Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hell has frozen over, Colts' special teams ranked No.7, Props to Grigs

chad72

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

This is one area I am so glad Bill Polian is not around for. When was the last time our special teams made a significant play in the playoffs or was ranked top 10 in any calendar year under Polian?

Heck, the SB winning year in 2006, here are some highlights (or low lights):

Jets game - Justin Miller returns one for a TD

Redskins game - Antwan Randle El returns one for a TD

Ellis Hobbs gashes us in the AFCCG with long returns at RCA dome

Devin Hester takes an opening kickoff TD in SB

I could go on and on but you get the point. It is definitely refreshing.

I think one of the reasons our special teams have continued to improve is because Grigs is constantly looking to improve them.This is the reason we got Cam Johnson at the beginning of the season and why we recently got Andy Studebaker, it's a constant effort to improve/upgrade the talent. Detail even the small ones are not ignored by this front office and coaching staff.

Props to Tom McMahon special teams coach and to Pagano for letting special teams players remain mainly intact and not changing weekly.  It is hard to get consistent special teams play when the players on special teams change frequently.  Utilizing the same players also allows the special teams to actually utilize more options on special team play calls.

There's been a couple kickoffs and punts that didn't get contained, like Holliday's return against the Broncos. Coverage was pretty bad against the Dolphins. But no disasters so far. McAfee is punting well, even though he's had some ugly ones. Kickoffs have been great. AV had some misses but has been very good overall. Some decent returns, but nothing worth mentioning.

I can see us being ranked 7th in special teams. Money kicker, good punter, above average coverage units, several pins inside the 10 yard line... Makes sense.

The Boomstick is a big reason we are pinning teams deep. Props to McAfee!!! 

Besides sending Holliday into the next zip code on the shot heard around the world, he even bobbles a snap and still rocks off a 50+ boot. KABOOM!!! 

Week9McAfeefun.gif

I kinda gagged when they franchised him when you can sign someone fresh out of college for chump change and use the $$$ for a FOOTBALL PLAYER.

His kickoffs, punts, tackles make him Worth top $$$. He is building a Colts Career that may someday earn him a Ring of Honor.

As a Punter, that would be Legendary. Good job Pat and the best of luck to you!

How nice it would be if we could just unearth a top class return man soon. The games lose a little buzz knowing that we are praying we take a touchback on all kick-offs! One day.....

Hey, you know, I actually saw Reid try to make a cut last week, who knows maybe he might break one...

One Day...

I know what you mean, man, one day I may actually pass out from holding my breath on returns; going either way. LOL

How nice it would be if we could just unearth a top class return man soon. The games lose a little buzz knowing that we are praying we take a touchback on all kick-offs! One day.....

david reed is 6th in kickoff return average (26.6) and ty hilton is 12th at punt return average (9.6). i am completely fine with both, there are more important areas on the team to improve.

I know what you mean, man, one day I may actually pass out from holding my breath on returns. LOL

i'm the same way. that's something that has been ingrained in colt fan's for a long time, but i think we will start to get over it if things continue the way they are going.

david reed is 6th in kickoff return average (26.6) and ty hilton is 12th at punt return average (9.6). i am completely fine with both, there are more important areas on the team to improve.

I have to admit to a bit of...skepticism...call it pessimisim(sp) when it comes to Reed being 6th ranked. I'm sure it's born from decades of poor ST's play, but it is something hard to ignore.

I wonder if that urge to throw a brick at the TV each time he decides to run one out of the end zone will subside with this newfound knowledge?

I still shudder from fear each time TY returns a punt, though. He's our go-to WR now. Can't afford to have him get injured returning punts. This situation is similar to having Pat Mac doing punting/field goals:one guy goes down and you need 2guys to replace him. Punt returner is one area Grigs requires addressing sooner rather than later, IMO.

Not to put a damper on this stat, But I dont think 26.6 really tells the whole story....He is known for bringing the ball out of the end zone from 9 yards deep and has on multiple instances been brought down inside the 20. lets say he brings it out to the 18 consistently....well from 9 yards deep thats a 27 yard average  if he does it enough

Not to put a damper on this stat, But I dont think 26.6 really tells the whole story....He is known for bringing the ball out of the end zone from 9 yards deep and has on multiple instances been brought down inside the 20. lets say he brings it out to the 18 consistently....well from 9 yards deep thats a 27 yard average  if he does it enough

you see a lot of returners doing the same thing, so the same can be said for all the averages then.