Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHB's time

BlueCollarColts

I'm going to say it now, Darrius Heyward-Bey is about to step up, and show us what he has. I think DHB is about to earn himself a long-term contract with us down the stretch. No one can deny it, he has had a subpar 7 games with us so far, but Reggie is down, and someone needs to step up. T.Y. is obviously who everyone looks towards, and with good reason. He is only 23 and is our 2nd best receiver. However I just want to let everyone know, DHB is about to have a big 2nd half to this season

I think he will continue to grow. He has rare speed. I dont think he has ever experienced a locker room and a group of men like this one. I doubt anyone here wants Darius to do better then he does himself. I have no complaints with him so far.

I agree with this. Reggie's injury is a huge blow to this team and is in no way a good thing, but hopefully this will make DHB step up and reach his potential as a receiver. At 6'2 220 lbs with blazing speed, he would sure be one hell of a target for Luck if he can put it all together

we will see what happens, Im expecting him to be what he has been his entire career, he will be a deep threat that can stretch the field once in a while with a good deep ball catch but will also drop balls an NFL caliber wr should catch

Maybe we expect something from him that he can't be. he is an outstanding blocker but I don't know if he can ever be a #1 receiver. Not all receivers in the NFL are #1 guys. I think he is a role type player who can get 4-5 catches a game, stretch the field occasionally and block well. TY isn't a # 1 and never will be. Too small for a constant pounding he would have to take but plays a big role for the colts.

#1 guy needs to have sure hands and be able to take a pounding or preferable avoid the big hits as Reggie could do. Don't see anyone who can be the guy yet for the colts. Look around the league now. NO has a group of role players but no real #1.Seatle, SF, SD and NE all seem to lack a true #1 but get by just fine. I think we will do fine also as we have no other choice as I see it.

Maybe we expect something from him that he can't be. he is an outstanding blocker but I don't know if he can ever be a #1 receiver. Not all receivers in the NFL are #1 guys. I think he is a role type player who can get 4-5 catches a game, stretch the field occasionally and block well. TY isn't a # 1 and never will be. Too small for a constant pounding he would have to take but plays a big role for the colts.

#1 guy needs to have sure hands and be able to take a pounding or preferable avoid the big hits as Reggie could do. Don't see anyone who can be the guy yet for the colts. Look around the league now. NO has a group of role players but no real #1.Seatle, SF, SD and NE all seem to lack a true #1 but get by just fine. I think we will do fine also as we have no other choice as I see it.

Marv was a small guy. It's more about being smart after the catch. He would make the catch and avoid getting clobbered. TY learns that he will be fine. DHB is big enough that he can be more physical after the catch.

Marv was a small guy. It's more about being smart after the catch. He would make the catch and avoid getting clobbered. TY learns that he will be fine. DHB is big enough that he can be more physical after the catch.

Marv was almost the exact same size that Reggie. I wouldn't say Reggie is a larger guy but not everyone talks about how small Reggie is. I agree he has to be smart about getting down or out of bounds but if he is going to play the outside, I would expect more of a Desean Jackson role instead of a Marvin Harrison. For a while Harrison was the true threat as a receiver. Jackson is technically the #1 but the way they use him he mainly just moves corners and occasionally gets a big play but I would say primarily they use him to divert attention and get another target open. That's just my opinion though.

Marv was almost the exact same size that Reggie. I wouldn't say Reggie is a larger guy but not everyone talks about how small Reggie is. I agree he has to be smart about getting down or out of bounds but if he is going to play the outside, I would expect more of a Desean Jackson role instead of a Marvin Harrison. For a while Harrison was the true threat as a receiver. Jackson is technically the #1 but the way they use him he mainly just moves corners and occasionally gets a big play but I would say primarily they use him to divert attention and get another target open. That's just my opinion though.

Height wise, but Marv was small and quick. He was great at not taking a big hit. Which Reggie does the same a lot also. Heck, when he got hurt it was just how he planted his leg. I think TY can be huge, just has to try to avoid the big hits. Luck needs to help him out with that also.

Height wise, but Marv was small and quick. He was great at not taking a big hit. Which Reggie does the same a lot also. Heck, when he got hurt it was just how he planted his leg. I think TY can be huge, just has to try to avoid the big hits. Luck needs to help him out with that also.

I agree. Reggie and Marvin don't/didn't play a similar game. I just think its funny how everyone talks about how small Harrison was when he's the same size as Reggie but no one says Reggie is too small. I also agree that Luck cant throw his receivers into traffic unless its a Calvin Johnson/Dez Bryant type of receiver that can get the ball and give punishment instead of just taking it. Hilton can be a huge weapon but I don't think he'll ever be Marvin so its extremely unfair for anyone to expect that. Hilton is built more like Desean Jackson. It scares me to see Hilton cross the middle especially having seen what happened to Collie. If I was in charge of the offense (clearly im not) then Hilton would stay the homerun threat and sometimes catch screens etc but I wouldn't run him across the middle of the field.

The regular season is fun but Marvin often disappeared in the playoffs.

He and Manning sure piled up the stats beating on the Jags, Texans, Browns, Bengals, KC, Buffalo & Raiders in the regular season.

TY will be Vg at what he does. I could see it taking him another season or so to get really good at getting open.

Reggie caught 27 balls with no TD`s his 1st year.

49 balls and 4 TD`s in year 2.

Have to laugh at the boneheads who write off a Werner, or other already. One would hope they are like 18 and just don`t know.

we will see what happens, Im expecting him to be what he has been his entire career, he will be a deep threat that can stretch the field once in a while with a good deep ball catch but will also drop balls an NFL caliber wr should catch

After coming from the mess that is Oakland when dHb has another yr with the colts I think he is gonna be fine and really blossom after we re him up for another 2/3 yrs

I agree. Reggie and Marvin don't/didn't play a similar game. I just think its funny how everyone talks about how small Harrison was when he's the same size as Reggie but no one says Reggie is too small. I also agree that Luck cant throw his receivers into traffic unless its a Calvin Johnson/Dez Bryant type of receiver that can get the ball and give punishment instead of just taking it. Hilton can be a huge weapon but I don't think he'll ever be Marvin so its extremely unfair for anyone to expect that. Hilton is built more like Desean Jackson. It scares me to see Hilton cross the middle especially having seen what happened to Collie. If I was in charge of the offense (clearly im not) then Hilton would stay the homerun threat and sometimes catch screens etc but I wouldn't run him across the middle of the field.

Same height, but Reggie is bigger than Marvin. Outweighs him by about 20 pounds. Pluses and minuses on either side, but that's a significant difference. 

Hilton's body type is a lot more like Marvin's than it is Reggie's, and that influences the way he needs to play. Plus, he's shorter than Marvin. I don't think his size will prevent him from producing, so long as he improves at the technical aspects of the game. But it's difficult to play at that size in the NFL, no matter how fast you are.

I'm going to say it now, Darrius Heyward-Bey is about to step up, and show us what he has. I think DHB is about to earn himself a long-term contract with us down the stretch. No one can deny it, he has had a subpar 7 games with us so far, but Reggie is down, and someone needs to step up. T.Y. is obviously who everyone looks towards, and with good reason. He is only 23 and is our 2nd best receiver. However I just want to let everyone know, DHB is about to have a big 2nd half to this season

I just don't see it..

Even though I hope your right.

Yup.  A lot of pressure on DHB now, I think.  Hilton is talented, but as some here have said, I don't think he can be the primary target.  He's just too small.  DHB and Fleener are going to have to step up big time for the offense.  Unfortunately, we may be in for a lot of drives killed by drops for the rest of the season...

Same height, but Reggie is bigger than Marvin. Outweighs him by about 20 pounds. Pluses and minuses on either side, but that's a significant difference. 

Hilton's body type is a lot more like Marvin's than it is Reggie's, and that influences the way he needs to play. Plus, he's shorter than Marvin. I don't think his size will prevent him from producing, so long as he improves at the technical aspects of the game. But it's difficult to play at that size in the NFL, no matter how fast you are.

I think Marvin's extra height gave him the ability to do a few more things that I don't know Hilton can do starting with the fact that when needed Harrison could go across the middle. I know there are a lot more rules in terms of hitting defenseless receivers now but it still worries me. You can send someone like Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Julio Jones etc (bigger outside receivers) across the middle and given their size they can go through traffic. It wasn't ideal but Reggie and Marvin both did that. I just don't believe Hilton can unless its like a pick play.

Put me in the camp that thinks it's unlikely. He doesn't use the speed to separate down feild very often, his route running doesn't get him open and he's got the same issue with catching the ball, as Raider fan had said. Basically he's going to see a lot of single coverage and he's got to win some of those plays.

I would like to see him get some more "long handoffs" and bubble screen type plays he scored on more often. Gotta get some production from him somehow. 

I think he will continue to grow. He has rare speed. I dont think he has ever experienced a locker room and a group of men like this one. I doubt anyone here wants Darius to do better then he does himself. I have no complaints with him so far.

My one complaint is lackluster route running. Only 18 looks in 7 games. A guy with that variety of speed should get separation far more so than we've seen.

Good news is....this is coachable. I had such high hopes for DHB going in to 2013. 

DHB does not "have" to break out anytime soon, though it would be nice. I see us easily winning our division with the team we have, though we may not be seeded like we want. DHB has until then, 8 weeks, as does the rest of the team, to step up and perform like they have the potential to and win games in the playoffs and play in the SB.

I believe Reggie is about  20 lbs heavier than Marv. Brazill is about Reggie's size.