Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have hired Jimmy Raye as personel man

1959Colts

I'm kind of nonplussed by this. On the one hand, I like going out of the building to bring in new blood. Raye's gotten a lot of attention over the past four years or so, and he's well thought of around the league.

But on the other hand, the Chargers have been bleeding talent for about four years now and not doing a good job of replacing it. Probably can't hold Raye responsible for that anymore than you can hold Telesco responsible for our talent hemorrhage under the Polians (AJ Smith is probably even more stubborn and controlling than Polian), but it's still somewhat concerning. If he's responsible for scouting and personnel, then it's at least part of his job description.

Either way, welcome to the Colts, Mr. Raye. I hope you prove to be a valuable asset for our management team.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/1/5/709325/getting-to-know-a-gm-jimmy

http://prod.www.chargers.clubs.nfl.com/team/staff/jimmy-raye/d404d273-aaaf-4c70-9039-a1bb35f1fe8b

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7471282/chicago-bears-interview-san-diego-chargers-jimmy-raye-general-manager-job

I'm kind of nonplussed by this. On the one hand, I like going out of the building to bring in new blood. Raye's gotten a lot of attention over the past four years or so, and he's well thought of around the league.

But on the other hand, the Chargers have been bleeding talent for about four years now and not doing a good job of replacing it. Probably can't hold Raye responsible for that anymore than you can hold Telesco responsible for our talent hemorrhage under the Polians (AJ Smith is probably even more stubborn and controlling than Polian), but it's still somewhat concerning. If he's responsible for scouting and personnel, then it's at least part of his job description.

Losing Sproles, VJax, Cromartie, Turner, and A.J.Smith being a jerk to Marcus McNeil, their pro bowl LT at one time, was not going to prompt players to play for the Chargers. You have to keep in mind that A.J.Smith still called all the shots.

I heard Raye's name mentioned as the 'can't miss' successor in SanDiego....until Tom Telesco swept SanDiego off of their feet.  According to a couple of Google sources:

• When Raye was director of college scouting for Chargers, they got Drew Brees and Ladanian Tomlinson in the same draft, and also when SD got: Shaun Merriman, Darren Sproles, Louis Castillo, Phillip Rivers,  Michael Turner, Nick Hardwick, Shaun Phillips, Nate Kaeding and Vincent Jackson.

How many Pro Bowlers do you count?  Eight or nine?.....I did not look it up :)  To me this looks like a win for the Colts.  As we know Grigson and Pagano will go lengths to find a diamond in the rough.  With Raye on staff we add another mind who has a knack finding NFL talent.  GO  :shoe:  :helmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltshorse:  :coltsfb:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!

Edited by BrentMc11

We must have really wanted him with other GM openings.  Irsay showed him da money....

Losing Sproles, VJax, Cromartie, Turner, and A.J.Smith being a jerk to Marcus McNeil, their pro bowl LT at one time, was not going to prompt players to play for the Chargers. You have to keep in mind that A.J.Smith still called all the shots.

Every team loses good players in free agency. The problem is that they weren't doing anything to replace them. The Chargers' drafts have been underwhelming lately.

As you said, it's more on Smith than anyone else, but the primary concern (if you can even call it that; it's probably more of an observation) I have is that their drafting has been slipping.

Every team loses good players in free agency. The problem is that they weren't doing anything to replace them. The Chargers' drafts have been underwhelming lately.

As you said, it's more on Smith than anyone else, but the primary concern (if you can even call it that; it's probably more of an observation) I have is that their drafting has been slipping.

I think we'll be OK, Grigson is at the helm.

Their drafting has been good enough on the D-line, and their stout run D is proof of that, IMO. Their secondary, how long has it been since we have been hearing Jammer and Cason? Now, both of them are getting beat, much like Champ got beat yesterday. Their stout run D has not been accompanied with a bolstering of their pass rush or secondary options. Shaun Philips at LB is getting up there too and cant help with the pass rush as much as he used to.

Offensively, their O-line has gone south and that is MY biggest concern. Can Grigson, a former O-lineman draft and/or find good OLs in free agency? That is what we need to lay the foundation this year for, in the offseason.

I think it is a great move.  I would have loved to keep Tom, but they picked up a quality talent scout in Raye.  I do like how San Diego has been know to get very large, fast, and physical players.  Especially along the line.  I hope some of that was Rayes doing and he can get us some gems.

I like Phillips, carr and cason. get two of those three could help. i dont think powers and freeney will be back.

I think we'll be OK, Grigson is at the helm.

Yeah, it's still Grigson's show. Just trying to evaluate Raye's contributions with the Chargers.

Their drafting has been good enough on the D-line, and their stout run D is proof of that, IMO. Their secondary, how long has it been since we have been hearing Jammer and Cason? Now, both of them are getting beat, much like Champ got beat yesterday. Their stout run D has not been accompanied with a bolstering of their pass rush or secondary options. Shaun Philips at LB is getting up there too and cant help with the pass rush as much as he used to.

Offensively, their O-line has gone south and that is MY biggest concern. Can Grigson, a former O-lineman draft and/or find good OLs in free agency? That is what we need to lay the foundation this year for, in the offseason.

Good points. Their two most recent drafts are looking pretty decent. But from 2008 to 2010, I think they did a bad job of drafting (Larry English?)

I was just thinking about the areas that Raye was most involved in. As Director of Scouting, the draft has a lot to do with him. It's very nit-picky. He's well thought of, and the reason he didn't get the Chargers job was mostly political (just like Telesco not getting the Colts job last year -- fans wanted a new, fresh direction). I assume he's got an eye for talent, and with him in the room with Grigson and Pagano, I'm sure we'll do a good job drafting this year.

Basically a lateral move for him. 

San Diego's upcoming Free Agents:

RB's:

Ronnie Brown

Jackie Battle

Curtis Brinkley

WR's

Seyi Ajiratutu (RFA)

Danario Alexander (RFA)

Richard Goodman (RFA)

TE

Dante Rosario

OG

Rex Hadnot

Tyronne Green

Louis Vasquez

D-line

Aubrayo Franklin

Vaughn Martin

OLB

Shaun Phillips

Antwan Barnes

DB's

Chris Carr

Antoine Cason

Quentin Jammer

Corey Lynch

Ah exactly what I wanted to see, can always count on the Forum

Good points. Their two most recent drafts are looking pretty decent. But from 2008 to 2010, I think they did a bad job of drafting (Larry English?)

I was just thinking about the areas that Raye was most involved in. As Director of Scouting, the draft has a lot to do with him. It's very nit-picky. He's well thought of, and the reason he didn't get the Chargers job was mostly political (just like Telesco not getting the Colts job last year -- fans wanted a new, fresh direction). I assume he's got an eye for talent, and with him in the room with Grigson and Pagano, I'm sure we'll do a good job drafting this year.

Very similar indeed to what Colts went through. After excellent drafts under the primary direction of Bill Polian less successful ones followed under the direction of Chris Polian. However, Telesco has been with the Colts during all that time.   

Same with Raye, except that AJ Smith was the GM the whole time in San Diego

Yeah, it's still Grigson's show. Just trying to evaluate Raye's contributions with the Chargers.

The first year he isn't their college scout their drafts went downhill for a while. Seems telling.

The reason their OL has been bad is AJ Smith's refusal to draft OL early.

The first year he isn't their college scout their drafts went downhill for a while. Seems telling.

That's a fair point. I said earlier that their last really good draft was 2007, which was also the year before he got promoted to Director of Player Personnel.

I live the move.   The Chargers have been known to have a lot of talent during the years when Raye clearly was an important part of getting that talent.    Also,  I like 'lifers' like Raye who come from football families.   His father is STILL coaching in the NFL down in Tampa.

We moved quickly, so the Colts clearly wanted him and moved decisively.   I like that.   Grigson likely knows him through league circles.   

Also, and this is something that's peculiar to me....  I like that he's an African-American.   I think it's an important issue for the NFL as a whole.    Having blacks in a position of authority is important.    I'm not suggesting for a second that this played any roil in his being picked.   He got picked because he's good.   Raye being black is just an added bonus.    For me, this issue is important, and I like being on the right side of it.

Just my two cents....

That's a fair point. I said earlier that their last really good draft was 2007, which was also the year before he got promoted to Director of Player Personnel.

I think for sure a good signing. Ya think he was a little ticked that he was passed over for the GM job at SD and thus the lateral move ?

I think for sure a good signing. Ya think he was a little ticked that he was passed over for the GM job at SD and thus the lateral move ?

Maybe. He might have turned down opportunities from other teams (he's been interviewed and had interest for a few years), hoping to get a fair shot at the Chargers job. I don't think he got a fair shot at the Chargers job, just like I don't think Telesco got a fair shot at the Colts job. Difference is that I don't think Telesco turned down opportunities elsewhere because of indications that he'd get considered if Polian left. It was clear that Chris was next in line here. But there was a hierarchy in San Diego, and that was upset when Smith was fired.

And it's probably a smart move for him. The Colts have low expectations next season, given that they "overachieved" this season. He joins an established front office, on the way up, and will probably get calls next season for GM jobs again. If I were him, I'd probably stick around for a couple years before taking interviews again.

I live the move.   The Chargers have been known to have a lot of talent during the years when Raye clearly was an important part of getting that talent.    Also,  I like 'lifers' like Raye who come from football families.   His father is STILL coaching in the NFL down in Tampa.

We moved quickly, so the Colts clearly wanted him and moved decisively.   I like that.   Grigson likely knows him through league circles.   

Also, and this is something that's peculiar to me....  I like that he's an African-American.   I think it's an important issue for the NFL as a whole.    Having blacks in a position of authority is important.    I'm not suggesting for a second that this played any roil in his being picked.   He got picked because he's good.   Raye being black is just an added bonus.    For me, this issue is important, and I like being on the right side of it.

Just my two cents....

Colts have been very progressive in   these areas.  Like white coaches , some are good hires (Dungy), some not so good ( Caldwell). I think we have finally arrived at the point maybe where African-American  coaches  are not being more scrutinized than their other counterparts. By that I mean, once they fail somewhere, they are exiled . Lovie is going to get another gig soon, Dungy could have one if he wanted it yesterday,  Tomlin is looked at as a top tier coach. Still , when you compare the makeup of the league with the coaches and front office it seems there is still some underlying prejudices around and more progress to be made.

Really?  

Luck vs  Rivers..?  

Is that a "lateral" move?   Seams to be a Upward move .... 

JMO...