Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sean Smith

Peytonparker

I didn't mean you specifically on the Harvin thing, but there are others that have said they didn't want Williams because of his attitude, but then turned around and said they would love to have Harvin. Harvin is a complete tool IMO and has had trouble everywhere he's been. I don't think a change of scenery is going to do anything for him as others have suggested. He's a repeat offender over and over and change's of scenery has done nothing to change him before. Again, don't mean you, just hypocrisy seems to be OK as long as a guy plays a position that many fans are in love with.

Neither will the absolutely ridiculous 120m contract Harvin's reportedly seeking.

But back to CBs....I like Keenan Lewis out of those CBs projected to hit the market, and I hope he does. I'd be okay with Cary WIlliams, but at the price tag he's reportedly looking for, I think the 26 yr old Lewis at maybe 5-6 million per season...brings us a CB who's aggressiveness and coverage ability make him a better value by comparison.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither will the absolutely ridiculous 120m contract Harvin's reportedly seeking.

But back to CBs....I like Keenan Lewis out of those CBs projected to hit the market, and I hope he does. I'd be okay with Cary WIlliams, but at the price tag he's reportedly looking for, I think the 26 yr old Lewis at maybe 5-6 million per season...brings us a CB who's aggressiveness and coverage ability make him a better value by comparison.

I'm not opposed to Lewis at all. I'm fine with looking for guys that are kind of under the radar and will come much cheaper. Signing guys that are still upgrades but cheaper than the big names allows us to plug more holes and still improve the roster.

I'm not opposed to Lewis at all. I'm fine with looking for guys that are kind of under the radar and will come much cheaper. Signing guys that are still upgrades but cheaper than the big names allows us to plug more holes and still improve the roster.

Of course there is two sides to that coin in doing that, you could be releasing a Cassius Vaughn for....well another Cassius Vaughn, Im not saying thats what he is but 1 pick in 45 games later Im not jumping at the chance to get him especially taking into account Pitt is not known for having great Corners 

More from the Herald:

"I didn't know what to make of Smith after the season so I asked two former Dolphins receivers about him. I asked them to compare Smith to former Miami cornerback Vontae Davis. Both players said the same thing.

"I'd much rather go against Sean than Vontae," one said. "Vontae is a pain in the [butt]. He gets his hands on you, he holds, he grabs, he gets away with stuff that nobody sees. Sean is just easier. He's fast as hell. But he guesses a lot and a lot of time he guesses wrong."

And so this is the resume Sean Smith will take to free agency in March.

As Volin wrote, the Dolphins value Smith at much less than what Smith apparently wants. But Smith will only be 26 in time for next season and has good size for a cornerback, so it's likely some general manager will give him a sweet deal.

Yet he also only has recorded five career interceptions in four seasons, and it's hard to see how he deserves $50 million for that."

Wasn't Smith the one who was really bad when we played the Dolphins?

Yes. He was out of position and could rarely locate the ball on time. It is one thing to have attitude issues like Vontae Davis had that got fixed with a change of scenario but another to have a whole year of not so stellar play.

Of course there is two sides to that coin in doing that, you could be releasing a Cassius Vaughn for....well another Cassius Vaughn, Im not saying thats what he is but 1 pick in 45 games later Im not jumping at the chance to get him especially taking into account Pitt is not known for having great Corners 

Keenan Lewis does not get thrown on that often because he is good in coverage and gets more passes defensed than INTs. He is like a Ladarius Webb waiting to happen if Pagano's coaches get their hands on him, IMO. He is definitely better than Cassius Vaughn and Jerraud Powers for the man coverage we expect.

Pass.

I'd much rather have Keenan Lewis, Mike Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Chris Houston or another FA corner than pay 8 mill/year for Sean Smith.

But really I'd prefer to grab Johnthan Banks or Xavier Rhodes in the first round of the draft. Use FA to improve OG, OLB, DE and maybe SS as well.

Of course there's no guarantee that either will be there at 24, but I do think there's a better chance for that than a stud OLB or 34 DE.

Speaking of Miami, I'd love to see the Colts add Randy Starks to the D-line.

We were anxious to get rid of Tim Jennings. Last seen in Hawaii.

Sometimes a player just need a change of scenery and the right system.

We never had a front 7 as good as the Bears had this year.  Especially when they were all healthy.  A great pass rush and very good linebackers can make a secondary look great.  I can't name the DB's from when the Giants beat the Patriots the first time but everyone knew they had some great pass rushers that helped make up for a lack of great corners.  He's a good ball player but that front 7 made him look like an All-Pro corner.  I'd also take Tillman over Jennings any day of the week.

If they are looking at Williams, whose looking for 8-9mil/yr, I'd much rather push harder for Smith. Younger, bigger, and has better skills in my opinion.

I'm just not that impressed with Williams.

Agreed 100%.

Smith's a player I would definitely support us going after, but the same caveat is there with all free agent targets- we can't overpay too much. He won't come cheap no matter how we slice it.

I often wonder if people even really know what they are talking about when it comes to players on other teams. It's been pointed out by me, as well as others, that Smith has been one of the very worst CB's in the league the last 2 yrs. in the NFL and for some reason some people think we should pay to bring him here simply because the guy has good size. Guess what people, size don't mean anything if the guy still sucks and the last 2 yrs, thats exactly what Smith has done......SUCKED!!!

...A great pass rush and very good linebackers can make a secondary look great."

A reality that is either too hard to grasp or too easily discarded by some football fans.

Dline & Linebackers should ALWAYS be the priority over DBs. Once those positions are manned (appropriately) then Safeties and finally CBs are a concern. Without the former, it doesn't matter who is playing the latter. They will get burned.

Now some reservoir of profootballtalk.com/rumormillesque brilliance will retort "Well, CBs who can cover give more time to the line to get to the QB!"

To that I say...."No, stupid."

That (CBs who can cover) helps, but you do not build a defense around it. The first goal is pressure & collapsing the pocket. Which not only leads to sacks...it leads to poor decisions by the QB...and then your good DBs and their skill sets shine (turnovers).

When our Dline and LB corps is taken care of, then I'll focus all of my posting energy on ranting about DBs.