Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney to Seattle?

MTC

Via Rotoworld:

ESPN's John Clayton believes the Seahawks could be a potential landing spot for free agent DE/OLB Dwight Freeney.

Freeney is coming off the worst season of his
career after attempting to make the switch to outside linebacker in
2012, and is not expected to re-sign with the Colts. "If you're
(Seattle), you call Dwight and say, 'Listen, if you're going to get big
money in free agency, God love you, we support you 100 ways. But if
indeed you struggle a little bit and need to take a little bit of a
flier on a team, look at this team,'" Clayton thought out loud. Two
weeks shy of his 33rd birthday, Freeney's market is hard to forecast,
but we don't doubt he'll be looking to latch on with a 4-3 team.

I don't know if it's a good fit for him but interesting to say the least.

Seattle plays the 3-4.  This season showed that Freeney is far more suited to the 4-3 than the 3-4.  I'd like to see Freeney go to a contender.  I don't want to see him go to a place like Philly where he has no chance to win a Super Bowl.  I'd like to see him go to a contender and get a chance for another ring

Seattle plays the 3-4.  This season showed that Freeney is far more suited to the 4-3 than the 3-4.  I'd like to see Freeney go to a contender.  I don't want to see him go to a place like Philly where he has no chance to win a Super Bowl.  I'd like to see him go to a contender and get a chance for another ring

The Seahawks play a 4-3 that slightly resembles a 3-4 in philosophy.  I actually think Freeney would be a good fit although I'm not sure I'd call him a great signing based on his age... depends on the contract.

I'm pretty sure Seattle plays a 4-3.   Pete Carroll, their HC is a former DC, and he's always believed in a 4-3.

I think it would be a great fit.   Especially since I think their DRE (Clemons?) blew up his knee in the playoff game.   He might be out all, or at least most of the year.    Freeney might get lots of playing time there.

Good for Dwight if it happens.

Patriots could use a player of Freeney's caliber as a loaner for 2-3 years while Brady tries to win another SB :P  We struggled again this year with a pass rush... Chandler Jones started strong and looks very good, but then he got injured and really slowed down.  His stats are very similar to JPP's rookie year though, so hopefully he can improve like he did in his 2nd year. 

I'll be curious to see what he commands on the open market.  There are a lot of teams that have stupid amounts of cap space, so nothing would surprise me really at this point.

I'm pretty sure Seattle plays a 4-3.   Pete Carroll, their HC is a former DC, and he's always believed in a 4-3.

I think it would be a great fit.   Especially since I think their DRE (Clemons?) blew up his knee in the playoff game.   He might be out all, or at least most of the year.    Freeney might get lots of playing time there.

Good for Dwight if it happens.

To be more specific they play a 4-3 with 3 big DT-types and a pass rusher who gets split pretty far out to one side on passing downs.  A little 3-4ish to try to isolate the DE on the OT.

Patriots could use a player of Freeney's caliber as a loaner for 2-3 years while Brady tries to win another SB :P  We struggled again this year with a pass rush... Chandler Jones started strong and looks very good, but then he got injured and really slowed down.  His stats are very similar to JPP's rookie year though, so hopefully he can improve like he did in his 2nd year. 

I'll be curious to see what he commands on the open market.  There are a lot of teams that have stupid amounts of cap space, so nothing would surprise me really at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats went after him.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats went after him.

Pats wouldn't surprise me at all

, wondering about re-uniting with Peyton and switching high motor starting Rookie last year DE Wolfe, who was a DT in college & move him  to DT , both tyheir  DTs are free agents   and this may work out for Peytons  shiort term needs  if not Broncos longterm  and let them use a draft pick for another position of need pending best player available

They have quite a few positions needing upgrading MID / ILB, CB, DT, , maybe safety , OL depth as Kuper now seems injury prone and also OT Clady having shoulder surgery &Knopeen is freee agent and other 2 centers were IR'd last year and previous stayer walton was weak so drafted blake last year but injured early

A nice back  would be great , Mcagahee old, hurting, and sudenly fumble prone, Moreno always injury prone , but Moreno & Hillman with the  high draft of  RB  Lacy would be a good backfield

but D has many great players in draft esp on DL so just may not happen as Elway likes to build through draft

Don't worry about Philly, they're switching to a 34 this year.

Freeney in the Pacific Northwest...Hmmm...Pete Carroll can coach defense & Seattle will make the Playoffs next season again with that stout defense & the savvy elusiveness of QB Russell Wilson. I don't see Freeney in Denver though. The Broncos have 2 great DE's already in Elvis Dumervil & Derek Wolfe. No need for Freeney in Colorado IMO...

doesnt Denver use a 4-3?

Freeney in the Pacific Northwest...Hmmm...Pete Carroll can coach defense & Seattle will make the Playoffs next season again with that stout defense & the savvy elusiveness of QB Russell Wilson. I don't see Freeney in Denver though. The Broncos have 2 great DE's already in Elvis Dumervil & Derek Wolfe. No need for Freeney in Colorado IMO...

Yes 

resign 1 DT, younger Vikerson, Put Wolfe at DT, then have DE Freeney & doomeerville & with Von Miller as OLB rusher thats some line

Via Rotoworld:

ESPN's John Clayton believes the Seahawks could be a potential landing spot for free agent DE/OLB Dwight Freeney.

I don't know if it's a good fit for him but interesting to say the least.

Cincinnati...  They need to payout a bunch of $$$$$$ just to reach the minimum salary requirement for an NFL team... They could give Freeney the "Quan" coin he deserves.

A shame we did not trade him when we should have, now he will walk for nothing 

something is better than nothing for sure...but there's probably not a whole lot of weight in that trade. I look at Asante Samuel's value in the Atlanta trade as a reference. 7th rounder was all they had to give up to get him... yee haw. I doubt Freeney's value was much better. It sucks, but I don't think we missed out on a 2nd - 5th round pick.

something is better than nothing for sure...but there's probably not a whole lot of weight in that trade. I look at Asante Samuel's value in the Atlanta trade as a reference. 7th rounder was all they had to give up to get him... yee haw. I doubt Freeney's value was much better. It sucks, but I don't think we missed out on a 2nd - 5th round pick.

I think perhaps we could have swung a 5h but thats just speculation, even a 6th or 7th I would have taken simply because you never know who will be there in the 7th, mostly duds I know but that would have been an extra chance to get a good contributor (Im real high on Joe Vellano lol as a Under Tackle in our 4-3 looks and rotating him in and out at 3-4 DE which he played this year and had 6 sacks and 14 tackles for loss and a pick and 2 forced fumbles)

I think perhaps we could have swung a 5h but thats just speculation, even a 6th or 7th I would have taken simply because you never know who will be there in the 7th, mostly duds I know but that would have been an extra chance to get a good contributor (Im real high on Joe Vellano lol as a Under Tackle in our 4-3 looks and rotating him in and out at 3-4 DE which he played this year and had 6 sacks and 14 tackles for loss and a pick and 2 forced fumbles)

I understand. I'm not saying it was right to retain him, I don't think it was. His production didn't warrant $14 mill and honestly...triple the production and it doesn't warrant $14 mill. A 6th is probably the best value we could have gotten for him so it's not a terrible loss in that respect. There are those diamonds in the rough, but the percentage of 6th and 7th round players who are still around  is not high enough to believe that a real difference maker was out there to benefit us in this draft. 

Either way, it was nice to have a Hall of Famer and one of the best Colts in the history of the franchise for one more year. 

I love the Hawks defense, but I don't think they really need Freeney....costs too much.

Depending on their cap situations, I could see him moving to Miami or Cincinnati.

Dallas is moving to a 4-3 with Monte Kiffin. If they don't retain Spencer, I could see Freeney being on their wish list.

If Freeney does land in Seattle Paul Allen, the richest owner in the NFL, has a net worth of 15 billion dollars. I think he can afford to pay Dwight very easily.  haha

http://www.forbes.com/profile/paul-allen/

Even paul Allen can't work around a hard salary cap.  The Seahawks only sign Freeney if it makes economic sense.  Seattle has a solid foundation of young players, but they will need to be paid better in the next year or two to keep them intact.  Freeney may not make sense there.  They need a dependable pass rusher who will be there for a few seasons.  

A shame we did not trade him when we should have, now he will walk for nothing 

Nobody was going to trade for that monstrous contract. It would have been nice to move him before we let him walk considering his lackluster play this past season, but I really doubt we would have got anything for him.

Freeney was playing in a system that just was not a good fit for him.  He will go to a 4-3 team and probably have a good season.  He maybe done having amazing seasons but as a pass rusher the guy can still probably get it done.