improved this season, but I beg to differ. Can't handle one on ones which a LT is suppose to do. In all I won't comment on the other guys. We do however need to keep some of them if we're going to run a power oline

So basically we need everything but a RT. Same can say Castanzo improved this season, but I beg to differ. Can't handle one on ones which a LT is suppose to do. In all I won't comment on the other guys. We do however need to keep some of them if we're going to run a power oline

You can beg to differ on Castanzo all you want, thats your opinion...you're wrong...but hey, it's your opinion so you're entitled to it. 

Definitely need a new Center.

I can honestly say that we don't need anything more than that, assuming Thomas comes back healthy at Thornton is the day one starter at RG.

With time, both of those guys will grow into their roles, but Satele has to go. We have seen him for 2 years and he has not impressed anyone.

Free Agents:

C: Alex Mack (I doubt the Browns let him go or the Colts will pay him the money he will demand), Evan Dietrich-Smith or Brian De la Puente

OG: Geoff Schwartz or Jon Asamoah. Chiefs will probably keep one of them, Asamoah is good and underrated

Draft:

Its not popular but I would give up our 2015 first rounder in exchange for an early 2nd rounder and a 4th round pick and draft with one of our 2nd rounders an OG like Cyril Richardson, Zack Martin or Gabe Jackson IF AVAILABLE and a CB with the other to replace Toler

My dream Offensive Line for 2015 would be: Castonzo - Thomas - Mack - Asamoah - Cherilus with Cyril Richardson (can play LT and LG), Holmes and Thornton backing them up. I could see Richardson getting one of the starting spots soon then.

I really think we might have pieces already. If Holmes can play center or even McGlynn. Ac, Thomas, McGlynn, Thorton, Cherilus . If Thorton continues to improve and McGlynn plays like we have seen him play at center that line is probably top 12. This way we don't break the bank and pick up some great defensive players.

a lot of posters say we should upgrade the center position,it seems like a lot of people have been down on satele all year, imo the last several games he played good, some positive things I saw from him , he is pretty good at snapping the ball, no bad snaps, etc, he was pass blocking better, and on running plays he was pulling and getting out and taking out lbs for good blocks, does anyone think if we tweaked our run system and upgrade at guard , that he would be good enough? luck has taken snaps from him awhile and the two seem to be on the same page. do we want to risk bad snaps and fumbles with a new center?

a lot of posters say we should upgrade the center position,it seems like a lot of people have been down on satele all year, imo the last several games he played good, some positive things I saw from him , he is pretty good at snapping the ball, no bad snaps, etc, he was pass blocking better, and on running plays he was pulling and getting out and taking out lbs for good blocks, does anyone think if we tweaked our run system and upgrade at guard , that he would be good enough? luck has taken snaps from him awhile and the two seem to be on the same page. do we want to risk bad snaps and fumbles with a new center?

no. Satele is horrible

drAft used defence and wr,s  this year , good fA o,linemen out their way better then are center and rg.

I'm with the general consensus on here and think we need a Centre and possibly guard. I think the Browns will resign Mack as they have plenty of money to play with but I think if we're serious we can make a good play for De La Puente as the Saints have cap issues. I think Thornton has potential and looked good in some games but I think we need a good insurance policy if he doesn't progress or Thomas struggles after his injury.

have worst center and right guard need high fa center  and med too high right guard. want protect luck and pwer running football. 1.3 million rg not play pwer running . he rank lowest fa in the list of fa in 2014.

Holmes is a big concern. Hoping he isn't bust. Yes he hardly played but considering how much we struggled in the OL, that alone is a concern.

Was thinking on this. In most cases doesn't the center play an important part in calling the line protection or something like that? Maybe it isn't Holmes physically not being ready to play or just plain bad but maybe he wasn't ready technically? Just a thought

I think both the tackles played well this year Not that they were never beat but they were very solid. I thought AC improved a lot this year seemed stronger! Center is a mess I know everyone wants a big name don't think we will get one but that would be fine! I think we will sign McGyenn & make him a center for 2 reasons 1 Grigson loves him, 2 he plays it well & is pretty durable. Holmes who knows, seeing he didn't play much hard to tell, and he must not be ready. For some reason I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the guy! RG is probable Thornton he had his ups & downs but that's how you learn by playing I think he will be better, I would draft or bring in a guy hear or another Center. ILG Thomas if healthy that's a no brainier, I would bring back Reitz, IMO he is better then Link & can play 4 positions as well as Link but I think better.

Was thinking on this. In most cases doesn't the center play an important part in calling the line protection or something like that? Maybe it isn't Holmes physically not being ready to play or just plain bad but maybe he wasn't ready technically? Just a thought

The knock on him coming out is he is not that strong more of a position guy not a power guy. He lacks core strength. He is suppose to be VERY SMART. Thats his strong suit.

The knock on him coming out is he is not that strong more of a position guy not a power guy. He lacks core strength. He is suppose to be VERY SMART. Thats his strong suit.

And I'm not even sure this is true. I think most people base this on a injured Holmes getting pushed around by Star Lotueleli in college and his low number of reps on the bench press at the combine.....even though he was forced to stop thanks to injured pec.

And I'm not even sure this is true. I think most people base this on a injured Holmes getting pushed around by Star Lotueleli in college and his low number of reps on the bench press at the combine.....even though he was forced to stop thanks to injured pec.

Yeah, but let's not bother with all those silly facts. They just get in the way of the preferred sensationalism.