Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts should re-sign Brown to 1 - 2 year deal

danlhart87

Here's the way I see it. Chances are Bradshaw isnt coming back especially with his injury and who knows what to expect with Ballard. Brown cant carry the load but he's been pretty solid in small spots this year. Re-Sign him to a 1-2 year deal and hope for the best with Ballard.

Depends on the deal and what he's being asked to do.

If he's going to change of pace behind Richardson and Ballard, assuming he bounces back, then it better be a very small contract money wise.

If he's going to take on the Addai role then this year is a great audition to show he can be a consistent productive back.

Besides as Oldunclemark keeps reminding everyone. Picking up a guy with the skills of Brown can be found at any stage of the draft. Pick up a 5th rounder and pay him less. RBs are a dime a dozen.

Depends on the deal and what he's being asked to do.

If he's going to change of pace behind Richardson and Ballard, assuming he bounces back, then it better be a very small contract money wise.

If he's going to take on the Addai role then this year is a great audition to show he can be a consistent productive back.

Besides as Oldunclemark keeps reminding everyone. Picking up a guy with the skills of Brown can be found at any stage of the draft. Pick up a 5th rounder and pay him less. RBs are a dime a dozen.

I'd love to see Brown back because I like him..Lets see what he does the rest of the year..

But House is right...

But you can get a good quality back in the 3rd or 4th or 5th round and you pay him rookie scale.

We're going to have to do that anyway if Ahmad B. has surgery on his next because we wont know how he'll hold up

It depends entirely on the price. I think Donald's worth bringing back, but not worth paying a premium to keep around. 

I am sure when that time comes the Colts will do whats best for both parties. As far as the cost he will fall under the standard contract for his years of service. 

He's very replaceable and there are plenty of guys on the market and in the draft that can do what he does.

There's also Kerwynn Williams on the team, and he could be the #3 next year too. 

Better to sign him to an affordable deal that's easy to get out of, and if he gets outplayed in training camp, then cut him IMO. We've got too many question marks at the position to not bring him into camp.

Based on his past i sure didn`t want him on the team this year.
I sure wouldn`t cut him now. ;)

Yip its a contract year, and his story isn`t told just yet.
They seem reluctant to use him considering he has made some plays.
 I`m happy with his contribution so far and wish him good health and hope he just keeps getting better.
 Griggs likes young guys coming off their first contract that love the game and have upside. Donald has a shot.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brown back.  Under Pagano and Pep the Colts are building the type of line and running the type of blocking scheme that Brown needs to be successful.  I always thought that Dungy/Caldwell and company tried to make the square peg fit in the round hole with Brown.  He needs more of a man blocking scheme as opposed to the zone blocking the Colts ran before.

I actually would not mind seeing Brown getting 10-12 carries a game especially since Richardson is still learning the O.

It all depends on the kind of money he wants and what he's looking for.  If he wants to be a starter or a chance at starting he's not going to find that here.  If he's fine with his role of special teams player and change of pace back and will take a cheap deal I am all for it. 

Well, he'll get his chance now to prove his worth.  Of course, if he does REALLY well, some team might overpay to get him next year.  I don't think so though.  If he stays healthy the whole year and does a decent job relieving TRich, I'd resign him to a cheap contract.

One year cheap contract only, Donald runs better when his feet are to the fire. Give him a multi year contract and his foot comes off of the gas pedal. He is not a back that runs hard all the time, he needs motivation to run hard.

Donald has never been in a contract year before -- this is the healthiest he has been in a while -- this is the first season where he is consistently getting touches where he isn't being wrapped up or hit before the line of scrimmage -- he is playing very good on special teams, so it isn't like he is just running hard, he is playing hard all over the field. ... I think that the statement there is a little pre-mature, as I think he has played hard for us his whole career, but just has not had the same success because our line and overall run game have been terrible during his tenure with the Colts until this season.  Donnie is a very good change-of-pace type of back (lightning back) and has benefitted greatly from Bradshaw and T-Rich this season (thunder backs)

Donald has never been in a contract year before -- this is the healthiest he has been in a while -- this is the first season where he is consistently getting touches where he isn't being wrapped up or hit before the line of scrimmage -- he is playing very good on special teams, so it isn't like he is just running hard, he is playing hard all over the field. ... I think that the statement there is a little pre-mature, as I think he has played hard for us his whole career, but just has not had the same success because our line and overall run game have been terrible during his tenure with the Colts until this season.  Donnie is a very good change-of-pace type of back (lightning back) and has benefitted greatly from Bradshaw and T-Rich this season (thunder backs)

This is the first year he has actually ran the ball with purpose. His earlier years he would go down when someone got a fingernail on him, this year he is actually running strong and not going down so easily.

Here's the way I see it. Chances are Bradshaw isnt coming back especially with his injury and who knows what to expect with Ballard. Brown cant carry the load but he's been pretty solid in small spots this year. Re-Sign him to a 1-2 year deal and hope for the best with Ballard.

Bradshaw will be back next year with a one year "cheap" deal. Ballard will also be back. Thats 3 backs. I  mean RBs. Brown one year deal at most as 4th RB.