Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to improve DHB route running, and catching

Rian Huff

For one its all about practice, especially for route running, catching i would say put Vontae Davis on him and have him try to out manvuer him with a oline in front of luck and the front 7 of the def against him and have it to where he can get open make the grab and try to get some YTC i know this is singling out DHB but i was thinking after practice and also some alone routes ...anything that can build up his confidence, cuz im tired of a lot of people saying he should be cut, or he sucks, and a lot of negative things....if you were him and had 1,000's of fans doing that to you would you do well in games?

For one its all about practice, especially for route running, catching i would say put Vontae Davis on him and have him try to out manvuer him with a oline in front of luck and the front 7 of the def against him and have it to where he can get open make the grab and try to get some YTC i know this is singling out DHB but i was thinking after practice and also some alone routes ...anything that can build up his confidence, cuz im tired of a lot of people saying he should be cut, or he sucks, and a lot of negative things....if you were him and had 1,000's of fans doing that to you would you do well in games?

and not consistentaly blitzing i mean chooisng different plays like zoning and such not always 7 man blitz either or just have the front with a linebacker blitzing (or 4 players instead of 7)

i understand that, but everyone is talking about his catching which is easier to fix than a lot fo things

Then why hasn't he? It's his lively hood, He is a professional athlete If he can't take the criticism he is in the wrong line of work.... He has been in the NFL for several years now, if he was gonna catch the ball he would've by now... You can walk a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. 

yeah prob the CFL

No he wil be in a training camp next year.

There are too many egomaniacs coaching in the NFL that believe they can turn a player with a lot of upside into the next Jerry Rice. This has been proven on so many occasions.

Beyond that, DHB has actually produced in this league, he had a few decent years in Oakland, he is still young, has no injury issues and has tremendous measurables. He will definitely get another shot.

He just needs to stop using his body to catch and improve his route running. He might be lazy with route running cause he thinks he can just beat people with speed. Not working! The catching with the body is the biggest issue. Harder to catch the passes good to great receivers make if you don't stretch out and make a play. When and if he's using the jug machine I wonder if he does that crap also.

i dunno i guess i juts dont want to give up on the guy is all

Ok since I have come out hard on him after this past game and have called for him to cut or at the very least, benched. So my question is why do you not want us to give up on him yet? What makes him warrant a spot on the team?

No he wil be in a training camp next year.

There are too many egomaniacs coaching in the NFL that believe they can turn a player with a lot of upside into the next Jerry Rice. This has been proven on so many occasions.

Beyond that, DHB has actually produced in this league, he had a few decent years in Oakland, he is still young, has no injury issues and has tremendous measurables. He will definitely get another shot.

Add in no issues off the field I can think of and I think you're right in that we'll see him in a TC somewhere, Plenty can change between now and the end of the season for one, if he catches any form of game winning pass etc. the winds of fickledom on here will change quickly. 

Add in no issues off the field I can think of and I think you're right in that we'll see him in a TC somewhere, Plenty can change between now and the end of the season for one, if he catches any form of game winning pass etc. the winds of fickledom on here will change quickly. 

True, NFL fans tend to have very short memories.

does anyone else get entirely freaking tired of reading posts that people pretend to know how to coach a player.

"i would say put Vontae Davis on him and have him try to out manvuer him with a oline in front of luck and the front 7 of the def against him and have it to where he can get open make the grab and try to get some YTC"

there are other posts like "They need to tell Trent to run behind his pads" LOL but this one  :number1: takes the cake.  You should call Pagano.  I am sure he never thought of having our OLine practice against the DLine while the offense tries to complete a pass and the defense tries to stop the pass.... 

Then why hasn't he? It's his lively hood, He is a professional athlete If he can't take the criticism he is in the wrong line of work.... He has been in the NFL for several years now, if he was gonna catch the ball he would've by now... You can walk a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. 

Its just like in Basketball.. Shaq, Dwight Howard and many others are payed millions of dollars and can't even make a free throw with no one on them, even if their life depended on it..

does anyone else get entirely freaking tired of reading posts that people pretend to know how to coach a player.

"i would say put Vontae Davis on him and have him try to out manvuer him with a oline in front of luck and the front 7 of the def against him and have it to where he can get open make the grab and try to get some YTC"

there are other posts like "They need to tell Trent to run behind his pads" LOL but this one  :number1: takes the cake.  You should call Pagano.  I am sure he never thought of having our OLine practice against the DLine while the offense tries to complete a pass and the defense tries to stop the pass.... 

YTC?! 

This is his 5th year in the NFL, if he was going to improve he would've done it by now. 

This.  DHB is what he is and he is not going to magically improve by putting Davis on him or making him sit in front of a throwing machine and catch 100 balls ever day.  The guy had five years in this league to improve his route running and hands and it has not happened.

We are just going to have to suffer through him for the rest of the season and hopefully move on next season when we find a replacement in the draft.

The guy still jumps for no reason when catching passes. I stopped doing that when I was 12 . I think it's safe to say the finer points of playing the position are lost May

Maybe he think its basketball...idk but anyways. I'm guessing he is gonna see less playing time since Da'Rick Rogers is going to have a shot on Thursday.

I am sure they already are working hard on getting him to catch the ball more frequently with the hands.

But DHB has other flaws i.e. his pursuit for the deep balls aren't consistent at all. His best catches come above his head stretching his arms out forcing him to catch with his hands.

The signing of a PS WR and adding Da'Rick indicate the coaching staff are aware of the issues with the WR position besides TY. Brazill and Reed haven't done squat either. It's been TY on top with Fleener as the second option.

...Whalen has shown glimpses of potential.

He just needs to stop using his body to catch and improve his route running. He might be lazy with route running cause he thinks he can just beat people with speed. Not working! The catching with the body is the biggest issue. Harder to catch the passes good to great receivers make if you don't stretch out and make a play. When and if he's using the jug machine I wonder if he does that crap also.

I read down before I posted.  I am glad I did NewEra.  This is spot on.

In addition to 'lazy route running,' he also needs to a better job getting off of the ball.  There is no reason a guy at his size should have a problem with press coverage...but he does big-time.

He worked the jugs machine HARD in preseason, and like Reggie was catching with his hands....some guys just cannot translate it to the game.  It appears to be the case here, and I have been someone who has not given up on him.

I agree there is zero doubt he will be picked up by and NFL team next year.  We have a minimum of 8 more games to play.  He might have a good second half....he may not.  He is what we have for now, and we should root him on.  I know I will until he is no longer a Colt!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

Give him 'stickum :)

Even that might not help because the ball does not even hit his hands since he tends to catch with his body more often. But it is a start. :)

Stick one finger up...make a spectacular one finger grab :) I remember using it in a back yard football game and I was the best pass catcher on the field:  Thank you Lester Hayes!!  

2905539854_6a64b8e384_b.jpg

dont forget the head whip on routes u cant catch what u cant see have to get his head around faster

This how u improve his catching , paint the end of footballs with shape circle , triangle and square , shoot them out of the football machine have him catch them with 2 secs to name the shape

Have him play with the salty one....Adam Schefter....soon to be tried out by the Colts....

adam-schefter1.jpg

Its just like in Basketball.. Shaq, Dwight Howard and many others are payed millions of dollars and can't even make a free throw with no one on them, even if their life depended on it..

Isnt that because their hands are so big they cant shoot the ball with anything but fingertips? Its not for lack of effort its a physical problem. I think dhb has a mental problem. I hope he gets his mind right with the pressure of losing his job and turns it around.....but history has shown that seldom happens in the nfl.

Isnt that because their hands are so big they cant shoot the ball with anything but fingertips? Its not for lack of effort its a physical problem. I think dhb has a mental problem. I hope he gets his mind right with the pressure of losing his job and turns it around.....but history has shown that seldom happens in the nfl.

Big guys have options :)  Can DHB catch underhanded?  It is indeed mental.....and technical :)

wilt-chamberlain_display_image.jpg?12934

barrygranny_display_image.jpg?1280690988