Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you like the Richardson trade?

Superman

Do you like this trade?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like that we gave up a 2014 1st rounder for Richardson?

• Yes, I like it
    • No, I don't like it
    • I'm torn; he's a good player, but the price is too steep

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. He's young and talented and we now have a nucleus on offense that can grow together.  I will LOVE it if we have a decent season and the pick is later in the first round. Normally i am not a fan of going RB in a first round in todays NFL, but like it or not thats the type of offense we seem to want to use so might as well get the best available talent we can.

I agree!! But running backs get hurt a lot. It's also contingent on well the o-line blocks to.  

I think it's a good trade.  I know we've started a bit rocky (and it's going to continue for a bit) but we're a borderline playoff team.  If our 1st round pick is outside of the top 12, I think we made a great trade.  The Browns are clearly wanting one of the top players of the 2014 draft (Bridgewater, Manziel, maybe Clowney) and wanted ammo to trade up should they not "earn" the #1 overall pick.

Trent didn't have a great YPC last year, but look at his offense.  He was it.  No elite receiver to speak of and Weeden doesn't scare teams.  We have Luck. Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, DHB, and Coby Fleener.  Teams wont be stacking the box against us constantly (unless we line up in a jumbo set every play......).  I think Richardson has a chance to flourish.  This is the best RB we've had since Edge. He's young, and he's good in every facet of the game.  He runs hard, is great out of the backfield as a receiver, and blocks very well for a young back.

The only way this trade isn't completely in our favor (barring an injury to TRich) is if we're really bad and end up with a top 8 pick.   I severely doubt that happens. 

I couldn't agree more!!!!!

Hard to choose between options 1 and 3.  I really like Richardson, but I don't like trading away early draft picks.  But if we have a good season and make the playoffs, it's very possible that Trent is a better player than anyone we could get at the back end of the first round.

I agree that I don't like giving away early draft picks either, but I feel this one is the exception. Richardson was the 3rd overall pick last year, right behind luck and rg3, he easily could've been the #1 pick this year if he stayed his senior year. He's proven himself last year that he could make the transition to the NFL which is hit or miss for a lot of RB's. And most importantly, He's 22 years old!!! He's practically a veteran at a rookies age.

We where not going to win this year with this team so why waste a draft pick

Richardson is from the same draft class as Luck...I don't remember people saying "we wont win this year anyhow...why take Luck?"...they are young and can grow together, and Richardson is the best RB we have had BY FAR since before Edge hurt his knee

I like it... a first rounder is expensive, but he is a stud, for sure. I think it should now be safe to say that the Colts got the most talent (by far) out of the 2012 draft class.. Luck, Richardson, Allen, T.Y., Fleener... not to mention Ballard and Chapman... Who got more from that class? and don't say Washington, because its not close...

Should be the best Qb Rb duo in the league now

Yeah, it's probably Luck/T-Rich, Schaub/Foster, Wilson/Lynch and Ryan/Jackson when it comes to the best QB/RB duos.

EDIT: Superman said it too, Griffin/Morris probably rounds out the top 5.

I like it...the ESPN comment section is blowing up with "why would the Browns do this?" and "that's why they're the Browns..." Stuff like that. The consensus is the Browns just went into full-on tank the season mode. Just providing a little national perspective

I agree that I don't like giving away early draft picks either, but I feel this one is the exception. Richardson was the 3rd overall pick last year, right behind luck and rg3, he easily could've been the #1 pick this year if he stayed his senior year. He's proven himself last year that he could make the transition to the NFL which is hit or miss for a lot of RB's. And most importantly, He's 22 years old!!! He's practically a veteran at a rookies age.

Sounds a lot like Luck

I like it...the ESPN comment section is blowing up with "why would the Browns do this?" and "that's why they're the Browns..." Stuff like that. The consensus is the Browns just went into full-on tank the season mode. Just providing a little national perspective

Just because the Browns lose doesn't mean we win. I still think the price is too steep. JMO

This is such a great trade for the Colts. I was never expecting such a big trade from this orginization. So used to the never take a risk regime we had for so many years, this breathes new life into this team. If you were told during the 2012 draft that we had traded the 1st round pick in 2014 for the #3 overall pick. I think 100% of the couch GM's out there would have taken Richardson. With a nucleus of Luck, Richardson, Fleener and Hilton, we have a big time offense just waiting to be unleashed. And get Ballard and Allen back next year, LOOK OUT! Get excited Indy!!! :excited:

I'm hearing Trent was somewhat of an issue in Cleveland. Constantly begging for the ball, and wasn't mature really.

Idk if I reasd it correctly, but we will see.

He's the best player on the offense FX, you'd want the ball too haha and then also he's use to touching the ball a million times since he's from Bama

No one else was moving the chains. He'll get his self together here in Indy. I think he'll be relieved about not having to be the only one making plays

Richardson has potential and I do think he can be the difference maker needed for us to get to the playoffs. The pick was too a high price but cap wise we're getting a great deal for the future so it balances out. If the coaches can get out the best in richardson it will be a great move. As of right now, I'd say it was a good move.

we do NOT have the line to be a power running team, no matter who the back is......obviously

I don't disagree with you.  But like it or not, thats the style of offense that Pep is wanting to establish and it's only year 2 of a rebuild. There's still time to build the line that is needed.  Richardson is young, it's not like it's all or nothing this season.

I like this trade but I will say this, my worry is about our O line being able to consistently block well enough to let this guy really do what he's capable of and reach that full potential. I mean yeah he can still have an impact in other ways but would that impact be enough for giving up a first rounder? If we can get our blocking down and do it well consistently then this trade will be huge for us for a long time. But if we can't then I don't know that in the end this will really come out to be worth what we gave up. Just my thoughts.

I don't disagree with you.  But like it or not, thats the style of offense that Pep is wanting to establish and it's only year 2 of a rebuild. There's still time to build the line that is needed.  Richardson is young, it's not like it's all or nothing this season.

People keep forgetting we're only in year 2 of the rebuild.  Last season was not the norm of a rebuild in the first year.  Next year, with T-Rich, some o line additions, and a healthy receiving corps, Colts will be a force to be reckoned with. 

This was a great trade for us we weren't going to find anyone as good as Richardson in the late teens or 20's. With teams focusing on Luck and the passing attack their won't be any more 8 man boxes for Trent, he should have a big year. We still have our 2nd round pick and have 35 mil in cap space next year with players like Macklin,Alex Mack, and Orakpo available in free agency.