Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Is It With People Thinking T.Y. Will Be The #2?

Cody wrote it on rant...

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/05/21/t-y-hilton-will-be-dangerous-as-likely-number-two-receiver-for-indianapolis-colts/

"For the 2013 season, Hilton is likely to see his targets increase from last season. In terms of percentage of targets in 2012, Hilton ranked third on the Colts behind Wayne and Donnie Avery. With Avery no longer being on the team, though, that’s likely to put Hilton in the number two receiver spot..."

???

The 2 is obviously DHB's. Is anyone else seeing T.Y. Hilton beating out DHB for the 2? Or even assume T.Y. is the heir apparent?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sign DHB to be the 3rd reciever, they brought him in to be the big outside deep threat. there is no way they take T.Y. out of the slot, he is to productive there to move him. I think the people that say he will be the # 2 are just looking at his numbers from last year and didn't watch the games to see how he got them.

Cody wrote it on rant...

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/05/21/t-y-hilton-will-be-dangerous-as-likely-number-two-receiver-for-indianapolis-colts/

???

The 2 is obviously DHB's. Is anyone else seeing T.Y. Hilton beating out DHB for the 2? Or even assume T.Y. is the heir apparent?

I can see him becoming a bit like Welker in NE. 1000 yard receiver from the slot. DHB is the Z receiver, no doubt. But we still need to find an heir apparent on the outside next offseason.

He could develop into it, but I doubt he will be a #2 in the near future.

DHB is clearly our #2 right now.

After this year, if we let DHB go to FA, we will likely draft a WR to be Reggies Heir Apparent as a WR#1.  That person will likely start off the 2014 season as the #2 WR and learn for a year until Reggie is done.  After that, TY Hilton will need a new contract but he could become a WR#2 in 2015.  

Or he could just stay in the slot.  

Guys, I see DHB on this team in 5 years just as much as Hilton. He (Hilton) is a little burner that fit Arians' mold. Not holding that against him but I did not see anything out of him last year that demands he be a Colt for life. He's a slot receiver. That's it. And if we're ever in a position where he is our 2....then IMO we made some personnel mistakes somewhere along the line. Just where I'm at right now. Hope he changes my mind.

I think TY stays in the slot where he's most effective.  However, I think there will be a true camp competition for the # 2 spot between DHB and LaVon Brazill.  Brazill's rookie season reminds me a bit of Garcon's, and he could be a real dark horse for that #2 WR position.  We'll see how the new offensive system looks, but it's possible that DHB's size and strength could work out better in the new offense...

They sign DHB to be the 3rd reciever, they brought him in to be the big outside deep threat. there is no way they take T.Y. out of the slot...

The "slot" is traditionally the 3rd receiver. I know some folks try to muddy the water and pretend those designations don't mean anything anymore but that is silly nonsense. If DHB was brought in to be a big, outside, deep threat then he is the 2.

I liked T.Y. in the slot last season, he did well. Just not understanding how anyone could possibly see him as our 2 this year. ;)

Ugh, why don't we let the coaches figure this out?

First and foremost, you want to know who our best slot receiver was last year?  I'll give you a hint, he's been with this team for 12 seasons.

TY was brought in on 3 WR sets, yes.  But he operated a good portion of snaps on the outside, with Wayne sliding inside.  Those who refer to TY as the slot guy are missing the concept of the slot guy.  The slot guy is not necessarily your #3 receiver.  The slot guy is the guy who gets slid into... yep, you guess it... the slot.

That being said, those who claim that DHB as our clear #2... hmm, so we sign a guy, in FA, to a 1 year contract, and he is assured the #2 spot?  For some reason, I thought players competed to earn starting positions.  What weird sport am I thinking of?

I'd say next season, the only sure spot is Reggie being on the field at all times (unless injured).  TY will have a shot to be the #2, just as DHB will.  Neither is going to be handed anything though.

The "slot" is traditionally the 3rd receiver. I know some folks try to muddy the water and pretend those designations don't mean anything anymore but that is silly nonsense. If DHB was brought in to be a big, outside, deep threat then he is the 2.

I liked T.Y. in the slot last season, he did well. Just not understanding how anyone could possibly see him as our 2 this year. ;)

I think Reggie was in the slot almost as much as TY last season. I don't know if Pep is going to continue moving him around.

I think Reggie was in the slot almost as much as TY last season. I don't know if Pep is going to continue moving him around.

I think he does, it maximized his skillset much more than constantly lining up on the left sideline every play, especially considering he isn't as fast as he was (I think people forget how fast he was in his prime). Someone with his array of moves should not be restricted to being forced deep or inside on every route.

This all really is very dependant on the type of offense you play, and the players at your disposal. NFL offenses have developed in such away that conventional terminology no longer applies to the same degree, but calling Hilton is slot receiver is still accurate based on his role within the team.

For instance, Welker was often the Z receiver for the Pats last year despite being between the hashs, because they only played one true wideout. So technically he wasn't in the slot, because there was no one outside him, but he still filled the position that a slot receiver fills.

Guys, I see DHB on this team in 5 years just as much as Hilton. He (Hilton) is a little burner that fit Arians' mold. Not holding that against him but I did not see anything out of him last year that demands he be a Colt for life. He's a slot receiver. That's it. And if we're ever in a position where he is our 2....then IMO we made some personnel mistakes somewhere along the line. Just where I'm at right now. Hope he changes my mind.

Gotta disagree....Hilton showed me a lot last year. He is a playmaker, pure and simple.

I think the original question has turned into multiple questions....

Let me put it this way....   When 2 WR are on the field, do you think it will be Wayne and DHB???  or Wayne and TY??

I think DHB is going to shine here and he will be the #2 WR.  

I think labeling our wr's wr#2 or slot wr is way premature at this point, Pep himself said they were not going to stick to one strict guideline of playcalling and they were going to give multiple looks, I expect our wr's to be moved around and substituted in different situations and for different play calls

^^THIS

It seems most of you are argueing 2 different points or are misusing the term #2.

The primary WR changes on each play & most plays is totally dependant on coverage. We had 1 veteran WR last year so most teams roll coverage to R Wayne. Thats why R Wayne was and will be our SLOT WR. 

R Wayne is constantly in motion because he alone can dictate coverage & is experienced enough to run routes in the middle of the field between NFL zones. Yes - this is something that would be nice for T.Y to learn - but that takes time. P Garcon came in as a speedster but was waaay more comfortable as an outside deep threat. This could be the same for T.Y - & with his rookie success - he actually has a leg to stand on.

So technically - T.Y & DBH are our Z & Y outside WRs. They will keep Safeties over the top & out of the box while R Wayne works the middle causing havoc like J Rice did. The term #2 is irrelevent unless you mean DBH is our #2 highest paid WR.

Yezzrr

^^THIS

It seems most of you are argueing 2 different points or are misusing the term #2.

The primary WR changes on each play & most plays is totally dependant on coverage. We had 1 veteran WR last year so most teams roll coverage to R Wayne. Thats why R Wayne was and will be our SLOT WR.

R Wayne is constantly in motion because he alone can dictate coverage & is experienced enough to run routes in the middle of the field between NFL zones. Yes - this is something that would be nice for T.Y to learn - but that takes time. P Garcon came in as a speedster but was waaay more comfortable as an outside deep threat. This could be the same for T.Y - & with his rookie success - he actually has a leg to stand on.

So technically - T.Y & DBH are our Z & Y outside WRs. They will keep Safeties over the top & out of the box while R Wayne works the middle causing havoc like J Rice did. The term #2 is irrelevent unless you mean DBH is our #2 highest paid WR.

Yezzrr

I appreciate the thought that went into this post and express similar sentiment but Hey Bey Bey has said himself he'll work as the X receiver

^^THIS

It seems most of you are argueing 2 different points or are misusing the term #2.

The primary WR changes on each play & most plays is totally dependant on coverage. We had 1 veteran WR last year so most teams roll coverage to R Wayne. Thats why R Wayne was and will be our SLOT WR. 

R Wayne is constantly in motion because he alone can dictate coverage & is experienced enough to run routes in the middle of the field between NFL zones. Yes - this is something that would be nice for T.Y to learn - but that takes time. P Garcon came in as a speedster but was waaay more comfortable as an outside deep threat. This could be the same for T.Y - & with his rookie success - he actually has a leg to stand on.

So technically - T.Y & DBH are our Z & Y outside WRs. They will keep Safeties over the top & out of the box while R Wayne works the middle causing havoc like J Rice did. The term #2 is irrelevent unless you mean DBH is our #2 highest paid WR.

Yezzrr

The 'Y' receiver plays on the inside.

2 and 3 are basically the same thing in now a days offenses since so many teams run multiple wr packages so it doesnt really matter what your considered on the depth chart you'll still see the field

I appreciate the thought that went into this post and express similar sentiment but Hey Bey Bey has said himself he'll work as the X receiver

Listen - everybody will do everything associated with their position. Everytime R Wayne lines up for a play - he wont be "the slot". All of our WRs will move around or else how can we "keep defenses guessing". Of course DBH will play the X Y or Z. Thats common sense & doesnt need to be stated.

My statement was strictly about last years base offense - 3WR 1TE 1RB.   

LOL!!!

Reggie will be the starting Right Outside Wide Receiver.

DHB will be the starting Left Outside Wide Receiver.

T.Y. will be the starting Slot Wide Receiver.

All of them (like every other WR and TE that we have) will be used differently depending on what packages are being run. That doesn't somehow change game day line-ups/rosters. Oi... :shifty:

Why draft K.Williams then?  It's obvious he is being brought in to return kicks/punts which would dislodge Hilton from that duty. If Hilton is not our #2 and sees significantly less balls his way, then we are wasting one of our best playmakers.

Listen - everybody will do everything associated with their position. Everytime R Wayne lines up for a play - he wont be "the slot". All of our WRs will move around or else how can we "keep defenses guessing". Of course DBH will play the X Y or Z. Thats common sense & doesnt need to be stated.

My statement was strictly about last years base offense - 3WR 1TE 1RB.   

I hope so, but this isn't last year's offense. Under Peyton, we rarely moved our split-end or flanker (Harrison/Wayne). There was a lot of pre-snap motion under Arians and it is one aspect of the offense that I loved. I hope to see it again this year, but there are no guarantees.

What I want is versatility and mismatches. The best offenses these days (Pats, Packers, NO) use a lot of spread stuff which does precisely that... create mismatches, and this relies on players fitting in multiple spots... I really hope that's the route we go down.

I hope so, but this isn't last year's offense. Under Peyton, we rarely moved our split-end or flanker (Harrison/Wayne). There was a lot of pre-snap motion under Arians and it is one aspect of the offense that I loved. I hope to see it again this year, but there are no guarantees.

What I want is versatility and mismatches. The best offenses these days (Pats, Packers, NO) use a lot of spread stuff which does precisely that... create mismatches, and this relies on players fitting in multiple spots... I really hope that's the route we go down.

I expect we will be going 3 and 4 wide a fair share(not as much as Arians did in my opinion) and I expect some trick plays from those formations, end arounds even a flea flicker, Quite a bit of things you can do

If we come out in 2 WR sets then TY will be the #2 wr. In a 3 WR set Wayne will most likely play in the slot and TY and DHB will play on the outside because of their speed.

Not sure about that either. Both he and DHB can take the top off. There may be cases this year where Reggie is on the bench in a 2 WR set.

It's great to have all these weapons and a QB accurate and smart enough to use them. But it still comes down to protection. A good Oline is what's going to stir this straw.