Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Anderson is a monster!

Iron Colt

Im really curious to see how he is doing, He was lookin way out of shape in Training Camp last year battling an injury, could not even jog from one of the endzone he was at to the other without dropping to a knee to catch his breath, I honestly dont have very high hopes for him, long shot to make the squad anyway, 7th rounder  

Honestly I think we are going to have a pretty healthy competition in camp for the other starting guard spot assuming Thomas is the other starter.

We have Reitz, McGlynn, and Anderson for sure and the chance that Ijalana and or Link could compete as well.

I think Grigson feels like he got another bookend tackle to go with Castonzo and a starting guard to go with the center he got last year.  Now I think he's hoping someone will step up and win the fifth starting job to round out the line.  Frankly Reitz has shown a lot of promise if he can ever stay healthy and I think McGlynn is good enough at guard if he's your fourth or fifth best lineman and not your second of third best one like he was for us in several games last year.  I also think it's important to remember Anderson was a draft pick by Grigson so maybe he saw him as a guy who could be the other starting guard when they drafted him. 

Honestly I think we are going to have a pretty healthy competition in camp for the other starting guard spot assuming Thomas is the other starter.

We have Reitz, McGlynn, and Anderson for sure and the chance that Ijalana and or Link could compete as well.

I think Grigson feels like he got another bookend tackle to go with Castonzo and a starting guard to go with the center he got last year.  Now I think he's hoping someone will step up and win the fifth starting job to round out the line.  Frankly Reitz has shown a lot of promise if he can ever stay healthy and I think McGlynn is good enough at guard if he's your fourth or fifth best lineman and not your second of third best one like he was for us in several games last year.  I also think it's important to remember Anderson was a draft pick by Grigson so maybe he saw him as a guy who could be the other starting guard when they drafted him. 

I think Robert Griffin could have a chance to compete too. He was pretty good at Baylor and is a huge dude.

And just in case anybody is confused, I'm talking about this Robert Griffin.

http://www.colts.com/team/roster/Robert-Griffin/0385e627-f2fb-4e28-9c50-cd9c1ffc2ed7

I think Robert Griffin could have a chance to compete too. He was pretty good at Baylor and is a huge dude.

http://www.colts.com/team/roster/Robert-Griffin/0385e627-f2fb-4e28-9c50-cd9c1ffc2ed7

I thought we cut him lose before the end of last year?  Of course he was signed and cut so many times I lost track after a while.

It is often in the 3rd or 4th year a developed player is finally plugged in for a quality 8-10 year vet.
Check out how 5th rd DP Arthur Jones did replacing Cory Redding. Kruger for Jarrett Johnson.

A few young Colts that I thought showed some real promise.
Clifton Geathers
Lawrence Guy
Mario Harvey
Justin Hickman

It is often in the 3rd or 4th year a developed player is finally plugged in for a quality 8-10 year vet.

Check out how 5th rd DP Arthur Jones did replacing Cory Redding. Kruger for Jarrett Johnson.

Clifton Geathers

Lawrence Guy

Mario Harvey

Justin Hickman

I really liked what I seen from Harvey. Non stop motor and flew all over the field. 

Our Robert Griffin is 3 times bigger than the original RG3......RG3 get it :)  Mug shot stuff......:)  I hope he can contribute Balzer...

griffin-robert.jpg

Im really curious to see how he is doing, He was lookin way out of shape in Training Camp last year battling an injury, could not even jog from one of the endzone he was at to the other without dropping to a knee to catch his breath, I honestly dont have very high hopes for him, long shot to make the squad anyway, 7th rounder  

I'm curious as to how you saw him in training camp?  He was on the PUP list meaning he can attend meetings and get medical treatment but he can't be part of the practices.

He was projected as a 4th round prospect but fell to the 7th round because of injury. If he can stay healthy he would be a huge upgrade over Reitz at LG. Our offensive line would be Castanzo LT,Anderson LG,Shipley C, Thomas RG, Cherilus RT. It would be the biggest and most athletic offensive line the Colts have ever had.

Our Robert Griffin is 3 times bigger than the original RG3......RG3 get it :)  Mug shot stuff...... :)  I hope he can contribute Balzer...

griffin-robert.jpg

Yeah I hope he can be one of the hidden gem's for our O-line. I'm still not sold on our other guard spot and would like to see it solidified with somebody other than Reitz, McGlynn, or Link. I think Reitz is OK but he's had some injury problems.

I'm curious as to how you saw him in training camp?  He was on the PUP list meaning he can attend meetings and get medical treatment but he can't be part of the practices.

He wasn't technically part of the practices, he was off to the right end zone from where I was sitting jogging laps up and down it, Away from the team likely by league requirements considered not an active participant in team practices

6'5", 342 and played for Georgia. What happened to him last year and can he be a force at guard in Peps pffense? I assume hes as strong as an ox but wonder about his quickness and agility.

Honestly, most 340 pound offensive linemen are no stronger than their 290-310 pound counterparts.  They may be harder to move in some respects but the extra size comes with some major downsides.  Very few players become more effective at their job when they get that big and it's likely in his best interest to drop 20+ pounds.

People get too hyped up about size sometimes.  Size by itself means virtually nothing.

He wasn't technically part of the practices, he was off to the right end zone from where I was sitting jogging laps up and down it, Away from the team likely by league requirements considered not an active participant in team practices

Hmm, I didn't think that was allowed.  It's my understanding that a player cannot be anywhere near the practice field while on PUP but I have ben wrong before (I know hard to believe).  But perhaps the reason he was struggling to run was because of his foot injury.  Just a suggestion.

Hmm, I didn't think that was allowed.  It's my understanding that a player cannot be anywhere near the practice field while on PUP but I have ben wrong before (I know hard to believe).  But perhaps the reason he was struggling to run was because of his foot injury.  Just a suggestion.

It was him jogging for sure, Im sure he was struggling because of that foot, still a cause for concern at 342lbs and maybe even moreso because of that weight, Still hoping for a full recovery though but Im not optimistic about it

Honestly, most 340 pound offensive linemen are no stronger than their 290-310 pound counterparts.  They may be harder to move in some respects but the extra size comes with some major downsides.  Very few players become more effective at their job when they get that big and it's likely in his best interest to drop 20+ pounds.

People get too hyped up about size sometimes.  Size by itself means virtually nothing.

If I could 'like' this post many, many more times,  I would.    Can't 'like' this post enough.

Very nicely said.

Do you think Laron Landry could block Vince Wolfork, one on one?  I don't.  On the flip side, I do believe Wolfork could block Landry.   I have to believe size and mass come into play at some point.

Do you think Laron Landry could block Vince Wolfork, one on one?  I don't.  On the flip side, I do believe Wolfork could block Landry.   I have to believe size and mass come into play at some point.

Basic physics, Force=mass*acceleration.

Now ion fairness the poster to which you responded did limit his comment to strength and qualfied it as 290-310lb offensive lineman. 

But still, mass does come into play.  The strength comes into play in torque... the ability to change the direction of the opposing force.  Then again mass comes into play again because it takes more strength to change the direction of a larger mass than a smaller mass.

For the mathematically challenged, all this means is...  that why lineman be big.

Jamie Thomas was/is 6'4" 330 or so.  He couldn't crack those horrible lines we had when he was here.  You're right, size matters, but footwork and technique are a lot more important.

Geez.  Apples and oranges much?

He was projected as a 4th round prospect but fell to the 7th round because of injury. If he can stay healthy he would be a huge upgrade over Reitz at LG. Our offensive line would be Castanzo LT,Anderson LG,Shipley C, Thomas RG, Cherilus RT. It would be the biggest and most athletic offensive line the Colts have ever had.

I am hoping that Ben Ijalana can make it all the way back from his injuries...2nd round pick, 6'4"/317 and has worked his tail off to get ready for the camps and season.

If you have two guys with same skill and both have good strength and footwork. I'm taking the bigger guy every time. He will be able to use his weight more than the lighter guy. But no, you can't judge just on size. He could be a slow footed big blob of a man.

If you have two guys with same skill and both have good strength and footwork. I'm taking the bigger guy every time. He will be able to use his weight more than the lighter guy. But no, you can't judge just on size. He could be a slow footed big blob of a man.

Two good blockers here.....a little heavy:

fat_football_guy.jpg

Fast for his size  :funny:

msufat.jpg

AHHH...practice is now over......MMMMMMMM!  I'd gladly pay you Tuesday...for a hamburger today... haha

new_NFL_replacement_football_players_for

The bigger guy may still be at a disadvantage if his weight is distributed differently than the smaller guy.  I'll take a 6'2", 290 pound guard over a 6'6", 340 pound guard any day and twice on Sundays assuming all other things are equal.  Why?  The shorter guy (very likely) has a lower center of mass which helps tremendously in the battle for leverage that blocking entails.  The bigger guy has more reach which is also helpful but in a far more situational manner because interior offensive linemen don't have to cover very much space like a tackle would.

Also if the strength is the same then the littler guy is going to be quicker in the open field than the bigger guy which is extremely advantageous when it comes to getting up to the second level of a defense and taking LBs or DBs out of the play.  Keeping that extra 50 pounds in motion is taxing on athletic performance.

Clifton Geathers

Lawrence Guy

Mario Harvey

Justin Hickman

Agreed. Really like what I saw out of Hickman and Harvey at times.

I think Grigson feels like he got another bookend tackle to go with Castonzo and a starting guard to go with the center he got last year. Now I think he's hoping someone will step up and win the fifth starting job to round out the line. Frankly Reitz has shown a lot of promise if he can ever stay healthy and I think McGlynn is good enough at guard if he's your fourth or fifth best lineman and not your second of third best one like he was for us in several games last year. I also think it's important to remember Anderson was a draft pick by Grigson so maybe he saw him as a guy who could be the other starting guard when they drafted him.

Mcglynn and reitz are bums, especially reitz, I hope ijalana or Anderson get it