Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts attempting to re-sign Butler and Powers

MTC

I'll keep saying this...

Powers is a guy that will only help out this team, and can play both positions. In my opinion, they would be silly to let him go. He has a lot of talent and is still young. He's only getting better.

Butler is a guy that can provide very good depth as the first backup and could come in and do well.

Bottomline, both guys help out this team and will come in relatively cheap.

I'll keep saying this...

Powers is a guy that will only help out this team, and can play both positions. In my opinion, they would be silly to let him go. He has a lot of talent and is still young. He's only getting better.

Butler is a guy that can provide very good depth as the first backup and could come in and do well.

I think Butler is better and would be the #3 CB (assuming a #2 is drafted/signed.)

Upgrade the pass rush and I think the Colts DB's are OK...      that is with Powers and Butler retained.

Indy was horrible getting to the QB last year....      

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130309/SPORTS03/303090046/1058/SPORTS03

That's good to see that the Colts are trying to get Powers and especially Butler back. But, we should still have corner as a need.

Although Butler performed well this year, I think Powers would be a perfect fit as a nickel cornerback.

You can't have too many good corners.  And in our case, we don't have too many good corners.  But at least we'll have a bunch with experience in Vaughn, Butler, and Powers if we can keep them all.

You can't have too many good corners.  And in our case, we don't have too many good corners.  But at least we'll have a bunch with experience in Vaughn, Butler, and Powers if we can keep them all.

Oh boy that's true, Vaughn is back... I'd rather see him on special teams. For some reason, players with the name Vaughn always screw up on the Colts. Now it's Cassius, before it was that guy Chip Vaughn who blew that one game (I think it was the preseason one, maybe regular season). 

I agree on what you said though, DBs is a place where the more the better. 

I'll keep saying this...

Again, I agree completely. I know I've said this before and nobody cares because I'm not a scout, but from the many times I went to training camp last season, Powers was well above and beyond the most impressive DB on the field. I saw him defend passes, run guys out of bounds, saw him intercept the ball twice in a row covering Wayne. There's a good reason Pagano likes him.

Granted this was before Davis or Butler were on the roster, but still.

It is not that Powers is a bad player but he is not anything but avg in the man to man scheme. Way better in zone. The other problem is he has been injured every year in the league so far. You don't pay big dollar for injury filled guys and Grigs has shown several players the door who had injury plagued years and bigger salaries. I wouldn't mind him but if we pay anything more than a couple mil/season, they overpaid. Take on Butler at 4/12 or something in that range and move on. Xavier if he is at 24

Upgrade the pass rush and I think the Colts DB's are OK...      that is with Powers and Butler retained.

Indy was horrible getting to the QB last year....      

I agree with this. If we can get pressure on the opposing QB like we used to then our DB's will be fine, but I also agree with finding another CB to play opposite Vontae. 

I think Butler is our 2nd best CB. He really showed up against JAX on TNF. And you can say "it's only the Jaguars WR"

But bottomline, they're still NFL WR's. And Vaughn struggled with them all night but Butler definitely contributed to that Win

Not to mention the chiefs game he was our second best offensive player

If Vontae is on the right, I want Powers on the left and Butler in the nickel.

If Vontae is on the left, I want Butler on the right and Powers in the nickel.

I want Vaughn on special teams and I want them ALL to remain healthy.

special Teams as in on the sideline with jump suit and cap on.... Yea would agree with you on that