Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The *OFFICIAL* Colts vs. Seahawks Gameplan

bap1331

Okay, so heres the deal...

1. The first advantage is that we are at home and the Seahawks are not as good on the road but let us not get confident...

2. The Seahawks cornerbacks are monstrous so we cant afford Luck to not show up to humiliate himself. Sherman is a trash talker but at least the only player he respects in the NFL is Andrew Luck. So the gameplan here is to pound a running game with Ahmad Bradshaw, Trent Richardson, and Donald Brown...

3. Defense needs to put pressure on Russell Wilson. But I would say to contain him like we did with Kaepernick. Hes not tall enough to throw over the oline so he will run out of the pocket. Make sure the D-line do its best to block his passes.

4. Keep an eye on Beast Mode...very dangerous so the D will need to prepare for this one.

What do you think?

we could just use the same gameplan that was used against the niners, try to keep wilson in check, our secondary will be set with bethea and landry (if healthy), our LBs can focus on lynch with angerer,conner and freeman. Luck will have to be smart and patient with his throws and RUN THE BALL with ALL 3 backs! (if bradshaw is healthy)...i really think we can get a W

My concern is that, if they get off to a slow start against that defense with some of the errant throws we saw today, we'll be looking at an early 14 point deficit.  

I think they're going to need to play the same flawless football we saw executed against the 49ers.

Okay, so heres the deal...

1. The first advantage is that we are at home and the Seahawks are not as good on the road but let us not get confident...

2. The Seahawks cornerbacks are monstrous so we cant afford Luck to not show up to humiliate himself. Sherman is a trash talker but at least the only player he respects in the NFL is Andrew Luck. So the gameplan here is to pound a running game with Ahmad Bradshaw, Trent Richardson, and Donald Brown...

3. Defense needs to put pressure on Russell Wilson. But I would say to contain him like we did with Kaepernick. Hes not tall enough to throw over the oline so he will run out of the pocket. Make sure the D-line do its best to block his passes.

4. Keep an eye on Beast Mode...very dangerous so the D will need to prepare for this one.

What do you think?

Colts win 38- 10

Wilson is incredibly evasive. That's what worries me 

Kaepernick is slightly less evasive, but bigger and faster than Wilson and every bit the run threat....but by our secondary having a great game covering SF's receiving targets we still beat them on their own field.

Part of it of course was SF inexplicably backing off rushing Gore at us after what started out looking like a big day for him. I doubt Seattle will do the same.

Wilson is probably better at decision making than Kaepernick....but they do not have a spectacular game-breaking WR corps and I have a feeling we'll get a VERY heavy dose of Marshawn Lynch.

I predict a nasty game in the trenches and our O-line and Front 7 need to play with the smash mouth intensity they did at San Fran. And pass coverage will be huge.

But on our own field....we can absolutely beat those guys.

Hope we have Bradshaw and Landry back. Was Howell able to return to the game? I thought I saw Lefeged finish the game.

Wilson is small and quick. While Kaep was big and fast, as was Pryor. We've had more luck in the past containing the little guys like Vick. As long as we can math his speed and not kill us with scrambles I think we'll be good.

I think I saw enough to say that Seattles' offensive line does not appear to be all that good.  The Texans kept a fire under Wilsons butt for practically the entire game.  I think we can create some negative plays on them as a result.  In my estimation I feel like Seattles wr corps isn't a whole lot better San Francisco so I think we'll be able to contain them.

Another thing I saw today is that Arian Foster went for over 100 yards on the Seahawks.  I do believe we can set the tone on the ground in the same way.  If we can limit our mistakes against what I believe is a very very good defensive team I think we will be fine in this game.  This is what it's all about!  The Texans should have soundly defeated the Seahawks if it weren't for key mistakes at the wrong times.  The thing I love about our team is we are one of the least penalized teams in the league and we play smart football.

I expect for us to come out with the same type of playoff intensity that we did when we played the Texans at home last year.  We let a team(Dolphins) come in our house and steal a win a couple of weeks ago.  I fully expect Pagano to have the boys fired up to defend the home turf and right the ship.  I feel real good about getting a win this week! Lucas Oil is going to be rocking.......

What did Houston do today that had them playing from behind almost the entire game? Copy what they did

Everything we probably will do minus having Matt Choke at QB.

Anywho, we need to be able to run the ball so that our receivers will have better looks against the secondary.

On defense we need to shut down marshawn lunch so we force Wilson to throw up and down the field, which I like our chances against given how our secondary has played so far this year.

What did Houston do today that had them playing from behind almost the entire game?  Copy what they did

As a hawks fan this is what I saw:

1.) On offense....the Hawks were playing without both starting tackles and their starting center; the backups didn't look like they were on the same page. Don't expect it to be as easy next week. Both players were game time decisions today, which means that a return is likely for one or both. ]\

2.) On defense - we seemed to get away with some of what we do best on defense. I saw more zone than usual. I'll have to re-watch the game but it seemed like for some reason we were giving a lot of room and I can't quite figure out why. 

What changed:

1.) I was screaming the whole first 3 quarters to let Wilson be Wilson. The guy just makes plays when its simply left up to him to put the team on his back. He was under siege all day long but there is 0 quit in him. He'll never have the numbers of a manning/brees/brady but he might just be as clutch or better. The pick he threw was a bad decision, but pretty much his only one. He takes care of the football, for the most part.

2.) Shaub made a horrible decision and throw in Sherman's vicinity. Not sure what you guys have as your perception of Sherman but if it's just a trash-talking adderall suspension avoider, you're wrong. he's an intense student of the game who has a great attitude and absolutely loves what he's doing, and is good at it. You simply can't keep throwing his way all day and expect him not to make a play. 

3.) Our coaches finally decided to start calling blitzes, and also began getting pressure with 4 man fronts. I think that having the ball for as much as the texans did in the first 3 quarters eventually wore them down. That is the Seahawks game plan on both sides of the ball. They don't care about the yards or time of possession they give up; they are all about winning a battle of attrition. We usually don't blitz a lot; we are all bout playing press man coverage with one high safety and relying on sheer athleticism rather than scheming to win. That wasn't working this game however and we got away from that. Towards the end of the game we started sending pressure and also doing more man coverage.

Colts game plan:

1.) On offense avoid turnovers; yeah that is a given but you don't want to give my team's defense any more reason to believe in themselves than you already have. They are sharks. Once they smell blood they will keep the momentum and simply not let it go. If you can avoid turnovers and just work the ball down the field and frustrate them. Make a mistake though and they will go into a frezy. That's exactly what happened today. When sherman tied the game with a pick 6, I couldn't imagine the Texans scoring any more points.

2.) Screens, flats, dumpoffs over the middle. You won't get many big plays and you don't want to test this defense that way. Your offense keeping rhythm and staying on schedule and not making any mistakes is super important.

3.) On defense, somehow you will have to get pressure up the middle while sealing the edge; keep wilson in the pocket and try to collapse the pocket from the front to force him to throw; he doesn't like to make risky throws and will take the sack most of the time rather than trying to make a play. Somehow, you also need to stop marshawn lynch. 

Overall I can't wait for this game. The Colts are a classy organization with some of the best fans I've talked too.  I hope we get to see Luck v. Wilson at least once a year for many years to come, if you know what I'm sayin. I know there is a lot of crap out there about PED's, and a lot of negativity about Coach Carroll, and Sherman as well who brings some of that upon themselves but really this is a team full of a lot of really good guys who believe in eachother. 

1.) On offense....the Hawks were playing without both starting tackles and their starting center; the backups didn't look like they were on the same page. Don't expect it to be as easy next week. Both players were game time decisions today, which means that a return is likely for one or both. ]\

2.) On defense - we seemed to get away with some of what we do best on defense. I saw more zone than usual. I'll have to re-watch the game but it seemed like for some reason we were giving a lot of room and I can't quite figure out why. 

What changed:

1.) I was screaming the whole first 3 quarters to let Wilson be Wilson. The guy just makes plays when its simply left up to him to put the team on his back. He was under siege all day long but there is 0 quit in him. He'll never have the numbers of a manning/brees/brady but he might just be as clutch or better. The pick he threw was a bad decision, but pretty much his only one. He takes care of the football, for the most part.

2.) Shaub made a horrible decision and throw in Sherman's vicinity. Not sure what you guys have as your perception of Sherman but if it's just a trash-talking adderall suspension avoider, you're wrong. he's an intense student of the game who has a great attitude and absolutely loves what he's doing, and is good at it. You simply can't keep throwing his way all day and expect him not to make a play. 

3.) Our coaches finally decided to start calling blitzes, and also began getting pressure with 4 man fronts. I think that having the ball for as much as the texans did in the first 3 quarters eventually wore them down. That is the Seahawks game plan on both sides of the ball. They don't care about the yards or time of possession they give up; they are all about winning a battle of attrition. We usually don't blitz a lot; we are all bout playing press man coverage with one high safety and relying on sheer athleticism rather than scheming to win. That wasn't working this game however and we got away from that. Towards the end of the game we started sending pressure and also doing more man coverage.

Colts game plan:

1.) On offense avoid turnovers; yeah that is a given but you don't want to give my team's defense any more reason to believe in themselves than you already have. They are sharks. Once they smell blood they will keep the momentum and simply not let it go. If you can avoid turnovers and just work the ball down the field and frustrate them. Make a mistake though and they will go into a frezy. That's exactly what happened today. When sherman tied the game with a pick 6, I couldn't imagine the Texans scoring any more points.

2.) Screens, flats, dumpoffs over the middle. You won't get many big plays and you don't want to test this defense that way. Your offense keeping rhythm and staying on schedule and not making any mistakes is super important.

3.) On defense, somehow you will have to get pressure up the middle while sealing the edge; keep wilson in the pocket and try to collapse the pocket from the front to force him to throw; he doesn't like to make risky throws and will take the sack most of the time rather than trying to make a play. Somehow, you also need to stop marshawn lynch. 

Overall I can't wait for this game. The Colts are a classy organization with some of the best fans I've talked too.  I hope we get to see Luck v. Wilson at least once a year for many years to come, if you know what I'm sayin. I know there is a lot of crap out there about PED's, and a lot of negativity about Coach Carroll, and Sherman as well who brings some of that upon themselves but really this is a team full of a lot of really good guys who believe in eachother. 

Good post!  I don't have much I can argue with on this assessment.  We are well aware of Sherman, he's an excellent player.It's going to be one heck of a game, but in the end I think we'll pull it out.  We play the kind of football that matches up well with how Seattle plays.  The Colts are probably the least penalized team in the league and we rarely turn the ball over so we're very capable of playing one of those tight grind it out games which everyone saw last week against San Fran. I'm pretty sure this matchup will be very similar in style.  I have much respect for Seattles' defense, and the game against Houston just added more to my perception.  

Don't try to beat them at their game.  Spread it out on offense and play a true West Coast game - a lot of slants, dumpoffs and quick hitting passes.  Keep Wilson in the pocket and force him to keep up in a conventional passing game. 

I agree that the Colts can practically copy their gameplan for SF, and let's hope they can out-physical the 'Hawks.  Unfortunately for the Colts, the Seahawk's OL won't resemble the one that just played the Texans.  Also unfortunately for the Colts, Wilson is athletically closer to Terrell Pryor (whose speed gave the Colts' D fits in week 1) than to Kaepernick (whom the Colts handled pretty well).  Both teams have been a little schitzo this year, with moments they look great (watch both teams' SF games) and moments they struggle. 

I'm not sure what to expect, but I think the psychological advantage goes to the Colts.  At this point, the Seahawks have a 2-game lead on SF, and they just won an away game at perhaps the second best team in the AFC.  This is where a cocky team like the 'Hawks starts believing their own press reports.  We'll learn a little bit about the leadership in the Seahawks' lockeroom this week...

What changed:

Colts game plan:

I am mostly in agreement with your post.  I hope both teams starters are healthy so we can have and old school power football game.  The Colts Oline is going to have to show up big against that front 4.  And the D is going to have to tackle well because Lynch always breaks a lot of tackles.   I see this game as huge for both teams as the winner will have a confidence boost for the rest of the season.

This is where a cocky team like the 'Hawks starts believing their own press reports.  We'll learn a little bit about the leadership in the Seahawks' lockeroom this week...

That line of thinking just doesn't apply. The national perception that the Seahawks are "cocky" is completely predicated on what the national take on Richard Sherman is. Yes he's cocky but he backs it up. The rest of the team however is confident and holds themselves completely accountable for their game. 

The leader on offense is Wilson, and there is zero cockiness to the guy. I would go on about it but really this stuff says it all:

http://vimeo.com/75460493

http://vimeo.com/75460492

The real leader on Defense for all the hype that Sherman and the secondary gets is DE Red Bryant, a guy that doesn't get much press at all, and you really won't find a more humble guy that just loves to play the game. A 350 lb dude who has enough humility to stand in front of the camera after big wins with tears in his eyes and talk about the character of his teammates.

You're going to have to beat the Seahawks at football, on the field, with great playcalling and execution. It's as simple as that. There isn't going to be a psychological edge or any mysticism involved. Line up and play better. 

Going to be a good one!

Colts game plan:

Thanks for the analysis.  To keep the post from being too long with all the quoted language, just keeping in the parts I wanted to reply to which are done in the same order of your original post.

2.) Schaub/Sherman - Was listening to Tim Hasselbeck on Mike & Mike this morning and he made a compelling argument about that play.  Admittedly, he shouldnt' have thrown the ball at all.  He should hvae just taken the sack.  But the way the play is designed, the play was doomed from the start because of play design.  The blitz on the weakside, because of the offensive formation, couldn't really be picked up pre-snap because everyone was bunched in there.  In a spread offense, he would have seen the Safety coming in pre-snap, but because it was in a bunched formation, little bit more difficult.  Second, the fake handoff was to the right, which means, once pressue came, Schaub had to do a complete 180 to see his receiver for the first time after teh snap.  Should have taken the sack, but his coaches didn't give him any help with the play calling.  Oh and Sherman is a beast.  I'm certainly not underestimating anything and I think the PED thing is overplayed.  It was adderall, not cocaine or roids.  He's at worst, the second best shutdown corner in the game today and we'll do well to avoid him except when he's clearly beat - which if anyone can make it happen, i'ts Reggie Wayne.

1.) Turnovers - We've actually been very good this year avoiding turnovers.  No lost fumbles, and 2 interceptions one of which I think was just a poor read this past Sunday - though I haven't reviewed yet, so can't say who made the wrong read.  We've been dominant in the time of possession game.  The thing that scares me the most is sometimes Luck tries to hard to make a play and makes some mind boggling throws.  He did it quite a bit last year and has, for the most part, shored up that part of his game, but he made one last week.  There was a neutral zone infraction, so it could be that he was throwing it because he knew teh call was on the defense, but it still scares the hell out of me when he does that. 

2.) Short game - This is what our offense is set up to do.  A lot of us complained at the beginning of the season, but so far it has worked out well for us so I can't really criticize it.  When it doesn't work, though, it doesn't work at all, and it'll be curious to see how it stacks up against your team.  I'm fairly confident that if it could wear out the 49ers, it can be competitive with yours - which I think even 49ers fans would agree that Hawks D is tougher. 

3.) Colts front 7 - This has been the biggest surprise of the season.  With all the new additions over the offseason, it took a few games to get rolling, but when ti did against thte 49ers, I think they were caught off guard.  I believe that if we can contain Kaepernick, we can contain Wilson.  Which, you're right, it's crucial in this game, because I think he is a much better in the pocket than Kaepernick is.  If we can get pressure, our CBs are good enough to make turnovers or force a few coverage sacks. 

Look forward to the discussions this week and the friendly banter.  Good luck.

I'll be at the game....woohooooo!! 

Here's my gameplan. 

#1. Drink beer(s) pergaming over at the Noodle or wherever. 

#2. Scream until my voice goes out

#3. Drink more beer.

#4. Hopefully watch the Colts pull off a win! :) 

#5. Drink celebration beer. Or wallow in my sorrows. Either way, beer will be had. 

Here's my gameplan. 

#3. Drink more beer.

#5. Drink celebration beer. Or wallow in my sorrows. Either way, beer will be had. 

That's about as fail proof of a plan you can have.  Execution!  Execution!  Execution!!

Here's my gameplan. 

#3. Drink more beer.

Sounds like a great plan. Have fun at the game, I'm jealous. Should be a great game, especially if we end up with a W.

That line of thinking just doesn't apply. The national perception that the Seahawks are "cocky" is completely predicated on what the national take on Richard Sherman is. Yes he's cocky but he backs it up. The rest of the team however is confident and holds themselves completely accountable for their game. 

And this is what I meant when I said we'll learn about the team's leadership this week.  Some teams fall prey to the psychological traps, and the well-led teams do not.  In the end, it's all about the Xs and Os, but sometimes the top teams take a few drives to realize the game isn't handed to them just because they showed up.  I'm sure my perception of the Seahawks as a cocky team was entirely predicated upon Richard Sherman (and maybe a little of Wilson's commercial with Kaep)...so that was probably a misconception.

Here is the box score for the Seahawks @ Texans

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20130929034

Houston dominated this game in every way except TO's.   Matt Schaub played outstanding for 57 minutes.    And then Schaub was Schaub. And he won the game for Sea.   A few other really bad mistakes but with out the pick 6 I don't see Wilson taking the Seahawks all the way down for the tying score with less than 3 minutes.

I really like Indy in this game as long as they don't give the ball away.  Seattle is 1st in the NFC in +/-  (+7)    Indy is 3rd in the AFC (+6)

Seattle could very easily be 2-2 or 1-3.      

Carolina was winning driving late for a score to seal the deal and D Williams fumbles, boom Seattle scores.

wins 12-7

San Fran turned the ball over 5 times against the Hawks 1.   It was a tight game going into the 4th Q.

Then Seattle put them away.

Jax...     hehe...

Indy just needs to take care of the ball.     And keep Wilson in the pocket, he won't beat Indy from there.

Their O-line is shaky, we will force ample punts. They take advantage if you give them a short field.

No turnovers, rely on defense and come away with a close game win. Take shots down the field with TEs, not WRs against this team. Yes, we can run against this team at home, do it in healthy doses to keep them honest.

Andrew, Pete Carroll is one dirty guy and so are the folks on his team. So, if you are tucking it and running, make sure to head out of bounds quickly after getting your first down.

Getting the ground game going is key in the victory I think.  It will help slow down Seattle's pash rush and open up the passing game.

D just needs to keep doing what its been doing.  If we can get pressure with our D-Line and have our LBs spy on wilson while in coverage then we should be successful.

Seattle showed that they are not unbeatable... Houston just made too many mistakes to overcome in the end.

Fingers crossed itll be another SF type game where we just grind down the SeaHawks and run away with the game in the 2nd half.

I agree that the Colts can practically copy their gameplan for SF, and let's hope they can out-physical the 'Hawks.  Unfortunately for the Colts, the Seahawk's OL won't resemble the one that just played the Texans.  Also unfortunately for the Colts, Wilson is athletically closer to Terrell Pryor (whose speed gave the Colts' D fits in week 1) than to Kaepernick (whom the Colts handled pretty well).  Both teams have been a little schitzo this year, with moments they look great (watch both teams' SF games) and moments they struggle. 

I'm not sure what to expect, but I think the psychological advantage goes to the Colts.  At this point, the Seahawks have a 2-game lead on SF, and they just won an away game at perhaps the second best team in the AFC.  This is where a cocky team like the 'Hawks starts believing their own press reports.  We'll learn a little bit about the leadership in the Seahawks' lockeroom this week...

Couldn't have said it better.  We need to play gap sound football, contain Wilson and force them to throw.  If we do that our chances of winning increase.  

Here is the box score for the Seahawks @ Texans

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20130929034

Houston dominated this game in every way except TO's.   Matt Schaub played outstanding for 57 minutes.    And then Schaub was Schaub. And he won the game for Sea.   A few other really bad mistakes but with out the pick 6 I don't see Wilson taking the Seahawks all the way down for the tying score with less than 3 minutes.

I really like Indy in this game as long as they don't give the ball away.  Seattle is 1st in the NFC in +/-  (+7)    Indy is 3rd in the AFC (+6)

Seattle could very easily be 2-2 or 1-3.      

Carolina was winning driving late for a score to seal the deal and D Williams fumbles, boom Seattle scores.

wins 12-7

San Fran turned the ball over 5 times against the Hawks 1.   It was a tight game going into the 4th Q.

Then Seattle put them away.

Jax...     hehe...

Indy just needs to take care of the ball.     And keep Wilson in the pocket, he won't beat Indy from there.

Just to clear a couple things up...

Calling Seattle's offensive line from yesterday "makeshift" would be an insult to makeshift lines. They struggled against probably the best front 7 in the NFL. Should be healthier this week. 

And Seattle was winning when Carolina fumbled. That 49er game was never in doubt...they were manhandled the whole game. 

We also get Bruce Irvin back this week which should be a big boost the pass rush. 

For those predicting a multi-score win by the colts...it could happen but the last time Seattle lost by more than 7 points was Nov 6, 2011...30 games ago. 

I think it will be close, low scoring...and very loud as you try to give the Hawks a taste of their own medicine (you won't get quite as loud but you will certainly try ;) ). 

Archer...is that Lane Staley as your avatar? 

Hello Colts fans.  I've never been to a Colts forum before but you seem like the nicest fans I've run into.  Stay classy!  Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

This will be a great game, but if the Hawks lose, it probably won't be by more than 7.

Wilson is elusive like Fran Tarkenton.  He's not a runner like RGIII/Newton/Kaep, but he can scramble and pick up yards.  Containing him isn't as easy.  Also, he may be short, but his passer rating is better when he stays in the pocket and he gets very few balls batted down.

Hope our oline is mostly healthy this week.  It's been a concern.  If they are healthy, they'll look much better than they did vs Houston.

Houston only had an offense when we played zone.  After halftime we went back to man.  They never scored again.  Why we played zone at all is beyond me.  Hope they don't vs you guys.

Schaub didn't win the game for Seattle.  Seattle won the game for Seattle.   They practiced for that very pass on Friday with the intent of fooling Schaub into thinking Sherman was on someone else and his man would be open while having Kam deliver the pressure so Matt didn't have time to discern the truth.  After a couple failed attempts in practice, they had it down for a pick six.  It was a trap and when they saw the formation they'd been waiting for, they made Matt fall for it.

Our achilles heel:  passes over the middle.  Why the vaunted Legion of Boom can't stop a pass over the middle is every Hawk fans question.

Should be a great game.

Game plan - Score more than the Seahawks and not have any players injured.

/thread 

EDIT: Get Richard Sherman mic'd up during the game for the pure entertainment that is his trash talk. Also try and move Brandon Mebane from the line of scrimmage with Satele, Mcglynn AND Thorton and see how far they can move him in 1 play (Won't be very far)

/thread 

EDIT 2: Almost forgot defense. Try to contain Wilson, take Marshawn Lynch's skittles away from him and if you're trying to chase Wilson (D-line and OLB) you will most likely not win that battle one on one so hope you have teammates with you to cut off his running angles.

Hello Colts fans.  I've never been to a Colts forum before but you seem like the nicest fans I've run into.  Stay classy!  Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

This will be a great game, but if the Hawks lose, it probably won't be by more than 7.

Wilson is elusive like Fran Tarkenton.  He's not a runner like RGIII/Newton/Kaep, but he can scramble and pick up yards.  Containing him isn't as easy.  Also, he may be short, but his passer rating is better when he stays in the pocket and he gets very few balls batted down.

Hope our oline is mostly healthy this week.  It's been a concern.  If they are healthy, they'll look much better than they did vs Houston.

Houston only had an offense when we played zone.  After halftime we went back to man.  They never scored again.  Why we played zone at all is beyond me.  Hope they don't vs you guys.

Schaub didn't win the game for Seattle.  Seattle won the game for Seattle.   They practiced for that very pass on Friday with the intent of fooling Schaub into thinking Sherman was on someone else and his man would be open while having Kam deliver the pressure so Matt didn't have time to discern the truth.  After a couple failed attempts in practice, they had it down for a pick six.  It was a trap and when they saw the formation they'd been waiting for, they made Matt fall for it.

Our achilles heel:  passes over the middle.  Why the vaunted Legion of Boom can't stop a pass over the middle is every Hawk fans question.

Should be a great game.

Welcome to the board.

I have a question, how good are you guys at covering TEs? because I feel like Luck will be looking towards Fleener a lot with Sherman blanketing his go-to-guy, Reggie Wayne.