Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Out For Season (merge)

HtownColt

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are going to have one heck of a time trying to run the ball to be honest, The plan was to bring back Bradshaw slowly....Obviously means coaches did not think he was fully ready, No OTA's/TC or Pre season, it takes time, Brown is a decent Back but he is not a make you miss Back or a power running back, He is a darter  who is easy to bring down........Just real unfortunate, I loved being able to run it down Oaklands throat........A couple rb's I'd look at

1.Tim Highttower

2.Willis Mcgahee

3.Beanie Wells

I would not bring Williams off the PS because then we would have 3 Backs sure.....But 3 Backs with not a alot of power(Bradshaw has some but he is by no means a Jamal Lewis or Jerome Bettis) especially with Bradshaw not being 100 percent ready

What? You can have endless amounts? Right, I'm off to pray for 3 new O-Linemen, and great pass rushers, two sold DE's, Vince Wilfork junior, and that Jim Irsay's tweeter account gets a fatal corruption.

That's pushing it. Water into wine? Sure, but don't get carried away. haha

Okay I worded that wrong. I meant I'm "hoping" now we run more 3 WR sets to help set the run up And so forth. I believe having TY; Reggie and DHB on the field at once is more dangerous than just having Reggie & DHB. Hope Pep Hamilton realizes this as well and uses the 3 WR sets more and run out of them more as well to keep the defense off balance.

Hope that clears it up better for you

I would like to see 3 wr sets, but I also like the 2 TE sets, 2 back sets etc.  We have a lot of dynamic, versatile personnel, Wayne, DHB, Hilton, Fleener, Allen, etc.  They can, and hopefully will, use a lot of different formations and run and pass out of each type of formation.  The more they do that the less predictable they become.  I definitely DON'T think we need to be a primarily 3 WR team like we were during most of the Manning years.

I think we are going to have one heck of a time trying to run the ball to be honest, The plan was to bring back Bradshaw slowly....Obviously means coaches did not think he was fully ready, No OTA's/TC or Pre season, it takes time, Brown is a decent Back but he is not a make you miss Back or a power running back, He is a darter  who is easy to bring down........Just real unfortunate, I loved being able to run it down Oaklands throat........A couple rb's I'd look at

1.Tim Highttower

2.Willis Mcgahee

3.Beanie Wells

I would not bring Williams off the PS because then we would have 3 Backs sure.....But 3 Backs with not a alot of power(Bradshaw has some but he is by no means a Jamal Lewis or Jerome Bettis) especially with Bradshaw not being 100 percent ready

Well I don't see them doing that at this point because at the very least, Williams knows the playbook.  I also don't think we necessarily need a bruising type of back to still be a power running team.  I think Brown can be very effective in a power running team so long as the OL holds up...which obviously is a big question mark but as you pointed out in another thread, they did a pretty good job run blocking last week.

I would like to see 3 wr sets, but I also like the 2 TE sets, 2 back sets etc. We have a lot of dynamic, versatile personnel, Wayne, DHB, Hilton, Fleener, Allen, etc. They can, and hopefully will, use a lot of different formations and run and pass out of each type of formation. The more they do that the less predictable they become. I definitely DON'T think we need to be a primarily 3 WR team like we were during most of the Manning years.

Don't mind the 2 TE set. But that 1 WR with 6 linemen is an epic fail and needs to stop. Our oline isn't built for that at all. Although Thornton looked good in it but with McGlynn there it will fail every time.

I think we are going to have one heck of a time trying to run the ball to be honest, The plan was to bring back Bradshaw slowly....Obviously means coaches did not think he was fully ready, No OTA's/TC or Pre season, it takes time, Brown is a decent Back but he is not a make you miss Back or a power running back, He is a darter who is easy to bring down........Just real unfortunate, I loved being able to run it down Oaklands throat........A couple rb's I'd look at

1.Tim Highttower

2.Willis Mcgahee

3.Beanie Wells

I would not bring Williams off the PS because then we would have 3 Backs sure.....But 3 Backs with not a alot of power(Bradshaw has some but he is by no means a Jamal Lewis or Jerome Bettis) especially with Bradshaw not being 100 percent ready

1. Tim Hightower is garbage

2. Mcgahee is broken down

3. Beanie Wells is garbage and fumbles easily. I'll take our current 3 over them :thanks:

No!  :(

I hope Bradshaw is the real deal in blitz pickup.  Welcome back Kerwynn Williams

Ballard was 6 for 6 in blitz pickup last week.  I hope Bradshaw is healthy enough to handle it....I know even if not he will give 110%   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!  

Get well soon Vick.... :thmup:  Gonna be a tough row to hoe!!  

3. Beanie Wells is garbage and fumbles easily. I'll take our current 3 over them :thanks:

1.Tim Hightower-his healthiest season which came 2009 he ran 143 times and got 598 yards out of it for 4.2 ypc and ran for 8 td's, He also had 63 more receptions, He had a similar year in 2010...He is not garbage, his issue is health

2.Wells started 14 games in 2011-He ran for 1047 yards on 245 carries, had 10 rushing td's......Far from garbage

3.Mcahee is a power back that would not have to carry the load, Jason La Canfora reported Mcgahee was in great shape

Right now we need another Back......Williams is not ready to be that Back now

Where is your fact/source behind that statement. Maybe in 2009 yea but now he is good at it.

Here is a little something saying he is good in pass protection based off his 2011 season:

Snaps: 72

Reads: 62 good, 4 bad

Blocks: 52 positive, 4 poor, 4 missed

Pressure: 2 hits, 0 hurries, 2 sacks

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2012-archives/july/running-back-pass-protection-donald-brown-is-the-biggest-bust-of-all-time.html

When I have watched him, any defensive player goes through him like a knife through butter.

Is Brown any good in pass protection?

underrated... many will have you believe that he is awful in pass pro (Darnit Donald), but he is average... even decent... his biggest weakness is lack of vision...

I think he's a good #2 back.. I guess the issue is that I also think Bradshaw is a good #2 back... same could have been said about Ballard before injury..

Really sucks about Ballard I really like his running style. The Colts made the right move bring Williams up, knows the play book, but I think we will need another back considering Bradshaw, is just coming off injury, & looked a little rusty to me Sunday, & isn't ready or prepared to carry the load. I like Browns speed & I think he will play well, but not the same type of back. Williams I am not as high has most about his ability. We will need another guy. I saw some names Turner too fat, Hightower, sucks, Beanie Wells not very tough, I would look at Mcgahee I would look at as a stop gap he runs tough!

1.Tim Hightower-his healthiest season which came 2009 he ran 143 times and got 598 yards out of it for 4.2 ypc and ran for 8 td's, He also had 63 more receptions, He had a similar year in 2010...He is not garbage, his issue is health

2.Wells started 14 games in 2011-He ran for 1047 yards on 245 carries, had 10 rushing td's......Far from garbage

3.Mcahee is a power back that would not have to carry the load, Jason La Canfora reported Mcgahee was in great shape

1. Not a terrible idea...he has always shown flashes but has issues staying healthy. He's not a bruiser though.

2. Wells' knee is shot from all the rumblings I've heard. He was tried out and evaluated by multiple teams and all passed on him. I heard it was because his knee is pretty much done.

3. Willis, the best of the three, but IDK what sort of impact he would have immediately. He would need to know the playbook.

4. Turner--lug, lug, lug, lug. He really declined quickly the last two seasons.

5. Carter--this would be my choice IF we need to bring someone in.

I think we roll with AB, DB, and KW, and if one of them gets hurt, Carter will make a reappearance. 

Really sucks about Ballard I really like his running style. The Colts made the right move bring Williams up, knows the play book, but I think we will need another back considering Bradshaw, is just coming off injury, & looked a little rusty to me Sunday, & isn't ready or prepared to carry the load. I like Browns speed & I think he will play well, but not the same type of back. Williams I am not as high has most about his ability. We will need another guy. I saw some names Turner too fat, Hightower, sucks, Beanie Wells not very tough, I would look at Mcgahee I would look at as a stop gap he runs tough!

No no no he fumbles.

This one hurts.

I really like Ballard. I expected him to take over the starting job last year and I was really hoping and even expecting a leap this year.

This one hurts the team. The pressure is on Ahmad Bradshaw and this means more Brown.

Also, I expect the Colts to bring up Kerwynn WIlliams instead of sign a free agent off the street.

Talk about pick your poison all of them are awful. 

We don't need another back off the streets.

It's a next man up kind of thing. They'll bring up Bradshaw to number 1, and Brown can be the number 2 guy. It works out well, surprisingly, and the Colts can bring Kerwynn to the roster and make him the #3 as well as a special teamer (not returner).

I really like Vick, but this isn't an injury that can kill the offense. It hurts a bit, but they can easily recover from this, especially if Bradshaw does well. 

THERE IS NO NEED TO BRING IN A GUY OFF THE STREET.

Agree on Wells.  I don't know that McGahee ever showed that he was broken down.  He had some awfully effective games last year, he's just always had questionable effort and motivation.  The attitude is definitely the main reason I'd steer clear.

I actually think Hightower is a good Ballard analogue if healthy.  He runs hard and has historically been fairly effective albeit unspectacular even when running behind bad offensive lines.  He's also a solid receiver and a good pass protector.  For a mid-season pickup he's a reasonable option iff he's back to form after the knee injury (incidentally the same injury as Ballard).

I'm so gutted about this :(

I'm disappointed for Ballard, I'm disappointed for the Colts and I'm disappointed for myself.

I think the loss of Ballard hurts us a lot but I don't think we should bother looking for someone else. Split Ballard's carries between Bradshaw and Brown.

Does this mean that we could activate Williams from the practise squad?

Sucks for Ballard, that sounds like a freak injury. I feel very comfy with Bradshaw taking the reigns, but aslong as he can stay injury-free.  Otherwise I would love for Grigs to go after Khiry Robinson from the Saints, give him a chance.  He was a beast in preseason for the Saints.