Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today is playoff blackout deadline

chad72

The Colts came to Indianapolis because the state legislature decided they wished to use eminent domain against the Irsays .

The Colts were'nt enticed they were unappreciated & about to be forcibly taken by the state .

The blackout rule is 50 years old created when ticket prices were low but were the main source of income for teams so it made sense in those times it nolonger does & the FCC will change it I believe .

the blackout rule -- enacted before the Internet and even (gasp!) ESPN -- is an anachronism that's hammering consumers.

The NFL insists that the rule "is essential to promoting live attendance and thus improve the stadium experience." But in February 2013, five U.S. senators wrote this letter to Federal Communications Commission Secretary Marlene Dortch, calling the rule a "relic of a different time." They also pointed out that in this economy, rising ticket prices "have made attending a football game an unaffordable luxury for many fans."

And recently, FCC commissioner Robert McDowell issued a statement saying: "We live in a world with not only local broadcast stations, but also cable, satellite, the Internet and wireless, and where television and mercheadizing revenues exceed ticket sales. It is appropriate for us to re-examine the rule in light of marketplace changes."

good spin, but you are leaving out a lot of things. the colts wanted to leave because the city wouldn't build them a new stadium and started shopping the team. you don't think indy enticed them to choose them? they guaranteed attendance for one. the politicians knew they were going to lose the team and were going to use eminent domain. that made them move fast with the help of indy getting the moving co on short notice.

why do you think govt should get involved in a private contract between the nfl and tv stations? you act like people have a right to watch their football team.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of that is true but, I really don't think the government should get involved in any of this

Let the free market work.........it's worked for the NFL up till now........and if it's not working.....they should change

it's their business, let them handle it

I think our politicians have more important things that the should be doing anyway

thank you, well said!

I agree & this is why IMO the Colts biggest fan Jim Irsay ..  I believe he picks up whats left . 34 cents on the dollar .

Tickets in premium club sections and luxury suites have been excluded from the blackout rule (indeed modern NFL stadiums have reduced general seating in favor of club seating and luxury suites, as this makes it easier to sell out the stadium and avoid blackouts, and this revenue does not have to be shared with other franchises), as have unused tickets allocated to the visiting team. Alternatively, some NFL teams have arrangements with local television stations or businesses to purchase unsold tickets. Teams themselves are allowed to purchase remaining non-premium tickets at 34 cents on the dollar (the portion subject to revenue sharing) to prevent a blackout.[3][4]

you must be a politician. good spin again, leaving out key parts. the colts opted out of the REGULAR SEASON option you posted. so this doesn't even apply to the regular season for the colts, bills, browns, and chargers who did the same.

I don't know about the Bengals but I have a hard time thinking the Packers opted into that. If I recall there is a fee you have to pay or something if you took the 85% rule to the point that if you were a team who regularly sold out it made no sense to opt into it.

Only four teams opted out. Colts, Chargers, Browns, and Bills.

Hey citizens of Indianapolis................what kind of people are you!!??

At least the Packers fans can say it will subzero on game day!!

FOR SALE: 100,000 portable radios and if you act right now we will include a free No.2 pencil for you to keep score with while the game is being shown to all parts of the world........ except Indy.

Those GB tickets went on sale well before they knew it was going to be brutally cold. They have no more excuses than Indy.

And the only team to sell out quickly was Philly...where season ticket holders are required to buy playoff tickers.

Hey citizens of Indianapolis................what kind of people are you!!??

At least the Packers fans can say it will subzero on game day!!

FOR SALE: 100,000 portable radios and if you act right now we will include a free No.2 pencil for you to keep score with while the game is being shown to all parts of the world........ except Indy.

what section are your seats in?

where did you see that? i never heard of being required to buy playoff games.

The Eagles’ new playoff-ticket policy was likely the reason. This season they instituted a pay as they play program — if season ticket holders wanted playoff tickets, they gave their credit card number in November but it would only be charged once it was determined the Eagles had a home game. Almost all the Eagles’ season-ticket holders then bought playoff tickets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-playoff-ticket-rush-article-1.1565099

where did you see that? i never heard of being required to buy playoff games.

That's what they said on ESPN radio this morning. If teams can makes people pay a license fee just for the right to purchase a season ticket I'm sure they can require them to purchase a playoff ticket.

*just saw above post by horsefly

And the only team to sell out quickly was Philly...where season ticket holders are required to buy playoff tickers.

The Eagles’ new playoff-ticket policy was likely the reason. This season they instituted a pay as they play program — if season ticket holders wanted playoff tickets, they gave their credit card number in November but it would only be charged once it was determined the Eagles had a home game. Almost all the Eagles’ season-ticket holders then bought playoff tickets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-playoff-ticket-rush-article-1.1565099

this doesn't say they are required to buy them.

they still have the choice to purchase possible playoff tickets. no one is being charged if there wasn't a game. i don't see a big deal about this policy.

this doesn't say they are required to buy them.

they still have the choice to purchase possible playoff tickets. no one is being charged if there wasn't a game. i don't see a big deal about this policy.

It's not a big deal, but I guarantee that it makes it easier to sell tickets. Pretty smart of the Eagles. But being in a market the size of Philly, I doubt they would have had much problem selling out anyway.

sports bars absolutely suck to watch a game with no volume and/or another games audio.

the same can be said to anyone that is blacked out. why not drive to a bar that is outside the blackout area? it's only one game, not most of the year.

You're ridiculous. I'm done arguing with you. You have no right to complain about Colts blackouts.

You're ridiculous. I'm done arguing with you. You have no right to complain about Colts blackouts.

you are delusional, i never complained about blackouts.

quite the opposite. i was defending the nfl's free market right to set the terms for it's product.

you are delusional, i never complained about blackouts.

quite the opposite. i was defending the nfl's free market right to set the terms for it's product.

Ah. It's cool man I didn't mean it as a bad thing. We just have different fundamental views on things.