Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Heyward-Bey Under Most Pressure to Step up

ColtsBTM12

With Reggie Wayne down the Colts now have to play without their future HOF wideout for the first time in 189 games. Reggie Wayne is a great wide receiver and like any player, you hate to see this happen to a guy that works so hard to contribute to this team win. Its time for the rest of the wide receiver group to step up and attempt to fill the void that 87 was for so many years. Darrius Heyward-Bey is under the most pressure to step up and be that guy for Andrew to trust and find throughout the game in critical situations. The speedster that was selected seventh overall in 2009 now has his chance to prove that he is not a bust by becoming the dominant wide receiver the great Al Davis drafted him for. In the absence of Reggie Wayne, the Colts will rely on Heyward-Bey to carry a bigger workload by throwing more passes his way(especially on 3rd down) and expecting him to make big plays when needed.  Darrius has no excuses to not become a great wide receiver for this football team. For the first time in his career, Heyward-Bey has a great quarterback, great coaches, and a stable enviorment around him. With Reggie gone for the year, Darrius needs to step up now more than ever. With all the tools around him to succeed, its time he finally breaks through.

I don't think he has to be great. He can be solid and we still win. He showed in the SF game that he could play in the slot and be a matchup nightmare for LBs. I believe he will start with Hilton and make a solid 1-2 punch. If Brazill can come in for the 3 wr sets and replace Hilton's off the bench numbers then we could effectively replace Wayne's numbers If not his leadership.

I would disagree.....I believe the load falls on Fleener's shoulders. This should allow him to split out and be utilized as a receiver more. If he can exploit the mismatch that he creates with his size and athleticism, he should flourish. Hopefully with the signing of of Saunders, the blocking responsibilities are alleviated. If DHB and TY can adequately work the Intermediate and Deep portions of the field, Fleener should eat up the underneath routes. 

That being said, DHB has to make the catches when he is targeted to open things up for Fleener. Time to see some growth from this offense as the security blanket is gone. Sure would be nice to have Dwayne Allen around.

I also feel that TY Hilton needs to really step up too (thus putting pressure on himself to perform) because he needs to establish himself as a #1 receiver.

I agree though that DHB needs to step up and silence the critics. 

I also feel that TY Hilton needs to really step up too (thus putting pressure on himself to perform) because he needs to establish himself as a #1 receiver.

I agree though that DHB needs to step up and silence the critics. 

Do you really think that TY is a WR1 in the NFL? I really only see him as a WR2 at best. He has talent no doubt, but I don't see him ever being a "go to" guy.

I find it ironic that DHB's name came up in a topic tonight because earlier tonight SW1 watched NFL Replay in my DVR of the Colts vs Broncos victory on Oct. 20th & I was pleased at the progress DHB has made on our squad. He scored a TD & made some must have catches. Viewing this game twice helped me take Peyton Manning out of the equation & look at what our WRs & TEs did. I'm not in love with Fleener. TY Hilton is a game changer & DHB is a diamond in the rough. 

I wouldn't say DHB is under the most pressure. Just have each offensive weapon do their part including Brown & Richardson. I was pleasantly surprised with Donald Brown's performance vs the Broncos & I have been tough on Donald in recent weeks. I'm still trying to decide if Brown has become a key chain mover or not or it is just 1 fantastic game on his part. That's whose under the most pressure to me: Donald Brown not DHB. 

Is Donald for real now or were my eyes just deceiving me? I haven't decided yet...

Do you really think that TY is a WR1 in the NFL? I really only see him as a WR2 at best. He has talent no doubt, but I don't see him ever being a "go to" guy.

He hasn't proven it yet, but he has proven that he has that potential. At first, I didn't see it, but over the last year and a half, it's become apparent. 

The only reason I am concerened with the receiving corps is that all of them do the exact same thing. TY and DHB, are recievers with OK hands and are blazing fast. Lavon brazill might be the same type of receiver too. This is why I think we have to start griff whalen. This guy has way above average hands, and runs fantastic routes.

I will say that the TEAM and COACHES need to step up in all 3 phases of the game:

• Offense:  I think Andrew Luck needs to make the difference.  By this I mean going through his reads and getting to that third option.  The ball needs spread around to keep the other teams off balance.  DHB, TY, Brazill, Whalen, Fleener, T-Rich and DB.....a team effort is needed (OL TOO!!!)  Limit 3 and outs.
  • Defense:  Limit those long drives.  If we get stale on offense....we need to really be aggressive for 60 minutes!!
  • Special Teams:  Pat Mac...keep pinning them deep brother!  No big returs.....and a TY punt return???  HMMMMM!  AV...keep up the good work.  I was on you earlier in the year!   :)

:coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:

How about everyone steps it up? Including Pep who has to put DHB in better matchups.

DHB has done everything asked of him.

Why is everyone focused on DHB , luck and trent which we gave a first round pick up for need to step up DHB came here on a one yr flyer deal Trent needs to step up the most if u ask me

Maybe the Colts will need to alter their game plan now without RW. As far as DHB this is a real good opportunity for a receiver that has not stood out to get it going and start shining. If he does not come through then he should join the ranks of the "used to be a Colt". So far he has been borderline because he just does not seem interested in being anything more than mediocre. Like Irsay said, " if you only want one of these (SB rings) you should not be wearing a horseshoe on your helmet." "If you don't have the best players, you don't have the best team." I said that!!

Why couldn't he be? He definitely doesn't have the greatest size, but he has explosiveness that only a handful of players in the NFL have. Once he improves his route running and his hands, I absolutely think he could be a #1 for Luck and the Colts. Not saying it is definitely going to happen but I think the potential is there.

Can't remember where I saw the stat showing Reggie's targets but I think he was targeted around 11 times a game under Arians offense & that his targets dropped to around 7 a game under Pep. If you divide those targets evenly between all the receivers, it isn't all that much...

With that said if DHB can reel in those extra targets, even if it is just a few a game (assuming that the seven odd targets Reggie would get are spread around somewhat evenly) , he can get some confidence going, I think it will do wonders for him & I think he can prove that he can be a solid WR in the league...

I expect that by the time the Tenn games roll around Luck will be making great things happen with DHB, TY, Brazil, & Griff...

With Reggie Wayne down the Colts now have to play without their future HOF wideout for the first time in 189 games. Reggie Wayne is a great wide receiver and like any player, you hate to see this happen to a guy that works so hard to contribute to this team win. Its time for the rest of the wide receiver group to step up and attempt to fill the void that 87 was for so many years. Darrius Heyward-Bey is under the most pressure to step up and be that guy for Andrew to trust and find throughout the game in critical situations. The speedster that was selected seventh overall in 2009 now has his chance to prove that he is not a bust by becoming the dominant wide receiver the great Al Davis drafted him for. In the absence of Reggie Wayne, the Colts will rely on Heyward-Bey to carry a bigger workload by throwing more passes his way(especially on 3rd down) and expecting him to make big plays when needed.  Darrius has no excuses to not become a great wide receiver for this football team. For the first time in his career, Heyward-Bey has a great quarterback, great coaches, and a stable enviorment around him. With Reggie gone for the year, Darrius needs to step up now more than ever. With all the tools around him to succeed, its time he finally breaks through.

Not at all.

He has the same pressure as before IMO. Still trying to prove himself in general.

The real pressure is on Hilton to get his head into reading defenses much better so Andrew can hit him on clutch plays.

They are hooking up on 50% of targets, and that is BAD NEWS!

Pressure is on Andrew too to make quicker, better decisions and still improve his accuracy. A tall task that won`t come quickly.

He struggled mightily against #2 corners and now he will be receiving coverage from defenses best corner.

He's a one and done here in Indy.

There's no pressure.. No matter how he plays he will end up somewhere else next season.

He struggled mightily against #2 corners and now he will be receiving coverage from defenses best corner.

There's no pressure.. No matter how he plays he will end up somewhere else next season.

Struggled? I didn't see him struggle against the seahawks who have the top corners in the league. He creamed them!

I don't think any of our recievers are bad. I just think that they probably expect luck to look for Reggie every time. Which is why they are caught off guard with drops. Except with Avery, he just had butter fingers

Jolly Gee Willikers Batman!!! If DHB doesn't step up, the Colts aren't going to the playoffs!!!!

:Nuke:

:panic:

If the Colts can not win this division with the team we have and go to the playoffs, then we are not even close to the team everyone thinks we are. That gives us time for our players to gel more, become better as individuals and better as a team on both sides of the ball. DHB has time to gradually get better, 8 weeks, and then perform like he has the potential to in the playoffs. Fleener will also need this time to excel.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If the Colts can not win this division with the team we have and go to the playoffs, then we are not even close to the team everyone thinks we are. That gives us time for our players to gel more, become better as individuals and better as a team on both sides of the ball. DHB has time to gradually get better, 8 weeks, and then perform like he has the potential to in the playoffs. Fleener will also need this time to excel.

TRich needs to be a 1st round talent by the time we get to the postseason.  And once we are in the playoffs, we will need him to go AP all over everybody.

Not at all.

He has the same pressure as before IMO. Still trying to prove himself in general.

The real pressure is on Hilton to get his head into reading defenses much better so Andrew can hit him on clutch plays.

They are hooking up on 50% of targets, and that is BAD NEWS!

Pressure is on Andrew too to make quicker, better decisions and still improve his accuracy. A tall task that won`t come quickly.

Yeah but Hilton has already played well all year and defenses already know he is a force to be reckoned with. He may get double-covered and it will be up to Heyward-Bey to make the big plays. Besides, Heyward-Bey is 6'2, the obvoius target for a quarterback on third down, or any critical situation.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah but Hilton has already played well all year and defenses already know he is a force to be reckoned with. He may get double-covered and it will be up to Heyward-Bey to make the big plays. Besides, Heyward-Bey is 6'2, the obvoius target for a quarterback on third down, or any critical situation.

Fleener really needs to step up and be Luck's security blanket now.  Everybody needs to step up, but if I had to pick one guy that absolutely has to live up to his potential for this team to succeed deep into the playoffs, it's Coby.

The other day I worked out on a step machine.

I stepped up.

Thanks WH for making me chuckle on that witty remark.  ;) I do appreciate well thought answers by many bloggers on the Forum naturally, but that makes me admire a well placed, unexpected joke even more. Nice! 

If he plays spectacular why wouldn't we want him back? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.