Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

freeney vs mathis

CR91

Nope. Maybe a better OLB, but Freeney was always the better DE.

That's what I was going to type until I read yours.  I completely agree.  Mathis/Freeney was a good tandem at DE, with Freeney taking the lead but he wasn't cut out for OLB.  It seems like Mathis was; he's more natural at that position. 

One has to wonder if Mathis would be as good as he is today if he hadn't "grown up" in the NFL playing with and learning from Freeney.  

I think it's Mathis he has proven himself in two different style defenses and I would say the strip sack is more effective than freeneys spin move !! Simply because it changes the game with turnovers !!

Both Freeney and Mathis are masters of the strip-sack.

Why Mathis held his own at DE and is having a fantastic season at OLB Freeney was a great DE and struggled horribly at OLB better overal player looks to be Mathis

Freeney was also not completely healthy last year.  He was playing rather well at OLB this season for the chargers before he got hurt.

Mathis is relentless. He has had to work for everything he`s accomplished along the way. Freeney was more of a natural athlete, like it came easy for him. Guess that's why I`d pick Mathis over Freeney though both have been a pleasure to watch on Sundays

Edited by Superman
formatting

Freeny overrated. Mathis is a beast.

Freeney was not much of an impact player.  He got his sacks via Mathis at the other end.

I look at these two comments and can only shake my head.  How as a colts fan you can call Freeney overrated is beyond me, or that he wasn't an impact player.  Freeney in his prime was who the other team game-planned against.  Freeney's spin move was a thing of beauty and his speed and athleticism were phenomenal.  As for impact please see my previous statement.

I can only hope that either you two are trying to be contrarian or have been under a rock for awhile because both of the two quoted statements are completely false.   :facepalm:

I look at these two comments and can only shake my head.  How as a colts fan you can call Freeney overrated is beyond me, or that he wasn't an impact player.  Freeney in his prime was who the other team game-planned against.  Freeney's spin move was a thing of beauty and his speed and athleticism were phenomenal.  As for impact please see my previous statement.

I can only hope that either you two are trying to be contrarian or have been under a rock for awhile because both of the two quoted statements are completely false.   :facepalm:

Lol, that spin move. Scary stuff for the QB right there

Has Mathis with a possible dpoy season put himself ahead of freeney

Why can't we like them both and appreciate what they are doing/have done for the Colts? Why does one have to be ahead of the other? And tell me, what are the standards that everyone has agreed upon to measure this "whose better" question?