Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sean Smith

Peytonparker

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean smith has always been the better out him and Vontae while they both was in Miami. He had 12 pass defensed this year and people would consider this as a bad year for him. This dude is a beast but The Miami herald says his agent is using Jason Mccourty's six year 43million contract as a baseline(don't know how much gauranteed is in Mccourty's contract). So it would be a how much is Grigson really wanting to invest in the young 25yr old cb and solidify the cb position for sometime. Not to mention Vontae would be looking for an extension sometime during the year as well. But I would love to have both of them in our secondary

I think Sean Smith is very underrated. He has very good size and is very good athletically. 

Especially with a giant need for a #2 corner, Sean Smith is definitely worth a look. He'd be a good fit for that #2 spot. 

He is a tall physical corner which is rare in this league.  If you look at his previous years he played well, and he also played for mike nolan as you all know was a defensive coach at baltimore.  He ran a variation of our 3-4 hybrid defense which suited sean.  Yes sean did have a down year this year but i believe it was because mike nolan was let go as defensive coordinator and there new defensive coordinator changed there defensive scheme to a sole 4-3.  Sean would know our defense and you would pair him with Vontae whos also over 6 ft.  Not alot of teams have 2 starting corners who are over 6 ft tall.  He would be a great addition, if we cant get him look for Carry Williams played for Pagano and he is also over 6 ft tall.

Dude is like 6'3 and 217! With the skills to match! Would love him. From what I was reading it looks like Miami will be trying to keep him. Hopefully they go all vontae on him ;)

In the past few weeks Miami was quoted as saying they are letting him, Jake Long, and Reggie Bush go to FA. He doesn't really fit their 4-3 zone scheme like Vontae didn't. Sean is a pure man-cover guy and would be great to have here.

He is a tall physical corner which is rare in this league. If you look at his previous years he played well, and he also played for mike nolan as you all know was a defensive coach at baltimore. He ran a variation of our 3-4 hybrid defense which suited sean. Yes sean did have a down year this year but i believe it was because mike nolan was let go as defensive coordinator and there new defensive coordinator changed there defensive scheme to a sole 4-3. Sean would know our defense and you would pair him with Vontae whos also over 6 ft. Not alot of teams have 2 starting corners who are over 6 ft tall. He would be a great addition, if we cant get him look for Carry Williams played for Pagano and he is also over 6 ft tall.

If they are looking at Williams, whose looking for 8-9mil/yr, I'd much rather push harder for Smith. Younger, bigger, and has better skills in my opinion.

I'm just not that impressed with Williams.

A call to his agent would not hurt thats for sure. Miami has some cap space though don't they? i see them keeping Smith and signing a big name WR that would leave them little to  try and retain Long which is why all the speculation that Long will be elsewhere 

He is a tall physical corner which is rare in this league.  If you look at his previous years he played well, and he also played for mike nolan as you all know was a defensive coach at baltimore.  He ran a variation of our 3-4 hybrid defense which suited sean.  Yes sean did have a down year this year but i believe it was because mike nolan was let go as defensive coordinator and there new defensive coordinator changed there defensive scheme to a sole 4-3.  Sean would know our defense and you would pair him with Vontae whos also over 6 ft.  Not alot of teams have 2 starting corners who are over 6 ft tall.  He would be a great addition, if we cant get him look for Carry Williams played for Pagano and he is also over 6 ft tall.

Not sure about Cary Williams, he seems a bit too aggresive in his demeanour.

Can't cover. He's a hard hitter though. He'd be a solid SS in the box but we don't have the cornerbacks to justify putting them on an island.

Some sites show corner...others say safety.....at 6'3" and right at 220.....SS sounds good.  I want a BIG back there that puts the fear in the WR....not sure this guy is mean enough   :)...no better way to put it in the old linebacker's eyes!

Not sure about Cary Williams, he seems a bit too aggresive in his demeanour.

This is exactly why I like Williams. I want CB's that are aggressive and not afraid to take a chance. I have always hated how, in the past our CB's would always wait 5 yds. away from the receiver to make the catch and then go for the tackle. 

This is exactly why I like Williams. I want CB's that are aggressive and not afraid to take a chance. I have always hated how, in the past our CB's would always wait 5 yds. away from the receiver to make the catch and then go for the tackle. 

Same as my point on Sean Smith above.....you have to play the game with an edge.....a chip....Williams certainly does that.  Smith needs a little Pagano kick...

Can't cover. He's a hard hitter though. He'd be a solid SS in the box but we don't have the cornerbacks to justify putting them on an island.

Hard hitter is the key here. We don't really play in a pass heavy conference. He's much better suited for the run which the Colts do have to play heavily against. Yes, his pass coverage skills are limited but he's only got to lay a couple hard hits on receivers coming across the middle before those receivers are alligator-arming the football anticipating him laying them out.

I REALLY hope we can land Sean Smith as him and Vontae, with Bethea in centerfield, could handle pretty much anything on the back-end. This would allow a guy like Landry to shadow TE's while also allowing Pagano to get super creative with his blitz packages.

Rex was able to be super successful doing this with Revis/Cromartie and his OLB's weren't really anything special yet they could get to the QB without much problem.

People keep referring to having a better pass rush to help the DB's, as I think having great DB's who can play press coverage opens the defense up even more in allowing more variation to blitz packages while still taking pressure off the DB's.

I don't want anything to do with Cary Williams....he's a total punk.

Maybe Smith could be turned around by Pagano who seems to be able to help CB's quite a bit. Just don't over reach for him $$ wise.

I think Pagano could really coach up these 2 young corners for a very long time

Maybe its just me but I'm hoping the team is aggressive with FA so we can draft BPA...If we can get some small respectable contracts with midlevel talent like Smith, I hope we do...he had a bad year...but he's good, really good. It very well may have to do with the team and the system.

Cary Williams would be a great pickup, I haven't watched much of Smith so I cant say one way or the other about him but Im all for aggresive Corners

It's pretty crazy that they wood be letting him go. I think they chose to stay with him vontae. Now they are not bringing him back I could see a repeat of vontae except smith is HUGE! Maybe it was the system they switched to. But both smith and Davis are very very good. Would love him as a #2 over Williams personally.