Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today is playoff blackout deadline

chad72

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they blackout playoff games? Let's say the Super Bowl doesn't sell out due to weather(*which is a possiblity*), it won't be blocked out. I think since this is the playoffs, games don't get blocked out. I'm in Florida btw.

Do they blackout playoff games? Let's say the Super Bowl doesn't sell out due to weather(*which is a possiblity*), it won't be blocked out. I think since this is the playoffs, games don't get blocked out. I'm in Florida btw.

yes, playoff games can be blacked out. The superbowl isn't a home game for either team, so that would not be blacked out. But superbowl tickets always sell out anyway

honestly i don't think the blackout rules should apply to playoff games. and there is NO WAY IN HELL the superbowl would be blacked out. the incredble cash involved, not to mention it is played on a neutral field

Yes, they back them out.

If the SB ever fails to sell out, it would have to be post apocalyptic. But given your scenario, I don't think they'd black it out since neither team is really "home".

I always wonder why the networks don't step in and buy up the tickets. They can't sell ads if the game isn't on in that market.

That's usually part of the solution. But I doubt any local network would want to buy 3-4k playoff tickets. That's a pretty hefty investment.

I'm in Fort Wayne also. No way it gets blacked out on Saturday.

May not get blacked out for you but in the radius closer it could be if all the tickets are not sold. Mr Irsay should just buy the rest of the tickets so this doesn't happen. It's not like he doesn't have the $$$$$

That's usually part of the solution. But I doubt any local network would want to buy 3-4k playoff tickets. That's a pretty hefty investment.

I would think they'd weigh it against how much they'd lose in ad revenue. I really don't know how much the local affiliates get for ad time. Just guessing it would be worth it.

I would think they'd weigh it against how much they'd lose in ad revenue. I really don't know how much the local affiliates get for ad time. Just guessing it would be worth it.

It would be local affiliates, not national networks. I don't know how much local affiliates make from advertisers, but if they bought 3,000 tickets at $100 apiece, that's $300k. Steep price tag.

"The NFL defines a team's market area as "local" if it is within a 75-mile radius of the team's home stadium. Therefore, a blackout affects any market where the terrestrial broadcast signal of an affiliate station, under normal conditions, penetrates into the 75-mile radius."

According to the policy I dont think we would be blacked out in Fort Wayne but Im not sure if we fall into the terrestrial market conditons (i dont even know what they mean by this to be honest). The quote came from Yahoo btw.

If the game gets blacked-out in Indy it will be out in Fort Wayne as well.  The Colts are considered to be our "local" team.  That is why the Colts are on in Fort Wayne area every time they play. 

Having said that I don't believe the game will be blacked-out at all.

If the game gets blacked-out in Indy it will be out in Fort Wayne as well.  The Colts are considered to be our "local" team.  That is why the Colts are on in Fort Wayne area every time they play. 

Having said that I don't believe the game will be blacked-out at all.

but if you read the black out rule it says 75 mile radius fort Wayne is 125 miles but I believe they will sell out by tomorrow

but if you read the black out rule it says 75 mile radius fort Wayne is 125 miles but I believe they will sell out by tomorrow

Apparently you guys missed this earlier. It will be blacked out in Fort Wayne if it's not a sellout.

NBC affiliate relations tells WISE TV Colts-Kansas City game Saturday will be blacked out in Fort Wayne without a sellout

Apparently you guys missed this earlier. It will be blacked out in Fort Wayne if it's not a sellout.

NBC affiliate relations tells WISE TV Colts-Kansas City game Saturday will be blacked out in Fort Wayne without a sellout

I have high hopes this will be a sold out game if we have an extension until tomorrow.

Does anyone have a clue why this game hasn't sold out quickly? Christmas, new year, economy, no spending money until tax refund time?

At some point the NFL is going to have to realize that TV is king and no one wants to pay the ridiculous prices for nosebleed seats to watch the games on the jumbo tron. I think the playoff ticket purchase requirements for season ticket holders are ridiculous (have to buy all seats to all 3 games in advance).

They should set the blackout requirements at something like a minimum of 40,000 seats must be sold (not the 75% rule nonsense either).

It would be local affiliates, not national networks. I don't know how much local affiliates make from advertisers, but if they bought 3,000 tickets at $100 apiece, that's $300k. Steep price tag.

add to that the NFL has a rule you can't cut a deal on playoff tickets like selling the for .38 cents to the dollar per ticket like they can for the regular season. So it will have to get to the point the station can still turn a profit on the ads they sell after eating the ticket cost and that profit would have to be higher than what they would get for airing ads in whatever they would air in the colts place.

This has just been a bad combination of the NFL trying to suck every penny out of people and poor timing. The Pacers and Hoosiers both have home games that day and fans would have those tickets for a while now.  They are not going to give up those tickets and pay even more for the playoff game. 

Hopefully someone will step in at the last moment and pick up the rest because it would be really embarrassing for this city to have the playoff game blacked out. Would not help the idea that Indianapolis is a fair weather city.

I have high hopes this will be a sold out game if we have an extension until tomorrow.

Does anyone have a clue why this game hasn't sold out quickly? Christmas, new year, economy, no spending money until tax refund time?

I think the theory is that at the time that season ticket holders had to make payment for the playoff tickets, the team was playing very poorly.  The team requires season ticket holders to purchase the 2 highest priced games - the divisional round and the championship game.  They then refund the money for any games that aren't played to next year's season tickets.  Any team in the running to win its division will send invoices out and ask for payment.  The Lions even mailed the tickets out after team was eliminated from the playoffs!  Since the season ticket holders own most of the inventory, them backing out leaves an excess of tickets for a team to hurry and sell.  Teams don't usually find out when, where, and what time they will be playing and then there is a scramble to try to hurry and sell the tickets.  The same thing happened to the Packers.  Rodgers went down when the invoices came out. 

I am a season ticket holder and I debated about purchasing the tickets.  I waited until the last day before I went ahead and bought them.  I bought my 3 seats even though I knew my wife wouldn't be going and I really don't want to take my 4 year old so I'm pretty much stuck with 2 tickets that I can't sell because the Colts still have inventory. 

I think it will sell out, tickets are flying fast from stubhub only 3000 for sale there there was 5000 2 days ago.

I could be wrong, but I believe tickets on StubHub are being resold. They've already been sold as far as the team is concerned. I don't think they count in the blackout equation.

No doubt the economy and the upcoming snow storm (which some are using the "B" word) are hindering sales. Who wants to drop hundreds of dollars on tickets when 12-15 inches of snow is coming along with -0 temps. That's why I'm going to be home in front of the fireplace, where I belong.

I think it will sell out, tickets are flying fast from stubhub only 3000 for sale there there was 5000 2 days ago.

That must mean that either the tickets the team has left are not very good seats or they are in the club section which are too expensive. 

According to the Colts Home Page the team was given another extension until 4:35 Friday and they have less than 3500 tickets left. If I read the article correctly.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Playoff-Ticket-Update-NFL-Grants-2nd-Extension-of-Local-TV-Blackout-Rule/3922575b-9bbe-441d-8310-1263f83d05c5

Kravitz said 3086 left at 2:30

This is quite sad that 3 playoff teams can't sell tickets to keep from having a blackout.

But not surprising considering people getting stabbed in parking lots just because you wear a different jersey, or that weather can be a factor, and the price is too much.

I think a big part of it is Indiana is still and always will be a basketball town first, All things being equal...Colts winning......Pacers winning.....Game on same day then Pacers win out, The prices hurt to, someone can get excellent seats for $150.00 bucks for Pacers game