Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tarkenton says "I'm the greatest ever..."

Indygal1218

He was pretty dang good...

But what do any of you really expect him to say?    Fran was REALLY GOOD.  In a NON passing NFL.

I saw him play including those SBs. Yes he was that good. It was really his scrambling that made it happen. I once saw him scramble across the field, then cross to the other side, and then back again to throw the pass, complete.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he was the first QB to call ALL his own plays.

He's not even the best of his era. I would take Staubach, Stabler, Bradshaw, Hart and Anderson over him in a minute. He was not well liked by his teammates. In the modern era with its bigger press presence and increased pressure to win big games, his legacy would be very different. 

I took JEFF GEORGE to the Super Bowl and won it!

Now THAT'S impressive! The Colts and Patriots were both god awful in that game. Bonus points for the Patriots having bright pink uniforms. Your Saints weren't too bad, though.

On the subject of Tarkenton, there's a difference between confidence and being an arrogant, delusional jackwagon.

He really was a GREAT qb. I don't mind him saying that. He held tons of records for a long time. Sure I think Marino and Unitas are tops with Peyton and Tom close behind but I'm no more credible on the subject than him...so why not? It isn't like we are talking about Matt Schaub or Boomer Eisiason...were talking Fran the man....he is legand whether any of you know about him or not.

He really was a GREAT qb. I don't mind him saying that. He held tons of records for a long time. Sure I think Marino and Unitas are tops with Peyton and Tom close behind but I'm no more credible on the subject than him...so why not? It isn't like we are talking about Matt Schaub or Boomer Eisiason...were talking Fran the man....he is legand whether any of you know about him or not.

It is like Jim Kelly who is often forgotten too but was an awesome QB but overshadowed by Marino, Elway, Montana. When you lose four SBs, it is hard for people not to view you as a loser. Fran says as much in the article - that the SB losses still burn him.

He said,  "I feel like" and "in my mind" (he's the best ever) Well Sir Francis, I feel like I am better than you and in my mind I am better than you and heck, I never played the position and we have something in common, our super bowl rings look exactly alike (where did I put that thing).

Fran was an awesome QB. And he should be mentioned in the conversation. But someone other than him should be doing it. 

There's really no way to quantify who really was the GOAT, but great ones want to be in the conversation. Kinda like Bonham vs. Peart (you rock fans and drummers know what I'm getting at), or how Luck always says, "maybe one day I can be mentioned in the same sentence as Peyton". 

He was definitely Howard Cosell's favorite QB. Cosell doing the highlights on Monday Night Football, of Francis Tarkenton scrambling and throwing a touchdown was one of the major reasons I and many others fell in love with football as kids. Tarkenton was the first to break Unitas passing yardage record. That was a very big deal and many of us, myself included, was mad about that, but still, he was truly great. I don't see Staubach or Bradshaw being as good as him. They had waaaay better teams than Tarkenton.

Tarkenton is seriously underrated in discussions of the all-time greats.  I definitely shy away from calling him the best but, hell, if I achieved that level of success at the pinnacle of my sport I'd probably tend to have the same self-evaluation.  Best of all time is an opinion, not a fact, and he's stated his quite clearly.

He's not even the best of his era. I would take Staubach, Stabler, Bradshaw, Hart and Anderson over him in a minute. He was not well liked by his teammates. In the modern era with its bigger press presence and increased pressure to win big games, his legacy would be very different. 

Hart and Bradshaw weren't even close to those other guys.  Bradhsaw absolutely got the job done when it counted but he really wasn't a fantastic passer by any stretch of the imagination.

It is like Jim Kelly who is often forgotten too but was an awesome QB but overshadowed by Marino, Elway, Montana. When you lose four SBs, it is hard for people not to view you as a loser. Fran says as much in the article - that the SB losses still burn him.

Four 'one and dones' in the Super Bowl and you think he's awesome? Had a bang on the head or something?

Four 'one and dones' in the Super Bowl and you think he's awesome? Had a bang on the head or something?

Huge fan of Jim Kelly. Pretty impressive career if you look up his stats. He ran into the power houses of the NFC before the cap/FA era. Such is life. No AFC teams were wining SBs in the 80's into the mid 90's.