Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson's Take on His Performance So Far

HtownColt

Glad to see some Donald Brown in this thread....

The same Donald Brown that many here on Colts.com and some in this very thread wanted off our roster because he SUCKS!!

Except,  he doesn't.    And now everyone LOVES Donald Brown.

At some point, perhaps the same will happen for Trent Richardson.  

I, for one, will not be surprised.....

NCF...

There is a parallel there....

Trent is where Donald Brown was the last couple of years..

I'd bet Brown is quietly telling him that.....

Brown knows exactly how Trent feels because he waS Trent

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not frustrated at all because I think I’ve been playing good,” Richardson said. “If you turn on the film, I don’t have any missed assignments. I haven’t had any missed reads. I’ve been playing good. Stuff just hasn’t matched up like we thought it would when I’m in there. I think teams match up differently when I come in.

:funny: seriously Trent who do ya think your fooling buddy? if you really believe what you say then your likely not studying the playbook much

Running backs coach said the same thing about Trent last week or two weeks ago

The same Donald Brown that many here on Colts.com and some in this very thread wanted off our roster because he SUCKS!!

agreed but in the mean time, nothing wrong with calling Richardsons play what it has been..Bad.......I would like to believe it gets better but after reading them quotes he is either 1 of 3 things in my opinion of course and none of which are good or possibly all 3

1.In complete denial about his play

2.Trying to pull one over on the fans to keep those fans that buy what he says at face value who dont watch film (All 22)

3.Not studying the playbook and truthfully believes what he says.......Not likely in my opinion but if he does then its safe to say his production wont go up soon

Clearly #1 is true and I also think #2 as well..........if #3 is true then I'd like to get a late round draft pick for him come next year because at this point thats all he is worth

Taking no blame. 

Blame for what?  They have a winning record with him playing.  The running game is doing good enough.  Obviously our offensive line isn't good at all.  Andrew Luck is still one of the QBs that gets sacked the most.  As far as I'm concerned, they are still winning with him, whether he's making a great block and catching a screen pass for the first down, he's contributing in his own way.  Once he and the o line gel together things will look up for him.

You must be trolling.

Blame for what?  They have a winning record with him playing.  The running game is doing good enough.  Obviously our offensive line isn't good at all.  Andrew Luck is still one of the QBs that gets sacked the most.  As far as I'm concerned, they are still winning with him, whether he's making a great block and catching a screen pass for the first down, he's contributing in his own way.  Once he and the o line gel together things will look up for him.

You must be trolling.

"You must be trolling."

Seriously dude? The only reason our running game is good enough is because Brown is picking up the slack for Richardsons poor play

it's interesting how DB sucked his first 4 years with the colts and now that TRich is on the team, DB is having a (well overdue) breakout season..

coincidence? i don't think so ;) 

I think Trent is just repeating what his RBs coach is telling him when watching tape. I don't think he is delusional at all, just towing the company line and remaining positive. I think he will at least become an awesome blocker when all is said and done because of his strength and he has really good hands catching the ball, maybe his best attribute.

Don't paint everyone with the same brush. Some of us have been defending him for years.....

"You must be trolling."

Seriously dude? The only reason our running game is good enough is because Brown is picking up the slack for Richardsons poor play

Seriously dude?

It took Brown how long to produce like this?  Has it been 7 games in one season?  No, it's been almost 70-80 games.  Just go and think about that.  Trent doesn't deserve any blame for sucking just yet.  You guys can't expect excellence so quickly, that's just a ridiculous turnaround.  Give the guy an offseason please.  They got Trent to build a monster for now and for the future, remember that.

To be fair up until this season he has been a disappointment for this team. It is great that he is finally putting it together because god I cannot imagine where we would be if he was playing like he usually does.  The hate on DB may have gone a bit to far, but lets not act like he has been doing this his entire time here because if he was then we would still have a first round pick and TRich would be the Browns problem.

I really hope that TRich uses this offseason to get better because we cannot continue to what we are doing because it is no different then the Peyton era where we relied on a QB to save the day every game.  Hopefully this offseason we can get it right and TRich can be worth that first round pick next season.

Taking no blame. 

He doesn't need to....when the line learns to block and open holes for a power style game he will explode...DB is a different runner, slashing/cutiing.  he has to do it himself... if he was the main back they would scheme to shut him down too.  The Oline is the issue, for running abcks and for Luck.

Seriously dude?

It took Brown how long to produce like this?  Has it been 7 games in one season?  No, it's been almost 70-80 games.  Just go and think about that.  Trent doesn't deserve any blame for sucking just yet.  You guys can't expect excellence so quickly, that's just a ridiculous turnaround.  Give the guy an offseason please.  They got Trent to build a monster for now and for the future, remember that.

Injuries were the biggest part in Brown not being able to produce like this.......His lowest ypc season came his rookie year at 3.6. of course Trent deserves some blame, He has missed some holes, The ALL 22 shows that and Marshall Faulk broke that down, Does he deserve all the blame? Of course not....I never expected excellence, I'd settle for average at this point, Im giving him an offseason but in the meantime I call it like I see it....But you have to admit him not taking ANY accountability for his ypc is not a good thing, He even went as far as to say he has not missed any reads

Seriously dude?

At this point, I would be happy if TRich was doing as well as DB's worst season (his rookie season) when he averaged 3.6 per carry and 15.0 yds per reception.

TRich lacks the speed and burst to succeed at this level. He was bad in Cleveland too when he had a pretty good Oline. I think it's pathetic he takes no blame for his horrible play. It's not like it is his fault when he runs straight to a guy laying on the ground so he can get tackled, not his fault at all. Not his fault he runs like he's waiting to get hit, nope, no way. 

He doesn't need to....when the line learns to block and open holes for a power style game he will explode...DB is a different runner, slashing/cutiing.  he has to do it himself... if he was the main back they would scheme to shut him down too.  The Oline is the issue, for running abcks and for Luck.

Bdown was the primary back lastgame.

Why be critical of what he said? What exactly was he expected to say in this instance? Is he supposed to say he sucks? I don't see anything wrong with what he said, and I definitely don't think he was in any way deflecting the blame for his low YPC. He didn't throw the OL under the bus and instead had an overall positive outlook on his role in the offense and was supportive of Luck and Brown. I am sure he understands there is plenty of room for improvement, but that doesn't mean that he needs to trash his own play when speaking to the public.

Why be critical of what he said? What exactly was he expected to say in this instance? Is he supposed to say he sucks? I don't see anything wrong with what he said, and I definitely don't think he was in any way deflecting the blame for his low YPC. He didn't throw the OL under the bus and instead had an overall positive outlook on his role in the offense and was supportive of Luck and Brown. I am sure he understands there is plenty of room for improvement, but that doesn't mean that he needs to trash his own play when speaking to the public.

Exactly! Well said!

It's alright that Trent still has the confidence to say he's playing good, but unless your blind and mentally slow, then it's obvious that he has just sucked. I still hope that he gets things turned around and becomes at least somewhat serviceable, but as of right now he's been a complete and total waste.

Does anyone here think that the Colts wouldn't be 7-3 if they never made this trade?  Doesn't it seem like a pointless trade now to give up a treasured first round pick?

I've been saying this since the minute it was announced. It's always stupid to give up a 1st rder. for a RB.

Does anyone here think that the Colts wouldn't be 7-3 if they never made this trade? Doesn't it seem like a pointless trade now to give up a treasured first round pick?

Not sure we beat the Seahawks or the Texans without his contributions. I think we'd be much closer to .500 without him.

it's interesting how DB sucked his first 4 years with the colts and now that TRich is on the team, DB is having a (well overdue) breakout season..

coincidence? i don't think so ;)

Some might say Brown is now doing so well because he's in the last year of his contract.

In other words,  he's playing great so he can get a very good 2nd contract.    This happens a LOT in sports, not just football.  It happens in baseball, basketball and hockey too....

Players get extra motivated to get that next contract.

That said,  this is more than I think anyone here thought Brown could do week in and week out....

It is true that we are winning, but trent so far has had no part of it. In fact he might even be holding us back. I do hope he gets better next season with a full offseason under his belt but so far, he's only been a hindrance.

Trent has scored a few tds and made key blocks.

agreed but in the mean time, nothing wrong with calling Richardsons play what it has been..Bad.......I would like to believe it gets better but after reading them quotes he is either 1 of 3 things in my opinion of course and none of which are good or possibly all 3

1.In complete denial about his play

2.Trying to pull one over on the fans to keep those fans that buy what he says at face value who dont watch film (All 22)

3.Not studying the playbook and truthfully believes what he says.......Not likely in my opinion but if he does then its safe to say his production wont go up soon

Clearly #1 is true and I also think #2 as well..........if #3 is true then I'd like to get a late round draft pick for him come next year because at this point thats all he is worth

I'd like to offer you another scenario that I think is completely realistic and even likely...

I think Trent is trying not to rock the boat and take a low profile.

I think he's trying not to stir things up. 

I don't think he wants to throw either teammates or coaches under the bus.   I think he's trying to downplay the way things are so the subject will get dropped and it won't become as much of an issue.   Maybe it's the wrong approach,  but that's my guess here and I think it's the right way.   

Now perhaps he needs to throw in a few "I'm working hard but I know I can do better" type of quotes,  but, as I said, I think he's trying to downplay things so the issue doesn't boil over and become any more of a distraction than it is....

Just some food for thought....

I'd like to offer you another scenario that I think is completely realistic and even likely...

I don't think he wants to throw either teammates or coaches under the bus.   I think he's trying to downplay the way things are so the subject will get dropped and it won't become as much of an issue.   Maybe it's the wrong approach,  but that's my guess here and I think it's the right way.   

Now perhaps he needs to throw in a few "I'm working hard but I know I can do better" type of quotes,  but, as I said, I think he's trying to downplay things so the issue doesn't boil over and become any more of a distraction than it is....

pretty much...

less is more sometimes...

I'm having trouble excepting that explanation. Like I said in an earlier post, unless your blind or mentally slow, then nobody is buying that nonsense. If anything, he has done nothing but create more pressure on himself by not acknowledging he's stinking it up and there is no way it is just going to be dropped as long as he keeps sucking.

I'm having trouble excepting that explanation. Like I said in an earlier post, unless your blind or mentally slow, then nobody is buying that nonsense. If anything, he has done nothing but create more pressure on himself by not acknowledging he's stinking it up and there is no way it is just going to be dropped as long as he keeps sucking.

Balzer, normally I agree with you 100%, but honestly, what do you want the man to say? Is he supposed to say "yes I am horribly overrated and a mediocre RB?" I suppose he could have just given a very generic answer of "I need to get better." Would you have liked that better?

I don't think if he acknowledges to the media that he's playing poorly it's going to lessen the amount of pressure on him. I am sure he knows that if he doesn't improve, he isn't going to have a job when it is all said and done-- regardless of what he says to anyone.