4 28 (127) Jacob Tamme TE Kentucky

5 26 (161) Marcus Howard OLB Georgia

6 30 (196) Tom Santi TE Virginia

6* 35 (201) Steve Justice C Wake Forest

6* 36 (202) Mike Hart RB Michigan

6* 39 (205) Pierre Garcon WR Mount Union

7 29 (236) Jamey Richard C Buffalo

This Draft always kills me.. Smh.

Wait wait wait...How does this draft kill you?

Pollak - Still in the league

Wheeler - Still in the league

Garcon - Still in the league

Tamme - Still in the league

Hart - In the imaginary Hall of Fame 

2007 I can understand, but looking at the 2008 draft and seeing who's still in the league it honestly was a B- level draft.

2007 I can understand, but looking at the 2008 draft and seeing who's still in the league it honestly was a B- level draft.

Marcus Howard is a star in the CFL

there is 2 parts to that equation however....Just 5 year slater how many of those players are still with us

there is 2 parts to that equation however....Just 5 year slater how many of those players are still with us

There's 3 parts...Can't control what other teams offer our players if they want them. Once they hit free agency (unrestricted that is) they're out of our control and it's up to them.

If we could have kept Garcon we would have, but can't keep everyone. The fact they've been in the league as long as they have is amazing enough.

Both years are bad considering they left the colts for small contracts etc.... It wasn't like those draft picks became stars and we didn't have enough money to resign them!!

Left the Colts? They were all contributing players on some very good teams, who were let go as part of the change in management. It has little reflection on their abilities - particularly in the case of Garcon and Tamme. Others on the list played smaller rolls as well. Also factor in the lack of a first round pick when comparing head to head.

And as long as we're :deadhorse: I'll add that 2007 might have well been an above average draft if not for injuries and one guy's wierd affliction. Not just at the top. Session was a contributor, and Dawson got his feet wet.

Now as long as we're doing pointless random moaning about drafts, how about 1978! That was a bad one!

Pollak - Still in the league - And still sucks

Wheeler - Still in the league - Decent player

Garcon - Still in the league - The best out of this draft, but what does that say when the best player you find comes with your 4'th 6'th round pick?

Tamme - Still in the league - Had some decent moments, but is mediocre, at best.

Sorry, but that draft was atrocious, like most of the Polians' drafts, towards the end of their tenure.

We drafted three offensive linemen. None of them played well for us. Two of them are out of the league. Howard never did anything.

Wheeler came on slow, then had a good year and left in free agency. Tamme came on in year 3. Hart never stayed on the field. Garcon was a really good pick.

There's no way I'd give this draft a B-, not with the benefit of hindsight. Truth is we got very little out of this draft over the last five seasons.

Pollak - Still in the league - And still sucks

Wheeler - Still in the league - Decent player

Garcon - Still in the league - The best out of this draft, but what does that say when the best player you find comes with your 4'th 6'th round pick?

Tamme - Still in the league - Had some decent moments, but is mediocre, at best.

Sorry, but that draft was atrocious, like most of the Polians' drafts, towards the end of their tenure.

I don't think you understand how hard it is to actually stay in the league that long...

As for best player in the latter rounds arguement......You really want to stand on that branch? All the players drafted in the latter rounds who went on to be decent players, good players, great players and even hall of fame players would like to have a quick word with you.

I don't think you understand how hard it is to actually stay in the league that long...

As for best player in the latter rounds arguement......You really want to stand on that branch? All the players drafted in the latter rounds who went on to be decent players, good players, great players and even hall of fame players would like to have a quick word with you.

agreed, if that was the case should fire whoever drafted that Tom Brady guy in the sixth round when he came out, I mean they didn't get anyone better than him in the five rounds before it!

I guess there is no horse dead enough that someone here can't come along and decide to kick it several hundred more times......

Where does this hate come from......?

Not only did Polian oversee the Colts having the best record in the NFL for a window of roughly 10-12 years,  I think in that time frame they won more games than any other team ever has in the history of the NFL.   The man must've been doing something right?!

And yet, for some.....    it's never going to be enough......

I guess there is no horse dead enough that someone here can't come along and decide to kick it several hundred more times......

Not only did Polian oversee the Colts having the best record in the NFL for a window of roughly 10-12 years, I think in that time frame they won more games than any other team ever has in the history of the NFL. The man must've been doing something right?!

And yet, for some..... it's never going to be enough......

week 16, I got over it a long time ago but some never will.

Not only did Polian oversee the Colts having the best record in the NFL for a window of roughly 10-12 years,  I think in that time frame they won more games than any other team ever has in the history of the NFL.   The man must've been doing something right?!

There are always two sides of the Polian debate. Yes the positive things you bring up is true. On the flip side is the negatives. For 14 years we did enjoy regular season greatness no doubt. All but two of those years we were all treated to a team that had heartbreaking loses in the playoffs. The Colts dominated a very weak division and it showed in the playoffs. The one and only super bowl happened when lightning stuck and the Colts played as a team. Manning carried this team on his back without help from a balanced team. We lost in the playoffs due to not having the tools to win. Great offence cant overcome a less than average defense, less than average running game and even less special teams play. The old saying every dog has his day is true for the Colts in the two super bowl runs. Polians lifetime record in super bowl bids is 1-17. The Colts will forever be known as the team who couldn't win the ones that counted. Right or wrong success is measured in championships. The Colts had what some would say is one of the greatest QBs in history but very little to show for it but regular season stats. That lays at Polian feet. 

There are always two sides of the Polian debate. Yes the positive things you bring up is true. On the flip side is the negatives. For 14 years we did enjoy regular season greatness no doubt. All but two of those years we were all treated to a team that had heartbreaking loses in the playoffs. The Colts dominated a very weak division and it showed in the playoffs. The one and only super bowl happened when lightning stuck and the Colts played as a team. Manning carried this team on his back without help from a balanced team. We lost in the playoffs due to not having the tools to win. Great offence cant overcome a less than average defense, less than average running game and even less special teams play. The old saying every dog has his day is true for the Colts in the two super bowl runs. Polians lifetime record in super bowl bids is 1-17. The Colts will forever be known as the team who couldn't win the ones that counted. Right or wrong success is measured in championships. The Colts had what some would say is one of the greatest QBs in history but very little to show for it but regular season stats. That lays at Polian feet.

PEYTON MANNING JIM KELLY both made POLIAN look LIKE A GENIOUS they covered up many bad drafts the only thing I will say POLIAN was right about is free agency success comes from drafting. Free agency is like a box of chocolates you never no what your going to get

There's 3 parts...Can't control what other teams offer our players if they want them. Once they hit free agency (unrestricted that is) they're out of our control and it's up to them.

If we could have kept Garcon we would have, but can't keep everyone. The fact they've been in the league as long as they have is amazing enough.

Yes we definitely could not afford to pay Garcon 9 mil. TY is just as productive and for a lot less.

Because his teams still underachieved in the grand scheme.  The Colts should have won more titles in the Manning era then they did. He often refused to address obvious weaknesses, almost like he was more interested in proving a point on how right he was then to admit maybe he was wrong and needed to fix a thing or two. Sure, they won a lot of games.  That happens with Manning at QB.  He went to Denver after not playing for a year and in a whole new organization with new  teammates and still won.  Manning carried the team and masked the weaknesses for years.  I always said we were a 3 win team without Manning while Polian was being praised as a genius, i was wrong, we could only win 2 without Peyton.

Because his teams still underachieved in the grand scheme.  The Colts should have won more titles in the Manning era then they did. He often refused to address obvious weaknesses, almost like he was more interested in proving a point on how right he was then to admit maybe he was wrong and needed to fix a thing or two. Sure, they won a lot of games.  That happens with Manning at QB.  He went to Denver after not playing for a year and in a whole new organization with new  teammates and still won.  Manning carried the team and masked the weaknesses for years.  I always said we were a 3 win team without Manning while Polian was being praised as a genius, i was wrong, we could only win 2 without Peyton.

I will say, Polian did a lot right, but he was far from perfect.

My biggest issue with Polian was his stance on Free Agency.  He practically refused to touch Free Agency unless it was a sure thing.  He did land us Vinatieri, so there is that.  But otherwise, he completely overlooked potential additions that could have been made to shore up some weaknesses.  And I am not talking 10+ million dollar a season type of players, I am talking about the 2-4 million a year type of players that one can easily justify adding to a roster.

I'll look no further than our current roster to see our addition of Cory Redding, who the Colts could have had a couple of years ago for 6 million over 2 years:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5018186

Those kinds of additions would have made monumental improvements to our squad.  We were so weak at DT, it wasn't even funny.  But, instead of doing that, Polian goes after someone who was cut for showing up to camp out of shape, in Corey Simon, and hands him a monster deal that cap strapped us.  I liked the move at the time, but when you consider the other options, we would've been better off finding a solid guy like Redding, and hope that he booms a little more than just solid play.

All in all, I am happy with the current way things are going.  We've made additions through FA, but very few have the potential to strap us in the future.  I just wish Polian was a bit more open minded.  Manning could've seen several more SB had Polian not been so caught up with his success, that was primarily all due to one draft pick that he got very, very right.

2007 was pretty bad.  2008 wasn't that bad.  A lot of those guys are still in the league, just not in Indy.  Anyone know what years Chris drafted instead of Bill?

The thing is, at the time, I was stoked about the 2007 draft.  On paper, it was great.  

1 32 (32) Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio State

A WR who had a great college career with no injury history in college.  He pretty much should have been one of the better slot receivers in the league out of the gates and possibly groomed as Marvin's replacement...well, as Reggie's replacement so that Reggie could replace Marvin, but you know what I mean.

2 10 (42) Tony Ugoh T Arkansas

The best LT left on the board and from what I recall, the best LT in the 2nd tier group, and by 2nd tier group I mean guys who were not ready to start right away but should turn into a quality player with at least a year of development first.  And that was the plan, bring him in, sit him behind Tarik for a year and develop so that he could be the starter in his 2nd year.  However, Tarik threw the wrench in the works by retiring that summer instead so Ugoh was thrown to the wolves as a starter from day 1.  It didn't work.  Some guys thrive in the "baptism by fire" scenario and some don't.  

3 31 (95) Daymeion Hughes CB California

He was being considered a late 1st to early 2nd round pick through most of the draft and was a very solid playmaking CB with Cal.  I think slower than expected combine numbers were what led to him dropping into the 3rd and that really isn't a make or break thing for us since we were such a zone heavy defense at the time.  I was very excited when we were able to get him.  

3* 34 (98) Quinn Pitcock DT Ohio State

A very solid DT that we hadn't ever really had until Booger McFarland.  Very easily could have developed into a solid interior lineman which would have helped our defense tremendously....had he not succumbed to video game addiction. 

Three of these top 4 picks busted for reasons that could not have been foreseen by whichever Polian made the selection.  Yes, in the grand scheme of things and with the benefit of hindsight, they turned out to be busts.  However, I find it difficult to blame the Polians for these guys busting because really, Hughes is the only one that proved to not have the talent that he was believed to have had...either that, or our secondary coaches did a lousy job of coaching him.

Yeah, I remember that center parade :).

The question is, how many of them are still starters in this league outside Garcon and Tamme in that 2008 draft?

Polian sure did know to draft skill positions for the most part. The trenches, from his Bills days, got dominated when it came to the playoffs, just my observation.

Yeah, I remember that center parade :).

The question is, how many of them are still starters in this league outside Garcon and Tamme in that 2008 draft?

Polian sure did know to draft skill positions for the most part. The trenches, from his Bills days, got dominated when it came to the playoffs, just my observation.

Wheeler. 

I tried to stay out of this thread because I didn't think it had any positive criticism and wasn't relavant in any way, other than bashing the previous regime.  But this "We deseverd to win more SBs" argument gets to me. 

The NFL isn't Madden, you can't load your team.  You have to make choices with contracts.  Some of those don't work out.  No team is perfect.  Also, no team had more consistent success during the Polian reign.  Yes, other teams had more SBs, and they also had more down years. 

I really don't want to re-hash this, and I'm no Polian apologist.  I'll just say that IMHO, we had the best team in the league and missed out on the SB one time.  Some may argue it was twice, and I can see that too.  But everyone has to agree that the only way you can win a SB is by making the playoffs.  That always should be the priority for any team.  It worked out pretty well for us.

The thing is, at the time, I was stoked about the 2007 draft.  On paper, it was great.  

1 32 (32) Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio State

A WR who had a great college career with no injury history in college.  He pretty much should have been one of the better slot receivers in the league out of the gates and possibly groomed as Marvin's replacement...well, as Reggie's replacement so that Reggie could replace Marvin, but you know what I mean.

2 10 (42) Tony Ugoh T Arkansas

The best LT left on the board and from what I recall, the best LT in the 2nd tier group, and by 2nd tier group I mean guys who were not ready to start right away but should turn into a quality player with at least a year of development first.  And that was the plan, bring him in, sit him behind Tarik for a year and develop so that he could be the starter in his 2nd year.  However, Tarik threw the wrench in the works by retiring that summer instead so Ugoh was thrown to the wolves as a starter from day 1.  It didn't work.  Some guys thrive in the "baptism by fire" scenario and some don't.  

3 31 (95) Daymeion Hughes CB California

He was being considered a late 1st to early 2nd round pick through most of the draft and was a very solid playmaking CB with Cal.  I think slower than expected combine numbers were what led to him dropping into the 3rd and that really isn't a make or break thing for us since we were such a zone heavy defense at the time.  I was very excited when we were able to get him.  

3* 34 (98) Quinn Pitcock DT Ohio State

A very solid DT that we hadn't ever really had until Booger McFarland.  Very easily could have developed into a solid interior lineman which would have helped our defense tremendously....had he not succumbed to video game addiction. 

Three of these top 4 picks busted for reasons that could not have been foreseen by whichever Polian made the selection.  Yes, in the grand scheme of things and with the benefit of hindsight, they turned out to be busts.  However, I find it difficult to blame the Polians for these guys busting because really, Hughes is the only one that proved to not have the talent that he was believed to have had...either that, or our secondary coaches did a lousy job of coaching him.

I agree with your comment and had no problem with any single pick that Polian made. Mostly because I never really followed college football and had no clue who was what in the regard. My comment was made as a blanket statement over the whole coarse of Polians time with the Colts and even before with the Bills and the Panthers.