Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis on a tear [Merge]

ColtsBTM12

7.5 sacks through the first 4 games. He is on pace for a 30 sack season. It would be incredibly tough to keep going at this pace but if you're a Colts fan you have to love what you're seeing. Our entire defense, not just Robert, is getting to the QB each and every week and its exciting to watch.

While the odds are certainly against him getting in, what Hall of Fame voters and fans in general should realize is that this is the first time Mathis has played in a defense that best fits him.

The crazy production he racked up over the years? Up until last year, it was all done as a 4-3 DE, which is not the kind of defense or position that best fits a 6'2, 245 lb pass rusher like Mathis. He projected as a great 3-4 OLB fit all along, but it speaks to his ability that he was able to produce playing outside of his ideal scheme, and that he never left Indy to go play somewhere else that had it. 

Please keep in mind 2 of the first 4 games were Miami and Jacsonville, the two teams that allow more sacks than anyone else, which is naturally going to skew his numbers up. Still, its an impressive bit of work by Mathis to give this otherwise meh front 7 a bit of bite.

Please keep in mind 2 of the first 4 games were Miami and Jacsonville, the two teams that allow more sacks than anyone else, which is naturally going to skew his numbers up. Still, its an impressive bit of work by Mathis to give this otherwise meh front 7 a bit of bite.

Miami? I don't think this year they do.

Meh, Justin Houston has gone up against 3 rookies

I mean no one else is consistently getting to the QB. the next leading sacker I think is freeman with 2

Other guys have definitely been getting pressure.  Mathis has been getting some cleanup sacks as well....sacks that other guys just barely missed on and threw the QB off balance allowing Mathis to finish it off.   Not taking anything at all away from Mathis, he's been on fire so far this year and definitely hope he keeps it up.  Would love to see him lead the league in sacks.  I just don't think it's accurate at all to say that he's the only one getting pressure. :)

While the odds are certainly against him getting in, what Hall of Fame voters and fans in general should realize is that this is the first time Mathis has played in a defense that best fits him.

And not to only mention, this dude came from an HBCU.  Nothing against them, but it's not often you hear players from HBCU's tearing it up in the NFL.  Robert is a trend-setter and I see no reason why he and Dwight shouldn't be in the HOF one day.  

Robert is having a great year and moving him on the defense is looking to be a brilliant and cost-efficient move by Pag and the front office.  Bravo.