Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign TE Weslye Saunders

MTC

blog.colts.com

The Indianapolis Colts today signed free agent tight end Weslye Saunders to the active roster and tackle Xavier Nixon to the practice squad. The team also waived cornerback Daxton Swanson from Injured Reserve.

Saunders, 6-5, 261 pounds, has played in 27 career games (10 starts), catching six passes for 44 yards and a touchdown. He was originally signed by the Colts as a free agent on October 16, 2012 and appeared in 11 games (four starts) last year, recording two catches for 15 yards. Saunders was waived by the Colts on July 25, 2013.

Quite interesting move. Surprising as well. Thought Cunningham would get the nod.

We need his blocking because Fleener is about to be split out even more now. And I kinda got tired of seeing Fleener get tossed to the side while blocking

This^. Plus, he can catch if needed. Going to help the run game. I still don't know what Doyle does well.

Could be a good time to pick up Fleener on your fantasy team.

We need his blocking because Fleener is about to be split out even more now. And I kinda got tired of seeing Fleener get tossed to the side while blocking

many running plays are blown up fleeners blocking, not just mcglynn. this could open up more holes for richardson and get fleener downfield

I guess this tells us that Dominique Jones is just not an NFL TE, Justice Cunningham is not ready, and neither Fleener or Doyle are capable blockers yet.

It will be interesting to see if the running game picks up in a couple of weeks when Saunders should be utilized more.