Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DE Fili Moala re-sign

Marcio James

14 tackles zero sacks.

He was having a decent yr. before the injury. I don't know how many times it needs to be stated, but the DE's job in the 3-4 is not to rush the passer. Getting him on a 1 yr. cheap deal is a good move. did you expect them to sign all pro bowlers for every hole there is to fill this offseason?

Played MUCH better last year in the 3-4 rather than the 4-3. Hope he can stay healthy.

I saw this on walterfootball.com, just when he was a prospect to 2009 nfl draft:

"Can't play three-technique, but can be an adequate nose tackle in the 4-3; best fit is at five-technique in the 3-4 where he can plug the run going against offense tackles using his size to his advantage."

http://walterfootball.com/pro2009fmoala.php

He was playing quite poorly until his last couple games, I too saw some improvement.
But his tackle numbers for the season (8 games) could hardly be worse. 2 tackles(HOW?)  and 12 assists.

We are desperate for a few veteran Bodies at the position, he had to be cheap.

Do you know the assignments of a DT in a 3-4 scheme. 

Yes I do. I will agree he played better in the 3-4 vs 4-3. Im just not as excited as everyone one else to have a underachieving disappointing player coming off major knee surgery back. He signed a one year deal because he knew their would be no market for him. That's all.

He was playing quite poorly until his last couple games, I too saw some improvement.

But his tackle numbers for the season (8 games) could hardly be worse. 2 tackles(HOW?)  and 12 assists.

We are desperate for a few veteran Bodies at the position, he had to be cheap.

Once again. A 3-4 DE's job is to occupy blockers and free up the LBers to make the plays. If you have a DE in the 3-4 that also racks up tackles and gets to the QB, then you probably have J.J. Watt on your team. Unfortunately there aren't many J.J. Watt's around so having a guy that can occupy his blockers is a pretty good option to have. He signed a 1 yr. deal and I imagine it was a pretty cheap contract so this is a good signing if for nothing else than to have decent depth.

Not really a huge resigning but in rebuilding mode, not being a weakness is a strength. Theres holes to fill, not really a great time to upgrade the DE position, 3-4 DEs aren't exactly world beaters anyway.

This is fine with me. It's only for 1 year so that means not much $$$ went into it. Definitely need defensive lineman depth cause we all saw our defensive linemen dropping like flies last year :facepalm:

Good re-sign Mr. Grigson. What else do you have for us??!!

*Anxiously sips apple juice*

Once again. A 3-4 DE's job is to occupy blockers and free up the LBers to make the plays. If you have a DE in the 3-4 that also racks up tackles and gets to the QB, then you probably have J.J. Watt on your team. Unfortunately there aren't many J.J. Watt's around so having a guy that can occupy his blockers is a pretty good option to have. He signed a 1 yr. deal and I imagine it was a pretty cheap contract so this is a good signing if for nothing else than to have decent depth.

I Agree, 2 tackles in 9 games is OK enough.

I`m searching for that list of others like J.J. Watt. :)

Yes I do. I will agree he played better in the 3-4 vs 4-3. Im just not as excited as everyone one else to have a underachieving disappointing player coming off major knee surgery back. He signed a one year deal because he knew their would be no market for him. That's all.

The lack of a market is due to his injury,  not due to his ability.   Big difference.

Good signing. Fili played well last year, finally in the right system for him. What I am worried about is that he may not be available for training camp with that knee ligament tear.   

With his background, if Grigson knows any position, it's lineman....   both offensive and defensive....

He likes him.   He re-signed him when he didn't have to.    He re-signed him coming off a serious knee injury.   All of those things should tell you Moala might be a little better than you think.

Look....   I'm no expert.... (duh!)   I'm just willing to give Grigson a huge benefit of any possible doubt here...

Agreed.  Not every signing is going to knock your socks off.  This was a solid and wise, if not unspectacular signing.  And that's just fine.