Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which team had the best draft?

I'd say it's a tie between the Bengals and Rams....Bengals could have possibly hit 3 future Pro Bowlers in Eifert, Bernard, and Hunt..The Rams filled big needs and got Austin and Ogletree who both could have major impacts, and are gamechangers on Offense and Defense...

Vikings followed by the Texans.

Vikings: Floyd, Rhodes, and Patterson

Texans: Hopkins, Swearinger, and Montgomery.

Texans may have got the best value for their picks for sure...I still think Cincy and St.Louis possibly added a couple Pro Bowlers each IMO.

Rams are right there with the two WVU receivers in Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey, also got Alec Ogletree at LB, and safety T.J McDonald from USC...They traded away a lot of picks, but they still have a mid 4th, 5th and 6th, along with and extra 6 @198...

Rams really got a great teandem in receivers with Austin the deep threat and Bailey more of a Reggie Wayne type...Sam Bradford must be in heaven right now. Now, if he could only get a line that can keep him on his feet...lol

I'm not that big a fan of the Vikings draft, honestly. I thought Floyd was really overrated from the get go and he's going to have trouble maintaining an above average NFL career because his game is primarily based off of his first step (which is always the first thing to go) and he's got T-rex arms that allow linemen to get to his body easier.

Also, I have doubts they'll be able to develop Patterson properly because I don't know if Ponder's got the vertical arm strength to utilize his speed and he's quite raw. I know they want him to play the Percy Harvin role, but Percy was much more polished coming out of Florida. There's potential there, but it's more of a gamble than I like to take in the first.

Rhodes, I like. I'm glad we got Werner because we needed a pass rusher, but Xavier's a fine prospect. The only problem? He's best in man, and Minnesota's still running cover 2. I like the pick from a talent standpoint, he's just not going to the best fit for him scheme-wise.

So, Minnesota's 1st round haul was alright IMO, but I'm not nearly the fan of it most are. 

As for whose drafts I really like? Besides ours, I really like what Baltimore's doing to reload that defense. They're getting good players at good values.

I also really like the Packers' draft. Datone Jones is who I wanted if Werner was gone (and that's who I think we'd have wound up with) and Lacy fills a glaring need for them at RB.

And, don't look now, but three beaten down franchises- the Jags, Chiefs, and Raiders- are putting together solid drafts as well.

Vikings is an obvious answer to me.

Jagaurs and Chargers have quietly had a good draft too, IMO.

49ers, Texans, and Ravens had good drafts too.

But, ultimately, in this league, if you don't have the marquee QB, all the talent in the world can only take you so far.

Vikings is an obvious answer to me.

Jagaurs and Chargers have quietly had a good draft too, IMO.

49ers, Texans, and Ravens had good drafts too.

But, ultimately, in this league, if you don't have the marquee QB, all the talent in the world can only take you so far.

Jags are having a GREAT day 3 for sure..They are gonna be much better.

I'm not that big a fan of the Vikings draft, honestly. I thought Floyd was really overrated from the get go and he's going to have trouble maintaining an above average NFL career because his game is primarily based off of his first step (which is always the first thing to go) and he's got T-rex arms that allow linemen to get to his body easier.

Also, I have doubts they'll be able to develop Patterson properly because I don't know if Ponder's got the vertical arm strength to utilize his speed and he's quite raw. I know they want him to play the Percy Harvin role, but Percy was much more polished coming out of Florida. There's potential there, but it's more of a gamble than I like to take in the first.

Rhodes, I like. I'm glad we got Werner because we needed a pass rusher, but Xavier's a fine prospect. The only problem? He's best in man, and Minnesota's still running cover 2. I like the pick from a talent standpoint, he's just not going to the best fit for him scheme-wise.

So, Minnesota's 1st round haul was alright IMO, but I'm not nearly the fan of it most are. 

Every talking head and fan in the world seems to be raving about the Viking draft. I think many are failing to factor in the fact that you need to subtract Harvin's value from the equation. Yes , you can add back in some future cap room , but Harvin was a special talent and he will be sorely missed. Plus I'm not sold that Floyd was not selected about where he should have been. I also think it's telling that Houston went with Hopkins and NE , despite having a huge need at WR , traded out of round 1 rather than select Patterson. Do you really think that NE needed to add a 3rd and 4th rounder when Brady badly needed a WR ? 

Even though they paid the price, Imma say the Vikings.  And I'm not going off "who picked the best players" but "who made the best moves for their team" and I think the Vikings stole the show with a close second.

The Vikings picked up 3 sure starters in the first round.  And the Bengals are poised to take the NFC North this year.

Homer alert...

I think the Colts deserve a "C" rating. Perhaps that is good enough. They didn't stretch to make any picks. Their number one pick is known to be a good player in a 4-3 defense but may not be able to play the 3-4 at all according to experts. There was no need to take big chances. They needed a solid draft with player who can make the team and perhaps one might even be a starter. It isn't like the Colts are one or two players away from a Super Bowl. They still have lots of areas to work on...

us!

Their number one pick is known to be a good player in a 4-3 defense but may not be able to play the 3-4 at all according to experts.

So are our GM and coach considered to be among those experts? They both said he absolutely can play in a 3/4.

So are our GM and coach considered to be among those experts? They both said he absolutely can play in a 3/4.

They certainly are experts but I wonder why you draft a player who is good in the 4-3 but people doubt in the 3-4 when you could have just drafted a player ready to play in the system. I don't expect much from this pick this year. I think it will take him a couple of years to adapt....

They certainly are experts but I wonder why you draft a player who is good in the 4-3 but people doubt in the 3-4 when you could have just drafted a player ready to play in the system. I don't expect much from this pick this year. I think it will take him a couple of years to adapt....

Upside. Many of the same things were said of Jason Taylor when he was put in the position that he flourished in. Werner's upside is off the charts. Again, you said "when people doubt". If those people are GM's or Head of Scouting for an NFL team, I listen, if not, I don't. Thank goodness, neither does Grigson.

Many of those same type of doubters said Freeney and Mathis could not hold up as every down players as 4/3 DE for us. They were wrong. You can choose who you want to bend an ear to, but I have found peace with believing in the GM of the team I root for until I feel they have lost their touch. Mr Grigson's touch appears outstanding so far, and the arrow is pointing up. Nonetheless, thanks for the discussion.

Werner and Thornton have a specific backround and Pagano like this for the colts family. This two guys give her life for Pagano and the Colts. John Boyett with his medical career too. Those guys are bloodfighter for the Colts many years,thats guaranty.

Sorry for bad writing in youre language,i hope you translate the wrong words right ;-)

Greetings from Germany

Personally I would give the Vikings a C..   Patterson is NOT a complete WR, and nobody knows if he will ever get to that point.     I hate that pick.   I would have rather had Woods or Allen.

IMO if a team has 3 first round picks you need to pull 3 starters, or at least 3 players that will contribute Immediately.   Patterson is a big question mark.

The 49ers stole the show....     but they should have they had more picks than anyone going in...

Ravens, Bengals, Cardinals, Panthers, Rams all did very well.....