Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Paul Kruger won't be resigned by Baltimore.

J. Michael of CSN Baltimore says impending free agent OLB Paul Kruger "definitely" won't be re-signed by the Ravens.

Kruger posted regular season career-highs in tackles (42) and sacks (nine), and is reportedly seeking a contract in the $40 million range. His stock is on the rise after emerging on the national stage with a postseason flurry. Kruger graded out as a top-seven 3-4 outside linebacker in 2012 by Pro Football Focus. The Baltimore Sun suggests he could be a candidate for the franchise tag if the Ravens agree to a long-term extension with Joe Flacco before free agency.

Per Rotoworld.

If this comes out to be true, hopefully Pagano can get him and ED Reed to play for the blue and white. Reed may not be he Ed Reed of old, but he will be one heck of an upgrade over Zibs.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Colts really willing to invest 40M on a guy that's had one good season.

I know he'd be a great fit, but it's one hell of a risk to throw 40M a guy like Kruger. 40M is more than Mathis. Can we honestly say that he's a more valuable and better player than Mathis. I dont know.

40M is a lot.

Are the Colts really willing to invest 40M on a guy that's had one good season.

I know he'd be a great fit, but it's one hell of a risk to throw 40M a guy like Kruger. 40M is more than Mathis. Can we honestly say that he's a more valuable and better player than Mathis. I dont know.

40M is a lot.

Yeah he doesn't deserve more than Mathis. Especially for one years production. Contract year at that.

If we are going to let Freeney walk (which I think we are) we should kick the tires.  He knows the system we run and had great success in it this year.  he looks to be a logical replacement for Freeney.  Also for people complaining about the money you don't get good players for cheap in free agency if they are young.  Also of course he's going to set his asking price high going into this.  It would be up to a GM to talk his agent down some. 

I'd pass and draft his brother in the later rounds while drafting Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd, we would be throwing money at a guy to play the Freeney role who I think is suited for the Mathis role

Robert Mathis can easily move over and play Freeney's role which is better for him and let Kruger play his normal role. Works out for the both of them

The Cowboys are $18M over the Cap and need to sign Romo. Any chance Spencer will be a Cowboy next season?

He would help our D A LOT over Mathis but I believe he plays the same side as Mathis. Don`t see it happening.

The Mathis deal was goofy considering his age and the scheme change. IMO. Sorta stuck with him for 2 more years.

Kruger has been playing well. He played behind Jarrett Johnson for a couple years, who was a very good run stopper but a poor pass rusher. The Ravens let Johnson go in FA making Kruger the FT starter this year. At 26, Kruger should improve.

Wait and see.

Man, I was a big advocate of the 'Get Paul Kruger' movement. But 40mil is a lot of cash to give up on a guy that had one good season, especially when we have quite a few holes left to fill. If we can get him cheaper then great, but otherwise I'd turn my attention further towards Anthony Spencer.

Robert Mathis can easily move over and play Freeney's role which is better for him and let Kruger play his normal role. Works out for the both of them

If we are moving Mathis over to play Freeney's role just insert Hughes into Mathis's role, Hughes showed last year he can do that role well on limited snaps, he deserves to be the full time starter in that role in that case, I been saying you cant produce at high level being rotated in and out like Hughes has been

First $40 million is too much, especially for a person who has only shined one year. The second point I make is more relevant, and why I would not acquire Kruger.

Think of the name Adalius Thomas. Remember him only a few years back. The Patriots who are very selective in Free Agency signed him for quite the $$$ and what did they get. Not much. How about Bart Scott. First year after he left Baltimore he had an OK year, but downhill since then. Jarrett Johnson, same thing, played in Balt. and in FA last year SD swept in and got him. Has not produced a lot for the $$ paid. It seems that linebackers playing in that Baltimore system look very good. Playing next to Ray Lewis helps a lot, but being behing Haloti Ngata when he takes 2 guys on really helps you look good. That is why I would not do it. I think the system and players he plays with make him look much better. And even with that, he has only produced one good season!

Kruger has been a distinctly average player, sometimes below, until the last few weeks of this season. $40m would be an outrage. 

I would agree with the 40 mil being too much. Paul and his agent are going to cash in regardless. Its a tough call. This guy could be the next big thing but right now I would say that he should expect a lesser contract than what we gave Robert Mathis last year.

If we are moving Mathis over to play Freeney's role just insert Hughes into Mathis's role, Hughes showed last year he can do that role well on limited snaps, he deserves to be the full time starter in that role in that case, I been saying you cant produce at high level being rotated in and out like Hughes has been

I think U and I banter back and forth last week about Hughes. I'm not as high on him as you are but I really do think that Mathis' role should be the Freeney role this year and Hughes and or new guy should be the Mathis role this year. I like Robert's hand on the ground more than standing up and I think Hughes is better off standing up. I do like Kruger though just from what I saw of him this year. I don't wanna see us give him a contract that is out of the ball park though. That's not smart team building

First $40 million is too much, especially for a person who has only shined one year. The second point I make is more relevant, and why I would not acquire Kruger.

Think of the name Adalius Thomas. Remember him only a few years back. The Patriots who are very selective in Free Agency signed him for quite the $$$ and what did they get. Not much. How about Bart Scott. First year after he left Baltimore he had an OK year, but downhill since then. Jarrett Johnson, same thing, played in Balt. and in FA last year SD swept in and got him. Has not produced a lot for the $$ paid. It seems that linebackers playing in that Baltimore system look very good. Playing next to Ray Lewis helps a lot, but being behing Haloti Ngata when he takes 2 guys on really helps you look good. That is why I would not do it. I think the system and players he plays with make him look much better. And even with that, he has only produced one good season!

Good post. I like different point of views on topics. I think tho that Bart Scott did play well for the Jets. Better than Thomas did for the Pats. Plus we play the Baltimore defense now so Kruger should be able to step right in. I like your points about playing with other top defensive players that's a valid point. FA is a risk. I'd take a shot at Kruger all the same. $40 million tho? No that's too much. There are other options that make more sense than overpaying for one player.

Whether we go after Kruger or not I think the great thing about this off season is that we finally have some cap $ to spend on FA and that there are some nice options out there for players that can help us get better. Grigson has done a great job of reshaping this roster and dumping a lot of dead weight and dead salary. I can't wait to see what we do.

40 million seems like too much to me, especially considering Kruger got a lot of help from the overall good Ravens D. While I do think we'll be better next year, there are other established players that we could draft or get in FA that would immediately make an impact. I'm not comfortable relying on Jerry Hughes as a full-time replacement if Mathis is moved over. We already lacked a superb pass rush, and Hughes was eliminated from most rushing plays.

There are many others, Ed Hartwell, Kim Manning, Duane Starks,Jim Leonard, to name a few. I'm a big Paul Kruger and Ed Reed fan, but the Baltimore system is what makes them . Take alot of these guys out of the system, and they are not nearly as dominate elsewhere. Redding did well, as some others did, but they never achieved the same heights they did in Baltimore. The Wizard of Oz makes sure we are well-stocked with great defensive players, and have great defensive co-ordinators. Many of them become great head coaches elsewhere, as you well know.

I think grigson will acquire players based on this formula . A how productive has he been throughout his career not just in a contact season B the players durability not likely to take injury proned players C there age I think he wants to build a young talented team!! Although Kruger does have ties with pagano I think it would be a mistake to overpay for him he will most likely cash in because he is hot right now but I'll pass

I would agree with the 40 mil being too much. Paul and his agent are going to cash in regardless. Its a tough call. This guy could be the next big thing but right now I would say that he should expect a lesser contract than what we gave Robert Mathis last year.

I think U and I banter back and forth last week about Hughes. I'm not as high on him as you are but I really do think that Mathis' role should be the Freeney role this year and Hughes and or new guy should be the Mathis role this year. I like Robert's hand on the ground more than standing up and I think Hughes is better off standing up. I do like Kruger though just from what I saw of him this year. I don't wanna see us give him a contract that is out of the ball park though. That's not smart team building

agreed, Kruger would not be a bad option of course, that would be silly to say that but I think his little brother would provide what Paul can do for a cheaper price