Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Prospect Bradley Chubb and a risky comparison

Considering we'll likely pick between 3 and 8, I'd like to see us run to the podium with Bradley Chubb written on the card. Just a half hour watching Chubb and you can see the major characteristics you look for in a high-quality DE/EDGE: He's relentlessness off the edge, runs down quarterbacks and running backs and has a nasty inside move that, while seemingly unorthodox for an edge rusher, is almost unblockable. I know this is kind of a lofty comparison, but he reminds me a lot of the little I've seen of Mean Joe Greene, even though Chubb's a DE.

Mean Joe Greene

Ht: 6' 4"

Wt: 276

Both quoted as "Gentleman off the field, nasty on the field", both relentless, both get into the heads of their opponent

Bradley Chubb

Ht: 6' 4"

Wt: 276

Chubb doesn't have quite the explosiveness or power that Mean Joe Greene had, and Chubb probably won't play any DT or nose. However, their traits and attitude on and off the field reflect each other pretty well.

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

We'll see how he test at the Combine. I think he'll put up good numbers and go top 15

yeah, i have to agree... it will depend on how he tests. His tape and production might be worth a top 5 pick... and if he tests like one, chances are we might not even get to have the chance to pick him. 

19 hours ago, stitches said:

yeah, i have to agree... it will depend on how he tests. His tape and production might be worth a top 5 pick... and if he tests like one, chances are we might not even get to have the chance to pick him. 

He will probably get pushed up the boards just because of the desirability for his position.  

It's funny how some say Chubb isn't worth the a top pick because of measurable but I'm telling you this dude will be a pro bowler. Look at Justin Houston 6-3 270 coming out with a 4.68 and Chubb is 6'4 275 and i gurantee he will run in the late 4.6 area. Another couple players who didnt have elite numbers coming out who was drafted high was Melvin Ingram and Brandon Graham. Ingram measured 6'1 264 with a 4.79 40 and Graham was 6'1 268 and ran a 4.72 40.And before any comments well Houston was a secound rounder that was due to off the field and projected as a first rounder. Im not sure if anyone watches his games but he has stand up and scouts like Daniel Jeremiah and Matt Miller have said he could stand up and be a 3-4 lb. If you also watch his games the guy gets Doubled team a whole lot and still gets pressures and sacks. I agree he doesn't have elite measurable but doesn't mean he isn't worth a top pick. His production is unreal and I'm praying the Colts snag him.

8 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

It's funny how some say Chubb isn't worth the a top pick because of measurable but I'm telling you this dude will be a pro bowler. Look at Justin Houston 6-3 270 coming out with a 4.68 and Chubb is 6'4 275 and i gurantee he will run in the late 4.6 area. Another couple players who didnt have elite numbers coming out who was drafted high was Melvin Ingram and Brandon Graham. Ingram measured 6'1 264 with a 4.79 40 and Graham was 6'1 268 and ran a 4.72 40.And before any comments well Houston was a secound rounder that was due to off the field and projected as a first rounder. Im not sure if anyone watches his games but he has stand up and scouts like Daniel Jeremiah and Matt Miller have said he could stand up and be a 3-4 lb. If you also watch his games the guy gets Doubled team a whole lot and still gets pressures and sacks. I agree he doesn't have elite measurable but doesn't mean he isn't worth a top pick. His production is unreal and I'm praying the Colts snag him.

also Derek Barnett didn't have great measurable coming out last year and he's doing pretty well for a rookie.

On 12/4/2017 at 12:31 PM, Coltsfan0112 said:

It’s not necessarily that he doesn’t have elite measureables, but that he doesn’t have an elite trait. Clowney had elite speed and burst off the line. Bosa had elite size, but elite hand usage and technique. Garrett had elite power. I don’t see that elite trait in Chubb that should make him a top 5 pick. My comparison for him has been Shaq Lawson. Similar stature and both were productive in their final seasons at college, but overall weren’t elite talents. 

I think we need to see Chubb at the Combine and perhaps his Pro Day to see how he tests.

I believe he projects to a 4-3 DE.        

Not all of those can make the transition to a 3-4 OLB.     Some can,  but not all players.

And making that determination is not always so easy.      

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we need to see Chubb at the Combine and perhaps his Pro Day to see how he tests.

Not all of those can make the transition to a 3-4 OLB.     Some can,  but not all players.

I also question his ability to be an every down player in the 3-4.

If we get a new DC are we going to stay in the 3-4?  Or will be switch to a 4-3?  This talk on Chubb might need to wait till we find out who our new DC will be and will he want to change?  I like Chubb's play but I am not sure he will fit our scheme.

I respectably disagree with your guys comments although I agree with some of the comments made. Yes he doesn't have the hand technique like Bosa or the speed by Garret or Clowney but not many players do but to even mention Lawson in the same breath is disrespectful in my eyes. Yes size wise they are similiar but play is completely different. Chubb hasn't had near the quality of players on the DL like Lawson had at Clemson. I don't know how many of you guys actually watch college football but if you watch his games this guy not only gets to the Qb quite often he also does being double teamed. Teams purposely set up game plans for him and he still causes havoc. He also sets the edge and plays the run beautifully and most pass rushers going in don't develop till later. He has a quick first step and can bend and has dropped back while playing at NC State not often though. All I'm saying is we could play the whole what if game about how he's not worthy based off Elite traits but it's not all about traits. It's about hard work and passion and this Chubb who I watched plenty of games of is worth a top 5 pick imo. Also not sure if anyone knows this but he just won't Best Defensive Player in college football.

1 minute ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I respectably disagree with your guys comments although I agree with some of the comments made. Yes he doesn't have the hand technique like Bosa or the speed by Garret or Clowney but not many players do but to even mention Lawson in the same breath is disrespectful in my eyes. Yes size wise they are similiar but play is completely different. Chubb hasn't had near the quality of players on the DL like Lawson had at Clemson. I don't know how many of you guys actually watch college football but if you watch his games this guy not only gets to the Qb quite often he also does being double teamed. Teams purposely set up game plans for him and he still causes havoc. He also sets the edge and plays the run beautifully and most pass rushers going in don't develop till later. He has a quick first step and can bend and has dropped back while playing at NC State not often though. All I'm saying is we could play the whole what if game about how he's not worthy based off Elite traits but it's not all about traits. It's about hard work and passion and this Chubb who I watched plenty of games of is worth a top 5 pick imo. Also not sure if anyone knows this but he just won Best Defensive Player in college football.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You can say that again.  I hate the idea of taking a player in the 1st. rd with the intent of having him switch positions.  Especially DE's. 

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is how I feel about Chubb too.

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

For every sack Chubb gets, our O line will give up 5. Luck is our number one priority. Until we get him and the line fixed, everything else should be a secondary need imo 

It's a no brainer for me, Ballard has to find a way to get Quenton Nelson on this team at good draft value! He will bring an attitude this OL lacks. 

I agree O-line is a priority but the most 3 important things that a nfl team need are a Qb, OT, and Pass Rush and you tend to use high draft picks to get them. The thing right now is their in too high of a spot to draft Nelson any other OT. Yeah they can trade down and hope he's still there and get em or you stick with BPA at the current spot they would be at which its looking like Chubb will be the best player at that spot and is a desperate need. Than early in the second round where they're at they can snag a Billy Price or Will Hernandez. Either way i think Ballard will make most people happy because he has made a point the game is won in the trenches. So I'm pretty positive he will be going OL or Pass Rush come April.

4 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I agree O-line is a priority but the most 3 important things that a nfl team need are a Qb, OT, and Pass Rush and you tend to use high draft picks to get them. The thing right now is their in too high of a spot to draft Nelson any other OT. Yeah they can trade down and hope he's still there and get em or you stick with BPA at the current spot they would be at which its looking like Chubb will be the best player at that spot and is a desperate need. Than early in the second round where they're at they can snag a Billy Price or Will Hernandez. Either way i think Ballard will make most people happy because he has made a point the game is won in the trenches. So I'm pretty positive he will be going OL or Pass Rush come April.

That’s not necessarily true. Nelson is arguably a more complete football player than Chubb. You know how we’re saying Chubb isn’t special like Garrett, Bosa, etc...? Well Nelson is special like that. 

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s not necessarily true. Nelson is arguably a more complete football player than Chubb. You know how we’re saying Chubb isn’t special like Garrett, Bosa, etc...? Well Nelson is special like that. 

But oh no you can't take a guard in the top 10!!! Who cares if your QB gets destroyed by another 50+ sacks guards just are not worth top 10 picks!! lmao

We should draft them later like we have the past 5 years and get garbage players again

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

But oh no you can't take a guard in the top 10!!! Who cares if your QB gets destroyed by another 50+ sacks guards just are not worth top 10 picks!! lmao

We should draft them later like we have the past 5 years and get garbage players again

The funny thing is, if we would of just went with the safe route with Grigson (high floor, low ceiling picks that basically hit their draft value most of the time but weren't superstars), we would of been SB contenders right now and Luck probably doesn't get the injuries he did. At this point, I'd take a whole group of 1st round picks like Nelson if they performed to their draft position and made the team better. Not always about the high upside athlete, usually I'd rather have the high floor football player that's an almost guaranteed hit in the first round (and 2nd sometimes).

26 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah let’s draft an inferior player at another position. Let’s do the exact opposite of what makes sense.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah let’s draft an inferior player at another position. Let’s do the exact opposite of what makes sense.

Honestly don't care if the defense can't be fixed this year if it means we finally fix the damn offensive line 50+ sacks is just ridiculous it has to end 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Honestly don't care if the defense can't be fixed this year if it means we finally fix the damn offensive line 50+ sacks is just ridiculous it has to end 

Yep, we can't go through the last 3 years again. Luck takes a while to read his options as it is, he doesn't need the line collapsing on him in under 2 seconds every play. Get a top lineman in FA, and figure out a way to get Quinton Nelson. If i was Ballard, I'd just get high floor football players who have a high chance of making an impact. There have been too many busts on this team the last 6 years, to the point where the team is ravaged in talent. We need to build a team around Luck, and more importantly, protection. Worry about the hype players when we have the luxury of doing so. Time is ticking on Luck's career, and it may of already been shortened.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, we can't go through the last 3 years again. Luck takes a while to read his options as it is, he doesn't need the line collapsing on him in under 2 seconds every play. Get a top lineman in FA, and figure out a way to get Quinton Nelson. If i was Ballard, I'd just get high floor football players who have a high chance of making an impact. There have been too many busts on this team the last 6 years, to the point where the team is ravaged in talent. We need to build a team around Luck, and more importantly, protection. Worry about the hype players when we have the luxury of doing so. Time is ticking on Luck's career, and it may of already been shortened.

Exactly people are freaking out cause some of us want to go o line the first 2 picks well if it keeps luck playing Thats a big win right there can't risk fully ending Andrew's career 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Exactly people are freaking out cause some of us want to go o line the first 2 picks well if it keeps luck playing Thats a big win right there can't risk fully ending Andrew's career 

I don’t even think it has to be the first 2 picks.  It just has to be one of the first 2 picks. Nelson just makes sense in the 1st round because he’s a blue chip talent, and there aren’t many in this draft.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t even think it has to be the first 2 picks.  It just has to be one of the first 2 picks. Nelson just makes sense in the 1st round because he’s a blue chip talent, and there aren’t many in this draft.

Well I wouldn't mind a Tackle as well if a good one drops to the top of round 2 of take him too plus a guard in FA and we can turn this crap line around 

On 12/7/2017 at 1:36 AM, crazycolt1 said:

If we get a new DC are we going to stay in the 3-4? 

do you think the guys we have now could make the switch to 4-3?  i wonder that myself

sheard is signed for two more years.    it would be hard to find a spot for him in a 4-3

simon also has two more years, but he could probably play one of the LB spots in a 4-3

anderson might have to go if we make the switch.  hankins and woods should be ok

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

do you think the guys we have now could make the switch to 4-3?  i wonder that myself

sheard is signed for two more years.    it would be hard to find a spot for him in a 4-3

simon also has two more years, but he could probably play one of the LB spots in a 4-3

anderson might have to go if we make the switch.  hankins and woods should be ok

Correct me if I'm wrong but New England ran a 4-3 when Sheard was there and he had some of his better years. I'm not sure if Anderson could and Simon might be relegated to a situational joker pass rush role.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but New England ran a 4-3 when Sheard was there and he had some of his better years. 

good point, they did run 4-3 at times.  they run pretty much everything there. not sure if sheard played DE or came off the field

From what I'm seeing if we had to pick then I would take Chubb.  Just because he's the BPA that makes sense.  But it seems like a trade down could give us so much more benefits.  Especially when you consider that DE isn't a real big need.  

We need at least. .  . 1 OG, 1 OT, 1 RB, a WR2, 2 ILB's, a Rush OLB and a CB1.

And that's assuming that Luck, Geathers, Hooker, and Anderson are all ready to play next year and that Mewhort is not only ready to play next year but is also re-signed.  It's also assuming that Quincy Wilson can play.  

Some of those slots will obviously be filled in via free agency.  However we're going to need a crop of good draft picks to help build this team up.  

• 1 month later...