Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South 2013

ThorstenDenmark

Its kind of hard to predict when we have no idea what our roster will look like next season, or any of the other teams for that matter.

I'll say this, If we can fix the O-line and add 1 or 2 pieces on defense, I have no doubt we'll be back on top of the AFC South.

1. The Texans appear to be our biggest threat. They are still a very complete team and it looks like they will continue to be next year. Just as we will look to improve with draft picks, they will be looking to do the same. I think that we can expect them to look for a difference making receiver to accompany Johnson.

2. The Titans have shown this year that they have a strong defensive front and a good LB corps. They, like us are lacking in their secondary. I expect them to look to upgrade here. Their offense is now in the hands of Locker, and next year may be the "make or break" year for him. He had mixed results this year and no one is sure that he is the answer at QB. They may start to run the pistol or spread read-option since he is very mobile and recent trends show how effective this style of offense can be. They will also be looking to upgrade their O-line--who isn't?

3. The Jaguars have many issues, starting with their O-line and moving to the most important position, the QB. Currently, they do not have a QB on their roster that would scare many NFL defenses. If they stick with Gabbert, that would be the best thing they could do for us. MJD is approaching his last year of his contract, so I expect him to try to earn a new high-paying one.

4. The COLTS!!! We have struck gold this past draft. Obviously the addition of Andrew Luck and the acquisition of many additional talented rookies has positioned us for many years of future success. We need to address the O-line (badly) and our secondary and we can be in contention for a superbowl. Obviously there are more holes to fill than just what I've mentioned, but I've never seen a "perfect" team. We just need to address these issues without a drop-off in other positions and we should be fine. The great thing is that with our draft picks and the cap space, we can actually look to have a complete team, or pretty close.

1. The Texans appear to be our biggest threat. They are still a very complete team and it looks like they will continue to be next year. Just as we will look to improve with draft picks, they will be looking to do the same. I think that we can expect them to look for a difference making receiver to accompany Johnson.

2. The Titans have shown this year that they have a strong defensive front and a good LB corps. They, like us are lacking in their secondary. I expect them to look to upgrade here. Their offense is now in the hands of Locker, and next year may be the "make or break" year for him. He had mixed results this year and no one is sure that he is the answer at QB. They may start to run the pistol or spread read-option since he is very mobile and recent trends show how effective this style of offense can be. They will also be looking to upgrade their O-line--who isn't?

3. The Jaguars have many issues, starting with their O-line and moving to the most important position, the QB. Currently, they do not have a QB on their roster that would scare many NFL defenses. If they stick with Gabbert, that would be the best thing they could do for us. MJD is approaching his last year of his contract, so I expect him to try to earn a new high-paying one.

4. The COLTS!!! We have struck gold this past draft. Obviously the addition of Andrew Luck and the acquisition of many additional talented rookies has positioned us for many years of future success. We need to address the O-line (badly) and our secondary and we can be in contention for a superbowl. Obviously there are more holes to fill than just what I've mentioned, but I've never seen a "perfect" team. We just need to address these issues without a drop-off in other positions and we should be fine. The great thing is that with our draft picks and the cap space, we can actually look to have a complete team, or pretty close.

If Ihad to rank the teams as they could rank in 2013, I would say:

1. Texans

2. Colts

3. Titans

4. Jaguars

The Texans were worse in 12 than 11, and that trend will continue. Shaub has shown he's not elite. Johnson is getting older and more susceptible to injuries, and their D has also regressed. If anyone needs proof of hat, just watch the last ten minutes of our regular season game or their game against the Pats. Someone here made an excellent point about Wade Phillips Ds and how they fade.

The other two teams are both messes. This division will once again be ours to lose.

The Texans were worse in 12 than 11, and that trend will continue. Shaub has shown he's not elite. Johnson is getting older and more susceptible to injuries, and their D has also regressed. If anyone needs proof of hat, just watch the last ten minutes of our regular season game or their game against the Pats. Someone here made an excellent point about Wade Phillips Ds and how they fade.

The other two teams are both messes. This division will once again be ours to lose.

Based on what? Not their record.

I know their defense took a step backward, but so did the Falcons. It happens. But the 2012 Texans were definitely better. They faltered down the stretch, and maybe they do have issues that they need to resolve, but I'd take this year's iteration over last year's every time.

Based on what? Not their record.

I know their defense took a step backward, but so did the Falcons. It happens. But the 2012 Texans were definitely better. They faltered down the stretch, and maybe they do have issues that they need to resolve, but I'd take this year's iteration over last year's every time.

Based on the end of the season. I think that's who they are. Their D was exploited by several teams down the stretch.

If you were a Texan fan would you be expecting a better year based on how the season ended? I'd be concerned.

Based on the end of the season. I think that's who they are. Their D was exploited by several teams down the stretch.

If you were a Texan fan would you be expecting a better year based on how the season ended? I'd be concerned.

I understand being concerned moving forward. But this year's team started 9-1, then fell off. Maybe they don't have the right stuff to be contenders, maybe they'll fall apart every season, but I don't think the 2011 team was better than the 2012 team. No way.

Put it this way: Would the 2011 Colts have beaten the 2012 Texans in Week 17 of this year? I say no way.

I guess that's not even what your point is. Like you say, I can see them being concerned about some of their flaws moving forward, but there's no doubt in my mind that they were better this year than last year.

I understand being concerned moving forward. But this year's team started 9-1, then fell off. Maybe they don't have the right stuff to be contenders, maybe they'll fall apart every season, but I don't think the 2011 team was better than the 2012 team. No way.

Put it this way: Would the 2011 Colts have beaten the 2012 Texans in Week 17 of this year? I say no way.

I guess that's not even what your point is. Like you say, I can see them being concerned about some of their flaws moving forward, but there's no doubt in my mind that they were better this year than last year.

I say Yes. Dan Orlosky was the MAN!! haha

Did you see that floater he threw to Reggie down the middle over Kareem Jackson? Whooo, just beautiful haha

This year:

Texans

Colts

Titans 

Jags

How do you think it will look next year? I hope the colts are able to win it, but the texans might still be the 5% better next year than the colts, and the titans and jags are a mess and needs to rebuild again before they can challenge the top 2.

But what are you thinking?

This year:

Texans

Colts

Titans 

Jags

How do you think it will look next year? I hope the colts are able to win it, but the texans might still be the 5% better next year than the colts, and the titans and jags are a mess and needs to rebuild again before they can challenge the top 2.

The e
This year:

Texans

Colts

Titans 

Jags

The exact same finish.

I was correct last year in predicting the order of the AFC South! It is still way too early but I am going with the Colts as a NEW AFC division winner.

The last two years have seen the same AFC division winners. The most likely candidates for turnovers are the AFC South/AFC North next season IMO. Tough to count out Brady or Manning in terms of winning their divisions unless a miracle happens with another team in either the West/East.

Come on, I can't stomach seeing Houston winning the division again just to beat the Bengals in the WC round then to lose to a big boy team on the road. Lets do this Colts!! Please.

But, yes it is far too early to truly predict it all........have to see what we do in the offseason as well as them. I am not high on the Jags or Titans to win the South though and I doubt anyone truly is.

Texans

Colts

Titans

Jaguars

Nothing dramatic, expecting the same old same old.

Two years is the new "same ole same ole" now, huh?  lmao  Don't shovel that drivel to us Colts fans man! The Colts wrote the book on how to dominate this division and hold it down long term. 

The Texans remind me of the Titans back in the early 2000's.  The Manning era Colts tusseled back in forth with them for a brief period before totally wresting the division away for the next decade.  I feel that a similiar wresting will eventually be effectuated by these Luck-era Colts.  It may be next year or maybe the following year but it's just a matter of time. 

Not only that but IF the Colts won the division again who wouldn't want to draw the Texans in our first playoff game at home in the Luck era?

Our odds vs. Houston in Indy.....well pretty decent. :) It's like strange stuff happens to the Texans when they come here. They stop roaring and start meowing!

1.  Colts.

2.  Titans

3.  Texans

4.  Jags

Andrew Luck and Colts take "the Leap."  Texans tumble back.  Schaub showed this year he's the weak link and as long as he's their QB, the Texans won't do much.  Titans only improve marginally, but it's still enough to overtake the Texans for second place.  Jags will remain horrible.

Two years is the new "same ole same ole" now, huh?  lmao  Don't shovel that drivel to us Colts fans man! The Colts wrote the book on how to dominate this division and hold it down long term. 

The Texans remind me of the Titans back in the early 2000's.  The Manning era Colts tusseled back in forth with them for a brief period before totally wresting the division away for the next decade.  I feel that a similiar wresting will eventually be effectuated by these Luck-era Colts.  It may be next year or maybe the following year but it's just a matter of time. 

By same old same old I was saying the Texans being the best, the Colts being second, and the others just being completely confused. Yes, it is the new same old same old, and I don't expect anything to be wrestled away for a decade again. That was a sports and a football anomaly so don't be surprised if it doesn't happen again my friend. Both our teams look competitive and I don't expect a decade of utter dominance from either.

outside their Forum, they are feeling pretty good about themselves. Go to the Texan's forum and you can see they have no confidents in their quarterback or coach. I think they are about as good as they will get.

No. Nobody is ever as good as they are going to get. There's always room for improvement, and expect them to continue do so next year, just as we did this year.

By same old same old I was saying the Texans being the best, the Colts being second, and the others just being completely confused. Yes, it is the new same old same old, and I don't expect anything to be wrestled away for a decade again. That was a sports and a football anomaly so don't be surprised if it doesn't happen again my friend. Both our teams look competitive and I don't expect a decade of utter dominance from either.

The Titans looked competitive too back in the day.  But they were veteran laden and the salary cap caught up with them.   IMO the arrow is pointing down on the Texans given their current salary cap situation.  They seem to have hit a plateau and will likely take a step back over the offseason.  They have been good enough to win the division primarily because the Colts were going through a transition period and even that has proven shorter than our division rivals would have hoped. Even when winning the division, the Texans have yet to show they can get past the big dogs in the AFC to advance to that next level.  Meanwhile, the arrow is pointing up on the Colts, they are a rising young team with money to burn to continue building.  I expect the Colts to go back and forth with the Texans for a period but believe they eventually wrest away control of the division once Luck really takes off . 

The Titans looked competitive too back in the day. But they were veteran laden and the salary cap caught with them. IMO the arrow is pointing down on the Texans given their current salary cap situation. They seem to have hit a plateau and will likely take a step back over the offseason. They have been good enough to win the division primarily because the Colts were going through a transition period and even that has proven shorter than our division rivals would have hoped. Even when winning the division, the Texans have yet to show they can get past the big dogs in the AFC to advance to that next level. Meanwhile, the arrow is pointing up on the Colts, they are a rising young team with money to burn to continue building. I expect the Colts to go back and forth with the Texans for a period but believe they eventually wrest away control of the division once Luck really takes off .
So what you're saying is the 12-4 Texans only won the division (nearly undefeated in it) was because the Colts were in transition. Sure man. I wouldn't consider the Ravens the big dogs in the AFC considering the way we manhandled them this year and the Patriots are, well, the Patriots. In any case I think we win it again this year. My opinion on the matter, imaginary arrows aside. :)

So what you're saying is the 12-4 Texans only won the division (nearly undefeated in it) was because the Colts were in transition. Sure man. I wouldn't consider the Ravens the big dogs in the AFC considering the way we manhandled them this year and the Patriots are, well, the Patriots. In any case I think we win it again this year. My opinion on the matter, imaginary arrows aside. :)

Your entitled to your opinion as a Texans fan and I have mine as a Colts fan.  I wouldn't expect anything less from you.  ;)   All I can say is 2-14 last year and this year with a team full of rookies in our "rebuilding year" we have already closed the gap to 1 game behind you guys.  We are only going to get better from here so your Texans better step it up.   I feel pretty confident going forward.