Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Paul Kruger won't be resigned by Baltimore.

Hmmm. New England, Washington, Tennessee, Miami and Dallas. New England tends to get people for cheap, but those five would probably throw money at him.

I don't see NE, Tenn.,Miami, or Dallas throwing out money for Kruger. Kruger is a prototypical 3-4 OLBer and all those teams are 4-3 teams. Plus Dallas is 18 million over the cap and have their own free agents they need to sign, so Dallas is out of the question.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wary of this guy... 42 tackles? Didn't Jerry Hughes have that many? Kruger is very streaky as well with most of his sacks coming at the end of the season. I like him, but as a budget guy, not somebody who will make more than Mathis.

Hughes had 41 just as a rotational player

I'm wary of this guy... 42 tackles? Didn't Jerry Hughes have that many? Kruger is very streaky as well with most of his sacks coming at the end of the season. I like him, but as a budget guy, not somebody who will make more than Mathis.

I agree. I like Kruger, but for anything close to 40 million, somebody else can give that to him. Nobody even knew who this guy was till Suggs came back this season, which is exactly when Krugers stats started piling up. Take suggs back out and Kruger disappears again. I wouldn't mind having him, but it would have to be for much less money IMO.

Balzer40, on 03 Feb 2013 - 10:32, said:

I don't see NE, Tenn.,Miami, or Dallas throwing out money for Kruger. Kruger is a prototypical 3-4 OLBer and all those teams are 4-3 teams. Plus Dallas is 18 million over the cap and have their own free agents they need to sign, so Dallas is out of the question.

I know Dallas is over, and I'm not saying these teams WILL go after him. I'm just saying typically those five go after the *bigger* names, and usually spend a lot of money when it isn't needed.

Yeah appearently Baltimore could very well be letting Boldind go as well to free up about 5.5 million in cap space. They are in a crunch becuase appearetly there about 5 mil over the cap and they need to work out a long term deal with Flacco as well. So I think one if not both of these guys could be free. Baltimore has some tough decesions coming up.

Again, people balking at his price tag keep in mind that's what his agent gets paid to do so of course he's going to set the price high.

With that said you don't get young good players who have developed a name for themselves in free agency for cheap.  That's the reason why Polian steered clear of it for so many years because he knew you would almost always end up over paying in free agency because you are bidding against other teams in a market where a guy almost always goes to the team that will give him the most money. 

Kruger plays maybe the second most valuable position in the NFL which is a pass rusher behind a franchise QB because that is really what the NFL is becoming about having a franchise QB who can score points and making sure your defense can get to the other teams.  So yeah a guy like Kruger is going to get good money because his position is extremely valued in the NFL right now.  Add to that the Colts are looking to replace one of the main stays on their defense and frankly the peace that our defense was built around for a lot of years in Dwight Freeney and it's okay to spend some money on that guy. 

With that said I am not saying the Colts should rush in and blindly give Kruger 40 million because they need a pass rusher either.  I think like anyone making a major investment the Colts need to do their homework.  I am going to assume that before Grigson gives anyone a contract he's going to do that and if he does it with Kruger he's going to believe based on that homework that he's not just a one year player playing well in a contract year.  He should be helped in that decision making process by Pagano who coached the man for a year and probably has an idea of if this year was a one year wonder for Kruger or if he is just coming into his zone.  I could also easily see the Colts deciding to just shift Mathis to Freeney's spot and using Hughes as the other OLB.  If they go get a guy like Kruger or even draft a pass rushing OLB it's a clear sign that they don't think Jerry Hughes is ever going to be a starter in this league and again it's okay if they do that but it's what that move means.  Still I would remember they are looking to replace Dwight Freeney and odds are you aren't going to do that on the cheap rather it be threw free agency or threw the draft (meaning you would use a high draft pick to do it). 

Yeah appearently Baltimore could very well be letting Boldind go as well to free up about 5.5 million in cap space. They are in a crunch becuase appearetly there about 5 mil over the cap and they need to work out a long term deal with Flacco as well. So I think one if not both of these guys could be free. Baltimore has some tough decesions coming up.

and that price tag on Flacco just keeps getting higher I am sure the Raven wished they had just done the deal before the season and saved themselves some money.  Colts fans need to remember this when Luck's deal is up or close to being up sometimes when it looks like you are over paying for a player before his contract is done you are really getting a deal. 

and that price tag on Flacco just keeps getting higher I am sure the Raven wished they had just done the deal before the season and saved themselves some money.  Colts fans need to remember this when Luck's deal is up or close to being up sometimes when it looks like you are over paying for a player before his contract is done you are really getting a deal.

Yeah definatley sould be a little lesson for us and other teams around the leauge. Get a deal done soon rather than later because waiting can cause you to make big sacrafices that you dont really wanna make. Thiers even talk supposedly of them parting with jacoby Jones thier other reciver. If they lose both these guys thats gonna be a huge hit!

40m? I wouldn't pay more than 6m a year for him. I'd say a contract of about 7 years 40m sounds nice. 

7 Years?    7 Years?!?      There might not be 5 players I'd give a 7-year contract to.    Seriously.

I don't anyone getting more than 5-years from the Colts, and I'd prefer 4-years.   7 Years is way, Way, WAY too long.

Sorry.  

Yeah definatley sould be a little lesson for us and other teams around the leauge. Get a deal done soon rather than later because waiting can cause you to make big sacrafices that you dont really wanna make. Thiers even talk supposedly of them parting with jacoby Jones thier other reciver. If they lose both these guys thats gonna be a huge hit!

I look at it this way IF you think you have a guy that can be a great QB in the NFL and you are wondering if you should extend his deal or not I would side on the side that he probably will be and remember that in the NFL contracts are not guaranteed so in all likely hood if you are wrong you can probably get out of it.  Yes you might end up having to rebuild from getting out of it but if he's not good or if he is good and you let him leave you are going end up rebuilding anyways. 

7 Years?    7 Years?!?      There might not be 5 players I'd give a 7-year contract to.    Seriously.

I don't anyone getting more than 5-years from the Colts, and I'd prefer 4-years.   7 Years is way, Way, WAY too long.

Sorry.

Why is it too long?

Also, I said that since he wants money around the 40m range, and I wouldn't want the Colts to pay any more than 6m a year for a player like him, hence the 7 yr contract.

J. Michael of CSN Baltimore says impending free agent OLB Paul Kruger "definitely" won't be re-signed by the Ravens.

Kruger posted regular season career-highs in tackles (42) and sacks (nine), and is reportedly seeking a contract in the $40 million range. His stock is on the rise after emerging on the national stage with a postseason flurry. Kruger graded out as a top-seven 3-4 outside linebacker in 2012 by Pro Football Focus. The Baltimore Sun suggests he could be a candidate for the franchise tag if the Ravens agree to a long-term extension with Joe Flacco before free agency.

Per Rotoworld.

If this comes out to be true, hopefully Pagano can get him and ED Reed to play for the blue and white. Reed may not be he Ed Reed of old, but he will be one heck of an upgrade over Zibs.

$40M?  Sure, I'd love to give him a 9 year deal.

Why is it too long?Also, I said that since he wants money around the 40m range, and I wouldn't want the Colts to pay any more than 6m a year for a player like him, hence the 7 yr contract.

i would give him a 7 year deal..if it has an out after the 3rd year. Realistically, nobody gets a 7 year deal in the nfl

There's no way he gets away from b more. You don't let one of your top pass rushers go and if he performs in the Super Bowl. They will find a way to keep him.

Well if they want to keep Flacco they might have to let him walk.

Well if they want to keep Flacco they might have to let him walk.

You are correct. They will keep Flacco for sure and there does come a point in time that the camel just can't carry the load anymore. Forget that Mario Williams was hurt and had a bad year. Houston just "had" to let him go. Only so many ways you can cut the pie ? Now I have no idea if they actually have the room for both guys but I do feel as you do. It might not be feasable to resign Kruger.

Why is it too long?

Also, I said that since he wants money around the 40m range, and I wouldn't want the Colts to pay any more than 6m a year for a player like him, hence the 7 yr contract.

It's too long because it has the potential to trap you in Salary Cap Heck.   The same place we've been trapped in this year.   I don't want to revisit it.    Rarely do you see a player get longer than a 5-year deal.   And I don't think Kruger is worth the risk/reward involved.

Also, it starts a dangerous precedent.   Once you give Paul Kruger 7 years, then other possible FA's will who are as good or better (in their view) will want that length of time if not longer.    Starts the franchise down a dangerous road that I don't think we want to travel.

Just my opinion.....

It's too long because it has the potential to trap you in Salary Cap Heck. The same place we've been trapped in this year. I don't want to revisit it. Rarely do you see a player get longer than a 5-year deal. And I don't think Kruger is worth the risk/reward involved.

Also, it starts a dangerous precedent. Once you give Paul Kruger 7 years, then other possible FA's will who are as good or better (in their view) will want that length of time if not longer. Starts the franchise down a dangerous road that I don't think we want to travel.

Just my opinion.....

Not sure how you see a contract that long straps a team. More than likely a contract like that will be front loaded leaving the remaining years (last 3 lets say) at basically just base salaries which would be cheap. They did that with Mathis' second contract. He got something like 24-26mil up front and then his last two years were just 3mil. Polian structured that well just in case Mathis happened to fall off production wise he costs you virtually nothing to release him. Front load that deal that way in the back half of his contract he may not even see the last 8-10mil if his production declines and he ends up released.

I'll sign any FA from Baltimore not called Joe Flacco.

Sign the beasts Grigs. Bring the Super Bowl mojo to us.

We can always do o line in the draft too.....

C'mon Jules, you're getting caught up in the moment. We need to make O-line the priority before anything else. You know this, I know you're a smart football fan. I wouldn't mind bringing in Kruger, but it has to be for a reasonable price and the 40 million he's supposedly seeking, is not reasonable. I also wouldn't mind Cary Williams, but that would be it as far as Baltimore's free agents. Focus everything else on O-line. We can do better than a 35 yr. old Ed Reed too. Whatever team signs him will be paying for his name and not so much the skills that once made him a HOF safety. Those skills have diminished quite a bit and he isn't worth the money.

I think Kruger would be great. He may not be that well known to the casual fan.

Not league popular like JJ Watt. But this guy is an excellent player.

Kruger has a non stop motor. Great jump off the ball. A natural.

Since we need pass rushers bad, there is no better option than Paul Kruger.

However, I dont see Baltimore letting him get away.

C'mon Jules, you're getting caught up in the moment. We need to make O-line the priority before anything else. You know this, I know you're a smart football fan. I wouldn't mind bringing in Kruger, but it has to be for a reasonable price and the 40 million he's supposedly seeking, is not reasonable. I also wouldn't mind Cary Williams, but that would be it as far as Baltimore's free agents. Focus everything else on O-line. We can do better than a 35 yr. old Ed Reed too. Whatever team signs him will be paying for his name and not so much the skills that once made him a HOF safety. Those skills have diminished quite a bit and he isn't worth the money.

Okay, just because o-line is our biggest need doesn't mean we can't sign other free agents.  We have 40 million to spend.  While a good chunk of that should go to the line it's not ALL going to go to the line.  The Colts would be foolish if it did because they have other needs besides the line.  I would also say finding a guy to replace the guy who has been your corner stone on defense for years is a pretty high priority too.  While it doesn't have to be Kruger odds are you aren't going to replace Freeney on the cheap rather you do it threw free agency or with a really high draft pick.

Also just because Kruger wants 40 million doesn't mean he will get 40 million.  He'll get what the market says he can get.  Again of course Kruger and his agent are going to set the price tag super high that's their job.  Now it's up to NFL GMs to figure out if he's worth it or not.  If they don't think he is they wont give him that kind of money.  Also I am pretty sure if Grigson does give him that kind of money he's not going to do it blindly.  I think it's safe to assume he's going to do his homework on him and figure out if he thinks this was just a contract year performance or if he is just coming into his zone.  The fact he has Pagano who coached the man for a year as his DC and the Colts defense runs a system similar to the Ravens should help him make about as an informed decision as he can make. 

I think Kruger would be great. He may not be that well known to the casual fan.

Not league popular like JJ Watt. But this guy is an excellent player.

Kruger has a non stop motor. Great jump off the ball. A natural.

Since we need pass rushers bad, there is no better option than Paul Kruger.

However, I dont see Baltimore letting him get away.

A lot of it depends on Flacco. If they franchise him they'll be tight for cap space and will have to restructure a lot of contracts. They may let him test the market but I suspect he'll be offered more than they're willing to pay.

I don't think he's proven himself as a great player, but if we're not going to re-sign DF, we need to get a pass rusher.

Okay, just because o-line is our biggest need doesn't mean we can't sign other free agents.  We have 40 million to spend.  While a good chunk of that should go to the line it's not ALL going to go to the line.  The Colts would be foolish if it did because they have other needs besides the line.  I would also say finding a guy to replace the guy who has been your corner stone on defense for years is a pretty high priority too.  While it doesn't have to be Kruger odds are you aren't going to replace Freeney on the cheap rather you do it threw free agency or with a really high draft pick.

Also just because Kruger wants 40 million doesn't mean he will get 40 million.  He'll get what the market says he can get.  Again of course Kruger and his agent are going to set the price tag super high that's their job.  Now it's up to NFL GMs to figure out if he's worth it or not.  If they don't think he is they wont give him that kind of money.  Also I am pretty sure if Grigson does give him that kind of money he's not going to do it blindly.  I think it's safe to assume he's going to do his homework on him and figure out if he thinks this was just a contract year performance or if he is just coming into his zone.  The fact he has Pagano who coached the man for years and the Colts defense runs a system similar to the Ravens should help him make about as an informed decision as he can make. 

Im not suggesting to not spend the money anywhere other than O-line, but I hope we spend it wisely and don't overpay players for namesake alone or because a player had a good half a season. I like Kruger and if we can get him for less than the 40 million he's seeking, I would be all for it.

Im not suggesting to not spend the money anywhere other than O-line, but I hope we spend it wisely and don't overpay players for namesake alone or because a player had a good half a season. I like Kruger and if we can get him for less than the 40 million he's seeking, I would be all for it.

Again IF the Colts elect to give him that kind of money I don't think they will be doing it because they are over paying just to get a big name.  I think Grigson proved he isn't that kind of GM when he let Garcon walk last year rather than over paying him.  If Grigson gives him that kind of money it's going to be because Grigson thinks he is worth it or worth something near to it.  The problem with Free Agency, and the reason Polian avoided it for years, is that if you want a good young player you are going to end up over paying for him some what because you are pretty much in a bidding war.  That's not a case with Kruger that's a case with free agency in general.  So any good young player we get if they have any kind of name we are going to over pay some what.  With that said, the key is to make sure you don't turn a $15 million dollar player into a $40 million dollar player.  That's where Grigson has to do his homework and if he thinks Kruger is closer to the 15 million range he wont over pay to get him.