Colts Release Tom Zbikowski

Andy

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I am surprised.

Zib came to help Pagano get things established. And you cut him the next year before he even has a chance to compete at Training Camp....?

...unless Grigs has already spoken to Newsome and they want to bring him back to the Ravens. So we just cut him outright instead of trading. Hmgh.

I'm not sure if you watched any games last year, but who in there right mind would trade for him?

Wow. I am surprised.

Zib came to help Pagano get things established. And you cut him the next year before he even has a chance to compete at Training Camp....?

...unless Grigs has already spoken to Newsome and they want to bring him back to the Ravens. So we just cut him outright instead of trading. Hmgh.

There's no trade market for Zbikowski. He didn't perform anywhere near as well as most hoped he would (still was better than Aaron Francisco and David Caldwell). I don't think we should have cut him yet. We probably should have waited for camp and seen if he could have picked it up a bit, but it was always likely that he would be gone before opening day.

I really liked the Zibs signing when we brought him in. However, it was very obvious very quickly that he was not the solution. I would also imagine that this signals a draft pick being used on safety (but, probably not a high one.....unless we are drafting Betheas replacement).

I really liked the Zibs signing when we brought him in. However, it was very obvious very quickly that he was not the solution. I would also imagine that this signals a draft pick being used on safety (but, probably not a high one.....unless we are drafting Betheas replacement).

It is a contract year

There's no trade market for Zbikowski.

No, I meant instead of trading him to the Ravens (assuming Grigs & Newsome have spoken about him and they're wanting him back...if Reed leaves) they just decided to cut him outright. More as professional courtesy....since they (Ravens) let him come with Pagano. Just thinking out loud.

He didn't perform anywhere near as well as most hoped he would (still was better than Aaron Francisco and David Caldwell). I don't think we should have cut him yet. We probably should have waited for camp and seen if he could have picked it up a bit, but it was always likely that he would be gone before opening day.

Right. And I thought so when we added Landry. I would've maybe kept him around if for anything, to help set the tone & acclimate the new additions and rookies to how Pagano does things. Hmgh....goes to show what I know.

Why draft Bethea's replacement when he's the same age as Landry. I think Lefeged is our backup and this isn't indicating a safety as a draft pick. I thought of it more as freeing up some cap for another FA signing. Perhaps a Guard.

I shouldn't be annoyed about this, but I sort of am, purely on the basis of me liking him. I realize he underperformed and brought little to the team other than familiarity with Pagano's defense, but I couldn't help liking the guy...

It may have something to do with him spending the off-season as a semi-pro boxer.

It doesn't hurt to shop him first. Let's be honest. Worst case, you get nothing.

I don't think it opens up for Reed to come here, but Pollard it would.

Perhaps we did, but realistically, there was no market for him. There are still several safeties on the market right now, and the draft has several more that will be available in mid rounds and later.

Maybe we could have traded him to Warner Bros. for an advance screening of Iron Man 3. But we weren't gonna get a pick for him.

At least this shows Grigson is watching a players performance on the field.

If a player doesnt perform up to standards, he will not be retained.

Thats what I hated about Polian.

Year after year, he retained the same under achieving players, regardless of how poorly they did the year before.

Polian sometimes even rewarded his guys by re-signing them to lucrative new contracts.

Too bad signing Zibs didnt work out.

But at least it shows they are willing to admit mistakes and move on.

I'm amused by the enthusiasm for his departure. The ringing endorsements when he was brought in were overwhelming. "He was a RAVEN, and Pagano KNOWS him, and Pagano is the best coach EVER, and Grigson is a GENIUS. Thank God that that :cuss: Polian is gone."

And little old Polian UFA Lefeged is still here plugging away. :D

My reaction when Zbikowski was brought in was "who the heck is that? Well he's never started but he was a third round pick and the Ravens tend to draft well. Lets hope Grigson is correct and he can make the jump. There's definitely a hole in the roster so it's worth a shot."

I'm sorry that it didn't work out, and I don't think ill of Pagano or Grigson either way for making a "mistake" (any more than I screamed from the roof tops when the guy was signed). I'm mostly just pleased (as a Rutgers supporter) at Lefeged's perseverance, and amused at people's reactions. Is the honeymoon over yet? :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with our staff and I'm just watching them plug away with interest and enthusiasm, I just try not to jump to conclusions about who's a candidate for the GM's Mensa club based on zero evidence. It takes YEARS to figure that out, and sometimes you never do. On average, most of them turn out to be average. Funny how that works.

No, I meant instead of trading him to the Ravens (assuming Grigs & Newsome have spoken about him and they're wanting him back...if Reed leaves) they just decided to cut him outright. More as professional courtesy....since they (Ravens) let him come with Pagano. Just thinking out loud.

Right. And I thought so when we added Landry. I would've maybe kept him around if for anything, to help set the tone & acclimate the new additions and rookies to how Pagano does things. Hmgh....goes to show what I know.

Interesting thought. Maybe the Ravens would have given up something to get him back, assuming Reed leaves. But I still doubt it. There are better safeties that will be available still in a week or so, and the Ravens need all the picks they can get right now.

I guess it is more about a professional courtesy. It's probably easier for him to get a new job now than it would be during camp. Especially if he was part of final cuts. Kind of hard to stand out among 703 others.

I'm amused by the enthusiasm for his departure. The ringing endorsements when he was brought in were overwhelming. "He was a RAVEN, and Pagano KNOWS him, and Pagano is the best coach EVER, and Grigson is a GENIUS. Thank God that that :cuss: Polian is gone."

And little old Polian UFA Lefeged is still here plugging away. :D

My reaction when Zbikowski was brought in was "who the heck is that? Well he's never started but he was a third round pick and the Ravens tend to draft well. Lets hope Grigson is correct and he can make the jump. There's definitely a hole in the roster so it's worth a shot."

I'm sorry that it didn't work out, and I don't think ill of Pagano or Grigson either way for making a "mistake" (any more than I screamed from the roof tops when the guy was signed). I'm mostly just pleased (as a Rutgers supporter) at Lefeged's perseverance, and amused at people's reactions. Is the honeymoon over yet? :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with our staff and I'm just watching them plug away with interest and enthusiasm, I just try not to jump to conclusions about who's a candidate for the GM's Mensa club based on zero evidence. It takes YEARS to figure that out, and sometimes you never do. On average, most of them turn out to be average. Funny how that works.

As underwhelming as Zbikowski was, he was better than David Caldwell and Aaron Francisco. So it was an upgrade over what we suffered through in 2010 and 2011. But he still didn't play well, and that's too bad.

Interesting thought. Maybe the Ravens would have given up something to get him back, assuming Reed leaves. But I still doubt it. There are better safeties that will be available still in a week or so, and the Ravens need all the picks they can get right now.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I guess it is more about a professional courtesy. It's probably easier for him to get a new job now than it would be during camp. Especially if he was part of final cuts. Kind of hard to stand out among 703 others.

Again, yeah. :)

no need for another starting safety.

of course ed reed is an extreme talent. and he is a first ballot hall of famer. one of the best safeties to ever play the game. but when you have bethea playing free safety and LaRon Landry playing strong, there is no need for reed.