Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you like the Richardson trade?

Superman

Do you like this trade?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like that we gave up a 2014 1st rounder for Richardson?

• Yes, I like it
    • No, I don't like it
    • I'm torn; he's a good player, but the price is too steep

This is a blockbuster trade, no doubt. There's plenty of discourse in the other thread, so just vote. If you comment, keep it brief. Just want to see how people feel.

Edit: After about 20 hours, this is overwhelmingly pro trade. Out of 276 votes, 210 like the trade. Another 48 like the player but think the first round pick given up is too high a price to pay. Only 18 say they DO NOT like it, and at least two of them are fans of other teams. 

Edited by Superman

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on where the Colts (or I guess the Browns now) land with that pick.

If they can make the playoffs or even contend for a playoff spot but not make it, I think the trade is really good.

If they fall flat and get in the top 10 or even top 15, I think the price is too steep.

For now, I'll put I like it, but the Colts have to perform for it to be a good trade.

@Jason_OTC: From #colts perspective they now get a first round talent and completely avoid a signing bonus making this a good cash flow move

Richardson is our cheapest back on the roster

Read browns will take a 6.9mil dead cap hit in 2014 for Richardson

Edit: @brian_mcintyre: Browns may have to carry $6.67M in "dead" space after trading Richardson, but are $25M under the cap. Can roll that over to 2014.

@brian_mcintyre: So for 17 games of Trent Richardson, the Browns spent $13,887,125. He'll count $6.67M against their 2014 cap, as well.

We literally got the 1st and 3rd overall picks of that year.....that's like 2 horrible seasons worth of picks!  Next years will be mid to late first round, the cost is nothing.....Cleveland already paid a large part of his contract and we get him for a good price........Let Brown go and keep BALLARD, RICHARDSON, BRADSHAW 2014 in whatever order there all damn good!

I think people overrate 1st round picks, unless we tank and have an awful season. But what type of picks do we need in the draft, O-Line? lol. We can still find great players.

I like the move. I just hope our RB duo's can stay healthy and hopefully be put to good use against the 49'ers this weekend. :)

I think people overrate 1st round picks, unless we tank and have an awful season. But what type of picks do we need in the draft, O-Line? lol. We can still find great players.

I like the move. I just hope our RB duo's can stay healthy and hopefully be put to good use against the 49'ers this weekend. :)

Actually, we have young linemen already. I think we should sign an offensive lineman rather than spend a high pick on one.

A mid-late first rounder for a 3rd overall in a two year old draft isn't too much of a price, I don't think.  I'm just wondering, was Richardson's draft position scrutinized when he was picked?  I honestly don't remember.  If so, does anyone see a pattern regarding DHB and Trent?  Over drafted players that we get at a (semi) reduced price.  I really hope this works out, as the running back corps looks like a strength now with T. Rich, Bradshaw, and Ballard when he returns.  Now if only we could protect our quarterback and open lanes for these backs. 

I think it's a good trade.  I know we've started a bit rocky (and it's going to continue for a bit) but we're a borderline playoff team.  If our 1st round pick is outside of the top 12, I think we made a great trade.  The Browns are clearly wanting one of the top players of the 2014 draft (Bridgewater, Manziel, maybe Clowney) and wanted ammo to trade up should they not "earn" the #1 overall pick.

Trent didn't have a great YPC last year, but look at his offense.  He was it.  No elite receiver to speak of and Weeden doesn't scare teams.  We have Luck. Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, DHB, and Coby Fleener.  Teams wont be stacking the box against us constantly (unless we line up in a jumbo set every play......).  I think Richardson has a chance to flourish.  This is the best RB we've had since Edge. He's young, and he's good in every facet of the game.  He runs hard, is great out of the backfield as a receiver, and blocks very well for a young back.

The only way this trade isn't completely in our favor (barring an injury to TRich) is if we're really bad and end up with a top 8 pick.   I severely doubt that happens. 

A mid-late first rounder for a 3rd overall in a two year old draft isn't too much of a price, I don't think.  I'm just wondering, was Richardson's draft position scrutinized when he was picked?  I honestly don't remember.  If so, does anyone see a pattern regarding DHB and Trent?  Over drafted players that we get at a (semi) reduced price.  I really hope this works out, as the running back corps looks like a strength now with T. Rich, Bradshaw, and Ballard when he returns.  Now if only we could protect our quarterback and open lanes for these backs. 

I didn't like the idea of drafting a RB #3 overall, personally. I don't think a RB is worthy of a first rounder at all, much less a #3. If we make the playoffs, this is a low first rounder. But I'm still concerned about the cost, moving forward.

I like it. He's young and talented and we now have a nucleus on offense that can grow together.  I will LOVE it if we have a decent season and the pick is later in the first round. Normally i am not a fan of going RB in a first round in todays NFL, but like it or not thats the type of offense we seem to want to use so might as well get the best available talent we can.

His draft position was scrutinized because of his position. Not his talents. 

He was being called a once in a generation player sort of like LT or AP before the draft.

I like it. He's young and talented and we now have a nucleus on offense that can grow together.  I will LOVE it if we have a decent season and the pick is later in the first round. Normally i am not a fan of going RB in a first round in todays NFL, but like it or not thats the type of offense we seem to want to use so might as well get the best available talent we can.

we do NOT have the line to be a power running team, no matter who the back is......obviously