Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Out For Season (merge)

HtownColt

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's probably his biggest strength.

Brown is not good in pass protection (unless he has improved, which is possible).

Bradshaw is good in pass protection however and is one of his many strengths.

I see some differing opinions here lol.

But I know Bradshaw is great in pass-pro, but we need another guy there. Seems like most people here believe Brown is a solid backup for Bradshaw when it comes to pass-pro at least.

Big loss for the power running game, Ballard was a tough runner but the good that will come out of this is that Luck will be airing it out more and we won't be conservative.  Bradshaw,Brown, and Williams will be good enough to carry us through the season. I don't think the loss of Ballard will have a negative impact on the season at all because our offensive players are better in a passing system then a power running game.

yes he has, is he Joe Addai or Edge is pass protection no but he's gotten much better at it.

I think pass protection is by far Brown's biggest weakness when it comes to the RB position. JMO.

He has pass catching abilities (although he struggles here at times too) and I've always liked Brown as runner (which I know I'm the anomaly in this opinion). 

yes, despite the moment with Peyton it has grown into one of the stronger parts of his game and several experts this off-season said he's better at pass blocking than Ballard was.

Yeah Ballard wanted to work on his PP this offseason and was 6/6 on blitz pick-ups on sunday, 

I see some differing opinions here lol.

But I know Bradshaw is great in pass-pro, but we need another guy there. Seems like most people here believe Brown is a solid backup for Bradshaw when it comes to pass-pro at least.

Browns biggest attributes are his pass blocking and speed.

Does anyone know if he can be designated for return or is he done for the season?EDIT Htown just answered my q 

Big loss for the power running game, Ballard was a tough runner but the good that will come out of this is that Luck will be airing it out more and we won't be conservative.  Bradshaw,Brown, and Williams will be good enough to carry us through the season. I don't think the loss of Ballard will have a negative impact on the season at all because our offensive players are better in a passing system then a power running game.

I doubt it changes Pep's approach at all. The whole "pep is too conservative' mantra on this forum is silly.

I think pass protection is by far Brown's biggest weakness when it comes to the RB position. JMO.

He has pass catching abilities (although he struggles here at times too) and I've always liked Brown as runner (which I know I'm the anomaly in this opinion).

no it's not. It was when he first got here but it has improved greatly since then to the point it's one of the things he does better now. Again, just about any Colts writer when asked about who is the best back at protecting Luck said Brown.

Whoever tackled Ballard in the knees in practice needs beat down. 

I'm just kidding, but sunuva!! This sucks!! He is an awesome RB. 

I guess we'll get to see more Williams now. 

I bet we go to passing alot more.....which is fine with me!! 

Gravity is to blame, not a player.

Yeah, just sucks it took an injury to one of our top player's to wake Pep Hamilton up and realize we should pass more smh

pagano said it was a freak no contact injury when he planted his foot when running his knee just went out so beating up Ballard right now would be adding injury to injury.

On a more serious note Pagano did say the play is bring Williams up from the PS.

Yeah, just sucks it took an injury to one of our top player's to wake Pep Hamilton up and realize we should pass more smh

When did Pep realize this?

If you adjust for sacks and scrambles, the Colts had a split of about 60-40% pass to run last week.

What do you think Brown's biggest weakness is?

vision when running and not getting extra yards when he goes into a pile. I loved how Ballard always seemed to go into a pile and pop out on the side of it for three extra yards where Browns tends to get eaten up in the pile. Also brown isn't going to run over anyone.

vision when running and not getting extra yards when he goes into a pile. I loved how Ballard always seemed to go into a pile and pop out on the side of it for three extra yards where Browns tends to get eaten up in the pile. Also brown isn't going to run over anyone.

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree?

I do agree however, you're not going to see Brown run anyone over. He's more likely to run around them with his speed.

I doubt it changes Pep's approach at all. The whole "pep is too conservative' mantra on this forum is silly.

especially when it's been proven we threw the ball at a almost 2:1 ratio to running it from the time we went up 14-0 to the time we were down 17-14. Not moving the ball doesn't always equal being conservative.

Ballard is the only big bruising back on the team will still run but will be in more 3,4,and 5WR sets. Pep trying to force feed Ballard is why we almost loss to the Raiders, if we would have kept passing we would have blew them out. Luck passing for 178 yards will never happen again should be 250+ from now on.

I hope this Williams kid is for real. With Bradshaw on a snap count in last weeks game is he ready to carry the load? Brown now will get plenty of touches, so this is gonna be his time to show us he deserves to stay in Indy. I feel for Ballard good hard nosed run and turned into a decent blocker. Dag gum it this bites us in the rear...

I agree, though I could see them looking for another more powerful back to replace Williams with and put Williams back on the PS.

I could see that too. I think it will have a lot to do with the effectiveness of Brown and Bradshaw. There's not a whole lot out there, and I'm not sure someone like Turner or McGahee is a huge upgrade. Bradshaw can run with power and DB is a good one-cut runner, which I think will fit in well with Pep's scheme. DB has some nice runs in the preseason. I think the real question is how soon is Bradshaw going to be healthy enough for 15-20 touches, and can Brown carry the load in the meantime and show he is capable of producing at a high level. Williams is interesting, but I'm not sure how he fits in. I can't imagine his pass pro is good enough for him to play the third down back roll. I think it would take another injury for him to see significant playing time unless in mop-up duty.