Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deangelo Williams

GoColtsGo5150

Williams still got it id say... he was never a great corner but he gives you depth... I doubt he could supplant anyone on the roster though.

Oops was thinking about the other deangelo Williams Lol..

If that's the case I'd take Williams over every back we got here

Buying shiny chrome accessories and rims doesn't make a piece of junk car run better, just look better. O-line needs to improve.

Thoughts? How about we get 5 Starting NFL Caliber O Linemen before we quit on our running backs, I find it hard to believe they forget how to run the ball

That's fair to think and I'm not disagreeing with you guys by any means, but I still think he would be a good person to look at if we needed to trade for a RB, especially if we improve our O-line in the Offseason ( if we can snag J long or Clady in FA, and Jones or Warmark in the draft, definitely a reasonable option)

And pick up an ungodly contract for an average player? No thanks.

I wouldn't consider him an average player considering his yards per carry is 5 ( higher than MJD and Shady McCoy), even in the "slump" he's in now he is averaging 3.5 Ypc ( still respectable)

http://m.nfl.com/new...p1000000085636/

If you read further down, lombardi mentions in a formal way that if they trade him, they can't afford to be picky, maybe if we offer next. years late picks. Any thoughts?

He will be 30 by the time next season rolls around, He is basically another Donald Brown without the hands, Williams fits a Zone Blocking scheme better in Carolina then he would here in Arians Man Blocking Scheme in my opinion. I'd love to get Jones or Warmack, chances are very good in my opinion if Brown got most of the snaps behind a good O Line then the call for a different running back would stop

He will be 30 by the time next season rolls around, He is basically another Donald Brown without the hands, Williams fits a Zone Blocking scheme better in Carolina then he would here in Arians Man Blocking Scheme in my opinion. I'd love to get Jones or Warmack, chances are very good in my opinion if Brown got most of the snaps behind a good O Line then the call for a different running back would stop

Gav it's like they wanna play fantasy football with the owners money every name we can't get , vonte is only 24 yrs old in his 4th yrs young Williams is 30 an on a decline why would we trade for him when we can get him or Stephen Jackson on a 4m 2yr deal next off season for vet depth

We still have Donald Brown under contract through next year and Ballard looked good last week and is just learning the game. Why do we need another back? And why do we want to spend big money on one? There are like 3-5 difference makers out there and even they get beat up. We have bigger fish to fry. If they release him and he clears waivers....ok...we can talk about a new contract. I agree in that he hasn't seen a ton of hits because of the time share there but still no way do I pay premium money for him.

That's fair to think and I'm not disagreeing with you guys by any means, but I still think he would be a good person to look at if we needed to trade for a RB, especially if we improve our O-line in the Offseason ( if we can snag J long or Clady in FA, and Jones or Warmark in the draft, definitely a reasonable option)

I wouldn't consider him an average player considering his yards per carry is 5 ( higher than MJD and Shady McCoy), even in the "slump" he's in now he is averaging 3.5 Ypc ( still respectable)

With all the teams needs, like OL, DL, SS... running back is the last area that we need to spend resources trying to upgrade.

Gav it's like they wanna play fantasy football with the owners money every name we can't get , vonte is only 24 yrs old in his 4th yrs young Williams is 30 an on a decline why would we trade for him when we can get him or Stephen Jackson on a 4m 2yr deal next off season for vet depth

I kinda like Stephan Jackson for a couple mil. He would make a great short yardage and goal line back. God knows we have trouble running in those situations.

If we were to trade for Deangelo Williams, his prorated cap hit for us would be about $3 million for the remainder of the 2012 season. The rest of his contract would be fairly easy to renegotiate, and if we released him at the end of the season, there would be no dead cap hit moving forward.

We're not going to trade for Deangelo Williams, but the money isn't prohibitive.

These threads have got to stop. Seems like at least once a Month a Thread is made about a RB we should Sign. If we don't Sign any O-Lineman, it won't matter who we Sign. A RB can't go anywhere by himself. Except Barry Sanders, but he wasn't Human so he doesn't count

If we were to trade for Deangelo Williams, his prorated cap hit for us would be about $3 million for the remainder of the 2012 season. The rest of his contract would be fairly easy to renegotiate, and if we released him at the end of the season, there would be no dead cap hit moving forward.

We're not going to trade for Deangelo Williams, but the money isn't prohibitive.

It is from their end. Last report the Panthers had about the same amount of space as the Colts(roughly 5 million), and moving him would create a 9.6 acceleration so they will have to restructure someone/somewhere(if they haven't already since the start of the season), to accommodate the move.

From a pure Colts perspective cap wise it is doable, but like you I don't see it happening.

It is from their end. Last report the Panthers had about the same amount of space as the Colts(roughly 5 million), and moving him would create a 9.6 acceleration so they will have to restructure someone/somewhere(if they haven't already since the start of the season), to accommodate the move.

From a pure Colts perspective cap wise it is doable, but like you I don't see it happening.

Good point. At this point of the season, that acceleration can't be split between 2012 and 2013. They'd probably have to restructure Jordan Gross' contract, moving some of his $8.5 million base salary into bonus. Maybe even someone else, since the portion of base salary to be converted would be prorated.

All this means that it doesn't make sense for the Panthers to trade him. It would be easier and make more cap sense to release him after the season. In all, this is the stupidest thing Marty Hurney did; you don't pay two running backs top ten money at the same time. I'm not even excited about the prospect of paying one running back top ten money. Williams and Stewart are the Panthers 3rd and 4th highest paid players, by total contract value. Just ridiculous.

Good point. At this point of the season, that acceleration can't be split between 2012 and 2013. They'd probably have to restructure Jordan Gross' contract, moving some of his $8.5 million base salary into bonus. Maybe even someone else, since the portion of base salary to be converted would be prorated.

All this means that it doesn't make sense for the Panthers to trade him. It would be easier and make more cap sense to release him after the season. In all, this is the stupidest thing Marty Hurney did; you don't pay two running backs top ten money at the same time. I'm not even excited about the prospect of paying one running back top ten money. Williams and Stewart are the Panthers 3rd and 4th highest paid players, by total contract value. Just ridiculous.

I agree that signing each of them to similar contracts was dumb(unless you plan on using them for 20+ carries each), then I could see maybe doiing it, but they are barely getting 20 carries a game between them.

His dumbest move was trading away a draft pick to move up to get Armanti Edwards who would have likely been available a few rounds later. I want to say they gave up a future 2 to snag Edwards in the 3rd.(I'm not 100% sure on that).

Another dumb move was paying Peppers his franchise tag of 16 million a year without either extending him or moving him. That is too much money not to treat as some form of an investment for the future(a lot like Freeney here this year).

This. The Panthers front-loaded his deal and after this season it's manageable. This isn't Madden, folks, you can't look at the numbers and assume you know how it's paid out.

That said, I'm not interested (I think he's pretty much done) and I don't think the Colts are interested. Vick Ballard is proving he can be effective, so lets get a line in front of him and see what he does. I'll even let Brown tag along behind him.

Another dumb move was paying Peppers his franchise tag of 16 million a year without either extending him or moving him. That is too much money not to treat as some form of an investment for the future(a lot like Freeney here this year).

I just don't know what we can do with him. I don't think anyone is going to trade for him, and I have major reservations about re-signing him. I mean, I'm not vehemently opposed to bringing him back, but it needs to be a VERY team friendly deal. I'm still not sure he's truly effective in this 3-4, and he's getting to that age where his effectiveness as a whole is dropping.

I just don't know what we can do with him. I don't think anyone is going to trade for him, and I have major reservations about re-signing him. I mean, I'm not vehemently opposed to bringing him back, but it needs to be a VERY team friendly deal. I'm still not sure he's truly effective in this 3-4, and he's getting to that age where his effectiveness as a whole is dropping.

I doubt anything will be done. I believe that ship has sailed. So has 14 million that could have been used elsewhere/down the road.

The point is that even with an extension part of/most of that 14 million he's earning this year should have been used as a signing bonus.

I think the answer to your question has been pretty much answered here. It's not happening.

And the original poster asked should we trade some late picks for Williams.

First, we likely don't have any late picks.

Second, if we do, the Panthers aren't looking for that for Williams. They want either better picks or a solid player to balance out the trade. They don't want a fire sale.

Our new tandem of Ballard/Brown, or Brown/Ballard, (however you want to look at it) is just fine.

If you told me I could have one either Williams Ballard or Brown, but only one, then I would give thought to Williams & Ballard, and would likely go with Ballard since he's younger/cheaper, and I don't think Williams is head and shoulders above him, but I would prefer the tandem of Mallard & the Duck over Williams alone.

We don't run a man blocking scheme, exclusively. There have been plenty stretch and inside zone runs from the Colts this year. Talent is the issue; not blocking scheme

We don't run a man blocking scheme, exclusively. There have been plenty stretch and inside zone runs from the Colts this year. Talent is the issue; not blocking scheme

I been saying we have several starting O Linemen who just dont fit the man blocking scheme in my opinion

Panthers' ex-GM was ignorant in doling out all those money to his RBs in a passing league, we should not need to bail them out for their ignorance. Sorry, RBC works just fine for us with what we have!!! If anything, spend the money in the trenches (O-line, D-line), and secondary, everything else will take care of itself.

I been saying we have several starting O Linemen who just dont fit the man blocking scheme in my opinion

They certainly don't fit a Mike Shannahan zone blocking scheme either. You need smaller, agile linemen for that scheme to succeed. Most of our guys are slow-footed, massive monsters who really don't excel in any one scheme. Reitz is the only one on our line that I could see being a great zone blocking linemen because of his basketball background. He's naturally quicker on his feet.